IMDb > For a Good Time, Call... (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Laugh out loud funny!!

Author: michael-lewis-nyc from United States
4 February 2012

I had the privilege of seeing the premiere in Sundance and nearly peed my pants with laughter! I had read a blurb about the movie and heard comparisons to Bridesmaids, but this is the epitome of an independent comedy without the typical and predictable Hollywood plot lines.

Without giving too much away, this movie was very funny from the first scene to the last and the characters were not afraid to be REAL. There conversations were real, behaviors were real and emotions were real. I fell in love with Ari Graynor as an actress and can not believe she is not a mega-star already. I had never even heard of Lauren Miller (but found out she's married to Seth Rogen) prior to this, but this will most certainly be her breakout film. I am smiling and laughing as I am typing this!

For a Good Time Call is exactly what you think about with an independent film - no sugar coating or dumbing down to make it appeal to a mass audience. As sappy as it sounds, I laughed and nearly cried at the end and when the curtain went up at Sundance I was one of the people who stood up and clapped vigorously. I cannot wait for this movie to hit the theaters and I am hopeful the writers and actors are thinking about a sequel as I never wanted this one to end!

For a Good Time...You Could Do Worse Than This Movie

Author: evanston_dad from United States
10 September 2013

When this movie first started, I thought it was going to be outright bad. But its off-beat rhythm grew on me, and by the time it was over I found myself enjoying it quite a lot.

Lauren Miller and Ari Graynor play roommates who first hate each other and then become best friends when they team up to run a phone sex business. There are some predictable conflicts that do more to slow the film down than add interest, but there are enough surprises along the way to keep the film from turning into the predictable sitcom it might otherwise have been.

Justin Long has a supporting role as the flamboyant gay man that has become a stock character in every movie that wants to earn its hip and edgy badge, and though I can acknowledge that the lines coming out of his mouth were funny, they weren't funny enough to overcome my complete resistance to him as an actor.

Grade: B+

Lauren Miller and Ari Graynor pretty good chemistry

Author: SnoopyStyle
31 August 2013

Lauren Miller is probably best known for being Seth Rogen's wife which is probably unfair. She's the co-writer and star of this movie.

Lauren Powell (Lauren Miller) has money trouble and needs a roommate for an amazing Gramercy Park apartment. Her best friend Jesse (Justin Long) finds her a roommate, only they already know each other. She's Katie (Ari Graynor) and was a college frenemy.

The money trouble continues and Lauren decide to join Katie in a phone sex business. The chemistry between the girls is pretty good. There's up and down which is what the movie is about.

The movie is marginally funny. Not all the setups work out well. The chemistry helps a little.

For Half A Good Time, Watch This Movie!

Author: Ck dexterhaven from United States
21 August 2013

Lauren (Lauren Miller) and Katie Steele (Ari Graynor) both need a roommate. Lauren just broke up with her boyfriend, Charlie (James Wolk) and Katie is behind on the rent. They are introduced by a mutual friend, Jesse (Justin Long) and just like that Lauren and Katie remember they hated each other in college. Realizing they have no alternatives for living in such a nice apartment the two enemies move in together and patch up their differences. Soon after they move in, Lauren loses her job, and Katie shares a little secret, she's an operator on a phone sex line. With job prospects not looking so good, Lauren becomes a call screener for Katie and they start their own phone sex line called 1-800-MMM-HMM. The phone sex line is so successful that they hire another talker named Krissy (Sugar Lynn Beard) but Krissy is a fundamentalist Christian, more interested in saving souls than talking dirty. With nowhere else to turn Katie asks Lauren to join her as on air talent? What does Lauren do? When Lauren gets a legitimate job offer at a publishing firm, and her ex asks her to come back, does she leave her new BFF Katie in the dust? I like this movie, but it's a qualified like. It made me laugh, especially Justin Long's character. There is also a very funny cameo by Seth Rogan, that I was not expecting. I don't like how they seemingly had to choose phone sex operator as a profession, Hollywood has this fixation of making all women either prostitutes, and now a step up from prostitutes, phone sex operators. Where is the phone sex operator booth on career day? Don't go looking for it ladies, as much as Hollywood wants you to do it, don't be tempted. I was also put off by yet another portrayal of a Christian as a Bible thumping fundamentalist. To Hollywood Christians are basically one joke characters. And finally, this movie makes a mistake that many comedies make, it tries to get serious, and that's when Katie, loses all her edge and becomes a conventional, even hackneyed character. The ending is muddled and meaningless, which added to my ambivalence about this movie, but Justin Long is consistently funny as the ubiquitous gay character, Seth Rogan is funny in his cameo, and the banter between Miller and Graynor is pretty good for the first half of the movie, but falters. The pacing is slow, for a 90 minute movie, it seems much longer. This movie is not for kids, hence the R-rating. A well-deserved R for all the sex talk. There shouldn't have been so much, and it wasn't even the funniest part of the movie. For a good Time Call or more accuratelyfor half a good time watch.

Cute, Quirky, Fun.

Author: sofiecatlover from United Kingdom
3 August 2013

When I decided to watch this film it was because I wanted something light-hearted and easy to watch. I'm not a huge chick flick fan but I was really positively surprised with this film.

It was very funny and the main emphasis was about friendship over anything else. Don't get me wrong there was some saucy humour in there and it was definitely the kind of film you'd watch after a couple of drink with the girls, but it was more than that; and I think girls and guys alike will enjoy.

The main characters complimented each other well and although they were both flawed that just emphasised their likability.

So if you want something a bit naughty and a bit fun I would definitely recommend.

Great Film! Great acting!

Author: creepy666 from United States
6 September 2012

I was pleasantly surprised this film was so good. I don't always like 'chick flicks" but decided to go. The story was interesting and the actors timing was excellent. The locations and editing were superb. As good as any Hollywood film made for millions and millions!

I found out during the credits that the main actors had other roles in the production which means they are super talented. I love to support fellow filmmakers and this info made me really happy and proud.

The audience was more women than men but you could tell the men were really liking it too. The two main actors are both attractive in entirely different ways. It was interesting to see their contrasts on screen.

If you like sex, comedy and friendship films this is a great one to see.

a girl-bromance with lots of phone sex

Author: mtf-boston from United States
3 September 2012

This comedy is about two women in their 20's who come together to create a phone sex business. It's a women's bromance (is there a word for that?). I thought that this movie worked on all levels. It's very funny, but if no-holds-barred phone sex is too much for you, you might not be as entertained as I was. And it really worked as this phone sex business really did (surprisingly) empower these women. One would expect degradation. I'm a middle aged guy who went with my wife and adult children, and we all loved this movie. I rarely go to comedies anymore, as I am invariably bored with the movies that my kids tell me they loved. This movie had solid acting, great dialog, and a ton of crude but very funny humor. Both leading women are so likable. I often rate films on this site, but don't write reviews, but I liked this so much more than others here, I had to express my opinion.

Take your best friend!!!

Author: Fawn Julsaint from Chicago, IL
5 August 2012

Had so much fun watching this movie with my best friend. We laughed, laughed, and laughed some more! It was a rom-com spoof using best friends instead of a romantic relationship. The chemistry between characters was so playful and realistic, the writing stayed consistently great throughout the movie (there was no dull middle), and the stars were fresh and candid. Love that this movie was written at a kitchen table, filmed within 16 days, and came out looking like a high budget film. Great writing and acting! Had so much fun meeting the director, starts, and writers after the film. It's so much fun supporting people who are relate able and down to earth.

The Female Buddy film is doing fine these days.

Author: jdesando from United States
13 September 2012

For a Good Time, Call . . . is not the sexiest movie you'll see this year, even though it is about phone sex with some very racy language. It isn't about gay friendship either, although some of the situations might suggest that notion. No, it's about the business of friendship, the need to accept and nurture differences until real love emerges, not phony stuff.

Frenemies from college, Lauren (Lauren Miller) and Katie (Ari Graynor), are thrown together in their living arrangement and, overcoming their original dislike for each other (Katie spilled a large cup of urine on Lauren in college), start a successful phone-sex business. Yet that raunchy language doesn't shock probably because it's so dislocated in phone lines that it loses any immediacy and sensuality.

The real heat of this light comedy is in the growing love between the two principals. As different as they are blond and brunette, they are alike in their passionate need for loving relationships, not the superficial bromances of Judd Apatow, but more like his sisterly production of Bridesmaids, itself raunchy but with wit that transcends the male equivalent comedies.

For a Good Time is more like I Love You, Man as it navigates close same sex friendship. The two actresses are important to the film's success: cute and smart, Graynor and Miller are distaff Butch and Sundance best buddy characters. Graynor has comedic heft and looks that remind me of Bette Midler; Miller's opening scene with lover James Wolk's Charlie is one of the most realistic takes on a split in recent memory.

The film is not without its formulas and clichés, such as enemies becoming friends, the gay best friend, and the clueless rich parents. The last third of the film is filled with formulaic resolution, especially the breakup that will never stick. But that lack of imagination serves to highlight the imaginative novelty of new women who will say "I love you" to each other loud, openly, and without guilt.

The film fails to give any insight into the art and success of phone sex or its enduring allure. That Katie is falling for a regular customer, Sean (mark Webber), does more to open the question about the downside of the biz, namely the potential perverts, than it does to expand the romantic possibilities of the comedy itself.

Perhaps that's another comedy that the Bridesmaids and Hangover filmmakers, including Judd Apatow, would like to try, given that women have now permanently entered into hitherto male only romantic comedy territory.

I will buy this movie the first day it is out and re-watch it with my best friends!

Author: allena630 from portland, or
12 September 2012

This movie was hilarious! It was about friendship and love and figuring out who you are, not who people want you to be, all with humor. I loved it! My fiancée and I laughed the entire movie a few tears in the sweet moments. Both of the main actresses were exceptionally funny and I love that there are funny women out there making movies! I recommend this movie to anyone who can handle lots sexual content and wants to laugh a lot. Those who didn't enjoy it, they may have been expecting a drama or something with a serious life changing story line with their expectations so high. Just go into the movie knowing this is about laughing and about loving your true friends, ignoring the differences you have oh and phone sex! Watch it watch it watch it!

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]