IMDb > Black Biscuit (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Black Biscuit More at IMDbPro »

Black Biscuit - new form of cinema

Author: eventsartists from United Kingdom
24 August 2011

Its a different type of film but is very rewarding. It's got a chaotic poetic feel. Federico used the Pink8 manifesto (read to understand about the manifesto)

If your a fan of experimental cinema like Harmony Korine, Vincent Gallo, and Gus Van Sant you'll love this movie.

The plot focuses on the character of Chet which is played by the director Fabrizio Federico, but the film features many unique characters. Chet is a bit of a bum, not applying himself to any satisfying life direction, and slowly loses more and more of his morals. But one day he realizes that he would like to become a film maker. This is where the film becomes interesting. Federico creates a bizarre film within a film experience, but his cast aren't actors and he is also a first time director, so you actually see the making of the film at the same time. It's very unique, and has been labeled 'Gutter Film Making' and 'No Budget Film' but is in fact an unexpected and boundary pushing film.

Battle Royale With Cheese (Blog) - Rebel Cinema

Author: ants-productions from United Kingdom
23 December 2012

Talking about Fabrizio Federico's film Black Biscuit is quite a difficult thing to do, largely due to the fact that, despite having just watched it, I can't be certain that I have the right idea as to what it was really about. Now, this might read like a cruel opening statement but bear with me. In the world of underground cinema, defining something as confused is as much commendation as it is criticism, and Black Biscuit, for all its puzzling obscurity, can at the very least be categorized as underground. Having been dubbed by BBC radio and Sight & Sound magazine as 'rebel cinema', Black Biscuit provides bizarre and brief insights into the lives of the odd, the ignored and the ordinary in ways that range from captivating to tedious. Using only children's cameras and mobile phones, we witness drug taking, prostitution, a highly aggressive Ping-Pong game, a grainy heavy metal club juxtaposed with a bleached monochromatic ballet dancer and a nude model telling jokes to his aged painters. And that's all within the first half of the two hour running time. Federico's creation seems to be homage to the crossroads faced by so many when the romantic intentions and harsh realities of ones life cease to mesh; a particularly interesting theme due to the fact that the film is at a crossroads itself, between the ingenious and the rambling; half nightmarish surrealism, half sinister veracity. Taking the theme of social junctions and emphasizing it by using, in his words, the 'punk angels' of society's underbelly, the effect is certainly fascinating and, at times, morbidly pretty. In between odd compilations of imagery with deliberately incorrect censoring and interesting musical overlaps, these moments of colorful disturbance are occasionally entertaining, often baring striking similarities to Gus Van Sant's My Own Private Idaho (1991). In general, the film is a total assault of the senses. Despite its highly stylised cinematography, which displays somewhat gritty and honest characters – or perhaps, to put it more aptly, subjects – in childlike, bleached and almost moving Polaroid ways, Black Biscuit is not a film for everyone. As the Pink8 Manifesto dictates, Federico was required, as director, to cast himself in a starring role as Chet, a young man seduced by the uncomfortable and quick-rich lifestyle of a prostitute. Despite being easily the most enthralling strand within the multi-narrative and schizophrenic film, his presence is as narcissistic as it is charming. Equally, the wholly raw and almost accidental nature of the film could be heralded as brilliantly unorthodox or disjointed and uninvolved. Whilst one viewer might think the scenes are too quickly cut with too little explanation, another may think Federico is presenting them with a series of emotive and bizarre images, honorably allowing his audience to interpret their meaning with no hints or coercion.

Having premiered at the Raindance Festival, the fact that the entire film is available to stream on YouTube solidifies this creation as one born of passion rather than exploitation, and irrespective of any individual's opinion of it, Federico has undeniably done the Pink8 Manifesto (the explanation of which can be found here) proud. If mistakes are beautiful and continuity is wrong (rules 15 and 16) then Black Biscuit is gloriously and glowingly right. If bewildering, vague, self-indulgent, plot-less, risky, egotistical, limpid, raw, ugly and imperfect are perfect (rule 17), then this is a film that is is close to perfection. Federico has adhered unwaveringly to a set of rules that have defined his creation from balls to bones, and there is something to be, at the very least, wholeheartedly respected in this, even if you are in disagreement with the manifesto's rules. So is my inability to understand it fully a good or bad thing? I'm not entirely sure myself. However what I do know is when watching it I was very much reminded of the once-underground indie cult classics like Gummo (Harmony Korine, 1997) or even Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977). And like either of those films, love or hate it, one must respect Black Biscuit's bewildering and unshakable difference to everything on the film circuit today and accept that perhaps the only certainty is that both the film and it's creator are cult classics in the making.

A Monkeys Tea Party

Author: wmcguin from United States
21 March 2012

I thought it was dreadful, it's got no story and I couldn't follow it. Im sure the so called 'film experts' will say that it's deep and has meaning but I just thought it was something I could have done, maybe that is the point of the film. On hindsight I did feel a connection with the characters because Im unemployed at the moment, so I guess Im just a loser who sits around all day watching movie's so the film touched a raw nerve with me. My life is a mess and the film reminds me of that. In that respect I can see it as being a social commentary. I wish I had seen this movie when I was younger but it could still do with a story.

Cinema Legend

Author: gino1-214-670967 from San Francisco
16 November 2011

It seems like I've seen something that doesn't fit into any categories. The film connected with me, maybe because I've been in the same situation as a lot of these characters. I guess Im a Black Biscuit. There's definitely a lot to take in, especially the views from notorious cult leaders, but under these circumstances they make sense. The strongest quality about the film is that it makes you want to create, and that is it's biggest virtue. Your not going to see Oscar performances, but what you do get is a ton of magical slice of life vignettes. The director is without a doubt slightly mad, but isn't that true of all great left field artists ? I see a cult being built around this film.

The cinema of the future

Author: monsoon-171-917737
27 September 2011

When ever I find it hard to put something into words I usually take it as a good sign. This film did that for me. It allows you to enter a world that is very colorful, both with characters, visuals, and ideas. I think the director has really put his stamp across the movie. Sometimes there's too many ideas coming from all directions, but you will be dented. Black Biscuit will be around for many years because thats how long it's going to take people to come to terms with it's range. Maverick film making has few champions lately but I think Fabrizio Federico will be among those directors that push cinema into new directions. Definitely a cult movie in the making, just hope it's appreciated sooner than later.