"Doctor Who: The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe (#7.0)"
« Prev | 83 of 154 Episodes | Next »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

It's nigh impossible to defend this childish garbage

Author: Scott Baldwin (Meven_Stoffat) from Canada
24 December 2013

Gotta love Christmas. Well, I do. But the downside is the people who save away at long shifts and suddenly go get scary drunk and get into trouble, but I don't do that. I set limits for myself, although I do often expect some drunken fun. However, another downside is that you never know whether the DW Christmas special will be good or bad, and even though I only got into the show just over a year so, I can tell Christmas is usually a gamble with regards to these specials, and I can say that I've enjoyed the majority of them, but I sadly can't say the same thing about The Doctor, The Widow, The Wardrobe.

This is especially a comedown after the heady thrill of The Christmas Carol, a reselling it the beloved Dickens tale with a Who twist. And it's no secret that 2011 was not that good a year for Doctor Who; with series 6 being a complete mess of over-arching story lines and tryhardism, so it's natural that Moffat would go for a more childish approach. Problem is, this episode was clearly designed for children with not a single ounce of maturity in it, and it's absolutely painful to watch. Moffat isn't the best writer for Who (but he is better than Russell T. Davies) and he is mostly really good when he writes, but when he's bad, boy is he bad, and this is a case.

Alright, so I'd be lying if I said it was totally bad. Mtt Smith is predictably great (same can't be said for that awful wig he wears) The ending was quite emotional, with The Doctor going back in time to save the housekeeper's husband, but that's something the Doctor would NEVER do, especially after he learned the nightmarish consequences of such in Father's Day. I get that every Doctor is different but this was just painful to watch. I don't expect every single DW episode to be exactly great, but I do expect it to be at least fun, and having some substance. This has none. Avoid.

dreadful, dire, abominable

Author: stesimbrotos from United Kingdom
28 July 2012

The title indicates that this is CS Lewis revisited.

A childish tone is developed and maintained which today's sophisticated kids may, and should, feel insulted by.

The cast features several of the current batch of bland comedians who are doing themselves no favours appearing in this tosh.

This years season of Dr Who has twisted and turned with now predictable and formulaic Moffat shtick punctuated by the odd contemporary embarrassment such as the "Anglican gay marines". Hundreds of years into the future and gays still have to be defensive about their sexuality.

Moffat is on the slide - he can't possibly get worse than this.

But I'm sure he'll try.