IMDb > Toy Story Toons: Small Fry (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Toy Story Toons: Small Fry More at IMDbPro »Small Fry (original title)

my dinner with Woody

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
13 December 2011

Shown right before "The Muppets", "Small Fry" has Buzz Lightyear accidentally switched with a different version of himself in a fast food restaurant, and attending a support group consisting of other lost toys, while the replacement version makes a spectacle of himself in front of the characters from the other "Toy Story" movies. It's not any kind of great cartoon, but pretty funny. A neat way to lead into the return of Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, etc. And of course I really recommend "The Muppets".

The casts from the rest of the "Toy Story" movies reprise their roles, with Jane Lynch providing the voice of one of the toys in the support group.

Although I found Hawaiian Vacation to be more fun,Small Fry is still an entertaining adventure for Woody and the gang,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
15 February 2012

Small Fry is a fun and enjoyable short that shows before The Muppets,although I found Hawaiian Vacation,the short that shows before Cars 2,to be a more enjoyable short,Small Fry is still a fun,enjoyable and well thought out adventure from the Toy Story gang and I hope these Toy Story shorts continue because the characters are so lovable.

Buzz is left behind at a fast food restaurant after being mistaken for a mini Buzz,the mini Buzz is taken home with Bonnie to the other toys,and Woody and the gang try to find out what where the real Buzz is,while the real Buzz is stuck with a group of abandoned toys,Buzz tells them he was left behind but they think he is abandoned and try to get him to admit to it.

Minute for minute the wittiest of all the 'TOY STORY' films!

Author: Hellmant from United States
7 December 2011

'TOY STORY TOONS: SMALL FRY': Four Stars (Out of Five)

The second 'TOY STORY' Pixar animated short film (after 'HAWAIIAN VACATION'), this one debuted before 'THE MUPPETS'. It was written and directed by Angus MacLane and stars the usual 'TOY STORY' voice talents (Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, John Ratzenberger, Wallace Shawn, etc.) plus newcomers Jane Lynch, Timothy Dalton and more. It runs about 7 minutes and tells the story of Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Tim Allen once again) being replaced by a mini kids' meal version of himself (voiced by Teddy Newton) at home while he's trapped at a fast food restaurant with other thrown away kids' meal toys who have their own support group. The premise is a great idea and the film is packed with clever laughs. Minute for minute I'd say this short film is the wittiest of all the 'TOY STORY' films, stretched in to a feature length movie it probably would have ran a little thin though. It's much better than the last 'TOY STORY' short and nearly perfect for it's 7 minute running time. As far as short films go this is definitely a rewarding and worthwhile movie going experience, especially if you're a fan of Pixar or 'TOY STORY'.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKd3ajZbngo

Fun....and that's what counts most.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
25 November 2011

A local fast food outlet has Buzz Lightyear toys with their kids meals. Through some strange circumstances, the real Buzz is left in the store and a smaller and somewhat annoying Buzz from a kids meal is taken home instead. What's to happen with the original and will they ever get him back...like the previous "Toy Story" films.

I have given this short film a very respectable score of 7. I might have been tempted to score it higher, but frankly would have preferred some original characters and am getting a bit burnt out on "Toy Story". I know this means I am running counter to the rest of the viewers out there who seem to have an insatiable love of these folks. While good, to me, familiarity will soon be bringing contempt. Now this does NOT mean I dislike the film--the concept was pretty fresh and the animation was shockingly good. This improved CGI is obvious when you see the adorable little girl in this film who was also in "Toy Story 3" (Bonnie)--she is so much more realistic looking here only about a year later. Shockingly realistic, actually.

Playtime is the best

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
12 July 2015

That is certainly true. Sadly, this 6-minute short film is more like beating a dead horse. I really love the Toy Story films, but I do mind that they made so many short films after the third feature film. This would actually have been fine if they were good, but all (or almost all) of these are completely mediocre. I'm actually glad that Buzz got back to his gang on his own, so they did not turn this premise into a feature film. This could have ended really bad then. Anyway, I thought T-Bone was fun and the little Buzzy copycat was a solid addition too, but that's it. The group therapy session was also really not entertaining. If they really make a 4th film, I just hope it will be as good as the third and not as forgettable as these short-films that came in-between. Angus MacLane's "Small Fry" from almost 5 years ago falls into that category. I did not like one of his 3 short films and that's a pretty bad omen given he is one of the main players behind the "Finding Nemo" sequel. But back to this one here: Not recommended.

Familiar plotting but still has funny moments

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
7 February 2014

Buzz and Rex get taken to a Poultry Palace, a fast-food joint where mini toys are given away with meals. A mini version of Buzz Lightyear spots the real Buzz and decides to swap places in order to finally get played with rather than be a display model or be abandoned in the ball pit like so many other fast-food freebies. The swap is done, leaving Buzz stuck with the toys left behind, while the gang back at home have to deal with this smaller, more annoying version of Buzz.

This short film from the Toy Story stable is yet again not quite up there with the strength of the film but yet it manages to be funny and engaging none the less. We have seen the basic plot before but the specifics of this time give some nice scenarios, specifically the support group. The interaction with Lizard Wizard made me laugh out loud and generally this was a nice idea. It concludes quickly and mini-Buzz doesn't seem to be much more than a plot device, but it does its job and gives a nice short burst of well animated fun with the well-known voices and characters in support.

Fans of Toy Story will like it enough to forgive its flaws, and luckily enough I guess the vast majority of those watching, will be fans of the films.

A little disappointing

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
17 February 2012

A Buzz Lightyear novelty toy escapes from the display at a fast food outlet and ends up being taken home by Bonnie while the real Buzz is left behind, trapped in a therapy group for "lremainder" fast food novelties. Manwhile, the novelty Buzz fails to convince the rest of the toys that he is the real Buzz.

I must confess that this Toy Story short didn't grab me especially. I think this may be because it was pitched too much at an adult audience. While the Toy Story films have always contained material which appeals to adults, that same material also appeals to children (the "Great Escape" in Toy Story 3), but in this one I suspect that there is precious little for kids, and the appeal inherent in having a dual audience is gone.

It is still enjoyable, but there doesn't seem to be as much magic.

The Pixar Toy Story short Small Fry gets some good laughs with some new characters being introduced

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
28 November 2011

This Pixar short preceded the main feature of The Muppets. Once again continuing the adventures of the Toy Story gang, this one has a smaller version of Buzz Lightyear from a Happy Meal-like menu replacing the real one when Bonnie takes her toys home with her. The mixup that results was as funny as one would expect when watching these shorts from those Pixar guys. Lots of new characters are introduced with the "patients" Buzz meets when he finds himself stuck at the restaurant so if another Toy Story feature does get made, maybe they will be in that one. I don't know if those Pixar people should actually do that but if anyone could pull that off, they could. So all I'll say now is Small Fry is pretty funny for its brief running time if you're so inclined to watch.