IMDb > Storage 24 (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Storage 24

Storage 24 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

And I thought Skyline was bad....

Author: mctiernan34 from Ireland
30 June 2012

Based upon the trailer I saw I had reasonable expectations of this movie, not the dizzying heights of Aliens or Alien, but perhaps an entertaining little movie/homage. I was wrong. We were treated to a poorly written script with poor Direction and confusing shallow depth of field close ups for the entirety of the running time.

An opportunity was squandered by the writers and director to create an intense experience in a claustrophobic setting with a vicious Alien creature that is hell bent on killing every member. Sounds interesting. Sign me up to watch that movie. But sadly we are not treated to this instead we focus on a group of whiney thirty somethings who look bemused and uninterested, perhaps due to the shoddily written dialogue, who casually saunter through the film with the occasional lapse into hysteria when the "Alien" attacks. Otherwise they argue about a break up scenario involving Noel Clarkes character and Antonia Cambell- hughes, who incidentally somehow channels the Audiences reaction to the film with her disinterested performance to the material. In truth if I'd have dated Noel Clarkes whiney character too, He'd have been dumped and cheated on as well.

Now to get on to the Alien in question... a hybrid creation which resembles a poor version of the cockroach creatures from District 9. In that movie they looked menacing and creepy, in this it just looks silly. Every attack is shown in an extreme close up... by the end I was begging for the director to please give us a medium shot so at least I could get some indication of surroundings/bearings/anything! The worst travesty has to be the final showdown with the Alien involving a usually fairly talented and reliable Irish actor named Ned Dennehy. He usually gives quirky characterizations and in this to a certain degree he does as well with one key difference: it just isn't believable. You may say its not supposed to be, that he's there for comic relief. Fine, perhaps. But then again it isn't particularly funny either, just another blip on an already blemished film. He courageously sacrifices himself so that the three others can escape the Alien creature near the end of the movie. That would be fine if we cared or indeed we were shown that he cared for any of the characters he sacrificing himself for. Only twenty minutes previous he attacks them and now they are life long buddies sacrificing life and limp for... hmmm anyone else think thats poor writing? I expected a bit more from this movie than it delivered. It sorely lacked direction and a properly cohesive script that had proper set pieces and interesting characterizations instead it fails even as a B movie instead slipping into a category of its own somewhere close to C. I'm surprised Universal studios is releasing this to cinemas its home clearly belongs on DVD.

Generic sci-fi horror - OK, but not exceptional

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
6 July 2012

A plane crashes, and something crashes through into a building full of locked storage units. The small number of people trapped inside by the resultant power outage have to survive against the depredations of whatever it was that was inside whatever it was that crashed.

One-man British film industry Noel Clarke comes up with the idea, produces and stars in a low budget horror suspense offering which ends up looking as if it cost more than it actually did. It is familiar stuff, of course - monster on the loose in extensive but claustrophobic surroundings, so who is still going to be alive at the end? And, like all such movies, it doesn't bear close examination.

It's OK. It's not brilliant - far from it - and it's not especially horrifying. Gory, yes, horrifying - no. But it keeps the interest up and is professionally staged, with a decent monster. Clarke, as always, gives a decent performance, and everyone else does OK.

I did not feel cheated of time when it ended.

Old Fashioned Fun and Suspenseful Monster Movie...

Author: lathe-of-heaven from Sunny Southern California, USA
5 February 2013

C'mon, what are you REALLY expecting here people...?

This is clearly a very low budget Retro Horror film that for what they had to work with and the simple setting, I truly felt that they did a great job with it! The director had a few really nice sequences that hearken back to snippets from 'TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE' & 'THE BIRDS' with nice edits of close-ups of eyes and such, building a lot of tension. Cinematography and especially the monster effects were done really well.

Others here are saying things like 'not well executed' or 'bland, poor characters', but I do not feel that that is true at all. Sure, none of these guys are gonna win any awards (well, except the two women, who are likely gonna tie for 1st place for the GAWDawful BUTT Ugly mouth Oscar) Seriously though, no big deal, but considering the PAINFULLY bloody Horrible (in the wrong way) acting we usually see in low budget Horror movies like this one with TRULY awful, clichéd characters who we cannot wait to see die, these guys did just fine.

The story is really only limited by the simplicity of the narrow setup, but I really feel that the director still got a HELL of a lot out of it.

So, if you like simple but effective Monster Horror, sure, you will enjoy this one just fine. Not to give anything away, but I was just holding my breath at the end, knowing bloody well that the British just simply do not believe in good endings, and let's just say that they came up with a 'good' one...

Do not bother with this film

Author: rebecca-bool from United Kingdom
30 June 2012

We went to see the film with reasonable expectations and we were let down BADLY! The idea had promise but the delivery was terrible. No one in the film could act - apart from the mad guy who lived in the storage unit.

One of the actresses who played Shelly, showed no emotion what so ever even when she was literally face-to-face with the monster. Her face was constantly in the same pose - that of an ape with chronic Bell's Palsy! The storyline was weak and the scenery unchanging and consisted of two corridors throughout the film.

It did have a couple of moments that made you jump, but that was it. It did though have an interesting twist in the very- and I do mean very - last 8 seconds of the film.

If you really want to see this then rent it on DVD; don't bother seeing it at the cinema, save your cash.

Noel Clark - you can do better!

Open Storage 24 at your own peril.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
3 November 2012

The DVD case that is.

OK, expecting a masterpiece of claustrophobic stalk and slash horror with this one is as daft as some of the dialogue is in the actual film. It is after all a low budget, low grade British clone of many many other films of similar formulaic ilk. But that said, you have to have some standards and a point when you stand up and say it's just not good enough to blame costs and accept poorness because of a willingness to be indie cool.

Storage 24 is a bad film, yes there is a good portion of gore for those inclined, the creature design is decent and the inner conflict in the group (boy/girl romantic triangle trouble wouldn't you know) at least keeps character interest from sinking to the depths of us not caring right away. But the screenplay meanders all too often, boorish chatter and emoting only serving to make you prey the creature turns up post haste. Jolts are telegraphed, as are the switching sympathies with the lead protagonists. Acting is poor, except maybe Ned Dennehy, who is playing a bonkers hermit smelly bloke and enjoys himself, and Noel Clarke as the hero in waiting dude scurrying around trying to save the day.

Clarke also produces, while Johannes Roberts directs, Clarke (Adulthood/Kidulthood) is much better than this, as is Roberts (F), but the pair are just saying we have watched Super 8 and Alien and feel like turning one out ourselves. That says there is no pretensions here, but it is also lazy film making. The explosive finale comes laced with tongue firmly in cheek, but nothing previously warrants this being tagged as a hip and funny horror/comedy, tried it has, but Severance it isn't. It's the inconsistencies that coupled with the standard formula make Storage 24 a weak film that's difficult to recommend to anyone but the type of horror fan that keeps watching all those Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday 13th sequels...and loving them. 4/10

Noisy Inept Characters,Charmless sub par SCI FI Film

Author: csmottram from United Kingdom
4 November 2012

Watch "Aliens" if you want an Alien film, or "Feast"/"Slither" if you like gory mutilation monster horror.

I normally like Clarke as an actor but this was a tough film to finish. Even low budget films can be filmed to make them look like they have higher production values. These characters stand around when people die, they stand around and chat, they stand around and die. No urgency. The two males leads squabble as an ET stalks them, even some of the music has homages to James Horners Aliens score. There are also vents for the hero's to crawl through.

The alien is a guy on stilts, but most of the time the alien is in extreme close up. It has a mandible mouth like the predator. It was just bad. Even "Attack of the Block" was more enjoyable, at least that knew it was silly and played on the dark humour.

Pretty boring film, and Clarke should have known better.. Get the story right, get the characters right, add tension and horror. The ending reminded me of the Alien film "Altered", which by the way is much better.

Avoid film or catch it on the SCI-FI Channel

Slight case of deja vu...

Author: Rich Wright
5 May 2013

Lots of people get trapped in a building, with an alien beast on the loose. One of them has just broken up with his girlfriend. She's also stuck in there, along with the guy's best friend, who she was having an affair with. TENSION!! There's also an eccentric gentleman in an ugly dressing gown who might as well be followed by a huge neon sign which says COMEDY RELIEF, A gruff engineer trying to fix the strange power cuts which have been going on and off all day (guess what happens to him) and some others who can charitably be described as 'cannon fodder'.

Basically, this is a creature feature, the sort they've made for donkeys years... albeit a British one. The chases down narrow tunnels, the sight of disembodied limbs and torsos scattered about, even the fiend itself... are 'borrowed' from a million other movies... most specifically, a certain series starring Sigourney Weaver. This doesn't make it a bad film per se, but it's not one to fire up the imagination in any way (HEY THAT RHYMES!!). It provides a few cheap thrills, but you probably won't recall it a week from now. Or indeed, the next time you go to the bathroom. 5/10

Very poor indeed.

Author: Richard Trezise from London, England
26 April 2013

If you saw Attack the block and thought it had a certain charm (ignoring the subplot about muggers just being victims of society) then you might have gone for this thinking it'd be OK. Sadly, it's not. Wooden acting. Ludicrous plot. Every cliché you can think of. In addition, Nolan Clarke? How DOES he keep getting roles in anything? As for the ending... What? This kind of monster in the locked building/haunted house has been done better by pretty much any version you can name. We are not talking comparisons with Alien. This comes off looking bad compared to the average Goosebumps episode. Killer revealed too soon. Stereotypical characters. The victims may as well be wearing a neon sign round their neck saying they will not make the finale. In short, save 90 minutes of your life for something better. Like listening to nails scraping on a board...

Oh dear!

Author: Pigmy Steak from United Kingdom
4 July 2012

This is without doubt the worst movie I have ever had to endure.

If you like a movie with a totally implausible plot, no tension because the same situation and same dialogue is just moved a few yards many times over, and no twist whatsoever, that leaves you with the feeling that you've just wasted a couple of hours of your life and a few quid as well, then this is for you. Otherwise stay at home sniffing vinegar. It's something different and a whole lot more entertaining.

I think the general view of the disappointed cinema goers was along the lines of "If Carlsberg did movies, this is Barbican Alcohol free lager from the eighties."

Try "Borage 24"...

Author: tmccull52 from United States
4 January 2013

Truth be told, I don't mind much the cheesy, sometimes implausible horror/sci-fi flicks if they somehow manage to be amusing despite their flaws.

This one didn't. Take the escaped ALF (Alien Life Form) from military custody ploy, a la Super 8, toss in a Saw-esque maze of a storage facility, add the usual trapped victims, the hero, the coward, etc., and add a creature that looks like a cross between the xenomorphs from the Alien movies, and the insectoid aliens from District 9, and there you have it. I realize that there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room left in this genre, as pretty much every scenario that one might come up with has been used a few dozen times over, albeit in different ways, but Storage 24 doesn't even try to add any new elements or takes on any of those themes or plot devices. The back-stabbing best friend also turns out to be a craven, self-centered coward. Wow, there's a stretch.

At this point, I do have to pose a query: why do film-makers insist on arming the protagonists in most of these movies with ultra-high tech ballistic weapons, when the greatest monster fighting device of all time seems to be the good ol' CO2 fire extinguisher. From the original horror classic "The Blob" on, there has to be a gazillion movies where the evil-doing creature is thwarted by a fire extinguisher. All of you gun control advocates take heed; the true danger comes from fire extinguishers, not firearms, apparently.

We are also treated to such delights as seeing the ALF in this movie temporarily taken aback and held at bay by a six-inch high mechanized toy poodle. Mind you, this is the same creature that punches it's way through metal reinforced, solid wood doors, and tears through ductwork metal like tinfoil. And then we get the classic dead-guy-who-isn't-quite-dead-yet when the main protagonist of this movie discovers the body of the engineer/tech whom we're lead to believe dies near the beginning of the movie. When he's discovered, he's about two-thirds devoured, but he's still somehow miraculously clinging to life, at least long enough to give the surviving characters (and supposedly us, the viewers) a start.

Oh, going back to the mechanical toy poodle ploy... the ALF kills a fully grown German shepherd near the beginning of the movie, but it is subsequently put off by the aforementioned child's toy representation of a french poodle.

Then there is the completely inane death of David, the curmudgeon who lives upstairs from the storage facility, and hates his ex-wife, Mary. He sacrifices himself so that some of the others might escape. How does he do this? With a fire extinguisher? A crowbar? No. He berates it and tells it how much it reminds him of his ex-wife, and then the ALF stomps his head into goo on the storage facility floor. Way to go, Dave! I recently saw "Bigfoot: The Lost Coast Tapes", and thought that stunk up the screen. Sadly, I expected more from "Storage 24". Unfortunately, I didn't get it.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]