IMDb > For a Good Time, Call... (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

For a Good Time, Call... More at IMDbPro »

For a Good Time, See... THIS MOVIE

Author: loganbhardy from United States
23 January 2012

Attended the World Premier of For a Good Time, Call... at the Sundance Film Festival

If you liked Bridesmaids you'll want to see this movie. For a Good Time, Call... had the audience in stitches the whole way through. It somehow manages to be both raunchy and sweet at the same time. Cameo's with Seth Rogen and Kevin Smith were hilarious. Ari Graynor is perversely funny. (that's a compliment) Lauren Miller is just too damn cute. And Justin Long WOULD make a great Bond villain. I loved it and if you're not a complete prude I think you'll find things to love as well.

It's a surprisingly intelligent film with plenty of laughs.

Author: I B from Mars
4 February 2013

A comedy about phone sex may not sound like a good idea, but For A Good Time, Call... manages to pull it off thanks to a good deal of humor and character development. Much of the humor here is raunchy but it works. It's not one of those dumb raunchy comedies. Some of the best bits happen when Lauren and Katie talk to their customers. One of them is Captain Jerry who's played by Seth Rogen, Lauren Miller's real-life husband. Miller plays proper young woman Lauren Powell. She was also one of the script writers, along with Katie Anne Naylon. They based the script on their real-life experiences as college roommates. Miller's performance is suitable and works well opposite Ari Graynor as Katie Steel. There's commitment from every actor involved but it's Graynor who steals every scene she's in. She has the best lines and she knows it. She plays her character like a pro. At first she doesn't seem appealing to the audience, but as the film progresses she becomes a rounded and likable personality. Although the story is set in the modern day the film still seems like one of those films from the early-1990s. It reminded me of Clerks (1994). A good script and a good setup make For A Good Time, Call... one of the better comedies of 2012. I recommend it.

Uneven Comedy – Funny in Certain Moments, Lame in the Others

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 December 2013

In Manhattan, the nerd aspirant editor Lauren Powell (Lauren Anne Miller) is dumped by her boyfriend Charlie (James Wolk) that is expatriated to Rome. Meanwhile, the manicure Katie Steele (Ari Graynor) can not afford the raise in the rent of her apartment at the Gramercy Park. Their common gay friend Jesse (Justin Long) brings Lauren to share the apartment with Katie, but they are college enemies and have difficulties to accept each other. Katie also works in a phone sex line but her income is very low. When Lauren loses her lousy job and is not accepted in a publishing house, she decides to use her knowledge to make a profitable business in sex for Katie and herself. But when Lauren's parents unexpectedly appear in the apartment, their friendship is tested.

"For a Good Time, Call..." is an uneven comedy, funny in certain moments and lame in others. The religious fanatic in very unfunny; the slut Katie being a virgin is something ridiculous. But there are many scenes that make laugh. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Para se Divertir, Ligue..." ("For a Good Time, Call...")

Crass and crude but sweet and cute, this female friendship is funny and enjoyable

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
29 September 2012

Lauren (Lauren Miller) and Katie (Ari Graynor) have a mutual friend (Justin Long), but they hate each other. A humorous flashback scene is included to help explain their hatred. Essentially, they hate each other because they're opposites. Lauren lives the settled conservative life with her perfect, boring boyfriend; Katie is an adventurous, flamboyant sex phone operator. And now their current situations force them to become roommates.

Our ticking clock of the three-month lease sets a good, quick pace for the adventures and relationships the girls get themselves into. Lauren's sudden unemployment coupled with the good head on her shoulders sparks her idea to help Katie launch her own sex phone hotline. Cut-out the middle man and take more of the profits.

A smart move the film made was to have their business be successful right off the bat. That's because the film isn't about the phone sex hotline business but rather Lauren and Katie's friendship. Written by girls, starring girls, about girls and for girls. Earlier this summer, the male stripper movie "Magic Mike" turned into a rather nice surprise as it became a quarter-life crisis dramedy. And now the crass and crude sex comedy "For a Good Time, Call…" is actually a cute and sweet female buddy film.

While the dialogue is extreme, it is surprisingly fairly well written. It's all in context, and the vulgar and coarse sex jokes fit in extremely well with the plot. The final scene, the climax if you will, is an excellent example of keeping the sex-addled jokes funny and completely in context of the story.

A certain indie filmmaker shows up for one cameo scene where self-servicing has never been as funny. The other well-documented cameo with Seth Rogen isn't nearly as funny because it is also supposed to serve as plot advancement. Plot advancement is limited as it is very predictable and the jokes are very one-note, but it's still funny.

"For a Good Time, Call…" is honest in what it claims to be, and despite an unresolved storyline, we're cheering for Lauren and Katie by the end because of the actors and how they have connected them to us. Lauren is beautiful and sympathetic; Katie is more complex and is gorgeously displaying one of the sexiest figures to grace the screen.

For a Better Time, View

Author: in1984 from United States
5 April 2013

The film title doesn't mislead us. Sex toys, phones, and ladies are involved. It's also a relationship film, but an impressive variation from the usual romantic comedy angle.

Like another film from this year, Giant Mechanical Man, a significant part of this story involves young adults finding themselves along with happiness after what they thought was a serious relationship was ended by the significant other. And so begins the adventure. It may be we have a new type of urban adventure involving main characters exploring the unchartered territories of themselves and those close to them.

Unlike GMM, this is not nearly as predictable. Just when you think you know where it's headed, it shifts directions and explores areas that rarely get explored in film.

It also does many of the artistic things that other films keep failing to do in terms of how and who the villains/enemies are and who those you can trust are.

Another relatively low-key, indie film from 2012 doing new stuff that doesn't involve 3D, computer FX, or horribly loud audio blasted at the audience.

Quirky independent comedy well worth the pennies you will spend to see it...

Author: rachelandfilms from United Kingdom
13 June 2013

Okay first things first, I know this movie will raise a few eyebrows amongst you, but I would urge you not to base this film off of its synopsis or concept. Don't get me wrong, this film is what you think, but it's also NOT. It all revolves around two former-college "frenemies" (I really hate that term, but whatever) who both need to find a roommate so they can stay in New York and live the "American Dream" which is when mutual friend Jesse (played by an hilariously camp Justin Long) forces them to move in together. The two women, strapped for cash, very quickly set up a phone-sex-line and realise a very lucrative, if not slightly filthy, business opportunity. The phone-sex-line however, is not the centre of this film, though it certainly plays a significant part. The heart of this film lies in the friendship that grows from this business, and this is where a lot of our laughs and "awh" moments come from. This film is borne from a post-Bridesmaids we-women-can-be-just-as- filthy-and-funny-as-men era and it takes that female empowerment to a whole new level with both ladies showing their modern-esque sexuality and embracing there situation. They don't lament their career and pity themselves for running such a service. In fact they revel in their power and it's quite an empowering, if not slightly wacky, message to bring to our screens. Aside from the I-am-woman-hear-me-roar quality to the film though comes the message of love that slowly grows between the characters, and this is where the film really grows on you. The chemistry between the two lead actors is very convincing and as I watched I couldn't help but think that they had a truly distinctive "Womance" (that's the female version of a bromance) that is rear to see in film or TV. In fact now I think about it there is no pop-culture media-frenzy womance that really comes to mind, which is irritating really. Maybe this awesome little film will pave the way for more womances in the future, I certainly hope so.

Fun, quirky, dirty little comedy that flails its way through but is entertaining

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
23 January 2013

Low budget unfortunately often means low entertainment because of lack of experience and lack of time taken to hone the film. It seems as though sometimes comedians and amateur film makers get over excited and cram out some silly movie. I believe that For A Good Time Call this is exactly what happened. Now that being said it isn't a bad movie. It was decently entertaining, raunchy without being disgusting and over the top, and cute. It felt like it dragged a little bit but definitely got the point across and even had some fun cameos. It was far from perfect and it didn't blow me away but for all that it was, it works really well. Actually much of the time I kept thinking what a great pilot/premise this would have been for a TV comedy and I think it would have really worked well but of course would have to be on a cable network for sure. The sexual innuendo is the never ending gag in the film but given the whole plot it works quite well and you certainly will chuckle. It's well made with an okay script that will adequately entertain you but not much beyond that.

Mrs. Seth Rogen aka Lauren Miller plays one half of the lead gals. She does a really good job as the sweet and innocent Lauren Powell who eventually comes around and becomes a sex call operator. She is believable and appropriately sweet in her role. The wild child of the duo is played by Ari Graynor who certainly fits the stereotypical easy gal role. Surprisingly the two of them do click which is vital for this film. Their chemistry isn't outstanding but it is solid considering how different their characters are (which is the point.) Both roles are a little cut and dry but right for this movie. Justin Long, god bless him, tries very hard in this rambunctious role as the gay best friend of both girls. He sort of overdoes it and thank goodness they didn't put him in it more than they did because he's fun but any more of him would have been simply too much. Still he has his moments and the role is mostly fun. James Wolk, Mimi Rogers and Don McManus are particularly good in small cameo roles. Speaking of cameos it was a lot of fun seeing Kevin Smith, Seth Rogen and Nia Vardalos in small but very funny roles. I hate Seth Rogen and this was the perfect amount to see him on screen.

This is really director Jamie Travis' first full length feature and he does pretty well with the script. The film's setting is mostly in the girl's apartment but you never feel stifled so he definitely makes the most of a low budget and a "just okay" script. The script was co-written by the aforementioned Mrs. Rogen (Lauren Miller) and there is some genuine comedic talent here. I think its just a little grandiose for a full length feature film. Something about the characters and story would have just worked better in small doses (like a half hour sitcom.) The cleverness to the film is the spoofing of typical romantic comedies, and the bizarre relationship between the two main girls. Most of the time you think the two of them are going to end up together but in reality the film is simply spoofing the close relationship of two best friends. All in all it wasn't so bad and it was fun. Was it amazing? No not even close. It had a lot of holes in it but for an indie comedy it was definitely worth a brief look. 7/10

Unfunny, unsuccessful comedy

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
16 May 2013

STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

Former bosom buddies turned long separated rivals Lauren (Lauren Miller) and Katie (Ari Graynor) find themselves thrown back together by chance, through GBF Jesse (Justin Long) and after sorting out their differences, Lauren learns Katie's making ends meat by being a phone sex operator. At first repulsed by this, she agrees to help only with the business side of things, but then unleashes the inner vixen inside her.

Good, clean wholesome comedy just doesn't do the rounds any more. Not that I want it to, but it says something that yet another edgy, sex based comedy has come out of nowhere, with what must have been a pretty limited theatrical release and an even more unnoticed DVD arrival. But of course, there's probably a more obvious reason for this.

Jamie Travis's film is just not funny, with a plot that's lost your interest about twenty minutes in and is just left to wallow in the mire, with little cohesion or comic timing. Current comedy favourites Kevin Smith and Seth Rogen make only the briefest cameos and, along with the film's minimal publicity campaign, this should be saying something.

For a Good Time, Don't Watch. *

Now this movie is a good time

Author: cnycitylady from Brooklyn
9 May 2013

For a good time, call... is a laugh out loud, witty and altogether true comedy about making money and life long friends. Though this may not seem like much on the outside the characters and story are well thought out and lively that it is almost impossible for you to not have a good time while watching this film.

The story, behind its raunchy and superbly unladylike jokes and jests, is one for the lovers of a good tale of friendship. The two characters find that because they are total opposites they fit together perfectly. Their friendship works because the two know the other's personality to a fault and even though they dislike or disagree with how each of them run their lives they pass no judgment because without the other they each would be left destitute. Without the veil of superiority hanging about either of their eyes they are able to be open to all that their roommate had to offer, and up springs a friendship that will stand the test of time, outrage and foolish cattiness.

This film is greatly underrated and I suggest that all women should watch it and take note. 8/10

A pretty funny comedy about two former enemies who start up a phone sex line. More then just a sex movie. I say B.

Author: Tony Heck from United States
22 January 2013

"Hello world for a good time call 1-900-mmm-hmmm." Lauren (Miller) & Katie (Graynor) are both at a rough patch. Lauren's boyfriend is moving to Europe and she lost her job, Katie can't make enough to stay in her apartment so their mutual friend decides it's time they move in together. When they meet they remember they hate each other and it becomes tense, until they find a way to make more money then they ever dreamed of. The preview to this movie made it look very funny to me and I was excited about watching this. The cameos were great and the movie was funny but it was a little more girlie then I was expecting. This is more then a movie about phone sex, its about friendship and being true to yourself. As cheesy as that sounds watch it and you will see what I mean. While there are some pretty racy things in this it's nothing over the top so don't expect a soft-core type movie. Overall, not as funny as I was expecting but still funny and worth seeing. I give it a B.