IMDb > I'll Follow You Down (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
I'll Follow You Down

I'll Follow You Down More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Just when you think you know what is going to happen it throws something at you that shocks you right up until the end

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
26 June 2014

"Your dad never broke a promise ever and the way he looked at me at the airport, it just looked like he knew something." Marika (Anderson) and Erol (Osment) kiss goodbye to their husband and father at the airport as he leaves for a conference in New Jersey for a few days. When he never returns they begin to worry, when no one can find him they fear the worst. 12 years later Osment is told a secret by his grandfather that may answer the question that has plagued the family for years. I had no idea what to expect from this when I started to watch it. I was interested almost right away but when the time travel thing came up I laughed a little. The more I watched the less absurd it sounded and that actually became the reason I was so sucked in. This is a movie that was actually able to stay one step ahead of the viewer the entire time. Just when you think you know what is going to happen it throws something at you that surprises you right up until the ending that is both shocking and perfect. This is the type of movie that after you watch it all you want to do is tell everyone you know to watch it. That is the beauty of lower budget films. There aren't many blockbuster movies you rave about and think wow my friends need to see this. Overall, this sucks you in and keeps you interested the entire time trying to predict what will come next. I give this a high B+.

My Review Of "I'll Follow You Down"

Author: ASouthernHorrorFan from United States
20 May 2014

Richie Mehta's sci-fi/drama "I'll Follow You Down" stars Gillian Anderson, Haley Joel Osment, Rufus Sewell, Victor Garber and Susanna Fournier in a slow, steady melodrama that revolves around a family's agony after the mysterious disappearance of the patriarchal character Gabe, a young physicist researching wormhole theory and time travel. Years later son Erol discovers that there may be a chance to chance history and restore the timeline if he can find his father out of finishing the research.

The story in "I'll Follow You Down" deals with a lot of science material tied together through emotional character study but you don't have to be a smarty to follow along. Maybe to argue the laws of physics and such one would need to bone up on wormhole theories, quantum physics & mechanics but most people will be drawn in by the character drama that unfolds in the film. The cast is top notch and give moving performances with no overdrawn grandiosity, just straight forward compassionate well developed characters that really make the story enjoyable. The sci-fi or scientific theory aspect of "I'll Follow You Down" is written more matter of fact and what I imagine would be elementary so a good foundation of "Star Trek" or other sci-fi knowledge really works well in that element of the material. I did phase out a bit over "time line corrections without complicating things" because that goes over my head, but I still found everything relatable without being too wordy.

There is very little special effects in the film, most things boil down to a standard musical score that pulls at emotional elements of the film, there is a small practical effect and lighting effect against props to sell the "time machine" aspect that works just fine and without overstating the moment. "I'll Follow You Down" is really a family drama that has some sci-fi attached to it but mostly it is a well directed, well acted and completely executed drama that is enjoyable to watch. I enjoyed the film, the cast was great. The story is sweat and Haley Joel Osment gives a a commendable performance.

Haley Joel Osment could become an A-List adult actor.

Author: Reflux from Southern California
8 June 2014

"I'll Follow You Down" is that wonderful, inexpensive film you hope to see now and then which surprises the viewer with an explosion of talent from both sides of the camera. I am not going to go into the plot at all except to say that it involves the strong emotional relationships and motivations of people propelled into an off-center drama inspired by a science fiction story element.

The writer/director is Richie Mehta, who shows tremendous depth and common sense in his plotting and his characters' dialog, as well as in his non-gimmicky, straight-forward choice of how to use his camera to let the actors shine as they carry the story through to the last frame. I send kudos to Gillian Anderson, Rufus Sewell and Victor Garber for their "generosity towards up-and-coming film makers," in that they supplied wonderfully tuned supporting performances for what was likely very little income. Haley Joel Osment, who was a terrific child actor ("The Sixth Sense" and "A.I.") gives a rock-steady performance here as a multi-layered adult in his young twenties. If he gets the right future film choices, directed by people who correctly make use of his talent, he could become an A-List adult actor by his early thirties. In the meantime, try to catch this little gem of a movie whenever it is available as a theatrical, DVD and/or cable release.

I Like This Movie

Author: WildWombatt from California
13 July 2014

"I'll Follow You Down" is a decent movie that contains pleasant actors. I didn't have much of a high expectation for this movie, nor did I know what it was about when I first saw it, but found myself involved with the story line as well as its characters. It's an adequate drama/mystery/time travel movie that has an overall good story development and message.

The movie centers a lot around family, and a mystery that has to do with a boy's missing father. Although the movie caught my attention from the beginning, I did find the middle part of the story a bit slow, but it got more interesting as the movie progresses - and it carried all the way through the rest of the movie. I recommend watching this if you're into a bit of time traveling, mystery, and drama.

Enjoyed it

Author: SilkeJ from London, England
19 September 2014

This came on TV the other day and I had nothing else to do. I didn't know what the movie was about, or who the actors were. I recognized Haley Joel Osment, and kind of did a double take. (More of the "Yikes. Has it been that long?" kind.) The story is a sci-fantasy story, but that's not the driving factor. There is little (almost none) in the way of special effects, and it doesn't need it. The plot centers around Erol, whose father left for a conference, and disappeared. But there is more to it than just a disappearance, and with his grandfather he figures it all out. I thought the acting could have been better in places, as it was very character driven. I won't put spoilers, but I didn't see the ending coming. Definitely worth getting the popcorn out for.

Brilliantly flawed.. but ambitious as Heck!

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
20 February 2015

The fact that the writer and director are one and the same is your first tipoff that this film is going to be .... unusual.

It is very hard to review. I am not complaining. Just pointing out that any "easy" critiques are likely to be wrong.

For a time travel film, it probably has the least amount of time travel ever. That is a record.

For a sci-fi film it probably has the least amount of sci-fi ever. Another strange record.

It does work well as a high concept drama, the kind of thing Woody Allen likes to de-construct in his darker moments. It gets a lot of traction of the notion that, if you were in a relationship that you liked, but that relationship resulted from mishaps in the time-stream which you MAY be able to fix, and that time-stream had a lot of other really bad stuff in it, should you risk the repair even though you may throw the baby out with the bathwater? Literally.

But as I said, there are flaws. The acting, with the exception of Anderson and Sewell, both of whom get limited screen time, never quite reaches the levels it was supposed to reach.

There is a particular scene where a damaged young man tracks his own father back in time to correct an "error" (said father having attempted time travel, and never returned) and, as an older adult, confronts his own father in a quiet diner with a litany of the lives he destroyed by chasing his passion for experimentation. At first the father has no idea who is confronting him or why. Then the penny drops -- it is his fully-grown son! Now if you are a film buff, then you know a scene that powerful should resonate off the scale. The idea is brilliant. It is right up there with the "blackout" scene in HERE COMES MR JORDAN, itself one of the most powerful scenes in film history, The scene works. But only to a fraction of its real potential.

Just like the rest of this film.

A very nice little sci-fi movie

Author: dave355 from Cary, NC, United States
29 September 2014

I liked this movie!

As a scientist, I like sci-fi movies that don't have gaping, roll-your-eyes holes in the science. As awful lot of "small" sci-fi movie are just plain stupid. This is a small movie, with nothing much in the way of special effects, but it doesn't have that problem. It rings true.

I like smart characters, too, and I like decent, well-meaning characters. Too many movies are weighed down by characters who just make you want to grab them and shake them and scream, "what's the matter with you, you idiot?" Not this one.

There are no nasty, stupid, or unlikable characters in this movie, and, of the major characters, only Grace is a bit shallow. I'll Follow You Down combines excellent character development with a fine (if somewhat unoriginal) sci-fi plot, a couple of romances, a few nice plot twists, and just the right amount of suspense. Good movie!

intriguing sci-fi

Author: blanche-2 from United States
27 December 2014

I admit that I am fascinated by the whole idea of time travel, so I watched "I Will Follow You Down" with great interest.

Marika (Gillian Anderson) and her son Erol drop their husband and father off at the airport when he travels to a conference in New Jersey. He never returns.

Twelve years later, Erol (now Haley Joel Osment) learns not only what happened to his father, but also learns that there may be a way to get him back.

This film starts slowly but still manages to draw you in. It deals with not only time travel, but the ramifications of a situation change because of time travel. The acting is very good, with Osment turning in a top performance. Gillian Anderson is full of surprises - from X-Files to work in England, including a highly-touted Streetcar Named Desire - she's obviously a dedicated performer, and it shows here.

I liked it - you care about the characters, and the story is good. Can't ask for much more.

Decent sci-fi drama

Author: CJS from Australia
28 June 2015

Erol (Haley Joel Osment) and his grandfather (Victor Garber) work together using quantum physics to develop the ability to travel back in time, with the aim of repairing a family shattered by the disappearance 12 years earlier of Erol's father (Rufus Sewell).

This is a movie about relationships and the possible selfish impacts of time travel upon them. For example, if Erol travels back in time to prevent his father's disappearance, how can he guarantee his fiancée (Susanna Fournier) that they will still be together in the new version of the present day?

This is not an action movie. There are no special effects. It is essentially a mystery drama with time travel acting as the primary plot device.

I enjoyed the movie. Its definitely not perfect. A little slow in places.

I read several reviewers complain about the casting of Haley Joel Osment. I thought he was fine, though given his physical appearance it is hard to imagine him being the son of Rufus Sewell and Gillian Anderson and the grandson of Victor Garber. However, if you can suspend your disbelief and believe that a couple of men writing mathematical equations on a chalk board can make time travel possible, then anything is possible.

Brilliant

Author: Alex Vojacek from San Luis, Argentina
20 July 2014

I'll Follow you down is a pure SCI-FI drama played in slow build up style.

Gabe is a brilliant scientist who mysteriously disappears one day after following a trip, leaving his wife and kid stranded, years goes by then a sudden discovery will give light to how and why Gabe (the father) disappeared in the most bizarre way.

That's the idea pretty much. The movie moves very very slowly at the beginning, so slow that it will test your resolve, the problem with the whole idea is not due to the script nor the actors, since both are top notch, but it's mainly on the slow development at first and a very dull soundtrack.

Yes, I blame the partial slow first part due to music, it is incredible uninspired and it is constantly there. You know what happens when you play music all the time, it tends to diminish the effect on the scenes and that's exactly what happens here.

No need to cancel the movie just yet, since after the first half, the movie starts to gain speed, the music follows through with more grace and then the outcome... which is BRILLIANT to say the least.

Acting is really superb and Haley Joel Osment is really the star on this movie, without him this would probably be a failure, he really puts into his character giving a superb work.

It's nice also to see Gillian Anderson acting after so many years of watching X-Files, she was one of my favorite characters and she does a very good job too.

All in all, even with the slow first half, the movie has an incredible redeeming second part and a brilliant ending, pure SCI-FI at it's best and totally recommended.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]