Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (2012) Poster

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days - Well Worth the Wait! Perfect Summer Fare!
rannynm2 August 2012
Looking to squeeze in some summer fun before heading back to school? Then head to your local movie theater and see "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days." Our KIDS FIRST! Film Critic, Julianna No one (age 12) reviews it below:

This film is the third film in this popular series and is based on the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, which are written by Jeff Kinney. These books are about the ups and downs of growing up and trying to deal with school, family and relationships. The stories are so well written and relatable, that you can't help but love the books and the movies. This film stars Zachary Gordon, who does a great job once again as the main character Greg Heffley, and Robert Capron, as his lovable friend Rowley Jefferson. This films starts out with Greg and Rowley finishing the school year and planning out their summer vacation. There's only one problem, as usual for Greg, nothing goes as planned. Follow along as Greg and Rowley try to make it through the dog days of summer.

My favorite character is Greg because he is funny and means well even when he makes mistakes and deep down, he just wants everyone to like him. It is hard choosing one scene as my favorite, because most of the scenes at the country club are absolutely hysterical, but I was able to choose one. That's when Greg's older brother Roderick, played brilliantly by Devon Bostick, tries to fake drowning to the pretty life guard will save him. The problem is, she doesn't even notice him, so an older, hairy man dives into the pool, pulls him out and performs mouth to mouth on him. Roderick's facial expression is priceless and this scene is just so funny, I could not stop laughing.

Not only is this movie well written and very funny, but it has a really strong cast that help bring to life the Heffley family and make this an enjoyable film that the entire family can relate too and enjoy. The movie also has a great message in it about growing up and learning from your mistakes.

Overall, I love this fabulous film and urge you to take your family and go see this film today. I rate this film 5 out of 5 stars, as I think this is a film your entire family will love as much as I do. Go see this film, opening in theaters on August 3rd, trust me, you will love it! And remember, a man who makes no mistakes, is a man who hasn't learned anything.

Reviewed by Julianna No one for KIDS FIRST!
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Greg's Finest Adventure
Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days stars Greg Heffley, a middle schooler who is just trying to have a fun summer, however his Summer plans are different than most others, playing video games all day. Things get complicated when his dad disagrees, a dog comes into the family, and all sorts of trouble breaks loose.

When I first saw Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, I was very impressed, the film was great and it seemed like nothing could beat the sequel, it was much better than the first film. But when I saw Dog Days in the theaters I was amazed, it might have even been better. Loads of times the audience in the theater was cracking up due to some hilarious jokes. The actors did a great job, it's obvious Zachary and Robert have grown skill when it comes to acting, as they are able to deliver their lines well. The dad was probably my favorite character, his hilarious reactions and timing is just hilarious.

The entire movie flowed well, no moments felt dry, and that can be a big problem with some movies today. There will be spaces that just feel empty and leave you to wait 5 minutes for something to happen. But the 2 Wimpy Kid sequels don't have that problem, they always leave something going on. Now, from what I understand some people have called this movie to be too "Childish". I really don't find that true, sure, the books are aimed a little more for kids, as well as the movies. But adults can find the movie just as enjoyable. Many adults in the theaters were laughing along with the kids.

Overall, Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, is a great, fun, enjoyable film for the family. I can't wait to see what the studio is going to do next!
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dog Days is a Really Fun and Entertaining Movie!
J. Yallen30 July 2012
We saw the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dog Days movie" and my husband and I absolutely loved it. The Wimpy Kid movies are John Hughes style movies but focus on Jr. High School instead of High School. Believe me, Jr. High School was much more difficult to survive than high school.

Jeff Kinney takes his story about a kid (Greg Heffley) trying to grow up and survive middle school, family dynamics, and relationships. This film, like the others, takes these experiences and makes them relatable and hilarious for anyone of any age.

Although it is apparent that the cast is growing up, (since this is the 3rd movie in the very popular series), I found that it really didn't matter because we relate to the issues and problems Greg is experiencing and not his physical presence. No one said anything about the Harry Potter kids getting older and the same holds for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I didn't find myself focused on the kids ages because you get lost in the laughs, and enjoyment of the film as the gags get bigger and funnier in this 3rd installment to the popular movie series. The kids are exactly at the place their supposed to be in real life - 14 years old. For us it added to the "realness" of the story and characters portrayed.

I hope they make more of these films and continue on into High School, as these stories and films are truly honest and bonified entertainment for the whole family. They don't talk or play down to kids, they don't moralize, they don't try to get you to "see the light" as other family films do. If you allow yourself to lay back in the theater seat and let go of yourself for 94 minutes, you will be transported back to a time we can all relate to in our lives.

Zachary Gordon is back, in excellent form, as the main character, Greg Heffley. This is a very complex character from Kinney's books and Zach Gordon deserves a lot of credit for continuing to carry these movies to new heights (no pun intended-see the ride on the Revolation which gets up to 3-4 "G's"). It has actually been a lot of fun for our family, following him as he matures in character and life. He is blossoming into a really fine actor with a big future ahead of him. One of the best things about this new movie is the relationship between his character and his father played wonderfully by Steve Zahn. We get to follow a very "real" father/son relationship in this film with all their ups and downs and emotional discourse. This is a dose of "reality" for anyone and is definitely a must see for any dad who has sons or daughters and participated in the Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Indian Guides, Indian Princess, or other father son/daughter activity. Brought back a lot of good memories for us.

In this combination of the 3rd and 4th book - DWK: The Last Straw, and DWK: Dog Days, the film makes for an enjoyable roller-coaster ride in a comical "Summer" setting. The continued trials and tribulations of the main character - Greg Heffley, are made even more hilarious and complicated when Greg 1)fakes a job at a country club to appease his father, 2) goes on vacation with his best friends family, the Jeffersons, 3)tries to further a relationship with a girl- Holly Hills, 4)has to put up with constant aggravation from his older brother Rodrick, and 5) experiences communication and relationship issues with his dad. With all these intertwined story lines, this movie will have you in "stitches". The scenes at the country club with his brother Roderick are just plain hilarious and embarrassing fun! Not much ever seems to go well for Greg, even when his best intentions are at stake, which of course, makes for fun movie entertainment. If you like honest, wholesome, non-animated, non-CG (3D) movies, then this ones a hit! For you critical people out there - this movie is not intended to be "Gone with the Wind", just good old fashioned film entertainment for the whole family, that will sweep you away from the problems of today for a moment in time. Sisters will relate, brothers will relate, and mom's and dad's will get "teary eyed" over the in's and out's of Greg's turbulent and very "real" relationship portrayed with his dad.

If you want to laugh out loud, if you want just great movie entertainment with a connected and wonderful cast, especially the lead character, Zach Gordon, then go see this, must see, movie! You won't be disappointed!
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wimpy Kid tackles summer in Dog Days
rgblakey3 August 2012
While The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books were a major hit, the movies never really seemed to hit all that big, but surprisingly have been doing just well enough under the radar to keep the series alive. The latest entry Dog Days brings back all the favorites, combining the third and fourth books in the series, but will it continue to deliver the fun of these characters or will their age slowly start becoming a factor finally close the book on the film series? Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days follows Greg as he hatches a plan to win the girl of his dreams during the summer, but as usual nothing is as simple as it seems for Greg Heffley. There aren't too many films like this that can entertain the adults just as much as the kids, but the Wimpy Kid series does just that. The stories are pretty simple and light on content, but carry just enough fun to keep everyone entertained. This latest entry works really well having numerous laugh out loud moments. While still not quite as entertaining as the first film in the series it does manage to step things up to entertain more than the last film Roderick Rules. All the original cast return and yes the kids are getting bigger, but thanks to the age they starting making these films, everyone is still believable in the grade they are mean to be in. There are a few characters here and there that just aren't all that well acted, but you somehow can let it go thanks to the fun you get with your leads. Sadly there just aren't enough of fan favorites Fregley and Chirag.

If you're looking for that fun film to take the family too without having to suffer through another cartoon or weird princess film, then this is a must see. While it helps to see the other films just to know the characters, you can pretty much watch this as a standalone film. Turn off your brain and have some family fun. No word if another film will becoming for this franchise, but there are still two other books to work from, so we can only hope.

13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days....a very funny and enjoyable movie!
J Montrose4 August 2012
We went to go see the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movie-Dog Days and were pleasantly surprised as to how funny and entertaining it was. This is a really good movie for anyone who likes to laugh. You can't help but love this film because it will touch you on so many levels.

A very relatable story about growing up and family dynamics...this film hit home in so many areas for my husband and I. The actor who played the main character (Greg) in the movie- Zach Gordon -was just wonderful, and so believable. He has a bright future in Hollywood. It was hard not to root for him. Steve Zahn(who played Greg's dad) was great also and so was Devon Bostik as Greg's older and tormenting brother. There hasn't been a good, solid, fun movie like this one in a long time.

This movie isn't just for kids. No matter how old you are you can't help but enjoy this movie. I really recommend that if you like good, fun film entertainment, without all the $200,000,000.00 dollar special effects,hands down,this is, definitely, the "go to movie"!
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's not as funny as its predecessors, but this series still delivers
raisleygordon10 August 2012
If you're a fan of the first 2 movies, you'll probably like this one, but somehow, the word "hilarity" doesn't much apply this time around. Maybe it's because Greg has gotten a little older, or maybe the scope of the movie is bigger, or maybe it's because Greg's family aren't seen much this time. Or maybe it's because nothing in Greg's life this time around seems to be truly at stake. Whatever the reason, the movie is slightly less funny. But the movie does have some interesting ideas, so I guess it's still worth the ticket price. Just don't keep your hopes up high, at least not in the laughs department.

*** out of ****
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
cute summer movie
MLDinTN8 July 2013
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is back with a third installment and this one was cute just like the others. I thought it was pretty funny. Greg is out of school for the summer. Of course he's after Holly Hollis and gets to go the country club with best buddy, Rowley, and learns that Holly is working there this summer. So, he wants to go every day and lies about a job. To keep the secret, he has to let Rodrick in. So lots of funny parts with them sneaking in, ordering way to much, thinking it's free. Other funny parts, Holly's sister's birthday party with Loaded Diaper, the I love you because with Rowley's family, the pot roast and the dog.

FINAL VERDICT: Worth checking out.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
DICK STEEL2 September 2012
This is one franchise that continues to tickle my funny bone, without trying too hard. The third in the film series, I hope that it continues to tap onto the series of books by Jeff Kinney - seven in total as of now - before the principal cast members get fully grown up and aren't kids any more. For those who have yet to experience this simple, yet effective kids comedy, perhaps it is time to jump right in, and experience just what the appeal is.

The story leaves school for a bit, and is set during summer vacation, where every kid has plans of their own which may, and most likely, differ from their parents' expectations on how best to spend time. For Greg (Zachary Gordon) the main protagonist, it means a summer that's filled with endless computer gaming, which dad Frank (Steve Zahn) completely disapproves of, preferring that he hit the big outdoors in wilderness camp, or to take up a job somewhere to build some sense of responsibility. Then there is his crush Holly (Peyton List), who spends her time coaching junior tennis at a country club, with the only way in is as a guest of his best friend Rowley Jefferson (Robert Capron), although Rowley's family, especially his dad (Alf Humphreys), isn't really too fond of the friend of their son. And to add to that, Greg's brother Rodrick (Devon Bostick) threatens to expose Greg's cover for visiting the country club unless he gets invited himself to enjoy the facilities and to gawk at Holly's sister Heather (Melissa Roxburgh), and a new canine addition to the family.

Dog Days is pretty loaded, but these little episodes all shine in their own right, and made the entire film work. Directed by David Bowyers, who was also at the helm of the previous film, Dog Days the film taps from scenes in both The Last Straw and Dog Days books and is set primarily during vacation, which means a little bit of a pity when we don't get to see the other zany supporting characters that much, especially Greg's other schoolmates who are off to do their own thing, sporadically appearing only if they happen to be attending the same event from wilderness camp, to a book reading club started by Greg's mom. The focus gets centered mostly on family, be it Greg's or Rowley's, and takes a closer look at the father-son relationship in Greg and Frank, with the spectre of boarding school looming on the horizon should Frank decide to let someone else play the responsible role of bringing up useful folks to society.

While some may opine that Dog Days doesn't offer too much as compared to the previous Wimpy Kid films, I thought that formed part of its strength in having the cast being already so comfortable and familiar in their role, there's really no need to have them doing something too spectacular for the sake of. I mean, it's like friends hanging out, where one can have a good time all due to the presence of the other, and that's sufficient. But there's danger at being just sufficient, because familiarity may breed complacency, although the source material should be rich enough, or perhaps like this one having two books fuel a single film, for another film outing. At least it's not artificially expanded with the filmmaker's own imagination to stuff another film for additional box office revenue.

With nary a swear word nor embarrassing scenes which you have to explain to your kids thereafter, Diary of the Wimpy Kid continues to be a family and kid friendly outing that grows on you. It's funny without the reliance of the more adult comedy route of having to continuously swear or rely on nudity or slapstick to draw out laughter. Bring a kid to the screening, and I'm pretty sure they'll be entertained and tickled pink.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Movie For The Whole Family To Enjoy,
FilmBuff19945 August 2012
Diary Of A Wimpy: Dog Days is a very funny movie with great,innocent humor for the whole family to enjoy.I find the characters and scenes in the movie very funny and in the cinema,people of all ages where laughing.I love the books,a lot more than the films,as usual,because movies based on books always leave a lot of stuff out,and thats no exception with the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid movies,especially this one,because its a mix of two,The Last Strraw and Dog Days,but it still is quit enjoyable and the scenes stay true to the scenes there based off from the book.

Greg Heffley is gearing towards a summer of doing nothing but playing video games,but his dad is not allowing this and wants him doing more activities.Greg pretends to his dad he got a job at a country club,but hes really just going there with his best friend Rowley and his brother Rodrick to have a good time,and to speak to Holly Hills,a girl he likes.Gregs summer plans aren't going exactly as planned.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dog Days Are Over!
Matra Mellark27 September 2012
I thought Dog Days was a pretty good film. I was very impressed with Zachary Gordon's acting and the rest of the cast. There are some different aspects and genre the film concentrates on. It's a very nice little film that is funny and makes you laughing out loud around every corner.

I thought Dog Days was missing something, something to make it shine. It felt unfinished or rushed. I don't know how to explain it. It just felt... unfinished? I quite wished to enjoy it a little bit more than I did, but it's still a good film for everyone. I still think the first two are a little bit better than this one, but it doesn't let down anyways.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointing, fine for 8 to 11 year-olds
Paul M15 August 2012
Executive summary: Only my eight year old son enjoyed it of the four of us, my six year old daughter found it only funny in places but with too much dialogue and not enough action, and my wife and I found it only mildly amusing.

This was a disappointing movie, once you've seen the trailer you don't need to see the movie.

The scenarios were built so slowly and the humour so obvious by the time it peaked the joke would be too late, or the moral over played, and a lot of the time I found I was only paying attention to see if I could second guess what would happen next.

The characters were pretty flat and shallow, even for a movie of this type, and the dialogue quite predictable.

The movie could have been packed into half the length without losing too much, and really could have been a straight-to-DVD release or even straight-to-TV movie.

Overall if I'd paid more than a few pounds or dollars in the bargain DVD bucket I'd feel I wasted my money, as it is paying GB£20 (about US$30) at the cinema for a family ticket left me feeling robbed.
7 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The kind of film you need to steer your child away from
Steve Pulaski4 August 2012
At the end of my review for Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, the predecessor to this film, I optimistically stated, "Rodrick Rules is a tiny bit more mature than it's predecessor, but in the long run it's just not at all funny." The makers of Dog Days clearly listened to the second part of that sentence and overlooked the first. This is yet another installment of a series that is still grounded, despite its impression that it has taken off three films ago.

I feel the need to reiterate this fact; I am a faithful fan to the book series Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I have been since it made its debut on the FunBrain website, where you had to scroll through a formal calendar and see what the main character Greg Heffley experienced day-by-day. Then came the novel, with its notebook-paper designed pages, the adolescent handwriting style, and the simplistic doodles at the bottom of each page vividly illustrating the above passage of text. They were keenly written treasures. The films are deplorable.

This one merges two of the series' novels, which were the third book, The Last Straw, and its follow-up, Dog Days, and that is perfectly fine with me. The less of these I have to sit through the better. Our film begins with Greg Heffley (again, reprised by Zachary Gordon) and his family attending a water-park just a day before the last day of school. Greg is held responsible for his youngest brother, Manny, who we see wash his hands with a urinal cake within the first few minutes of the film. We then see a crowded pool of people, some eating pizza and dropping it in the water, and when Manny later invites Greg to play with him in a smaller pool, he informs him that he is peeing in the water as they speak, as well as the other young children. You can see where this is directly headed.

The remainder of the film follows the simple plot of Greg, again, mooching of his best friend Rowley (Robert Capron) into being his guest at a country club. Because his father (Steve Zahn) wants him to lay off the video games, Greg impulsively lies to his parents and says he is currently working there. His older brother Rodrick (Devon Bostick) quickly sees through his lie, and Greg informs that the there are many perks to this country club, including his crush, Holly (Peyton List), who frequents the venue working as a tennis instructor for the young. Rodrick has a crush on Holly's sixteen year old sister (who looks about twenty or twenty-one, but don't they all), so as long as Greg agrees to sneak him in whenever he wants, he won't say anything.

One of the film's many subplots is that on the last day of school, Holly is eagerly signing everyone's yearbook and Greg wants her to sign her phone number in his. He politely asks her, she does so, but is distracted by a swarm of students fleeing school after the final bell and does not write down the final two digits of her number. This is a big problem in the beginning of the film, clearly brewing anger with our main character, but the dozens of attempts he will later get at the country club, he doesn't even ask or pretend to care when she states, "you got my number." Most illogical. And when he does, he is conveniently interrupted by someone else, mainly her older sister.

This film also furthers the use of gross out gags and idiocy to the point of maddening disgust. Scenes involving boogers (which are down there with the worst possible kind), involving a dog slobbering all over a pot roast and the family later consuming it, and a scene where Greg's swim trunks, in a series of implausible events, get stuck on the diving board as he helplessly stays like a wounded soldier in the pool, swimming away from any and everyone take the stage in what the film hopes will generate laughs.

Another thing Dog Days can't help but continue to do is further our already looming dislike for Greg and his overly snotty personality. The character in the novels was no model child, but he seemed far more sympathetic and likable than what the movies make him out to be; a stuck up, lying, insubordinate rat. Here's a character who disregards almost everything his parents say, lies to them nonetheless, hopelessly uses his best friend who is too dense to notice it, and continues to make the people around him feel inferior so he can one day, as we heard in the original film, "be the king of the world." But these characteristics will still not overshadow the corny, trite ending we will inevitably be provided with, with a message so deep and profound that you will begin to recall how many films it has already been told in. And don't get me started on the incredibly phoned-in, last minute idea of parent/child disconnect. This film is unworthy of touching on such a subject.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is labored and, much like its main character, unbearable to tolerate or enjoy, despite its short runtime. It is populated by jokes that do nothing but lower young kids' attention spans to dwindling proportions, so they can later grow up to feed on "the next big thing" and, instead of challenging themselves intellectually, continue to stay sheltered inside their comfort zone of familiarity. Much like its predecessors, the film does nothing but continue to lampoon a book franchise's well-deserved reputation into a black sea of shame. But unlike its predecessors, I can at least complement it for undermining the unnecessary and disturbing character of Fregly.

Starring: Zachary Gordon, Robert Capron, Devon Bostick, Rachel Harris, Steve Zahn, Peyton List, and Karan Brar. Directed by: David Bowers.
9 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thoroughly enjoyable
Neil Welch10 August 2012
Greg is the middle child of a normal middle class American family - just entering his teens, he has a bullying older brother, a younger brother barely out of toddlerhood, a mother stretched three ways and a Dad for whom he can do no right. He also has a chubby best friend Rowley, and longings for pretty Holly. Things often go wrong for him for a variety of reasons (some self-inflicted, some not), and the events of this film centre around summer vacation, where attendance at the local country club (where Greg is not a member but Rowley and Holly are) would improve his summer greatly.

I have not seen either of the two previous films, nor have I read the books on which they are based: I came to this film absolutely cold.

And I really enjoyed it. Some of the events are a tad improbable, and would easily be solved by saying something sensible at an opportune moment, but this minor caveat was not enough to spoil it. Zachary Gordon makes a very likable Greg, Steve Zahn is excellent as a conflicted and imperfect Dad, and Peyton List (Holly) is going to be stunning in a few years. There are a lot of warm chuckles in this film - the parents in the audience laughed knowingly quite often. I must now look out the two previous movies.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This series just 'Jumped The shark'
thekyles9917 November 2012
Watched this with the kids today and i don't know...i'm thinking the best one was the first book to movie adaptation that i liked better anyways. It was OK and my son who reads the books wasn't totally impressed either. Greg our main character is about to chuck the school books and get ready for his summer vacation...you know the hard life of everyday video gaming whilst older brother Roderick sleeps like a bear. That is until dad (Steve Zahn) has something to say about it. This leads Greg in desperation in what to do.. once again using Wimpy buddy Rowley so he gain access to Rowley's mother's pool and day spa club most of all to spend time with new love interest Holly Hills ( Peyton List) which ends him up in a whole heap of trouble especially when older brother aka chief antagonist Roderick ( Devon Bostick) gets wind of it and demands that he will tell his father of his secrets unless Greg also sneaks him in.

Not a bad film and probably a good family film for those that have enjoyed the others in this series however er the movies are running weakly on my son (A fan of the books) and myself so don't think we will be taking in anymore.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well, its what you expect me to say. Dog S***!
michaelhirakida22 August 2013
Finally! The last film. The last in a trilogy of Terror. Diary of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days takes The Last Straw and Dog Days and puts it together. I have read through the books mildly but I must say Im not a big fan of them. But you want me to get into the bad stuff like Steve Zahn's performance and the Offensive stuff right? OK. Lets get into it.

It starts off the same way as every other one. With cartoons becoming human. It was cool at first but then it lost its touch. The film is about Greg (AKA Zachary Gorden who has hit puberty) losing his video game privileges to his dumb overacting insane dad. His mom tells dad to GO AND FRIGGN BOND WITH HIM! So he does. Things do not go well. Greg lies about getting a job. Insane dad finds out. OH NO CONFLICT! They go camping. They bond more and learn some important lessons. In the end they eat pizza. The end.

Thats a sum up of the whole entire story. Why was this even made? The parents still have to suffer through the same thing although they tone down the bullying to a minimum.

The movie is severely unfunny. It has predictable gags and creepy scenes that don't fit in with a kids film.

I think some of this film including the others were shot here in BC. But I don't really care if Gorden and Capron go on the spinning thing of death where for the story they make up stuff about people dying on it.

This is another horrible movie that has no improvement over the last one. It is really awful.

15/100 D-
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One hot summer
Mr-Fusion31 August 2017
If the original Wimpy Kid excelled because of the misfortunes of its main character, then "Dog Days" satisfies by leaning ever harder into that. One of my quibbles with this movie series is that Greg Heffley is more of a jerk than just hapless, but the writers make up for it with the level of misadventures.

It's funnier than the original because his dad has ore involvement; which means more Steve Zahn, who really runs with it. The guy's a scream.

Terrible Movie!!!
Real Chasecraft17 July 2017
Probably the worst diary of a wimpy kid movie. Omg. This is just terrible. Rowley's hair?? ITS SO OBVIOUS IT'S A WIG. OMG. And Zach Gordon was like... 15??? He was entering 8th grade In real life. I hate this movie. How does this movie have good ratings? 6.4/10???? 1/2 STAR. Would Not recommend
Mu opinion of the movie
Ana R F.8 June 2016
There were some funny scenes in the movie. There were however I really didn't like,such as the one when Greg was filmed in the bathroom,I thought that was atrocious and showed no creativity at all nor humor.How can a scene of a kid in the bathroom be funny? The kid you can tell was extremely uncomfortable,totally unacceptable. Very Bad scene. If I would have been him I know I wouldn't have done the scene. I would have quit or told them to change the script if they want me to be in the film or simply not show up at all in that scene !! I also didn't like the scene where the boy lost his pants in the pool,he had to wear a girl's swim wear. That is not funny,humiliates the character and honestly makes him look like bad. When he was in the diving board he slipped and fell badly in the pool,a fall like that can injure you and hurts a lot unless you dive correctly. I know because I use to go regularly in the 80's to a public pool and was taught how to swim and dive to a pool.The character also lied many times,never listened to his parents and let his brother always push him around plus never made an effort to get good grades. His parents don't do anything about his failing grades,the bullying he gets. His dad says he wants to bond with him but never puts discipline on Greg and his brother. His mother doesn't put discipline either,even lets Roderick wear eyeliner to play music,mainly never supervises her kids and lets them do whatever they want. The only good thing about her is that she likes to go to church. The kids in the movie don't focus on been good and on Christian values nor on strength of character. Finally,Greg never was able to overcome his problems and the entire film show no sensitivity toward the bullying issue. I give it a D-, my husband didn't like it either and my sister wouldn't like it. Gordon needs to choose better projects that focus on family and moral values not just do any movie or TV show out there.
A Real Dog of a Film.
Python Hyena25 August 2015
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (2012): Dir: David Bowers / Cast: Zachary Gordon, Robert Capron, Devon Bostick, Steve Zahn, Rachael Harris: One can assume that the subtitle symbolizes the subdued summer through the perspective of the hero, but physically the dog that is so advertized on the film's poster, is involved in so little of the plot that one wonders whether it was necessary. The principal actors are all back. Zachary Gordon is our wimpy kid who looks forward to a summer of video games until his hopes are blocked with his father's push that he become involved in outdoor activities. He lies about a job at a country club when he learns that the girl he has a crush on is teaching tennis there. While the first film is enjoyable and contains much that children may relate to, this third outing is pointless and only heaps on a bunch of useless subplots about sixteenth birthdays, carnivals, and a lame wilderness group that only adds to the film's poor visual appeal. Gordon survives the material as the scheming kid who avoids responsibility and disappoints his father. Robert Capron plays his naive pudgy best friend who becomes Gordon's passageway to the country club. Devon Bostick steals much humor as older brother who is involved with a terrible band and blackmails Gordon for club access. Steve Zahn as their father makes an appearance but he seems merely reciting tired formulas done by previous actors playing frustrated fathers. Rachael Harris resumes position once again in the mother role. Like the subtitle, this family film is a real dog in more days than one. Score: 2 ½ / 10
david charles15 February 2013
First of all, I would like to sent a big hello to all of the shooting team from the << diary of a wimpy kid 3 >>. As I expected, I had a great pleasure watching the movie. I was very lucky, because it was not obvious that this movie will be showed in my area. It was only planned to be showed in some cinemas, and the chance for me, was that one of them was not for away from my home (KINEPOLIS)! In my eyes, Zachary GORDON is a wonderful movie star and he is playing his roles reaching perfection. I deeply regret that this movie was not more highlighted in France. I am also disappointed that there are still no Blu-ray Disc from these movies available in France, and the DVDs doesn't include making of. This film is a huge breath of fresh air, a burst of laughter, rich in emotion and love, in short, a real rainbow in this world. I would like to give thanks to the Director and to all the actors. After having seen the film, I am really longing for meeting you all in California. A last thank to you, and a happy birthday to Zachary GORDON for his 15 years ! Good luck to you for your next movies, and all my best regards. With affection
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More adventures of Wimpy Greg Heffley.
TxMike14 January 2013
The "Wimpy Kid" series of movies is neither good nor bad, but for the most part all are entertaining. Most of that is the mannerisms of Zachary Gordon who plays the Wimpy Kid, Greg Heffley. But a lot also has to do with the comedic talents of Steve Zahn who plays his dad Frank Heffley. His older brother, played by Devon Bostick as Rodrick Heffley, has toned it down a bit from the first movie, but is still mostly obnoxious. Mom is again played by steady, and underrated, Rachael Harris as Susan Heffley.

In this movie the school year is ending and Greg is looking forward to a very productive summer, to stay inside and play video games all day. But dad wants to get him outside, to be an active boy, playing sports, fishing, or camping. Greg and active sports have a tough time mixing.

But what Greg really wants to do is get more friendly with pretty Peyton List as Holly Hills . (She is 14 or 15 now, but looks about 12 during filming.) On the last day of school she signs his yearbook, and starts to write her phone number, but when another friend pulls her away all Greg has are the first few digits, the last two are missing.

After trying many of the 100 possible phone numbers (00 to 99 for the last two digits) and getting some strange answers, Greg finds out Holly spends time at the local country club and Greg finds a way to get in also, as a guest. He even tells dad he has a job there, so he won't have to go to work with dad in a non-paying internship.

The title reference is that the Heffley family get a dog, but it only plays peripherally into the story. Greg stays pretty much a wimpy kid, he does get to spend time with Holly even though she thinks they will only be good friends, and he avoids the tough private school he was in danger of attending. So overall he has a nice summer, in this nicely watchable and occasionally funny movie. And he grows up a bit more.
Long Summer Days
patrickwigington7 August 2012
The third installment in this family comedy about life in middle school is just as good as the others. This time, instead of tracing over the events of a lame school year, Dog Days shows us the main character's lackluster and awkward summer.

Greg is an average, middle class, self involved 12 year old, and decides that the perfect way to spend his summer is playing as many video games as possible, and also somehow to get the girl of his dreams to fall madly in love with his skills. However, things go haywire when his father decides to ban video games and TV all summer, trying to convince his 21st century kids to to be more physically active, like the republicans across the street. So, out of boredom, Greg ends up doing many dumb and ill thought out things that result in awkward and pretty hilarious situations.

The regular cast of characters take more of a reduced roll in this movie, which makes their appearances funnier and more welcome than in the previous movies. Even Greg's older brother, the lazy, conniving teenager who is the drummer for a crappy metal band, is not as prevalent as he used to be. But Devon Bostick does wonders with the Rodrick character, especially at the end during an ill fated performance. Zachary Gordon plays the main character, and he does a good job of essentially being every trouble making pre teen that is completely annoyed at his comfortable existence. Steve Zahn has an expanded role as the dopey, eccentric father who tries in vain to have his adolescent sons not act like adolescent sons.

The movie is of course geared to a younger audience, and there are some jokes that seem contrived and lazy. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid trilogy is certainly far from ambitious, but that's part of the appeal. The series, this film included, get a lot right about being a suburban middle class kid in the 21st century, and not to mention the fact that the movie is just funny, plain and simple.

3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bigger Tease Than Avatar
dick_james26 November 2012
I've had enough of this inter-species romance in family films. Before Avatar I thought the line would have been drawn at Turner and Hooch. You know what he was really doing with that dog, that's why he gave it beer. But anyway, this movie is worse than mashing my pud with a handful of sandpaper, not just because of the fact that there's a skinny dipping scene that has no nudity and teases you like Avatar but worse because even though you do wanna see the blue monkey lady's nipples you know they aren't real anyway then you end up spilling popcorn and Mike and Ike's into your bare lap then get kicked out of the theatre for indecent exposure and screaming, rather than now where it would be have edgy and raw to show everything, but also because the film is totally unrealistic. It says it's about a wimpy kid, and even though, true, the butthole kid is a total wimp, he succeeds in the end. I thought this was gonna be something real, where the dweeb gets pounded by jocks for 90 minutes, but nope, just another one of Hollywood's should-be abortions. It was also morally reprehensible for the director to make a film wherein it is implied the hero rapes his dog throughout the film off camera, as if that's a quality to be commended.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny and entertaining!
bethany-lewis31 August 2012
I went to see this film with my friend and our younger brothers, and they loved it. They are ten and laughed continuously through the film. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over twelve, as it isn't exactly a teenage drama, and it is more suited for a younger audience. However, children will love it! There is a jumpy scene in the movie, which personally scared me, but it isn't unsuitable for a younger audience, just a bit jumpy. Some of the events that took place throughout the movie were slightly unrealistic, but younger children don't seem to mind and just find the scene when he loses his swimming trunks funny. Overall, I found the movie entertaining throughout!
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this