For a Good Time, Call... (2012) Poster

35 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
For a Better Time, View
in19845 April 2013
The film title doesn't mislead us. Sex toys, phones, and ladies are involved. It's also a relationship film, but an impressive variation from the usual romantic comedy angle.

Like another film from this year, Giant Mechanical Man, a significant part of this story involves young adults finding themselves along with happiness after what they thought was a serious relationship was ended by the significant other. And so begins the adventure. It may be we have a new type of urban adventure involving main characters exploring the unchartered territories of themselves and those close to them.

Unlike GMM, this is not nearly as predictable. Just when you think you know where it's headed, it shifts directions and explores areas that rarely get explored in film.

It also does many of the artistic things that other films keep failing to do in terms of how and who the villains/enemies are and who those you can trust are.

Another relatively low-key, indie film from 2012 doing new stuff that doesn't involve 3D, computer FX, or horribly loud audio blasted at the audience.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quirky independent comedy well worth the pennies you will spend to see it...
rachelandfilms13 June 2013
Okay first things first, I know this movie will raise a few eyebrows amongst you, but I would urge you not to base this film off of its synopsis or concept. Don't get me wrong, this film is what you think, but it's also NOT. It all revolves around two former-college "frenemies" (I really hate that term, but whatever…) who both need to find a roommate so they can stay in New York and live the "American Dream" which is when mutual friend Jesse (played by an hilariously camp Justin Long) forces them to move in together. The two women, strapped for cash, very quickly set up a phone-sex-line and realise a very lucrative, if not slightly filthy, business opportunity. The phone-sex-line however, is not the centre of this film, though it certainly plays a significant part. The heart of this film lies in the friendship that grows from this business, and this is where a lot of our laughs and "awh" moments come from. This film is borne from a post-Bridesmaids we-women-can-be-just-as- filthy-and-funny-as-men era and it takes that female empowerment to a whole new level with both ladies showing their modern-esque sexuality and embracing there situation. They don't lament their career and pity themselves for running such a service. In fact they revel in their power and it's quite an empowering, if not slightly wacky, message to bring to our screens. Aside from the I-am-woman-hear-me-roar quality to the film though comes the message of love that slowly grows between the characters, and this is where the film really grows on you. The chemistry between the two lead actors is very convincing and as I watched I couldn't help but think that they had a truly distinctive "Womance" (that's the female version of a bromance) that is rear to see in film or TV. In fact now I think about it there is no pop-culture media-frenzy womance that really comes to mind, which is irritating really. Maybe this awesome little film will pave the way for more womances in the future, I certainly hope so.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's a surprisingly intelligent film with plenty of laughs.
I B4 February 2013
A comedy about phone sex may not sound like a good idea, but For A Good Time, Call... manages to pull it off thanks to a good deal of humor and character development. Much of the humor here is raunchy but it works. It's not one of those dumb raunchy comedies. Some of the best bits happen when Lauren and Katie talk to their customers. One of them is Captain Jerry who's played by Seth Rogen, Lauren Miller's real-life husband. Miller plays proper young woman Lauren Powell. She was also one of the script writers, along with Katie Anne Naylon. They based the script on their real-life experiences as college roommates. Miller's performance is suitable and works well opposite Ari Graynor as Katie Steel. There's commitment from every actor involved but it's Graynor who steals every scene she's in. She has the best lines and she knows it. She plays her character like a pro. At first she doesn't seem appealing to the audience, but as the film progresses she becomes a rounded and likable personality. Although the story is set in the modern day the film still seems like one of those films from the early-1990s. It reminded me of Clerks (1994). A good script and a good setup make For A Good Time, Call... one of the better comedies of 2012. I recommend it.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For a Good Time, See... THIS MOVIE
loganbhardy23 January 2012
Attended the World Premier of For a Good Time, Call... at the Sundance Film Festival

If you liked Bridesmaids you'll want to see this movie. For a Good Time, Call... had the audience in stitches the whole way through. It somehow manages to be both raunchy and sweet at the same time. Cameo's with Seth Rogen and Kevin Smith were hilarious. Ari Graynor is perversely funny. (that's a compliment) Lauren Miller is just too damn cute. And Justin Long WOULD make a great Bond villain. I loved it and if you're not a complete prude I think you'll find things to love as well.
38 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Uneven Comedy – Funny in Certain Moments, Lame in the Others
Claudio Carvalho15 December 2013
In Manhattan, the nerd aspirant editor Lauren Powell (Lauren Anne Miller) is dumped by her boyfriend Charlie (James Wolk) that is expatriated to Rome. Meanwhile, the manicure Katie Steele (Ari Graynor) can not afford the raise in the rent of her apartment at the Gramercy Park. Their common gay friend Jesse (Justin Long) brings Lauren to share the apartment with Katie, but they are college enemies and have difficulties to accept each other. Katie also works in a phone sex line but her income is very low. When Lauren loses her lousy job and is not accepted in a publishing house, she decides to use her knowledge to make a profitable business in sex for Katie and herself. But when Lauren's parents unexpectedly appear in the apartment, their friendship is tested.

"For a Good Time, Call..." is an uneven comedy, funny in certain moments and lame in others. The religious fanatic in very unfunny; the slut Katie being a virgin is something ridiculous. But there are many scenes that make laugh. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Para se Divertir, Ligue..." ("For a Good Time, Call...")

Note: On 21 July 2016, I saw this film again.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Crass and crude but sweet and cute, this female friendship is funny and enjoyable
napierslogs29 September 2012
Lauren (Lauren Miller) and Katie (Ari Graynor) have a mutual friend (Justin Long), but they hate each other. A humorous flashback scene is included to help explain their hatred. Essentially, they hate each other because they're opposites. Lauren lives the settled conservative life with her perfect, boring boyfriend; Katie is an adventurous, flamboyant sex phone operator. And now their current situations force them to become roommates.

Our ticking clock of the three-month lease sets a good, quick pace for the adventures and relationships the girls get themselves into. Lauren's sudden unemployment coupled with the good head on her shoulders sparks her idea to help Katie launch her own sex phone hotline. Cut-out the middle man and take more of the profits.

A smart move the film made was to have their business be successful right off the bat. That's because the film isn't about the phone sex hotline business but rather Lauren and Katie's friendship. Written by girls, starring girls, about girls and for girls. Earlier this summer, the male stripper movie "Magic Mike" turned into a rather nice surprise as it became a quarter-life crisis dramedy. And now the crass and crude sex comedy "For a Good Time, Call…" is actually a cute and sweet female buddy film.

While the dialogue is extreme, it is surprisingly fairly well written. It's all in context, and the vulgar and coarse sex jokes fit in extremely well with the plot. The final scene, the climax if you will, is an excellent example of keeping the sex-addled jokes funny and completely in context of the story.

A certain indie filmmaker shows up for one cameo scene where self-servicing has never been as funny. The other well-documented cameo with Seth Rogen isn't nearly as funny because it is also supposed to serve as plot advancement. Plot advancement is limited as it is very predictable and the jokes are very one-note, but it's still funny.

"For a Good Time, Call…" is honest in what it claims to be, and despite an unresolved storyline, we're cheering for Lauren and Katie by the end because of the actors and how they have connected them to us. Lauren is beautiful and sympathetic; Katie is more complex and is gorgeously displaying one of the sexiest figures to grace the screen.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Laugh out loud funny!!
michael-lewis-nyc4 February 2012
I had the privilege of seeing the premiere in Sundance and nearly peed my pants with laughter! I had read a blurb about the movie and heard comparisons to Bridesmaids, but this is the epitome of an independent comedy without the typical and predictable Hollywood plot lines.

Without giving too much away, this movie was very funny from the first scene to the last and the characters were not afraid to be REAL. There conversations were real, behaviors were real and emotions were real. I fell in love with Ari Graynor as an actress and can not believe she is not a mega-star already. I had never even heard of Lauren Miller (but found out she's married to Seth Rogen) prior to this, but this will most certainly be her breakout film. I am smiling and laughing as I am typing this!

For a Good Time Call is exactly what you think about with an independent film - no sugar coating or dumbing down to make it appeal to a mass audience. As sappy as it sounds, I laughed and nearly cried at the end and when the curtain went up at Sundance I was one of the people who stood up and clapped vigorously. I cannot wait for this movie to hit the theaters and I am hopeful the writers and actors are thinking about a sequel as I never wanted this one to end!
19 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unfunny, unsuccessful comedy
davideo-216 May 2013
STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

Former bosom buddies turned long separated rivals Lauren (Lauren Miller) and Katie (Ari Graynor) find themselves thrown back together by chance, through GBF Jesse (Justin Long) and after sorting out their differences, Lauren learns Katie's making ends meat by being a phone sex operator. At first repulsed by this, she agrees to help only with the business side of things, but then unleashes the inner vixen inside her.

Good, clean wholesome comedy just doesn't do the rounds any more. Not that I want it to, but it says something that yet another edgy, sex based comedy has come out of nowhere, with what must have been a pretty limited theatrical release and an even more unnoticed DVD arrival. But of course, there's probably a more obvious reason for this.

Jamie Travis's film is just not funny, with a plot that's lost your interest about twenty minutes in and is just left to wallow in the mire, with little cohesion or comic timing. Current comedy favourites Kevin Smith and Seth Rogen make only the briefest cameos and, along with the film's minimal publicity campaign, this should be saying something.

For a Good Time, Don't Watch. *
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
insipid, unimaginative, unfunny, drivel
showprobiz1 September 2012
Y-A-W-N ... a perfect example of a film that had absolutely no reason to be made (other than the empty avarice, enabled by a palpable disdain for its' intended audience, manifested by the producers of such a useless, worthless, waste of time, energy, and resources), and has nothing original, intelligent, or entertaining to offer. Old, lazy, and tired, unimaginative, sitcom "writing", characters and situations. If you dislike being amused, challenged, or stimulated - go waste an hour-and-a-half having your intelligence insulted by this pointless exercise in vapidity. You would probably derive more engaging entertainment, mental stimulation, and satisfaction playing solitaire with a deck of fifty-one cards. Mimi Rogers should have passed on this embarrassment. Seth Rogen? Kevin Smith? Are you kidding? Red Flags. How do these lumps get work? I guess the poster boy for brainless pablum (Asston Kutcher) was busy. Do yourself a favor; stay away.
14 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun but not very good
Jennifer Clapton7 August 2013
Contains SPOILERS: The blonde is totally vindictive and a brat and hated the brunette for no reason. She urinated in the brunette's car so the brunette kicked her out in a bad neighborhood. Uhhh, yeah, I would have done worse if some drunk fool did that in my new car. I would have been po'd, shoved her out of my car and would be tempted to strike her. I could see no reason for the blonde to hate her for that but whatever.

Anyway, they become friends and business partners and so on and so on. Equally stupid is the blonde who is a very sexually open, flamboyant phone sex operator who ends up being a virgin (no offense to phone sex operators, I am one myself). A virgin? Uh...OK, LAME.

Then that religious fanatic comes in undercover to apply for a job with the girls just to sabotage their business. Again, LAME.

But it was fun for me to see the male callers that phoned in, LOL. Working in the industry myself, I got a laugh out of that, pretty accurate.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this