IMDb > The Smurfs 2 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Part 2 twice as bad as the first - if that's conceivable

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
31 August 2013

When we last left our intrepid tiny blue friends, they had just . . . oh, why bother explaining the plot of this film's predecessor, "The Smurfs," when it's going to be difficult enough to write about this sequel's ridiculous storyline? And, unless one is either under the age of four or in a drug-induced coma, they are not likely to care an iota about it anyway.

With Neil Patrick Harris ("A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas," "How I Met Your Mother" TV series) sleepwalking through his repeat role of Patrick Winslow and Hank Azaria ("Lovelace") as the evil wizard Gargamel - playing it so far over the top he falls off the other side - adults are most likely to simply tag along with their tots only to forget this one by the time they get home.

Like most sequels, "The Smurfs 2" does not live up to the original, which in turn was never something worth living up to in the first place. It does live longer, though, dragging on for nearly 105 minutes (two minutes longer than the first go 'round and a death knell to an animated feature like this one).

Here, as directed by Raja Gosnell (who has helmed such classics as "Home Alone 3," and "Beverly Hills Chihuahua"), the Smurfs are happy and healthy back in their quaint village.

Happy, except for the group's only female, Smurfette (voice of singer Katy Perry), who's depressed because she thinks everyone forgot her birthday (get used to it, kid).

Meanwhile, Gargamel — who is now a big-time David Blaine-type illusionist in the world of humans — is hatching a plot wherein he uses his two gray Smurf-like minions, the tomboyish Vexy (voice of Christina Ricci, "Black Snake Moan") and the idiotic Hackus (voice of J.B. Smoove, "Hall Pass"), to kidnap Smurfette so he can extract her essence, or something like that.

Unfortunately, once she is missing, Papa Smurf (voice of the late Jonathan Winters, "The Smurfs," but I'd rather remember him from "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," among other better films) along with Grouchy (voice of George Lopez, "Rio," and the guy who played a light bulb in "Shark Boy and Lavagirl"), Clumsy (voice of Anton Yelchin, "Star Trek Into Darkness") and Vanity (voice of John Oliver, "The Love Guru"), locate Patrick and his family to help solve the mystery.

Turns out that Pat is an uptight parent entertaining equally snobbish couples at his son's excruciatingly unfunny birthday party sequence concerning - of all things hilarious - a small child with a peanut allergy.

Discovering that Gargamel has a show in Paris, the group — with nondescript tyke Blue (Jacob Tremblay) and gruff stepdad Victor (Brendan Gleeson, "The Raven") in tow — whisks off to the City of Lights with nary a jump cut. While there, Smurfette, who was evidently created by the bad wizard becomes fast friends with Vexy and even offers to share the secret formula that Papa used to turn her blue — a concoction that will allow Gargamel to somehow rule the world.

Meanwhile, the three incompetent Smurfs try to save the day, while an embarrassed Gleeson (much too good to be involved in an endeavor like this) spends most of the picture flapping around as a poorly-CGIed duck.

It's all about potions and magic and essences and fatherly love, all of which are needed to keep the average person awake during all of this nonsense. So-so effects, little or no pacing, a drag in the middle and totally unnecessary 3D technology highlight the pointlessness of it all.

Be aware that there is also a definite mean streak which runs through the movie (Gargamel is willing to let his creations die and laughingly tortures the captive Smurfs), as well as a complete lack of humor (or anything close to that emotion), despite the fact that Azaria (who voices about a dozen characters on "The Simpsons" TV show) does his best with what little he is given.

So, like "Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties," "Marmaduke," "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and "Yogi Bear" — films which tried to incorporate CGI with live action — "The Smurfs 2" comes up woefully short, leaving "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" as the still clear-cut winner of the genre - and that particular production is more than 25 years old.

So why not just buy, rent or record that picture, save a trip to the cinema and call it a weekend. You would certainly be doing yourself - or your children - no favors by seeing "The Smurfs 2."

If you didn't like the first film, why watch the second?

Author: kevingrain from United Kingdom
26 January 2014

I'm really puzzled by these reviews. Firstly, we have people saying they hated the first film but this is even worse. Excuse me, but what kind of stupid do you have to be to watch a sequel to a film you hated? Then there's people who complain that the film is for children? But hey, what did you expect? Well, I expected the worst, I never liked the Smurfs and I'm old enough to remember that awful song from the 70s. I've seen the McDonalds toys and I was prepared to hate this. But every Sunday we take our children to see a movie for a pound and this is what was on. I've seen Despicable Me 2, Turbo, Monsters University, Cloudy with Meatballs 2 and the Rise of the Guardians over the last few weeks on the same terms. I enjoyed those in varying degrees, but I wanted to give this one a miss. But it's for the kids, not me, so I went along. And I guess what, I actually enjoyed it.

There's no point me regurgitating the plot, but highlights for me were Christina Ricci giving a bit of Wednesday to Vexy, the naughty sister Smurf, the one-dimensional pantomime baddie (he's behind you!) and the cat, which amused me if no-one else. The plot is not believable, according to some. Yeah, and you sat though Despicable Me 2 and Cloudy with Meatballs 2? The plot is consistent with the rules set for the movie, just go with it. And if your children like it, what's not to like for you?

It has small improvements but still not for adults...

Author: RevRonster from United States
25 November 2013

There's no point in pulling punches here because, let's face it, these movies are meant as a distraction for kids. The jokes are bad, the acting is cheesy and the story isn't complicated. The whole point of the first film was to be something that will dazzle children with jokes only kids can laugh at and some brightly colored characters dancing across the screen. The formula for this sequel doesn't change that.

The only real difference I saw in this one was that it looked like the writers were trying to add a little more heart to the story by throwing in heavy elements of belonging and family. Smurfette feels isolated because of her lineage and doesn't feel like she belongs with the Smurfs while Patrick's stepfather comes into play and feels he's being pushed away from his stepson as he desperately tries to be a positive and loving influence in his life. I honestly enjoyed this part of the film but hated that it was surrounded with really bad jokes filled with "blue" gags and using the word "smurf" so much that the joke lost all its meaning in the first five minutes and acting that is gorged on scenery to the point of indigestion.

Once again, this movie is intended to bring smiles to little kids who still think boogers are the height of cuisine but, at least, the film felt like it was trying to make some improvements and strides to make this a better family film than the last one...also, the special effects are still decent, so it has that going for it.

Hi! My name is Rev. Ron and I love movies! So much so that I write a blog where I review whatever movie I am watching at the time. You can read a more in-depth review of this film (and others) at revronmovies.blogspot.com

The first 'SMURFS' movie was bad and this one is even worse.

Author: Hellmant from United States
27 November 2013

'THE SMURFS 2': One and a Half Stars (Out of Five) Sequel to the 2011 hit kids' film based on the popular comic-book (which was later turned into a popular cartoon series in the 1980s) by Peyo (a Belgian comic-book artist) about little blue people that live in mushrooms. It once again stars Hank Azaria as the evil wizard Gargamel and Neil Patrick Harris as the Smurfs' human friend Patrick. It also features voices by Katy Perry, Jonathan Winters (who the film was dedicated to, due to his recent passing) and many others as Smurfs. The film was once again directed by Raja Gosnell and written by the same team of writers (with Karey Kirkpatrick joining the team). I'd say it's even worse than the first film in quality, especially since one of my favorite actresses (Sofia Vergara) didn't return this time around. This film revolves around Gargamel (Azaria) kidnapping Smurfette (voiced by Perry), the only female Smurf (which he created), and taking her back to Paris with him. He needs Papa Smurf's formula for creating Smurfs (which Smurfette knows) so he can extract the Smurf-essence from them (which gives him his magical powers). The film introduces two bad Smurf-like critters that Gargamel also created. They're called Naughties named Vexy (voiced by Christina Ricci) and Hackus (voice by J. B. Smoove). The film also gives us a lot of Smurfette's back story and introduces us to Patrick's stepfather Victor (Brendan Gleeson) as well. The first 'SMURFS' movie was bad and this one is even worse. The only thing I did like about the original movie was it co-starred Sofia Vergara (like I said) as a domineering antagonist (Patrick's boss). She was great and extremely sexy in it (like always) but the rest of the movie was a waste. Both films are pointless and about as dumbed down as kids' movies get. I did like the cartoon and comic books when I was a kid but I don't know if a quality live action film could really be developed from them. So I guess I can't complain too much. Still this movie, like the first, is a waste of time. Kids might like it though.

An enjoyable film but, it is mainly meant for children.

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
3 August 2013

The Smurfs 2 continues with the adventures of the adorable blue creatures called, Smurfs. When Smurfette(Katy Perry) assumes that the rest of the Smurfs have forgotten her birthday, she's very depressed & wanders off alone. She thinks that she's not a true blue Smurf as she was originally a Naughty created by the evil wizard, Gargamel(Hank Azaria). Meanwhile Gargamel hatches an evil plot to kidnap Smurfette & get her to tell the formula to turn two of his Naughties, Vexy(Christina Ricci) & Hackus(J.B Smoove) into real Smurfs. Vexy enters the portal to Smurf village, kidnaps Smurfette & takes her back to Earth. Now,it is up to Papa(Jonathan Winters), Grouchy(George Lopez), Clumsy(Anton Yelchin) & Vanity(John Oliver) to rescue Smurfette from Gargamel before he coerces her to give him the formula. The Smurfs seek the help of their friends, Patrick(Neil Patrick Harris) his wife, Grace(Jayma Mays) & Patrick's step-dad Victor(Brendan Gleeson).

The Smurfs 2 was lots of fun! I can't believe it has such a low rating on IMDb. It's not supposed to be the best film ever. It's just a cute movie about love, friendship, the importance of family & how they will always be by your side. Looking at the morals the film teaches you, it's a perfect weekend outing with your family & a perfect popcorn movie for everyone who wants to watch it alone. The fusion between live-action & animation is enchanting. The 3D is flawless. The entire movie is filled with eye popping 3D effects. The best scene in the film for me is when, Smurfette & the Naughties are flying around Paris. Mind blowing visual effects & animation. Hank Azaria is the standout performer as the bumbling wizard, Gargamel. Neil Patrick Harris is great as Patrick. Jayma Mays is impressive as Grace. Brendan Gleeson is hilarious as Victor. Katy Perry, Christina Ricci, Jonathan Winters, Anton Yelchin, George Lopez, John Oliver & J.B Smoove are perfect as Smurfette, Vexy, Papa, Clumsy, Grouchy, Vanity & Hackus respectively. The gags are a little childish but, it is a comedy for kids, not adults. All in all, The Smurfs 2 is loads of fun & is worth a watch.

Great kids film

Author: sjwicks from Upminster
5 August 2013

Having already seen Despicable me 2 And Monsters University, these summer hols, I took my two kids to see Smurfs 2. I have to say, despite any toffee nosed film critics who have panned this film, we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was equally good, if not better than the two previously mentioned films. The animation, especially the interaction between real life and CGI was impressive. It was funny, fast-moving, and at times emotional. Gargamel's performance was wonderful. Some of the visual effects, such as the "Roue de Paris" coming of it's axle and rolling through the streets of Paris were amazing. Ignore the film critics, go there with your kids, and try and watch it through the eyes of a child and enjoy. Great in 3D. We thought it was better than the previous Smurfs movie.

"Smurfing" around

Author: kosmasp
13 September 2013

So the first Smurfs movie was better. But this one has more than it's fair share of moments too. Is it predictable? Yes! But does it have a coherent theme running through it concerning parent hood and moral message that might be a bit hammered into our heads? Yes, though it's still acceptable and doesn't overdo it.

The movie is aimed at kids and while Pixar has shown us you can do that without forgetting about the parents/adults, this doesn't mean every animated movie has to be like that. There can and should be movies like Smurfs too. The success was there, but the rating suggest that many people might have watched under duress or being forced to. It's unfortunate if you couldn't enjoy some nice little family entertainment. I'm a cynic too, but I could relax with this. It's really not that bad

Boring for adult

Author: coco69-774-831730 from Cork, Ireland
1 September 2013

While I have seen a fair number of kids movies over my time (having three children), I, like one of the other reviewers, found the movie boring and did not enjoy. However, my 8 year old really enjoyed it and said we have to buy that movie. I had not seen the prequel to this movie, but it would probably not have improved my review. I did not think the actors were great. Having seen Brendan Gleeson in different roles, it was unusual to see him playing this character and he seemed way out of place. The movie had some touching scenes that step-parents and step children will appreciate. I thought some of the effects were over the top but I guess the movie is aimed mostly to entertain children.

The Smurfs 2

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
7 December 2013

The success of the first live animation Smurfs film obviously meant a sequel in the works to cash in. This was playing over and over and my kids grooved on its repeated viewings. Sufficed to say, I was actually off today and tuned in and out to it over the four or so times it was on.

Smurfette was once a creation of Gargamel's (Hank Azaria, having such a good time), and thanks to Papa Smurf (and his convenient magic), she was rescued from a life of pure evil. Turned blue and provided a new lease on life, Smurfette insulated herself within the Smurf society. Of course, the two films felt the need to transplant the Smurfs into the alternate world of us humans, and so they met Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mayes in The Big City. At first, the Smurfs caused much aggravation, annoyance, and trouble, but soon were welcomed and loved by their human friends. In the sequel, Harris and Mayes, married and celebrating a birthday with their son, named Blue (after their Smurf friends), join forces with Papa Smurf and his "B-Team" (his typical team of Brainy and Hefty got left behind when a choking incident caused created "travel crystals" to fall into the mouths of others) to rescue Gargamel-captured Smurfette.

Equipped with a specially made sword by Gargamel in an attempt to seize her affections, and often told of how she is his daughter, Smurfette finds herself under much pressure to determine where she belongs…with him or the Smurfs. Who is her true family? Gargamel, of course, desires the magic spell used by Papa to turn her blue in a grand diabolical plan to…wait for it…take over the planet and have us grovel to him.

With the likes of the late Jonathan Winters (that marvelous voice and face produced a lot of laughs, but I remember him best in the Twilight Zone episode, opposite Jack Klugman, in A Game of Pool), Katy Perry, Christina Ricci, George Lopez, Anton Yelchin, Fred Armisen and Jeff Foxworthy as the voices of the Smurfs, and use of our world (most of the setting is Paris) as a backdrop for them (the Smurf village is also given some significant screen time as the Smurfs are planning Smurfette's birthday party), there's prime entertainment value for…mostly kids, and a few adults. Watching it, I can't really say this was aimed for too much of an adult audience, but is a perfectly fine family film. It even provides Brendan Gleeson a rare comedic role as Harris' stepdad; Gleeson has one of those fun-loving, energetic characters that Harris is embarrassed by because of his jovial behavior and scenery chewing. Eventually Gleeson is involved in the Smurfette rescue, turned into a duck (!) at one point by Gargamel. Gargamel's shtick involves popular magic shows in theatrical settings to much fanfare, but he has that evil itch to cause very bad things. Gargamel creates two new "anti-Smurfs" (Ricci and JB Smooth) to help him "indoctrinate" Smurfette, and achieve his masterplan. But those Smurfs soon kindle a friendship with Smurfette which throws a monkey wrench in Gargamel's plans. As much as computer-generated Smurfs might have me longing to watch the old cartoon (not *that* much but close), this is the way it is so I'm not about to go on a belly-aching old fart rant about taking beloved characters that were popular when I was a kid and cosmetically re-envisioning them for today's audience. It is what it is. Azaria, fully immersed in his evil wizard role with rat-like teeth, doesn't have a subtle bone in his portrayal.

Even if you enjoy the Smurfs, this sequel might leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Author: Bryan Kluger from Dallas, TX
23 August 2015

How can you not like Smurfs, whose sole reason for existence is to live a peaceful life full of fun, dancing, singing and love? Not to mention that they live in cool mushroom houses in the forest and all wear the same outfit. If you've wondered what those little blue creatures have been doing since the first film, you can rest easy, as life in the Smurf village has been Smurftastic. I'm sure the only reason we have a sequel is because the first movie made almost $560 million. With this outing, you can expect the same visual pleasantries, but beyond a couple of lines of dialogue that garner a chuckle, I don't see unimaginatively-titled 'The Smurfs 2′ playing to anyone over the age of five.

As I said, life is going very well in the Smurf village as everyone prepares a giant surprise celebration for Smurfette's birthday. However, Smurfette herself (Katy Perry) thinks that the other Smurfs have forgotten her special day. As she questions her own creation, she begins to think that she doesn't belong with the Smurfs, but rather with her creator, the evil and dim-witted Gargamel (Hank Azaria).

Meanwhile, Gargamel now lives in Paris with his cat Azrael, and is a beloved magician in the city, playing to sold-out crowds every night. Little does anyone know that he has a sinister plan to kidnap all the Smurfs to steal their essence, which will make him more powerful so that he can rule the world. To do this, Gargamel creates two other Smurf-like creatures called Naughties. One is Vexy (Christina Ricci), a mix between a goth girl and a hipster, and the other is Hackus (J.B. Smoove), a red- haired Irish Smurf who could double as a beach bum. The two Naughties travel to Smurf village, capture Smurfette and bring her to the real world. Soon afterwards, Papa Smurf (Jonathan Winters) follows after them with Grouchy (George Lopez), Clumsy (Anton Yelchin) and Vanity (John Oliver) to save Smurfette. As you'd imagine, this team of Smurfs ends up enlisting the help of their Earth friends Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and Grace (Jayma Mays) once again. But this time around, Patrick's stepdad Victor (Brendan Gleeson) is there to help as well.

One of the only decent things to come out of this sequel is Gleeson, who seems to give it his all in a comedic role, whereas the other actors seem bored to be there and are underused, with the exception of Azaria's kooky sorcerer. It's a shame, as Neil Patrick Harris is a multi-talented guy who can sing, dance and has great comedic timing, but here, he seems to be a robot. Oliver's voice for Vanity gets the most laughs, even if his jokes are told over and over again throughout the movie, which is a common problem amongst all the characters this time around. Ricci and Perry do solid jobs, but J.B. Smoove playing an Irish Smurf killed me. This was Jonathan Winters' last film, and he adds a warm and nostalgic feeling with his charming voice for Papa Smurf.

The look of the film is very pleasing with bright colors and tons of things happening on every part of the screen. The camera flies through building structures, makes a slapstick candy store scene fun, and swoops around a giant runaway Ferris wheel in Paris. That being said, the visuals are almost undone by the horrible music selections, which might only excite an 11-year-old girl. The 3D is quite terrible too. The backgrounds in the movie that were supposed to add depth don't, and instead come across very blurry and flat, as well as produce a double image.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]