IMDb > "Copper" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Copper"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Copper" More at IMDbPro »

Not like anything else

Author: reeseslightning from United States
21 August 2012

When I first saw the trailer for Copper, I figured it would be like a continuation of 'Gangs of New York.' How wrong I was. Though the setting of Copper mimics that of 'Gangs,' it goes further beyond into the seedy underbelly of the Five Points. It focuses not on revenge or the Civil War, but rather what problems plagued the detectives that tried to keep order in a lawless town.

On its own, Copper is a unique perspective on how justice was done in America. Essentially, the show is about Kevin Corcoran, a detective in the Five Points who stops at nothing to get his man, even the ones that think they are above the law. He relies heavily on his partner, Francis Maguire, during the inevitable trouble that follows them wherever they go. Kevin also invokes the help of a black doctor, Matthew Freeman, whose brilliant mind helps the detectives identify certain characteristics of victims that will lead to the killer. But their relationship is tricky due to the fresh wounds that are present from a recovering nation after the Civil War.

This show is not at all shy or subtle in its approach as to how things were back then. From the issues of race, class, peer pressure, and the common practice of child prostitution, nothing is left untouched by Copper. This show is certainly not afraid of offending people and you know what? That's what makes it so good to watch.

Tom Weston-Jones commands the screen from the first glance and refuses to let go as we are introduced to more characters. He gives an air of mystery and respectability to his role as Kevin Corcoran. He and his co-stars are able to carry the load of heavy scenes that might otherwise make viewers uncomfortable in an understated way. The fact that the bulk of them are complete unknowns (at least in America) allows the audience to watch without any preconceived notions about what to expect.

Overall, I really liked the pilot. It has serious potential as it was able to balance a certain number of characters with intertwining story lines that make sense. It would be easy for the writers to back away from the uncomfortable situations that the characters get into, but I hope they don't. The raw talk and bold themes are what make this show unique.

Excellent acting. Excellent historical coverage.

Author: lmeowyers from Austin, Texas
21 August 2012

The historical evidence is correct. The cast is well assembled with unknowns in America. I sense Shakespearean acting experience in the deliveries of several of the cast members. This elevates the performances. I like the idea of the "mystery" presented in the first episode. This allows background to build along the way. Several openings were exposed for this material to grow. The beginnings of a budding city that will become a great city has major growing pains. The plot demonstrates this well. I enjoyed the artistry in showing the distinctions between the class system strongly evident in early America. The strength of the Irish element is excellently portrayed.

fascinated by copper

Author: sandrao-478-876039 from canada
16 September 2012

I love this show it has absolutely fascinated me with the story. I want to know what happened to Ellen, what will happen to everyone in it.

Everything that you think you know, you have to just throw it out when the next show comes on and it all changes. There is something so wonderful about watching it unfold.

The characters are so interesting; dark and deep. I cannot begin to know what will happen and that cannot be said for much that is on television. I love the unique flavour of this show,the gritty reality. So often people have romanticized the roles of saloon girls and cops and this show does not do that at all, sure some might find that too explicit but they can go watch the regular formula stuff on the bland networks.I find this whole series absolutely perfect. Can't wait to see it each week.

Intriguing, different

Author: shanfan_14 from Windsor, Ontario
24 September 2012

I was hooked by the promos. Although I like period dramas, usually my preferences tend more toward much earlier times. The atmosphere, the setting, even the costumes on "Copper," however, bespoke something unusual.

The actors are spot-on. Their characterizations are very human, making them both likable and unlikeable. Justice is often dispensed based on situational ethics rather than word of law. This is refreshing, since we don't have to root for every one, every time.

The writing, production values, even the editing make the show compelling and the unanswered questions persuade me to come back each episode to see how the plot is furthered. While we still don't have the larger answers, there is enough going on in the foreground so that this is not a drawback. It makes the denouement worth waiting for.

I have favorites among the characters, of course, but have a couple of unfavorites, as well: Eva, the friends-with-benefits "businesswoman" who, apparently doesn't mind snuffing out any potential rivals for someone who, in the end, will never be hers, anyway (she's quite awful: who would want to be?) and the evil child we've seen in so many horror movies that I, for one, can't muster up even a modicum of sympathy for. They and a smattering of others simply elicit the "Can't wait for this one to buy it" response.

It's outstanding in the current field. This, alas, means it probably will have a short shelf-life, as so many imaginative, non-generic shows do. I sincerely hope, however, that this proves the exception.

A smartly made show worth watching

Author: Zulu42 from United States
7 October 2012

Copper came out of the gate a bit slowly, and that turned out to be a good thing. It's written to give a good, solid character development that really comes in handy as the show progresses and avoids the usual 2 dimensional "good guy/bad guy" stuff where so many characters usually become boring in similar types of drama.

Tom Weston-Jones is solid as Irish American copper Kevin "Corky" Corcoran and he's completely believable as a 19th century law officer in the Five Points area of New York City trying to do the job as honorably as he can, as well as locate his missing wife and find the murderer of his young daughter, amongst other things. An added bit of gritty reality finds that he's human and sometimes finds himself tempted by stuff (and occasionally partakes in certain acts) that most viewers today know are pretty much illegal or at least borderline not lawful. That's what makes this series so good is that it plays on a part of 19th century history that was pretty messed up due to the tumult caused by the civil war, but not touched on too often in television, anyway, from the gritty appearances of the cast and the scenery, to the questionable law practices. That's what makes this show a standout.

BBC America has got a winner in this one and it just keeps getting better as the storyline is fleshed out a little more with each episode. I can see why Barry Levinson is not afraid to attach his moniker to this show as an executive producer. It's that good.

An epic period crimdrama echoing the ghosts of Deadwood and Rome and so many others.

Author: wse-jack from United States
14 September 2012

Copper may not be the greatest show on earth but it is damned good. Every time I start and episode I am put off by it for a few minutes, into it for a few more. Then straight up Enthrawled in it as the plot gains weight and momentum.

The show has exception gripping scenes of violence when it has them though it usually doesn't, but when they are their they fully justify the TVMA rating (which is hard to get considering the stuff that hell on wheels does only manages them a tv14).

The acting is superb, the setting well done despite a few quirks with some virtual backgrounds, though totally understandable given the small budget. all in all the people seem rough dirty and brutal.

Most of the show consists of a our main character corky navigating up and down the lines of inner and upper class as he searches for criminals. sick, petty. and vial criminals. that are intertwined in both.

The mellow drama isn't up to par with some other shows other but its not trying too hard and its also not trying to rip off these shows. In that the echos of deadwood are seen, if only they could make this like that, but that wouldn't happen, never the less the spirit in deadwoods creation is in this, just with less articulate melodrama.

The characters are interesting and engaging, the violence brutal and bloody and the way the plot snowballs in mini stories is great.

Its also a touch relaxing to watch, for all its brutality, its very comfortable. you trust the characters to behave as they should and in that kinda in a bit of a trip./

Brilliant TV!

Author: zerkcie from Hot Springs, AR
4 October 2012

I absolutely love this show. The characters are so well written and really pull you into their world. I really love shows that don't throw any punches about the subject matter of the time they are showing. The dirty and grittiness of the sets make you feel like your really there.

If you like crime drama then you should really check this show out. It really captures the time period well. Showing how even though the North is fighting to stop slavery that racism was still a very large part of life everywhere.

Detective Cochran is one of those guys you would always want on your side, and would never want to be on his wanted list. And what a outstanding job that Kiara Glasco does as Annie. I haven't seen a young actress act so beyond their age since Kirsten Dunst in Interview with a Vampire.

One of my new favorite shows on TV. I wish more shows today would have the substance this show does. Well done indeed.

Gave it a chance..

Author: A 7861 from Australia
6 November 2012

And it delivered. I was not expecting much from this show, not because of the relatively unknown actors, but because there's a lot of "back in the day" shows coming out the last couple of years (Deadwood, Hell On Wheels, Boardwalk Empire etc) though this show has certain hints from other shows, it has it's own gritty feel about it.

The characters are great, and you never know who is doing what or who they are doing it for, there's no "Oh I know what's about to happen" and even if you get that thought process, it's a very unlikely chance you'll have guessed it right.

As stated in a previous review it's not the greatest show on earth, but just when you're about to give up on it, you get smacked in the face with the next scene which leaves you hanging for the next season, I do recommend watching this if you are a fan of Deadwood/Hell On Wheels.

Fantastic New York Historical Fiction

Author: tmk824 from New York
12 September 2013

I had the great pleasure of studying American History at Brown University however that has made me quite picky when it comes to historical fiction whether it be in the form of a novel, movie or television series, but Copper has me thoroughly satisfied. Being a born and bred New Yorker I am always on the look out for anything related to the history of the City especially the 19th Century and this show has me sitting on the edge of my seat every week.

The sets are remarkable, the characters have depth and Five Points as the backdrop is the cherry on top. I hope there is 3rd season and much more on the agenda.

Excellent Period Crime Drama!!

Author: wig2160 from Detroit, Michigan
3 January 2013

Excellent Period Crime Drama!! What can be said about Copper, by far the best Drama on TV at the moment. Cinematography is so well done makes you feel as if you are watching from the squalid Five Points in the 1860's. Plots are complex and well developed as are the characters. Do yourself a favor and buy this when it comes out on Blu-ray, you wont be sorry. Cochran reminds me of myself if I were a cop in that time, a little dirty perhaps but justice would be served. Politics and Power are well played out as are the scenes and ramifications of the Civil War. This show is not for the faint of heart, it has some of violence and nudity, so it is not for children. I cannot wait for season 2 to start my DVR will be in overdrive.