IMDb > Death Race: Inferno (2013) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

In Terms Of Being Fair

Author: pkrayden from USA
27 January 2013

If you didn't like the original mainstream Death Race or its sequel, don't bother watching this. Now if you liked what the b-movie sequel brought to the table then this movie may be worth watching only to see the loose ends get chained up, literally... while also being slightly hard to watch.

Carl "Frankenstein" Lucas(Luke Goss)is finally able to get out of prison if he wins "one last race" except since the Weyland company is bought out by a whole new boss, Lucas is now expected to perform in a slightly different race with a slim promise of freedom.

All the characters from the prequel are here and while its fun seeing them together there is a lot of cheesy moments where a lot of the tension from the last film is distastefully undone and the audience is left wondering "well what next?."

The main villain is a one dimensional prick. There is a lot of unnecessary use of the F-word in odd dialogue. I mean the dialogue is bad at times. The action is pretty much summed up as South African local ,slo-mo impacts, choppy cuts, some strangely incited explosions, and death... While I can nitpick the movie's logical flaws all day, you can't ignore the bad acting and behaviors of most of the disposable characters. It leaves the audience going "why would ____ do this?" many times over.

Dialogue, concept, and execution are poorly done. The only thing it does right is finally connect the previous films- if not through insane conditions. Its entertaining at least if you turn off your brain and watch the conclusion unfold.

Lacking only a little girl on girl action

Author: keith-w8888 from United Kingdom
21 January 2013

I feel sorry for actors like Ving Rhames and Danny Trejo because I think they deserve better than this, since this movie lacks any redeeming features at all, nothing. The shooting, direction and continuity are so bad I find it incredible that this has even been finished, produced and distributed. It has all the quality and finesse of a Jean Claude van Damm movie made in Rumania. It could have been OK, except that the action scenes were all so weak, so poorly hashed together, the continuity between scenes is laughable. Some of the characters, like Prudence contribute nothing material to the plot or the story and then they exit taking no further part, when they could have easily been written into it more effectively. It is so badly written that they had to retrospectively explain in laughable detail, because not enough care was taken in the first place to have it hang together. The writers and Roel Reine concentrate so hard on cheap and very nasty titillation that the have even left in an up skirt shot, which I presume was supplied courtesy of the wind and coincidence, because they couldn't have contrived it themselves and they shouldn't have bothered leaving it in. As far as cheap and very nasty titillation is concerned the only thing left out was a little girl on girl action and whereas with a Jean Claude van Dam or Steven Segal movie they are SO bad that they are almost good, this isn't. This is not bad enough to be good, that's how bad it is.

Painfully disappointing

Author: dingo865 from Toronto, Canada
19 January 2013

Let me start by stating that I loved DR1, and found DR2 a surprisingly (and unusually) well-made and entertaining sequel, even if (clearly) not of the same caliber as the first movie. As such, I admit I had fairly high expectations for this third film, although I was not hoping for anything more than just a plain, good ol'fashioned, B action fest.

What you get instead is a badly edited piece of manure that lacks coherence, but is rich in really poor and amateurish performances, stuffed with mostly mediocre (and occasionally outright pitiful!) f/x. I cannot understand how the same director (and largely same cast) responsible for DR2 could end up with this mess! Sure, most of the problems - 'snipped' action sequences, scenes sequenced so quickly and randomly that they resemble a meaningless collage of music videos, nonsensical dialogue that makes you think the actor/actress is responding to lines cut from the final product, words dropped/missing, incoherent scenes, confused camera work etc. - could be explained by a hatchet-job in editing. Still, no matter how bad the editor may have been at his/her job, it cannot possibly explain the amateurishly exaggerated performances from virtually all the actors/actresses involved, very much including Ving Rhames, Luke Goss, and Danny Trejo, all of whom have proved themselves before (to a greater or lesser extent) to be able to carry their lines and scenes rather well.

This movie obviously had a much smaller budget, and did not have the benefit of inheriting the original cars (and probably some sets) as DR2 did. It is all the more surprising, then, that the director did not even make full use of the f/x and explosions/kills that they did spend money on, oftentimes opting to cut away from them and not letting them play themselves out on the screen!(?) There are a few genuinely nice (sometimes even beautiful) shots (courtesy of the stunning desert location) a few somewhat interesting cars (though most are entirely too reminiscent of those in Fast Five) and Eugene Khumbanyiwa (the actor who played the Nigerian warlord in District 9) is as deliciously psychotic as ever - but they are the rarest of exceptions in this otherwise confused, utterly amateurish endeavour. I found myself beginning to yawn about halfway through, and could not help but feel that DR3 compares to DR2 much the same way as, say, the Nemesis sequels compared to the original Nemesis.

A worthy sequel

Author: Damage666 from United Kingdom
7 December 2013

Don't be put off by the IMDb score, or any negative reviews, this movie is a more than worthy successor to Death Race 2, and has earned its place in the franchise.

Lots of subtle humour, stylish action and surprisingly memorably characters, all combined with sufficiently varied and suitably over-the-top set pieces make this feel more like a cinema release than a direct-to-video offering.

Sure, the plot gets a bit silly at times, and there are clichés and stereotypes liberally scattered throughout, but I still found the new setting, the new (if often short-lived) characters and the tidy wrapping up of the story arc to be effective and entertaining.

Dougray Scott shines as the enthusiastic antagonist, relative unknown Jeremy Crutchley provides a great Russell Crowe-esque caricature, and even Luke Goss manages to steal some good moments.

All of the actors look like they're having lots of fun, and I too thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Dig it up and give it a go. Watch all three movies back to back for the full experience!

just horrible and painful to watch.

Author: wauters_simon from Belgium
20 January 2013

i saw death race 1 and 2 and liked them a lot. so i had my hopes up for death race 3... i have never been so disappointed in my life. the only audience this movie may speak to consists of violence junkies that do not care for plot.

Reasons to watch this movie: 1) hot chick 2) nothing else really

Reasons not to: 1) No storyline 2) Perverted 3) Bad actors 4) Extremely violent 5) some things Don't make sense 6) Bad Jokes 7) cheesy 8) predictable 9) cliché 10) overproduced

Overall i have never ever facepalmed so much while watching a movie. i do not recommend. it was a total waste of time. I am now filled with regret and frustration.

I see there are a lot of positive reviews so maybe you Will like it. but it is not meant for me.

Lots of action, little substance

Author: TdSmth5 from US
25 March 2013

In Death Race 3, the Wayland corporation suffers a hostile takeover by some very rich and evil guy, but because he's also very smart he's got a British accent. He wants to turn Death Race into an international series of races at a bunch of prisons all over the world.

Meanwhile Frankenstein is one victory away from gaining his freedom. But Niles (that's the new guy) changes the rules of the game. If Frankenstein wins, he dies. Niles moves Frankenstein and his crew to South Africa where the next multi-stage race will take place. The jail there is some sort of working mine as well.

During the first couple of stages Frankenstein indeed decides not to win, but for the final one he'll have something up his sleeve.

The races themselves are alright, we see lots of interesting scenery and the racers will have to deal with the locals as well as missiles that Niles shots at them whenever he feels like it. There are plenty of fights and lots of neat explosions, but dialogue is something the director can't and won't deal with. Not to mention that at the times the script is pretty painful to have to listen to.

This is one of those movies where at the end you get a recap of how the solution was accomplished. It's interesting but because you don't really care about any of the characters, including Frankenstein, it's almost like it doesn't matter. There is a story here, lots of action, lots of cleavage but only a split second of nudity, the director just doesn't manage to get us involved in any of it.

A worthy addition to the series. Once again not much plot but full of exciting races and violence. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
22 January 2013

"More cons, more cars, more guns. Sky's the limit." Once again Frankenstein (Goss) is one race win away from freedom. This time though the race has changed. Instead of being inside the prison another man has bought the rights and is taking it global. Fighting in his crew and other deals being made make this a harder race then usual. I have to admit that I do like these movies as cheesy as they are. I loved the first one and enjoyed the second one OK. I may have to re-watch that one though because I was a little confused to start this one. I thought some of the people that were in this died and the plot lines didn't seem to match up. Then the race started and I realized that it didn't really matter, the plots of these movies are just background to the racing and violence. To me that is OK. Much like the other two this is not an award winning movie and acting is iffy at best but it is still very entertaining and well worth checking out if you have seen the others. Overall, not as good as first but fun and exciting to watch still. I liked it. I give it a B+.

action thrill ride

Author: Bigdreamsjay from United States
4 February 2015

One hell of an exhilarating and explosive action-packed thrill-ride from start to finish. A high-octane action sequel to this hard-edged franchise that continues to bring on the heat. A turbo-charged roller-coaster ride. An adrenaline-charged and wickedly entertaining movie that's big, epic and truly unrelenting.

wonderful cinematography African desert looks stunning and breathtaking third time is more exiting and brutal,the look of the film is more like mainstream big budget but with its limited budget for direct to bluray and DVD release this is the high end film to look for this is truly pure entertainment 8/10

Not so good as expected BUT

Author: PauloOliveira1471 from Portugal
24 July 2013

Sorry for the long review, i want to say it all. Read if you want. It's my opinion, please respect it.

Just an aside, I'm not coming here to say that, this or that movie was horrible and some actors deserve better (like they were forced to do it). I respect your opinion but I think it's more important to concentrate in what worked / what we liked and what didn't work instead of 'criticizing it at gross'. It's what I think.

So the movie. Best part: Boobs and girls. Tanit Phoenix (Katrina) besides gorgeous, has an outstanding body; those boobs oh god ;). In every scene, I was like Lists, in the scene when she enters the car, staring to her boobs. All the girls that appeared in the movie are hot; the qualifying fight to death scene was very nice, because of the girls and the deaths too. But Tanit Phoenix amazed me in every scene.

Besides that, what I liked also in the movie: some kills were nice; the all concept of race, out of the prison, more endurance and hardness, like Goldberg said; Psycho was a nice surprise, a funny psycho killer; the scene where he grabs his co-pilot boobs is hilarious,; liked the role of Niles York (Dougray Scott), the maniac who wanted more money, death and control. Also liked the story around Frankenstein, the man behind the mask. The deal and the plan made by Carl Lucas and Weyland was cool.

What didn't worked for me: i would like to see more action in more scenes; Luke Goss is a nice actor but it wasn't at the level we expected for a character like Frankenstein; i really liked if Jason Statham were still in the role; characters like Prudence didn't added nothing to the film. Oh and the scene where Lucas escape from the missile (with the 14K help), how the missile exploded if it didn't hit his target? like the other guys, strange no? And 14K wasn't dead already from one the past movies?

Some errors I detected: clothes changing in sequential scenes (I think they are, make sense). When they arrive to the prison, before going to the cells they have that fight scene in the tunnel. Katrina top changes from red to a larger black top. An 'error' that I think was forced. When stage 1 is about to start, the announcer says that the 11 drivers are ready at the starting line; 11? the girls weren't fighting for 10 positions ? Only 10 started the race yes, because one tried to escape and got killed before the race even start, but it was a detail it should had been corrected, I think.

Overall, it isn't a perfect movie and not so good as expected, but I think it wasn't so bad as some people say. It had a story, action (not so much as expected) , girls - hot girls, boobs, a twist in the story; the ending makes me think what it could be made next with Frankenstein, if a fourth film were made.

I enjoyed to watch it. It's my opinion, please respect it. Thanks !!

I wold rather be in it than watch it again

Author: thekarmicnomad from United Kingdom
25 May 2013

I have a lot of love for 'Death Race 2000' and (surprisingly) quite a lot of love for the two remakes.

'Death Race 3' is where Death Race love goes to die... then is stamped on, run over, before its battered body is dragged through the desert behind a gun-laden car, except the guns are obviously lengths of painted drain pipe, and one has snapped but the production crew have run out of duck tape so it swings flaccidly while Love for Death Race turns to ash and blows away in the wind..

Death Race 3 is an endurance race through the desert, the 'film' Death Race 3 is a survival test through stroke inducing bad dialogue, acting that is so horrible a new word is needed to describe its severity, wonky cameras, rubbish fight scenes and a make-up department so inept they even managed to make Taint Phoenix look rough.

Everything about this movie is bad. It has a production level way below the likes of 'Mega Shark vs Giant Octpus'. The direction is the clumsiest I have ever seen (this is coming from the man who gave 'Zombie Women of Satan' a 7!)

Scene: Where could we be? Well there's a red bus in the back ground, some church bells and a good old Bobbie pounding the beat. Are we in London by any chance?

Scene: What's that Mr York? You don't appreciate your secretary? Well how could you possibly communicate your feelings to the audience, short of punching her in the stomach. Oh, like that.

Don't be sold by the high calibre of the cast. I get the feeling the actors had real guns trained on them or they awoke one day unable to account for the last two months of their lives, their sun tans and the massive amount of rohypnol in their systems. Possible both.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]