IMDb > Thunderstruck (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck More at IMDbPro »

'Thunderstruck' - Who's Got the Talent?

Author: rannynm from United States
1 September 2012

We all love to root for the underdog, when he becomes top dog through a fluke rather than hard work, well, it's not so satisfying. Brian Newall, who magically acquires the talent of his hoops hero Kevin Durant (who plays himself), eventually finds he'd rather get the talent back to its rightful owner. There are plenty of laughs along the way, from Brian's klutzy ball-playing in the beginning to what KIDS FIRST! youth film critic Brianna Beaton, age 12, describes as her favorite scene, when Kevin's agent "is trying to get Kevin his talent back. He is doing all kinds of things, going from holding the basketball together with saying a message to rubbing the carpet and then finally to a stun gun." Brianna was there at the red carpet to interview cast members, including father and son actors James and Robert Belushi who share how they brought comedy from their own relationship to the script.

Thunderstruck Reviewed by Brianna Beaton (See her full review on video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkfvV7swlqE)

Thunderstruck, starring NBA superstar Kevin Durant, is a funny and inspirational film that is definitely enjoyable to watch.

Brian Newall (Taylor Gray) is horrible at basketball. He loves the game, but he just cannot play. Brian is a very big fan of NBA superstar Kevin Durant. While at a basketball game, Brian gets a chance to meet the superstar and supposedly steals Kevin's talent. Kevin Durant, playing himself, is suddenly horrible at basketball while Brian is the new superstar on his high school team. Kevin is worthless and is on the receiving end of all the bad publicity from fans and sports commentators. Kevin's agent, Alan Garrett, (Brandon T. Jackson) goes to great lengths to try and get Kevin his talent back.

I really like this film because I just love basketball. It is my favorite sport and I really get into the game. There are a lot of funny moments when Brian is playing with his team and he is showing how really klutzy he is. Coach Amross (James Belushi) and his assistant coach Dan (Robert Belushi) are too funny and will definitely keep you laughing. My favorite scene is when Alan is trying to get Kevin his talent back. He is doing all kinds of things, going from holding the basketball together with saying a message to rubbing the carpet and then finally to a stun gun. This is really funny. I also like the scene with Kevin's mom in a cheerleader's outfit.

One great message in this film is that talent isn't something you get; talent is something that you earn with hard work and dedication.

I recommend this film for ages 7 to 18 and anyone who loves the game of basketball. If you are a fan of Kevin Durant, then you will not want to miss this one.

I give Thunderstruck four out of five stars because it's funny, has a good message and is great for the whole family to enjoy.

The Truth Will Set You Free

Author: edshullivan from Canada Toronto Ontario
5 August 2013

I will preface my review by stating this is not a religious themed movie. It is however a movie that children over the age of 10 may learn a few valuable lessons about life, truly believing in one self, and being honest with not only your self, but with people we come in contact with. One of the key messages embedded in the movie was for people not to pretend they are somebody they are not.

The story evolves around a teenage boy named Brian Newell (Taylor Gray), who is a typical teenage boy who aspires to be as good as his professional basketball idol, Kevin Durant. Kevin Durant plays himself in the movie. (Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley also make cameo appearances as broadcasters in the movie.) Kevin as we know him, is an exceptional NBA basketball star, who is humble about his natural god given talent, and willing to sign everyone's autograph. During one of Kevin Durant's NBA games, Kevin witnesses young Brian failing miserably during the half time intermission trying to sink a basketball at half court. To make Brian feel a bit better about missing his once in a life time shot at being the super star everyone idolizes, Kevin unselfishly signs a basketball for Brian and explains to Brian that "hard work beats talent, when talent does not work hard", and with those words, Brian miraculously inherits Kevin's basketball abilities, and unfortunately for Kevin Durant, he inherits Brian's former lack of ability to sink a basket.

The story then evolves how Brian deals with his new found (and totally unexpected) basketball talent and success with the lovely new girl in town Isabel Sanchez (Tristin Mays). This is a story of a young man "paying a good deed he received from Kevin Durant, forward". There are a few good messages for preteens and teenagers about team work, truth, and friendship, as well as being an entertaining movie for the entire family. It is well worth the watch and at least a plus 5 rating on IMDb.

Unoriginal

Author: Jackson Andress from United States
18 June 2013

The plot is like a mix between Like Mike and Space Jam. It was pretty gosh darn awful. I mean a pro basketball player (Kevin Durant) gets his powers magically switched with a nerdy high school kid. It just lacks originality and creativity. Maybe an 8 year old boy would like it, but other than that, I don't think that anyone would enjoy this movie. It's predictable, slow moving, and unfunny. The only scenarios in which you should watch this movie are a) you have an 8 year old kid or b) you want to watch because it's so cheesy and bad that it's funny. All in all just try to stay away from this movie. If you want to give your 8 year old something to watch, show them Like Mike or Space Jam and not this horrible crossover.

Chix Chat on Film Review: Underwhelming basketball.

Author: Emma Dinkins (emmadinkins@chixchatonfilm.com) from Texas, United States
24 August 2012

Thunderstruck is yet another short guy's hoop dreams fairytale. Brian Newall (Taylor Gray) is a huge Kevin Durant fan much like me, so I was pleased with how the story focused on this amazing NBA player. I was totally pulling for the Thunder in the NBA playoffs, but alas it wasn't their time. Initially I figured that this was a Space Jam like film for this generation of young hoopsters to see a current fan favorite in a life situation other than simply on the court or I thought it might be a Like Mike kind of film. Unfortunately, it didn't have the charisma or heart of either of those two films. The funniest scenes are when Alan (Brandon T. Jackson) tries to fix "the situation" with all nature of high fives and fist pumps. But it's sad when you resort to ball on balls physical comedy for laughs. Again, I am a Kevin Durant fan and consider him one of the most talented ballers in the game today, but he and Candace Parker Williams have some serious work to do if they want to build an acting resume. It helped that Brandon T. Jackson and James Belushi (Coach Amross) are good actors but they did not make enough of a difference to balance out the poor acting. The only common factor with this film and Space Jam was Sir Charles Barkley in his current role as a TNT basketball commentator. He was as funny in this film as ever. I laughed audibly when he remarked that Shaq had been working with Kevin on his free throws. If you want to make a Space Jam or Like Mike type of movie it has to have magic, even though there was some inexplicable magic in this film it wasn't that game winning shot kind that leaves your exhilarated and satisfied with the final triumph. I did realize though that you have to have some basketball talent to make it appear that you have no basketball talent. If it were the beginning of summer and you wanted to get the kids out of the house then send them to this film for an hour and a half of peace, but since it isn't you are better off saving your dollars. This film was like a drawn out commercial for the NBA, Nike and Kevin Durant, unfortunately it was less memorable than his data plan commercial. You can see basketball on TV, you can see the TNT announcers on TV and you should really wait until this film comes to TV to see it. I give it a red light.

Don't Be Hatin!!

Author: ghandibonez
11 July 2013

I am from OKC and was underwhelmed when I heard Kevin Durant was making a kids/family movie. Then I checked it out, And was impressed. People say Durant did a bad job.. He played himself and seemed to do that just fine. He had a lot of simple lines but was still believable.Sure, the Plot is not completely original and reminds us of other films..Like Mike, Space Jam and others..but it had a lot of good laughs and The acting was good in my opinion..a fun family movie that is definitely Worth watching. Plus Belushi did well. If you like basketball Or even just a good movie for the family to sit back and enjoy, watch it! I really didn't expect to like it because it sounded corny, and honestly, it was corny in parts. A lot of family movies have some corniness so deal with it! Ignore the hate and

see it for yourself 7.5/10 so I rounded up to 8.

Breaking New Ground

Author: d-bernstein from Canada
9 July 2013

This film, at first glance just a bit of adolescent fluff, is very much worth watching. Among its happy reasons:

1.it is expertly crafted: you're in the hands of very skilled folks , both behind and in front of the camera, who are masters of the art of pleasing with seeming artlessness

2.it pivots around an actual live person, a superstar, who â€" and this is the heart of its appeal, its unique grabber - PLAYS HMSELF! Not just in a cameo role or walk- on, but in scene after scene after scene, looming gigantically throughout yet always with the actor's attribute that is most prized by movie directors â€" understatement.

3.For almost the entire movie this superstar must portray himself as his own negation - a failure, an utter incompetent, a flop of zero market value. How many of today's multi-millionaire superstars would have the â€" maturity? Character? Self-cnfidence? Whatever â€" to portray themselves as the total antithesis of their quintessential image? KD breaks new ground â€" and he does it with all the grace and charm and acting skill you could want.

4.The film's dramatic structure is worthy of the classics: it spins out not one but two fantasies in equal measure, equally compelling, totally opposite in content yet inseparably interlocked, providing all the necessary dramatic tension. On the one hand there's the trite adolescent sunshine daydream; on the other, the dark nightmare of a superhero whose power suddenly and inexplicably vanishes. Two universal fantasies. It takes a deft sensibility to dream it up and pull it off.

5.The cast are all so splendid in their respctive roles and a pleasure to behold. Taylor Gray of course, and Brandon Jackson; and James Belushi, as coach Amross, creates a memorable new comic character.

6.Beyond all of the above and more is that the film never lets you forget one important fact: it's all a spoof, a slice of plain good fun. So, watching it, you never have to be anxious or frowny; just be cool, love it for what it is, have a couple of hours of harmless fun - regardless of your age (I'm 82) and relish a new-found respect for the man KD and for all the others who made it happen!

An Entertaining Teen-Age Film

Author: Intern2014 from United States
24 March 2013

Thunderstruck is a teen-age film that features Oklahoma City Thunder and NBA superstar Kevin Durant together with Taylor Gray, Jim Belushi, Brandon T. Jackson,Tristin Mays and Doc Shaw.

The story's a simple one.Brian Newall is a big fan of the Oklahoma City Thunder and the team's standout player Durant, but short and clumsy himself, he's relegated to managing the Eagles, the high-school team coached by self-promoting coach Amross and his lock-step assistant. Brian's also tormented by his little sister Ashley, who posts videos of his backyard catastrophes at the basket, which are then picked up and shown on campus by team star Connor. All this when Brian is trying to impress the pretty new girl, Isabel.

When Brian's dad takes him to a Thunder game to cheer the kid up, the boy's selected to try a half-time prize shot, which he muffs badly, conking the mascot instead. Durant consoles him by giving him a signed ball, but unknowingly also his own talent. Suddenly Durant can't nail the basket at all, sending his team down the tubes, while Brian becomes the Eagles' spark plug, making incredible moves and scoring forty and fifty points a game—bringing him campus adulation and Amross the dream of a state championship. Unfortunately, in the process Brian gets a swelled head, ignoring his best friend Mitch and alienating Isabel.

Fortunately Durant's agent Alan figures out what's happened and desperately tries to reverse the talent switch, though he must first convince Durant he's not just suffering a terrible slump. And, of course, Brian has to come to his senses and realize he shouldn't profit from somebody else's ability without working for the skill himself—or ditch his friends. One guess as to how things turn out.

The film has a great, if not commonplace, message: Work hard to get ahead. Don't take any shortcuts. Those teachable moments make it a worthy diversion for parents and kids already cheering for Durant, the NBA or sports-themed entertainment. Durant's personal motto, which is repeated often, is "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard." And that slogan acts as the backbone of the film, educating young audience members about the importance of practice. Nothing wrong with kids wasting 90 minutes if they come away with that theme.I am sure that people who love basketball and Durant fans would love this one too.Boys of a certain age—and their sports-minded dads—probably won't mind. For them, it won't be earth-shaking, but it should prove a harmless invitation to spend a little quality time together.

Cute movie for kids and parents

Author: anygirl2012 from United States
9 December 2012

This movie was better than I expected for a straight to DVD rental. The characters were very likable and well cast. It had a ton of very funny parts, slick fast paced basketball scenes and some nice break ins with other well known stars (Conan, other basketball players, etc). I am not a basketball fan, so I have never heard of Kevin Durant, but I am a fan after seeing him in this movie. My six year old son and I both really enjoyed the movie and it was great to not watch a totally dumbed down cartoon movie with no plot. We actually watched it twice in one day, that's how much we liked it! I'd say that this movie would be best for kids 5 - 10.

It was predictable in its format and that last 10 minutes were basically a carbon copy of most other movies of this type, so don't be shocked. It isn't an Oscar contender, but compared to other movies starring athletes, this was a good one. I'll buy it for our collection for snow/rain/sick days. Enjoyable, laid back, perfect for mom/dad to read the paper while the kid is entertained for a full 1.5 hours. Solid 7/10.