IMDb > Tio Papi (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Tio Papi More at IMDbPro »

Original, no; but nice enough

Author: pensman from United States
21 August 2015

Probably the best thing about this film is that is was shot on location in New York City which lends the film a sort of credibility. Tio Papi does have a feel that the director was a recent film school graduate and this film was a sort of thesis project. The story is very basic: two youngish Puerto Rican parents are struggling financial, they go out for a needed night off, die in a car crash, and the sister's nice but 40 ish Peter Pan brother suddenly finds he is responsible, at least temporarily, for his six nieces and nephews. There is a smidgen of Mr. Mom, Miracle on 34th Street, and maybe a nod to Atlantic City in this film.

Will the brother, Ray Ray (Joey Dedio) man up and accept the responsibility so suddenly thrust upon him? Will he reconcile with his ex girl-friend, Cheeky (Elizabeth Rodriquez) who dumped him as she wanted a family and he didn't? Will Ray Ray decide his real dream is family? Will Ray Ray return the $100,000 he finds in a suitcase in a restroom? What? Where did that come from. Well there is a tad of retro skewed deus ex machina here.

Overall this is a pleasant family values film about the triumph of Love. Somehow it missed including Zuzu's petals but has every other charming cliché in it. A nice enough way to spend about an hour and a half.

Only shock for me (showing my age) was the appearance of Kelly McGillis as a by the book social worker. And Kelly who you ask. She was Maverick's (Tom Cruise) love interest in Top Gun. But Cruise seems to own "The Picture of Dorian Gray," whereas Ms. McGillis seems to bear out a truth in "Mirror" by Sylvia Plath.

tio Papi

Author: Sean Payne from United States
10 August 2015

Tio papi it's an incredible film I give it 10 out of 10 stars it is a great family film appropriate for children of all ages it teaches family values togetherness compassion loyalty it also teaches that family is the most important thing in the world when the chips are down your family is where you go so it was a little known cast the acting was absolutely first rate this film teaches that anything is possible where there is a will there is a way. if you put your mind to it you can come out of adversity that more than anything is what I think this film teaches I would give the producers directors and absolute thumbs up great job there is nothing inappropriate in this film it is appropriate for children of all ages young and old I would call this film a hidden gem