IMDb > The Front Line (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Go-ji-jeon

The Front Line More at IMDbPro »Go-ji-jeon (original title)

Speechless

Author: Kenneth H from United States
29 July 2012

I can't even come up with how to define this movie, and I've watched a lot of war films, but I think this one just has to be the best I've seen that is as serious as it comes to the consequences of war. Besides just the horrific scenes as in any war movie, it has touched and got through to the emotions multiple times in what seems like a never ending battle. The acting is beyond incredible, especially the brothers, and doesn't show that their enemies are the most evil in the planet but that war itself and who leads them are what makes this conflict. They gone as far as showing scenes that you never or rarely expect to see, and it's remarkable because you'll remember this film for it. A great movie.

One of, if not the best war movie I have ever seen. Emotionally powerful & great battle scenes. A must see for sure. I say A.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
28 March 2012

"He said our enemy wasn't commies, but the war itself." Toward the end of Korean War Lieutenant Kang Eun-Pyo is sent to investigate a murder on the front lines. He reaches the area called Aerok Hill where the fighting is most intense. Soon after the truth is reveled a cease fire is signed and the two sides rejoice. But the war is far from over. This war movie interested me more then most of the recent ones. The main reason is that my grandfather served in the Korean War and there hasn't been a lot of movies made about that war. I was interested to see the stuff he refused to tell me about. After watching this I can see why. The movie is a Korean movie so the entire movie deals with a platoon of South Korean soldiers and their struggles. I have said before that for better or worse every war movie since it's release is compared to "Saving Private Ryan", and I never thought a movie could top that one. This is as close as I've seen and in some ways may be better. This is far and away better then "Letters From Iwo Jima" but like both of those movies you are so involved with the characters it is no longer a movie of nameless faces dying but people you feel a connection with. This movie makes you feel all kinds of emotions but the last half hour will make you feel things you never knew you could. Another example of how much power a movie has when it's done right. I highly recommend this movie. Overall, one of, if not the best war movie I have ever seen. I give it an A.

Another very good Korean War Film

Author: mickeychasetan from near water, USA
18 November 2011

The Front Line Go-ji-jeon is not as good as Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War, which is one of the best war films from any country. What it does give you is a good example of the futility of war and how events in war can made little sense to a sane person. One of the interesting points in the movie was the signing of the peace documents during the ongoing peace negotiations and see General Mark Wayne Clark's signature focused on. General Mark Wayne Clark was considered by many to be one of the worst examples of the leadership chain in the US Army during World War II, do a little research on Clark and it will help you understand that there were a few very inept Generals in the US military just as there are poor CEO's in the corporate world today. Again very good war flick and another good movie from South Korea.

Wow, what a great movie!!!!

Author: rightwingisevil from United States
17 March 2012

an epic movie about the korean war. same people in the same origin, same ancestor, just because the ideological manipulation by the soviet and Chinese communists, a nation on the peninsula turned into a purgatory during the early 1950s. all the critical important ingredients/elements making a film this great were well provided: great screenplay full of atrocity of killings, sacrifices, ridiculousness of war and battles, stupid ideology, the greatness and the smallness of human natures, great directing, casting, cinematography, locations, stunts, graphic design, editing, sound effects, background music arrangement....and most memorable acting/performance, all well combined and turned this movie into a great viewing experience.

the most important message of this film: the ridiculousness of the war, the stupidity of battling with a non-exist but well manipulated cause. the blindness of human nature, the helpless of being a soldier, an expendable pawn by higher ranking officers and their nations' political and military leaders, the foreign countries' ideology manipulations. all the human lives consumed in wars and battles are just meaningless and forgettable. they are just statistic numbers in history books.

this ridiculously sad war movie only sent you a strong message: for what and what for?

Not done yet

Author: kosmasp
28 March 2012

The war (or specific battles/events during the war) between North and South Korea has been the backbone of quite a few South Korean movies. Most of them really get something good out of this mess. And this movie is no different. Staying mostly on one side, you still get to see "the enemy" and their points of view from time to time. It is superbly cut together and acted very fine.

While I'm not sure about how accurate the movie is by presenting the events (I'm guessing it takes a few creative freedoms), it does not hold back when it comes to punches (or bullets for that matter). The lines between good and evil are really thin. You might argue there are none. The grey area is very big, that is one thing that is very true though. Not the best war movie to come out of Korea, it still is superior to a lot of other war movies.

War is Hell

Author: yoshi-features from Japan
23 July 2013

First review here on IMDb so I'll keep it short.

This movie is fresh in my mind as I can literally see the credits fading on the other portion of the screen.

This is a great, superbly acted movie about the horrors and futility of war. There really are no "villains" just different shades of grey, as both side is portrayed as just as guilty as the other.

It shows both sides of the war and how they are both fighting for control a small piece of land and at the same time continuously asking the question of "why?"

There are some moments of camaraderie between the two different sides as well, so it isn't all just blood and guts, yet it is more gruesome than Hollywood films.

In summary, if you want to see a good war film aside from the usual Hollywood remakes and rehashes then this one is a good one.

The Futility of War From Another Viewpoint

Author: museumofdave from Corning, California
14 July 2013

Unless you are totally familiar with the strange morass that was the Korean War, the results of which are this day evident in a divided county, it might help to zip over to Wikipedia and get an overview of the reasons for the conflict, some historical background as backup, as The Front Line tosses the viewer into the heat and broil of battle at once, and it helps to know what's going on historically.

That said, this is an amazingly powerful and kinetic document about power and honor and the nature of being a soldier; it is told from the viewpoints of one main character sent to join a problematic unit where it appears that there might be an embedded traitor; along with the viewer, the character discovers who in the unit holds what secrets, who has a sense of perspective, who cannot take orders and even unearths a past event which explains the odd behavior of so many in the unit. All this while having to engage in brutal battle, often hand-to-hand, on a daily battle, an immersion into human beings expected to be killing machines.

Like Kubrick's great anti-war classic, Paths of Glory, The Front has the men engaged in which is essentially a suicide mission to save a small inch of land; in Paths of Glory, it was the "Anthill," held by the Germans; in this film, Aerok Hill, still in dispute. This is a dark film with occasional glimmers of humanity, but no glorification of war.

A Must View

Author: Yannick Roelands from Belgium
16 January 2015

Beautiful, without an equal.

The acting, superb. The story, breathtaking. The action, astonishing. The screen writing, unparalleled.

This movie left a deep impression on me. I recommend watching it if you haven't, you'll find yourself going through a roller coaster of emotions, clinching to your chair/couch without being able to leave.

The story is not for the weak-hearted as you see war in it's most true form, the emotions from both sides as the fighting comes to a close. The relationship between enemies, comrades, friends. In the end, making men cry, young & old.

(Blue-ray is recommended if you want to truly see the most subtle touches, I could not view it any other way)

Typically gutsy Korean war outing

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
21 June 2013

THE FRONT LINE is a typical addition to the recent wave of South Korean war movies that strive to explore new avenues on a very famous theatre of war. The last two I saw were WELCOME TO DONGMAKGOL and 71 INTO THE FIRE; the former was a politically intriguing exploration of the nature of conflict itself, while the latter was a flag-waving crowd-pleaser.

THE FRONT LINE falls somewhere between the two, refusing to demonise opponents while at the same time providing plenty of gritty war action. The earth-flying battle sequences are by far the highlight of this film as the screen is transformed into a nightmarish and barren landscape of blown-up hillsides, dingy trenches and muddy holes in the ground. This is real warfare, post-SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, throwing you into the thick of realistic action and making you feel like you're fighting at the side of the protagonists.

It's a pleasure to report that the non-battle storyline is every bit as watchable as the scenes taking place on the battlefield. As in the earlier BROTHERHOOD, much of the plot revolves around the developing relationship between two characters whom the war transforms in different ways: one becomes battle-weary and resigned, the other slightly unhinged and with a real killer instinct. It's a poignant, carefully-drawn relationship and one that sustains the running time admirably. Okay, so some of the sub-plots openly copy those of earlier movies (the whole sniper thing in particular) but that doesn't detract from what is a very good recent war movie.

Must See for all War movie fans!

Author: decemberrr from United States
28 December 2013

Although in Korean, this movie has captured the complete experience of war. It shows the futility of the foolishness of mankind. Eventually, even the supposed winner never wins. This is a most see to all war movie fans! OPINION: The rich and greedy bankers who finance wars use good honest innocent peoples blood and sacrifice to enrich themselves. Look who profits. Iraq, Afghanistan are good present day examples. Do your research and wake up. We free (or so called free) citizens are being duped and sold down the river by these heartless bastards. All in the guise and name of patriotism! America is in big trouble, and being destroyed piece by piece. http://thearizonasentinel.com /2013/12/24/ senior-military-officers-finally-speaking-up/