IMDb > The Great Wall (2016/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A Very Entertaining Film

Author: captainpat from Sydney
29 December 2016

As a constant film goer I was really impressed with this film. It was entertaining. The story worked well. The acting was great. And the effects were really impressive. I watched it on a big screen in Bangkok and enjoyed the experience. The sound was equally impressive.

I just can't understand why the really negative reviews abound. Some are cursing it for having foreign actors. Others about the political situation etc. And the poor director is even getting a caning.

The story is about a legend. And it was wonderful to just sit back and let someone tell a story. I nearly didn't go because of all the bad reviews but I am glad I went and made up my own mind.

Go and see it.

There are many legends about The Great Wall, this is one of them...

Author: Dan Mihai from Craiova
26 December 2016

I just saw it in Romania in a good 3d cinema. The movie tells a legend. And it tells it so beautifully! The cinematography is breathtaking and for all the duration I was more than a movie spectator, I felt part of that legend, a character from that story, present among the troops defending the wall. If a movie succeeds in delivering such an experience, the rest is not important anymore.

In this point, I don t care anymore about plot holes or historical inaccuracies, because I came to cinema to see a fantasy, a Chinese legend with monsters and heroes. And there I was, in a war story, set in a different world, filled with amazing elements of the old Chinese culture, surrounded by exceptional warriors, beautiful landscapes and bloodthirsty monsters. I am very saddened to see the negativity among critics and public surrounding this movie. Complaining about historical inaccuracies or being racist about the mix of races is so misplaced. I hope people will go see it and ignore the bad criticism and prejudices about it.

Amazing visual display and acceptable level of clear plot

Author: Thomas Tang from Ningbo, China
30 December 2016

The Great Wall is truly a visual feast so would better to watch on 3D or IMAX. Some Chinese spectators have criticised its poor story and plot. However, I don't think it is necessary to design a rather complicated story as it has to tailor towards the audiences on the globe not just for Chinese preference that non-Chinese may be uninterested in ,or that may be difficult for them to understand. So non-Chinese audiences are able to capture at least the big picture of the whole story behind. This is a well trade-off for film makers, balancing the plot to an acceptable level for international audiences.

I cant understand why so many Chinese "audiences"(they did not even watch it before making comments) pretending to be international voters with broken English, are lopsidedly voting 1 and making negative comments here without any constructive and objective ideas.And even more ridiculous,they then go back to Chinese movie - grading website, with a screenshot of their own 1 star derogatory comments, misleadingly saying that foreigners also unlike the great wall as they do.

Some even said this is a fake story. Come on haters, it is said at the beginning of the movie that this is based on one of the legend (a fairy tale) of The Great Wall.I don't think its a point to discuss it.

Overall, I would award 9/10 the reminder 1/10 would be the length duration. It is exciting but too short. If it could extend to around 2 hours and add certain level of plot that would be awesome.

Hope to see more Hollywood-style movies with Chinese historical and cultural elements in the future.

Good Story, lots of action

Author: lennybuttz from Green Bay WI, U.S.
30 December 2016

From the description I read of the movie, it sounded kind of strange and I wasn't sure it was something I really wanted to watch. I'm glad I did. It's an old legend or story. Is it real? I don't know, is Santa Claus real? Does it matter if it is true or accurate? Not to me, it is a well written movie with some incredible action. The visuals are stunning to say the least. The costumes are incredible and I am very happy that most of the movie wasn't filmed in the dark which seems to have become the habit of Hollywood these past few years.

It is sad to see Matt Damon growing old but he still did a great job, I wonder how long he's going to be able to keep up doing physically demanding roles. If I am totally honest I would have liked the movie with a younger man in the lead role, that would have been a little more believable to me.

I totally recommend this movie, it has fantasy, action a tiny bit of romance so your girl can appreciate it, most of all it raises a lot of emotion. There were several times during the movie I was on the edge of my seat holding my breath anticipating the next moment.

I enjoy it a lot. Ignore the critics.

Author: najibmb from Singapore
31 December 2016

I can't stand these unfair and unreliable reviews.

So, this is my first review for a Chinese film. I would say I felt the same feeling of excitement when I watched Lord of the rings (LOTR). I even like The Great Wall more than the hobbit.

We've watch hundreds of movies with bad reviews and we knew that as long a film has at least one 10/10 fair review, don't hesitate to watch a movie. Ignore the noise of negative people. Let them get sick with their views.

This is great movie that combines history and fiction. Enjoy it! Just like what the actors said.. "TRUST"!!!

This movie simply tries to do too many things at once

Author: Kevin-42 from somewhere out there
29 December 2016

First of all, this movie does a lot of things right. The costume designs are great, the set designs are very convincing and the CGI is, although not cutting edge, up to modern standards in film-making. The music score could have been better but maybe the composer had a Chinese audience in mind.

The acting will not win any Oscars but we see some genuine moments of emotion and bonding and believe it or not but there are one or two scenes with a good suspense arc. Moreover, Jing Tian has a nice smile and looks really fine in uniform. That might be my own idiosyncratic standard but an attractive female lead certainly adds to the "positives".

With all that praise then, why does it fall short of being a truly great movie? As my summary indicates it is simply overloaded with too many plot devices. It's a hero/East meets West/monster/action/tale of betrayal and redemption/romance/fantasy movie loaded with Chinese symbolism capped by a rather weak, anticlimactic and hurried cookie-cutter ending. The audience never has enough time to get emotionally invested in the characters. The script tries but there simply isn't enough time to do it all and eventually the movie does too little to explore any of the plot elements and characters.

Nevertheless, it is not a bad movie and certainly not ambitious enough to deserve any of the vitriol people read into the story without ever watching the movie. I was entertained but not really awestruck.

I've never thought it would be THIS good...

Author: darryl-42069 from Pontianak, West Borneo, Indonesia
14 January 2017

I'll be honest, I thought that this movie will be very bad. Came out in the month where movies expected to be blessed with negative reviews, it was no surprise that I thought it would be one of those ill-fated movies.

In the end, I've underestimated it.

"The Great Wall" follows William (Matt Damon), a mercenary who tries to obtain the "Black Powder", a deadly explosive, only to get caught in a battle against monsters that awakens every 60 years. For those who doubt that it will be good, mark my words: Don't underestimate this movie. The movie was a surprise all the way to finish. The acting was great, The visuals were amazing, the cinematography was breathtaking, and the action were incredible. Matt Damon as always gives a fine performance as the hero (Heck, even his Mandarin, although only a word, is very good). Andy Lau were also great as Strategist Wang in his first Hollywod movie. The biggest surprise was the female lead played by Jing Tian, she's really good and surprisingly, pretty fluent in English. William Dafoe (I not expect him to be in this movie) is also very great. Lu Han (Yes EXO-L's! It's EXO's Luhan!) is a scene stealer. Although he has a small role, He's very good at acting and truly one of my favorite characters in the movie. My criticism was it's plot. It's basic idea is like Independence Day with Chinese culture mix. Although it actually worked very well, but *SPOILER ALERT!!!* Kill the queen or we all die?", come on writers, you can do better than this. Another one is the length. A 100 minute movie isn't enough for a story with this kind of scale. If only the studio made it like 2 hours, it would be better for more character development and understanding the story.

Additionally, I don't understand all the negative reviews, especially from Chinese audiences. I'm a Chinese-Indonesian, and I absolutely love this movie. I saw criticism about the main lead being American. I'm telling you, there are 5 main leads in the movie, and *SPOILER ALERT!!!* 3 of them are Chinese, Plus most of the focus IMO are directed to the Chinese main characters. Another one is that the movie isn't based on the legend of The Great Wall. This is a fantasy movie, so of course it's not! The film even mentioned it in the beginning!!! To me, these negative reviews are purely hate for this movie. I think that most of them haven't seen the movie and simply hate it for no reason.

Overall it was a surprisingly good movie, and arguably one of the greater movies in January. If you want to see a fantasy movie, this is a perfect movie for you

If you really like monsters, this is the movie for you.

Author: latinfineart from Los Angeles
4 January 2017

I will start by saying this movie was an absolutely sumptuous production. The sets, costumes, armies, weapons, and locations were spectacular. All of the money spent on this movie was right up there on the screen. And typical of this director, the production, cast, and crew were well handled. Damon was OK, but his Irish accent was dreadful, a distraction, and completely unnecessary. For an actor as good as he is, it makes me think he did not want to speak with an authentic accent, as it would have diminished the box office, if people could not understand him. His sidekick was decent, played by Pedro Pascal, who played Oberyn Martell in the fourth season of Game of Thrones, and is excellent in Narcos. The humor was OK.

The best part of the movie was the Commander, played by Jing Tian. She was ravishing. The kind of beauty you just do not see in Hollywood anymore, due to the emasculation of American society, in my opinion. It has to be one of the reasons why so few Hollywood actresses are really beautiful. So few. It is remarkable how few.

The issue I had with the film was the monsters. These marauding beasts got old very quickly. And it seemed like most of the movie was more or less centered around them. So, if you like marauding beasts, that are extremely ugly, powerful, ruthless, and pointless, you might like this movie.

Not a masterpiece for sure, yet enjoyable

Author: saeerdna
2 January 2017

If you don't have any expectations, this film might surprise you a bit. I really liked the special effects, even if I started laughing when I first saw the antagonists.

Most scenes between battles were quite awkward, full of clichés. Yet, once the battle begins, any cliché this film might have is really fun to watch and not at all annoying.

What I hated the most was the unfortunate English accent... used during the Song dynasty (960-1279).

Overall, the plot is quite linear and simple and is centered around one important moment. Character development was welcoming, but not impressive and definitely not unexpected. The best part was not fulfilling the love sub-plot, even though I half expected this and I would have been really disappointed if it had happened.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable film with better 3D effects than I expected and many other films, so give it a try. But be open minded and admire what is to be admired.

A Mediocre Film

Author: Jerry
23 December 2016

Frankly, it is not a good film. Although its visual is magnificent, the story is too simple and not so intelligent. Firstly, the characters of some roles is rigid and vague. Forever, just as in other films, the soldiers are brave and the generals are loyal, and people who were born for money learn at last take the responsibility and believe in something great. But we are already tired of this kind of roles and we need to see some personalities in them. Secondly, some parts of plot in this film are funny. When Pedro waved the red cloth and helped Matt kill a monster, it is awkward and makes me want to laugh because it is not suitable for the atmosphere of the film. All in all, the film is mediocre, in addition to the grand scene.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]