IMDb > Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Turning against ...

Author: kosmasp
6 June 2014

I know this is a children's movie and it doesn't have to make much sense (especially if you take the premise itself), but there is too much going on here that I couldn't completely ignore. I'm guessing you have watched the first movie (which was much better), because this continues that story and evolves.

The first movie did not really go into length when it came to ramifications when discussing or doing the turning rain into food. But this goes even further. Going down a road that kids might not be able to see as a problem, but adults probably will. Having said that and seeing as I still gave it a 6/10, this works as a children's movie, because it does have a wild imagination ...

Excellent Movie.

Author: korezcreationz
2 May 2014

I as a part of the audience should say a few words about this movie line. I love all animated movies; Pixar, Disney etc. These movies are to entertain the mind, not invoke deep philosophical contemplation. The fellow reviewers that gave this movie a 0 or 1 are not Authors, they are not reviewers and they only review to be biased. Looking at you gkarlos- gomes. Don't listen to these imbeciles. If you liked the first one you'll love the second. The movie does what it's supposed to do and that is entertain.

The movie has it's down times but all together it has suspense, love, action, adventure, comedy all put together. The names and the funny references are not supposed to be broad, they are easy to spot and are there to get a chuckle.

All and all, 8/10

As colourful and inventive as the first but not quite as good story and pacing-wise

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
23 April 2014

After having already enjoyed the original 'Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs' and heard of this sequel through its trailer (which was misleading because it made this film look promising but it was anything but), I wanted to see this one as well to see how it compared to the original. I've just finished watching this on Amazon Prime Instant Video and while its visuals, animation and vibrancy were on par with those elements from the first, I was somewhat disappointed with the pacing and the story.

While the animation was as good as that in the first with the usual cartoonish character designs, it was still a bit jerky and jarring in places, particularly on Earl. The visuals are as colourful and imaginative as those in the original, especially the cleverly-named food monsters/animals (Tacodiles, Shrimpanzees and Flamangos to name but a few) that Flint's machine from the first film churned out due to having unknowingly survived. While the Columbia opening logo was similar to that in the first film what with a banana knocking the lady off her spot, I liked the slight change of the banana making some sort of dolphin chirp sound and galloping off with Barry on top. Two elements that were not quite on par with those from the first were the pacing and the story. The pacing up until the main characters arrive is slow and plagued with unnecessary filler, particularly the recycled animation from the first film and the story was harder to understand than that from the original. I also found it a little similar to that in 'Up' due to Chester V's revelation of using Flint towards the end of the film being similar to Charles Muntz becoming an enemy to Carl in 'Up.' Nevertheless the dialogue was as clever and witty as that in the original, especially the food puns ("Cut the cheese," "There's a leek in the boat," "Easy as - " "Pie!" etc) whether they were intentional or used to finish certain characters' sentences and I laughed at just about every one of Brent's "Uh ohs!" Further to the characters, Filnt, Sam, Brent, Steve, Tim (Flint's father) and Earl were as worthy as they were in the original and while I was let down by Earl's son having less screen time, Chester V, Barb and Barry the strawberry were welcoming new additions. Although Chester V has similar characteristics to Charles Muntz from 'Up,' Barb is sharp and sassy and Barry is cute (it is funny when he eats the USB and later poops it out along with a pile of jam in fear). Bill Hader, Anna Farris, Will Forte, Neil Patrick Harris, James Caan and Andy Samberg all did as solid a job as in the original voicing Flint, Sam, Chester V, Steve, Tim and Brent respectively although I was disappointed that Terry Crews replaced Mr T as the voice of Earl but Crews did his best to recreate the voice Mr T provided. Other than that, Kristen Schaal (the fourth actress, voice or otherwise, called Kristen I've heard of, the other three being Kristen Stewart who played Bella Swan in the 'Twilight' franchise, which I'm not as big a fan of as animation; Kristen Bell who voiced Anna in 'Frozen;' and Kristen Wiig who voiced Lucy in 'Despicable Me 2') was just as sharp and sassy as Barb. With regard to the soundtrack, it isn't quite the most memorable element of the film but I liked the use of 'Yummy, Yummy, Yummy' that was just as fitting here as 'Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows' was in the original as well as 'La Da Dee' by Cody Simpson, the song being played over the 2D/stop-motion-animated portion of the closing credits and Paul McCartney's 'New.' I also liked the beautiful and powerful incidental music being played during the flythrough or zooming out of the 'foodimals' land. The brief post-credits scene of Barb asking Steve out for a coffee and Steve suggesting dinner instead was a pleasant surprise.

Overall, this wasn't quite as entertaining as the original but the vibrant, inventive visuals, the soundtrack, the return of most of the original voice cast, the new characters and the food puns made this film altogether more tolerable. 7.5/10.

A Very Kid-friendly Affair!

Author: sohansurag from India
19 April 2014

I consider Nick-inspired animated movies as merely watchable but I have to admit, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs did make me laugh and I couldn't possibly give its sequel a miss. I was minutes into the movie and I was sporting the usual 'meh' face and then I watched as Earl Devereaux witnessed something wonderful break into (a) tear and yell "Its enough to make a grown man cry… But not this man. Get back in there TEAR!" and he pulled the tear back into his eye, THAT one scene sold me.

Welcome back to the hyper active animated Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 and following a short 'Previously' things are set it motion just after the first movie. Flint, having saved Swallow Falls from his own 'invention gone wrong', the FLDSMDFR, gets relocated to San Franjose by super inventor and Flint's idol Chester V who is tasked to clean Swallow Fans. But Chester ain't what he seems and has got some nefarious plans in the works.

Every scene in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is littered with hilarious stuff both animated and not. The comedy is written and executed well and the same goes for the visual gags that happens from start till end. The style from the first movie has been consistently maintained and if you liked the first one you are bound to like this one as well. The animation is fast and and it makes me wonder if it Nick behind it all.

As for the cast, almost everyone had me in splits. Be it Terry Crews' athletic cop Earl Devereaux or Andy Samberg's Brent McHale. Neil Patrick Harris' Steve the monkey, despite its limited lines, was just uproarious. Bill Hader and Anna Faris reprises their roles as Flint Lockwood and Samantha Sparks and does enough justice to promise you a few chuckles. The Will Forte voiced Chester made me think they took a jig at Steve Jobs.

Yes its first and foremost a kids movie and I only judged it so but in the end, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 was zany, juvenile (in a good way of course), and all out odd ball but it makes for a modestly entertaining flick for adults and could be blindly suggested for kids… its so colorful I could go wee…and that makes it a brilliant watch if u are high too.

Visual Cortex Overload ... I kinda like it

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 April 2014

It's 8 minutes after the first movie where Flint Lockwood and the gang saved the world. His scientific idol Chester V offers him a job at his Live Corp. His invention FLDSMDFR turns water into food, and has made their island home filled with 'foodimals'. Chester V offers to clean up the island while the inhabitants relocate. At Live Corp, Flint works tirelessly to be a Thinkquanaut. After a disastrous embarrassing party-in-a-box incident, Chester V enlist Flint to go back to the island. The FLDSMDFR is still operating, and monster foodimals are on the roam. Flint has to go back to shut down his invention before the foodimals learn to swim and destroy the world. However Chester V has some sinister plan unknown to Flint.

This movie is even more crazy and wilder than the original. It is visual cortex overload. Every part of the screen has something inventive going on. I kinda like it, but I understand if it overwhelms most people. That kind of over-stimulation can tire the audience out especially on the big screen. It is a children movie with ADD.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: The Reign of Foodimals

Author: viceroy_88
3 April 2014

Who doesn't agree with me when I say this is not as good as the prequel?

I think they were not being creative in giving the title. Adding the number 2 in the end, when we don't even see any meatballs in this movie anymore. Okay, the story departs exactly from where Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs left off, but they could have come out with a better title, like "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: The Reign of Foodimals".

The story is shallow, but the animation is still good, cute, and creative. Voice acting is still good, with a lot of good puns. However, the jokes are not as funny.

It's an okay movie in conclusion, Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures still cannot beat Pixar or Disney.

An awesome trip into a world of imagination and creativity!

Author: alwayssmiilinu from Austria
31 March 2014

I cannot believe this film only has 6.5 rating on here! This (as with the first one) are two of my son and my favorite movies! There is so much incredible creativity that went into making these movies. Something completely different than your normal kids films! As well, it is something adults can appreciate and find innuendos, sarcastic jokes etc, and they are clean, so it is really something for the whole family! Both Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1 & 2, are so well made, that you almost feel like it could really be happening! The characters are well developed, and their personalities mesh so perfectly together. They are smart, sarcastic, funny, and full of emotion. The music flows wonderfully throughout the movie, and the end credits/song, are a must see in themselves. Very cute and funny! :) Both films are very colorful and if you are able to watch and take them for what they are meant to be, which is a creative, fun new adventure for kids to enjoy, then you too, might be able to relax and enjoy them yourself, and find the humor and creativity involved in coming up with such a fascinating storyline! :) Anything goes! :D

Second is still as fun

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
24 March 2014

"Another film by ..... a lot of people" - the title sequence is both a tribute to the many people involved and also a precursor to the humor in the movie, mostly involving lots of pun-ny remarks. 'Food fight' certainly gets a new meaning!

A big part of the film feels like a homage to the original Jurassic Park movie - when the team first see the creatures (which look a lot like cartoon dinosaurs dressed as food), when they are being chased by them, when the giant taco makes its appearance. Even the music is similar. But it's not cheesily done.

The story is also a heartwarming one. While the created food was the problem in the first movie, here they are the heroes. It still has its heartwarming moments when Flint discovers his real enemies and his real friends (and love?). And the music certainly adds a lot more to the fun this time.

This is definitely one of the better movies of the year . Recommended for families or to watch with friends and loved ones.

Fantastic

Author: Kurt canada from Canada
9 March 2014

The first movie was original, funny, nice visual colors, etc. So a follow up would be a tall task. Well the writers and cast did pulled it off. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2 is even better than the first. Perfect follow up. More complex story line, the colors are vibrant and out of this world as well. Oh ya, the sound track is graced with Paul McCartney. He composed and wrote the song, not bad at all. Every food pun imaginable was used as well. This is a completely different vibe from the Pixar and Dream works animation. Hopefully Sony Animation can pump out more high quality movies like this to add to their repertoire. Highly recommended for the whole family

One for all the family! 5/10

Author: leonblackwood from United Kingdom
8 March 2014

Review: In a funny type of way, I actually enjoyed this movie. I thought that the whole food being demons concept was cleverly put together and I really like the black cop who made me laugh throughout the movie. The storyline had a lot of thought behind it, which kept the movie interesting and a joy to watch. The animation looked excellent and the vibrant colours looked great in HD. The only downside about the movie is that it did seem to drag after a while and it does get a bit silly and corny but it is a kids film and I'm sure that they will enjoy it. It's fun for the whole family but it might be a bit hard to follow for the really little ones. Watchable!

Round-Up: It's a bit hard to comment on actors performances when your reviewing a animation movie, but I will say that the mixture of characters was well put together. The tiny Strawberry was a great addition to the film and the gherkins cracked me up. I thought that this movie was much better than the first in this franchise but it would have been good to see the policeman in more of the scenes. Basically, if you want to keep the kids quite for an hour and a half, then you should put on this movie and judging by the money that it made, I'm sure that you will be seeing a 3rd one soon.

Budget: $78million Worldwide Gross: $120million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there funny animation movies about a town getting taken over by killer food. 5/10

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]