IMDb > "The Client List" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Client List"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Client List" More at IMDbPro »

Not what I had hoped

Author: dcobbimdb
16 April 2012

So right off the bat, let me get this out there, yes I'm a guy and I know this is Lifetime "Television for woman." Okay now that that's out of the way, secondly I'm married and have two girls, hence I don't control the TV much before 10pm and my wife and daughters watch a fair amount of Lifetime and either I'm tuned in or out (actually it's somewhere in between if I'm to be at all involved), but I saw many previews for the Client list and that was enough to peak my interest. So the Client list, aired on Lifetime for reasons which I'm still trying to comprehend although yes I do realize the movie was put out by them and rightfully so as it's within their target demographics, but a series, really?

So down to it, my wife couldn't make it through the first episode and thought it was totally unrealistic, cheesy and overall gave masseuses a bad rep and felt it would make any wife creep out over their husband going to see a masseuse. So she's done, game over, congrats Lifetime as you've disgusted your target audience on the first episode. Now me on the other hand, I watched this for one reason only, JLH and if you need to look up that acronym perhaps you should stop reading now. She is beautiful and her being in lingerie and seductive scenes was enough to peak my interest, however very mixed results for me. On the one hand she is very beautiful and looks stunning in some of the attire she wears so it was a win there, however there is so much of the show that just seems so artificial, all these in shape guys come in, the towel guy in the 2nd episode, all sweaty from what changing towels? Yeah I've seen housekeeping, number one I've never seeing a male housekeeper and secondly 99% are not Caucasian. Taking a step back, okay I gotta remember this is "Lifetime" and they have to put something in there to reel in the woman so I guess this is it being how the plot is pretty unoriginal (hence the movie came and went and was complete in itself). But JLH's character is just not coming off right to me and it went downhill in episode 2. She gets drunk and pretty much puts out a sign for her brother in law to bone her, real nice. Wonder how long it will be before they do get together. So yeah I had little respect for her before being she's boning or hand jobbing or whatever to these clients (which they are careful not to really show or dive too much into) but now she's an easy target for the brother in law? Could we get any sicker???

Besides some bad acting, stupid supporting characters this show is just a mess and heading for the tube, and I don't mean the boob tube. I had hoped that somehow Lifetime would be able to pull this off and it looks like their method will be to turn her into a quasi therapist / hand job artist. But this therapy while tying into her life is just stupid and I certainly cannot buy into it. I give it 3 out of 10 stars, just for her being nice eye candy on the screen, but at this point I'm fading out. I know I'm only into the 2nd episode and I might give it another one or two but am on the way out. Even her pretty face and hot bod cannot keep me interested if I have to sit through detritus. Now had this show been on HBO or something where they could get raw if JLH would be so bold, then it could stand a chance, but without that just trying to stand alone on this honor-less story isn't going to win over the woman nor keep the interest of the guys, so I guess there you have it

Is this a satire or something?

Author: soger from Romania
9 May 2012

I couldn't get through the pilot because this show is a joke. Let me sum it up to you. First of all what do we learn about prostitution:

1) Apparently only good looking guys go to massage parlors with happy endings. Probably because they are the ones with self-confidence issues.

2) Guys who do go there respect and admire prostitutes and want to talk about their problems because what they really want is a psychologist.

Give me a break.

Second of all I have a problem with the main character. I can't feel any compassion for her, because her situation is that she is stupid. I tell you why:

1) Why would she buy a house from loaned money? Probably because everyone else does... Banks are nothing more then legit loan sharks. They don't break your leg, but they do take everything you have if you can't pay.

2) All right, so she has a mortgage and no money. Why would she drive a gas eating monster? She could have just bought a scooter like Larry Crowne did (you know, in the movie with the same name).

3) When things are really tough she becomes a prostitute. Well I guess that sums it up.

I like Jennifer Love Hewitt and she is beautiful but that's not enough for me to watch a show.

Has a lot of potential. . .

Author: zephyr-123 from United States
22 April 2012

I'm already developing a sort of love/hate relationship with this show. The love part is with Jennifer Love Hewitt, especially with the way she is so good at creating warm, likable and lovable characters. That's a big plus for me because I just finished watching the first (and probably the last) season of Ringer only to never attain that feeling of empathy or connection with the characters. Riley is very easy to like and feel a connection with. I also like and care about the other characters on the show, her coworkers and her mother (played by Cybill Sheperd). I also like the premise of the show which is about a single mother trying figure out how to provide on her own and going into prostitution as a means to do that which has to be a common issue for some single mothers.

The problems I'm having with the show have to do with the plot lines and characters needing more depth and complexity. There's simply not enough internal and external conflict happening with Riley over the choices she's making. She fairly easily segues into performing sexual favors after being hired as an LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist) without the pesky conscience. What I would expect to see is a woman who might start this in need of money to raise her kids but would have a mixture of good and bad in choosing it. She might go through periods of self-searching and guilt or disgust while sometimes actually enjoying it. She might develop issues of self-esteem while at the same time feeling a sense of power and confidence in her sexuality and in her life in general. But her experience so far is one-noted and difficult to believe. It just all comes off as so easy for her.

Another problem is the glorifying of the prostitution. It's made to look (exclusively) like a glamorous profession, easy to do, fabulous clothes and men who are all successful and good looking. Seriously, the "johns" so far are guys who could easily get it for free. They need to show more average, bald, old, fat, insecure or ugly men and Riley having to deal with performing sexually on guys who it wouldn't always be so personally gratifying for her to perform for. There are other issues that also need to be brought in (and maybe will be) such as the threat of STDs, the john who is abusive or dangerous, the angry wife. They did a little thing of a wife painting "WHORE" on Riley's car but it was turned into a big nothing. I would like to see a situation where some wife or girlfriend writes "WHORE" on Riley's car and comes after her but Riley has no defense or justification or is not vindicated in some way but has to deal with the real repercussions of being a hooker and damaging marriages and relationships. They're whitewashing what Riley is doing for a living and they made it look like the wife was the one to blame for the husband going to a "brothel".

Finally, there's this unexpected issue with the show. LMTs are up-in-arms about this show because they feel that it is depicting their profession in a negative light. They feel it enforces the misconceptions and stereotypes that it's common that LMTs perform sexually for clients as part of their job. A perception that they've combated for many years. They are afraid that they will lose the respect they have fought for and that it will cause an increase in clients coming in expecting, or possibly demanding, sexual favors in a hostile manner. They are concerned that LMTs who work alone may actually have their safety compromised by a client who won't take no for an answer. At the very least, the show will dredge up a loss of respect, snickers and jokes about the profession that LMTs have been able to assuage through decades of public education. I think they're right. The reason is because this show isn't depicting this scenario as a tacky "massage parlor" that is an obvious front to prostitution (something that I think the original movie came closer to) but as a legitimate massage therapy facility where the LMTs are performing sexually for clients. When real LMTs have posted their concerns on the CL Facebook page and on various message boards, they are met with disdain and ridicule by (already) fans of the show and treated like a nuisance that is raining on everybody's parade but they do have legitimate concerns that should be acknowledged. I don't think the show should be canceled or pulled like some LMTs suggest but they could have depicted the premise in a different manner (like the movie) or possibly attach a disclaimer about this issue during airing of episodes (as another LMT suggested). People pretty much know the difference between reality and fantasy, that real LMTs aren't hookers, right? But the reality is that there are plenty of people who watch TV and think that they are being well "educated" about something and will act on it.

This show has a lot of potential to go into areas about the premise with intelligence, sensitivity and depth. I hope it does so.

Fire the writers of this tripe.

Author: annefrancesw from Australia
11 April 2012

I love Jennifer Love Hewitt. I think she's great. How has she sunk so low???

This show has the bones of what could be a good idea. It could've been a fun show, but instead they've given us this drivel.

I think aside from the truly terrible, terrible writing; one of the biggest problems that I have with this show is how unbelievably unbelievable it is. I mean, every guy she sees is chiseled and attractive? Except for the one married guy who isn't getting any at home. Aw, boohoo. Sure, I'm willing to believe one, maybe two chiseled hot guys. But pray tell, where are the old wrinkly guys? Where are the heavy bordering on obese guys?

Avoid. Unless you want a laugh. Or feel like yelling at the telly.

Great cast but completely out of touch with reality!

Author: badttboy from United States
3 October 2012

I gave this show 2 stars for the cast and lifetime's attempt to objectify men. It's just totally unrealistic in every aspect & not even funny enough to be a comedy. Perhaps it's time for a new genre like Unrealistic/Fictional/Drama. Imagine a massage parlor where very hot guys go for happy endings from not so prime looking masseuses and the undesirable looking people go for just a therapeutic massage. Sadly all the other plots and character personalities are inconceivable. I guess it's a lack of creativity with emphasis just being placed on what they think women want to watch. Surely they could have put some thought and discussion into the production. Then it might have been a great show. Such a great disappointment and abuse of talent! But if you really need to see Colin Egglesfield, even if it's just a little, then why not watch.

Go England!!!!!!!!!!

Author: jamesstewart2048 from Paris FRANCE
26 March 2014

The idea was good but the show is totally artificial (for example all her clients are 25 years old body-builders/models), and not even the always great Loretta Devine can save the show.

So i'm expecting the English remake with real down to earth characters and situations like in "Secret Diary of a Call Girl".

And i still put a generous 3 for brainless teenagers how will be able to have fantasies about Jennifer Love Hewit in lingerie playing a hooker next door. But for people over thirteen it's just ridiculous.

And there is not much more to say about it but i can't be published under ten lines so don't read me no more, i said it all but i'm still filling the lines to get over with it. This ten lines rules is a problem when a show is so bad that there is nothing to say about it.

Tons of fun

Author: phd_travel from United States
8 August 2012

Yes it is a bit exploitative with the one of the sexiest women on TV Jennifer Love Hewitt in various stages of undress and in provocative outfits in every episode. Yes it is a "Hooker with a heart of Gold" story with JLH dispensing her Ghost Whisperer help and advice to her clients. Yes her clients are all unrealistically attractive guys - why would these type of guys have to pay for it! But whatever the detractors say, it is an enjoyable show and the guilty pleasure of this season. There is enough excitement in the story to keep it going. Every week waiting to see whether they are busted and hoping they get away. The on going forbidden love of JLH by her brother in law. All this led by the one and only Jennifer Love Hewitt with the face of an angel and body of a goddess. It's an adorable show and very entertaining.

Could be called Sex Whisperer

Author: SSMich from United States
25 April 2012

I really miss Ghost Whisperer and was happy to see Jennifer Love Hewitt in another series. This show to me has a very similar vibe to Ghost Whisperer, but instead of ghosts being gently coaxed to go into the light, gorgeous men are coaxed to find a life outside paid sex, whether that be in the form of working on their marriage or ending their workaholic ways. Guess that's a little like going into the light.

It is indeed a very silly show. But then so was Ghost Whisperer. I'm not complaining, except for the prostitution aspect of it. The Client List is very entertaining. Jennifer Love Hewitt has something that comes across that screen and makes me care about what is going to happen to her character. I cringe to think of the day when Riley is outed to her family and friends.

It's wonderful to see Cybill Shepherd in another TV series, and she is living up to her well-deserved reputation as a great actor, comedy or drama. She's the perfect Mom to Hewitt. I still miss Moonlighting, one of the best shows ever made, and also very silly. And I love, love, love Loretta Devine as Georgia, manager of the massage parlor. Without her, the massage parlor wouldn't have the comedy that it needs, and even with her amazing talent, there is still not enough comedy in that workplace.

On the downside, I think the show would stand just fine on its own without using prostitution to show the plight of a woman struggling to raise children on her own.

If the prostitution in this show is intended to be comedy, then more needs to be done to let the audience in on the joke. The way it is now, there is just enough serious in the plot that it begs the point to made about what prostitution really is: a sad, heartbreaking thing that has more victims and tears than beautiful women, gorgeous men, and laughter.

Regardless, I still enjoy this show a lot, and I will keep watching it.

Real Bad

Author: guil fisher (guilfisher@gmail.com) from United States
7 July 2016

I gotta say this. Jennifer Love Hewitt is terrible in this. I have heard her name before but never saw her in anything. Somewhat playing a prostitute in this - I think. Walking around showing her tits and cleavage throughout the movie. Is this her trademark? I don't know. But someone should do something about her makeup. It makes her eyes look like a raccoon. All this black circling her eyes. Fake heavy false eyelashes. Too much, honey. The delight is seeing Cybill Shepherd. She plays grandma and is funny and a welcome relief in this loser. The plot is silly and most performances as expected in a LMN feature film. Teddy Sears isn't that bad. Wish he had more support from his leading lady. But maybe you can blame the writer for most of this. And please, somebody tell Hewitt she wears too much make up. Over the top makeup. Under all that war paint I think she must be a lovely girl.

Really bad

Author: botteon67
10 May 2012

I gave it a 2 only because I like some of the actors. I like JLH however this show is dumb. It's as if it was a show wrapped around someone that just can't seem to get enough of herself. "oh look at me, I'm so adorable". I wonder if she produced it. I think this because she is the only "hot" woman on the show. You would think that in a "happy ending" massage parlor all of the women would be hot. But no, you have a large woman running it, an older lady, a very average young girl, another woman that is a total bitch and nothing to look at, and JLH's best friend is a heavier girl. I tried to like it because I like her, but it's a total waste of an hour. Come on Jennifer, you can do better.