IMDb > The Amityville Haunting (2011) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Amityville Haunting

The Amityville Haunting (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Surely that was meant as a practical joke?

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
25 December 2011

This movie was one of the worst waste of times I have ever had to sit through. Already from the very beginning, it was painstakingly obvious that this was going to be another delve into the likes of "Paranormal Activity" (which I didn't enjoy either).

But this movie? Come on! They take the Amityville name and then hype it up with one of these oh-so-great-and-oh-so-spooky documentaries, making it into a modern day version of the "Blairwitch Project". Yeah, great. Oh wait, except for it didn't working on any level.

The movie was an endless stream of really bad camera work, interrupted by this blackening-out screen and static sound whenever the entity was about to make something happen or make an appearance. What was up with that? I got thoroughly frustrated by the crappy camera work and the static sounds just added fuel to the fire called irritation with the movie.

"Amityville Haunting" is one of the most uneventful and frightfully boring movies I had ever had to sit through. Nothing even remotely scary happened throughout the entire movie, and I actually dozed off once or twice.

I am not a fan of movies of this caliber, and I didn't particularly enjoy any of the "Paranormal Activity" movies either, but checked them out because of the hype that was surrounding them. "Amityville Haunting", however, is just a cheap imitation of those movies, and then it is wrapped in a casing called "Amityville", a name that us horror fans will recognize from the early 80's.

"Amityville Haunting" was a sad excuse for a movie, and I wasn't the least bit entertained. If you are looking for a horror movie for the evening, or hoping to have at least a single scare, please, oh please, do pick another movie, because "Amityville Haunting" is just not worth it.

I know it's a low budget film but....

Author: mgreeny-uk from Sheffield, England
25 December 2011

The actual film was a parody of paranormal activity and the Amityville Horror, although it is the 'same' house it is now in the suburbs rather than countryside... but we need not mention the finer details. I loved both the original and Ryan Reynolds version of Amityville Horror so I thought that I would give it a chance regardless. It's not the same story or even a good sequel. It's shot like Paranormal Activity and seems to be an improv situation as no one really seems to know what to say. They try to add narrative with a child and a video camera who feels it necessary to annoy everyone in the film with the camcorder and me with his recap of each bad 'horror' segment. Where as in PA (which I did like) the characters seem scared... Not this kid, as he says things are 'really creepy'- Yes Tyler (or whatever generic name you have) it is actually if I was you I'd be like maybe we shouldn't be here rather than worry about your future career in documentaries.Although, he may get a job in one as he can't act.

This films acting I have got to say is pretty bad... really bad. I will watch films that give chance to new/young actors but I genuinely think they found these people on the street. I don't mean to offend but the emotions come across as if they were taken out of a labelled jar. The actors don't morph as a cast and the Dad's tone from the start makes me think that they casted him because he has the attitude of a serial killer with a slow mono-tone voice, and thats pretty much it.

I wanted to like this film due to my likings of any horror with a half decent storyline and OK effects. But even as low budget I cannot see any need for this film... No one is going to get a career from this.

Amateur-ville Haunting Cameras

Author: amesmonde from http://amzn.to/MoCNii novelist/producer
23 December 2011

Actual found footage that documents the horrifying experience of a family that moved into the infamous Amityville haunted house.

Opening with words in "1974" blah, blah "Defoe murdered his family", blah,"Lutz" blah, "32 years later", blah blah "what you're about to see is real". Then an aeroplane blonde graces the screen under torch light. After quick bloody death, your taken to the POV of a budding mini Steven Spielberg as he films his family.

It's indicative of Paranormal Activity and the recent Grave Encounters found footage films. With security camera's installed it's all be done and at one point it becomes a found footage within a found footage film.

Both female leads are effective enough, it's not an awful film, the acting is at times naturalistic but the issue is that this style of horror has already been done and done better with more imagination. Every line is a cliché , opening doors, accidental deaths, the wife that doesn't want to live in the house, no one believes the children, spook- less dark images, moving objects and so on.

At the midway mark as the 'boyfriend' vanishes and the police turn up you can help roll your eyes as the acting and script take a turn for the worse. The son becomes annoying due to the unnecessary explanatory dialogue and the father goes laughable loopy as he goes head to head with the entity. There are a few moments in the closing scenes where director Geoff Meed slightly redeems the film but it's too little too late.

The problem with The Amityville Haunting is that it perpetrates to be real and pushes the fact right to the end but nothing feels credible. The sound design is pretty effective if somewhat miss-placed missing the mark at times.

Overall, less effective than the Paranormal Activity series, clearly not much has improved since The Blair Witch Project.

The haunting of a home by an evil presence that is intent on removing or worse yet killing the current residents.

Author: My_Opinion-245-920801 from United States
24 December 2011

The Amityville Haunting was yet another movie filmed in the ultra- irritating 1st person style. The title has the word haunting in it, which to a lay-man like myself, lends itself to indicate there might be a chance you will be scared. I can only tell you there is no such scene. Sadly, this was an awful movie; there was so much script material, and different avenues that could have possibly been explored. Yet, the writers and Directors failed to follow any type of format that would resemble a professional movie; you might say, whatever does he means. Well, allow me to expand, this movie was filmed in such a way, that we are to assume that a child filmed it, really! Why, would anyone want to pay to see a film that has no plot, flow, professionalism, or natural progression, nothing! Yes, I am slightly perturbed, I actually was rooting for this whole family to be mutilated, and that's how annoying this movie was. I rooted and kept thinking to myself: I can't wait for this annoying kid with the camera to get it!

Has to be 0 for shoddy camera work for starters

Author: Kim Rob from Australia
26 December 2011

Watched 20 minutes of this utter waste of film space before I couldn't handle the DT's of camera work any further. OK, so since the first Amityville, there has been a keen interest in the paranormal & the story surrounding the so called Amityville Horror. I could have asked my 3 year old son to hold the cam steadier than the actors or so called actors in this so called movie. It is really that bad, not anywhere near the hopeless camera work of Blair Witch or Paranormal Activity, 100 times worse than that. If you're looking for a scare, go to Walmart & watch what some shoppers choose to wear when spending up big. Please, save your 30 seconds of your life in watching this trash. You will thank me later.

1 because it made me laugh

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
25 April 2012

I have seen all 8 movies and the remake of Amityville. (This movie not to before confused with the upcoming found footage movie

The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes (2012))

(Here comes the 10th movies By by asylum) in the series, which is a found footage movie for the series!.

The movies start with saying, This footage you are about to see is real!.

It start with 4 drunk teenagers who break in and then drink and have sex with there a bit of nudity , while filmed by Phone and we see some one sucked in the door and blood sprays and girls scream and cuts to black screen (This happens under 2 minutes at start of the movie.

Then it cuts to a new family moving into the house Dad and wife, oldest is daughter in her teens, only one boy who's that documenting the things around the house and there a little girl You already know what roles they going to play!.

The acting and script were both really horrendous, all the chacaters are so annoying, that you what something really bad to happen to them, The boy was the only one that didn't annoy me at all!

This movie is not creepy or scary but do have one or two descent jumps scenes here and there and some scare are so utter silly that it will make who laugh!

The movie goes from bad to worse as it goes on and it is really hard to watch this movie, i still can not believe I saw the whole movie. T he worst movie in the series and this has to be one the worst horror movie of 2012! yes 2012.

1 out of 10

Umm what?

Author: zitzy2000 from United States
24 December 2011

This will have a spoiler.

OMG!! What in the world did I just watch? I love these kinds of movies, Blair Witch Project, The Jersey Devil, Paranormal Activity, love em all, but this? This was made by Asylum, so that should give you a giant red flag there, if the 1 star wasn't apparent. But forgiving that it's a rip off of movies that are already out there, the acting is just down right awful.

When the Tyler kid sees something for the first time, he sees a shadow of some sort, his line was.. Ah! No scream, no nothing behind it, just the word.. Ah, and then he ran! This is the spoiler.

When your kid stabs you in the heart, do you sit there, making groaning sounds.. lay back, then wait a few seconds, then put your hand over your heart, and shake a little bit, still groaning, then all of a sudden you stop your groaning, and let your hands flop down your side.

End of spoiler.

Come on!! This was a ridiculous acting performance done by everyone involved.

Not bad as found footage films go

Author: magwell-1 from A remote cabin in the wilderness
23 March 2012

I don't know why people have such a problem with this film. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the silly reviews here make it out to be. People complain about the acting. While the performances here are far from Oscar-worthy, they are still reasonably competent. Wanna see a case of bad acting? Check out Strawberry Estates for an example of some truly awful performances by the entire cast.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the 'found footage' sub-genre, but I thought this film delivered some genuinely creepy moments. It doesn't break any new ground or tell us anything we didn't already know about the history of the Amityville saga, but I enjoyed it for what it was. It's certainly hands down better than most of the Amityville sequels we've been subjected to over the years.

Well, at least it isn't boring

Author: sgtking from United States
16 March 2012

It's amazing how fast a successful trend is copied in Hollywood. Filmmakers and studios just jump on the bandwagon to make some bucks. The "found footage" concept is one that has been the subject of many recent Horror films. It began most effectively with the controversial 1980 film 'Cannibal Holocaust.' In 1999, audiences around the world were terrified by 'The Blair Witch Project,' which too used this gimmick. Since then there have been many more examples of this, ranging from quite good to forgettable junk. It appears the next chapter in this trend is making sequels to once successful franchises using this gimmick. I have to say, it's not exactly getting off to a great start.

Pros: Actors do the best they can. At 79 minutes, the film never drags. Fans of the series may dig the homages to the original, including the flies. Making a kid the protagonist is something rare in Horror.

Cons: Perfunctory script. Brings nothing new to the table. Opening sequence has little to do with rest of the film. Lame attempts at scares. Crap visual effects. Tries to tie a real life murder case, specifically The Benson Murders, to the Amityville house. Supposed to be set in the original house, but they didn't even try to find a look-alike.

Final thoughts: Just another useless sequel, which is no surprise. The fact that it's made by The Asylum should give some indication about it's quality. It's not as bad as the painful 'Paranormal Entity,' but still deserves to collect dust on the shelf. Sure we didn't need the other sequels either, but a lot more imagination was put into those.

My rating: 1.5/5

Lame!

Author: bonedigger50
31 December 2011

This the one of the most laughable "films" I have ever seen. Bad acting, bad dialog, bad everything. The quality of everything that has to do with this movie is bad. It is not a true story - even though they try to make you believe it is. You would think that after the other horrible movies that were filmed like this - Blair Witch Trial, etc. they would have learned their lesson and given the whole "experience" a well deserved rest. The question I asked myself at the very beginning of the movie was "Why would you move into a house that has had something that terrible happen there?" And then half way through the movie the detective asks them that same question. My question to myself was - "Why did you waste the $2.50 to rent it in the first place?Don't waste your money!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]