IMDb > Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Geeky Randy's summary

Author: Geeky Randy from United States
12 July 2014

After a brief recap of its 2009 predecessor, this fun little sequel picks up right where the first film left off. Citizens of Swallow Falls have been relocated while the island is being cleaned, with Flint Lockwood (Bill Hader) being given a position at his hero Chester V's (Will Forte) corporation, only to return to Swallow Falls to find the leftover food has come to life! This installment introduces some fun creatures… or… "foodimals"; particularly, Barry and his strawberry companions (and one blueberry companion), who you'll find adorable. May not be as good as the first (what else is new?), but there's no doubt that a third film is more than welcome! Mr. T's voice is replaced by Terry Crews.

*** (out of four)

Unnecessary, but full of ADORABLE little food critters.

Author: CinemaCocoa from United Kingdom
12 July 2014

I really enjoyed the first Cloudy movie, and was sad that I never got around to seeing this sequel in the cinema. Now I can say that while it doesn't quite live up to the quirky original, it is full of some of the most silly, most adorable food animals!

Following on directly from the events of the first film we see inventor Flint Lockwood trying desperately to join a science corporation ran by a childhood idol of his, the same corporation that has stepped in to prevent consequences of Flint's "water-into-food" device. Namely, an island inhabited by living food!

The trailer had sold this film to me (and the marketing too) by simply showing us all the crazy animals they had designed for the animation! This is easily, easily the films best quality and quite possibly the only reason it exists at all. Watermelophants? Hippopotatoes? Shrimpanzees? And quite possibly the most adorable marshmallows I have ever seen, I want one. Or several.

This design work is very straightforward but it is so enjoyable to watch, much like with the first film, and the animation work is rubbery and loony. Our characters move and behave more like squeezy toys than attempting to look "real". I think this is a benefit to the film since we have so many animated films attempting to be realistic or slick and stylish; this is just off the rails, like an old Saturday morning cartoon.

So style and design are top notch, but where the film flounders a bit is the story it attempts to provide. The first film was simple: a disaster movie with gigantic portions of food. Cloudy 2 attempts to be more like a dinosaur movie, The Lost World style, with some moral implications and betrayal. Unless you are two years old I doubt any of the "surprises" will provide such excitement. The villain isn't particularly good or inspiring, the plot just moves along with all the classic cliché that we come to expect. Another thing I need to add would be, despite the animation on the characters being fun and lively, the backgrounds were seemingly dead, often flat and devoid of eye catching details. I cannot remember if the first film had this too and this is merely a style choice, but asides some of the final scenes, the backgrounds didn't get much love? The humour is great but mostly in an eye rolling "oh god did they actually go there?" manner; the puns are set to overdrive in this film, in fact I think half of the first act's script is entirely puns-for-puns' sake!

If it weren't for the goofy and wonderful critters, I would rather watch the first film again. But this isn't bad either! If you enjoyed the first film, like I did, you'll enjoy this too. Just watch it for the cute animals.

Even better than the first movie!

Author: daniel-2345 from Hong Kong, China
6 July 2014

For this movie, the team really did put efforts into the humor.

The animation graphics are just as great and even the ending credits contains several laughing points. There were several new characters in this movie and all of them have demonstrated totally different personalities.

Of course, a good movie always contains great plotted central mysterious problems, however, this one was quite easy to find out who is evil or good at the starting point, but I think the plot was easy enough for small kids to understand.

But let me tell you, if you think the plot isn't good, the laughter was the hero to safe this movie.

I think it will do great for a family movie for grown-ups and kids. I was thrilled to watch the entire movie. The sound effects was great too.

A simple, predictable, easy to watch film that is fully aware of its simplicity

Author: rickystickyman from Pan-dimensional
4 July 2014

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was clever in the fact that it knew right off the bat that it wasn't trying to be serious. From the first second it explains where they live and spray-on shoes, you know the film's mood immediately. The same kind of goes with Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2. The only problem with this film is that... it cares less about itself.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 has a vivid and colorful animation that surpasses the first film with its intelligent use of colors. There are a lot of "Dang, those colors blend well together" and many beautiful shots. One of my favorite characters to watch is Chester V due to the brilliance in his movement. There is not one thing about his movement that is animated normally or traditionally. His legs are noodles when they bend, his wrists and arms bend at strange 90 degree angles, and his facial expressions are great. Quite obviously within the first 3 minutes, he is the villain.

The plot is where the movie doesn't necessarily fall apart, but where the caring stops. With the first movie, you weren't quite sure how it was going to play out. Because it wasn't following the book precisely, it was slightly hard to tell what twists might be coming up. However, this movie follows every cliché'. The "childhood hero" turns out to be the bad guy, the main character ditches his friends, main character is fooled to follow the bad guy, the truth about the animals is learned, and many other such things. The problem with this movie is that you can't say it has a lame plot due to being attached to source material. The plot is simply lame. The movie is well aware of that, but if the plot isn't the main focus then what is?

Food puns. Yep, that's it. The focus of this movie is all in food puns. Literally, 90% of this movie's humor arrive through food puns. Other than the puns, you can tell the other focus of the movie is to get creative with food animal concepts. However, other than the Tacodile Supreme, most of the food-animal designs were... boring. Most of the designs were just food with eyes slapped onto it which makes out for a lot of boring creations. To make things worse, most of the animals are incredibly obnoxious. Which is the last issue I had with this movie:

Pacing. The movie doesn't know how to slow-down or jump into action. Maybe the movie is intentionally doing this, but it is annoying. One of the scenes that is meant to be more quiet and relaxed is obnoxiously busy and annoying due to tons of hand-waving, fast movements, and food noises. This happens throughout the movie multiple times where quiet scenes are loud (which ruin the mood of the character's emotions) while action scenes are... not as action-packed as they should be.

One last note: The movie does that lame "the animals are nice" thing and we shouldn't eat them... however... they are literally food. Why not eat them? The new animals will pollute a world eco-system and are entirely edible. Eat as many as you can.

Overall, the movie is enjoyable for the wonderful coloring, animation, lighting, and a couple of good puns. As far as the plot and pacing go: it is utterly boring. This is a "yawn" kind of movie that you will sit through and enjoy bits and pieces, but you won't find anything truly new in.

Survives on Puns and cuteness

Author: zizumia from United States
7 June 2014

This film was "okay".. I say this, because I personally expected it to be a terrible film. Mostly for the fact that it seemed like Cloudy With the Chance of Meatballs wasn't a sequelable movie to me. Usually when movie companies create a sequel to a good film, they end up ruining it.

Cloudy With the Chance of Meatballs 2 was alright. The story wasn't amazing at all, but I think it would be enough to please a child. There are a TON of puns in this movie. It can get annoying, although some of the puns are clever. This movie also has a lot of "cute" moments. I think without this factor, the movie wouldn't grab much attention at all. The cute moments are definitely cute, but all the cute characters do is be cute, that's really it.

The movie was good, better than I expected, but not the best at all.

Turning against ...

Author: kosmasp
6 June 2014

I know this is a children's movie and it doesn't have to make much sense (especially if you take the premise itself), but there is too much going on here that I couldn't completely ignore. I'm guessing you have watched the first movie (which was much better), because this continues that story and evolves.

The first movie did not really go into length when it came to ramifications when discussing or doing the turning rain into food. But this goes even further. Going down a road that kids might not be able to see as a problem, but adults probably will. Having said that and seeing as I still gave it a 6/10, this works as a children's movie, because it does have a wild imagination ...

Excellent Movie.

Author: korezcreationz
2 May 2014

I as a part of the audience should say a few words about this movie line. I love all animated movies; Pixar, Disney etc. These movies are to entertain the mind, not invoke deep philosophical contemplation. The fellow reviewers that gave this movie a 0 or 1 are not Authors, they are not reviewers and they only review to be biased. Looking at you gkarlos- gomes. Don't listen to these imbeciles. If you liked the first one you'll love the second. The movie does what it's supposed to do and that is entertain.

The movie has it's down times but all together it has suspense, love, action, adventure, comedy all put together. The names and the funny references are not supposed to be broad, they are easy to spot and are there to get a chuckle.

All and all, 8/10

As colourful and inventive as the first but not quite as good story and pacing-wise

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
23 April 2014

After having already enjoyed the original 'Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs' and heard of this sequel through its trailer (which was misleading because it made this film look promising but it was anything but), I wanted to see this one as well to see how it compared to the original. I've just finished watching this on Amazon Prime Instant Video and while its visuals, animation and vibrancy were on par with those elements from the first, I was somewhat disappointed with the pacing and the story.

While the animation was as good as that in the first with the usual cartoonish character designs, it was still a bit jerky and jarring in places, particularly on Earl. The visuals are as colourful and imaginative as those in the original, especially the cleverly-named food monsters/animals (Tacodiles, Shrimpanzees and Flamangos to name but a few) that Flint's machine from the first film churned out due to having unknowingly survived. While the Columbia opening logo was similar to that in the first film what with a banana knocking the lady off her spot, I liked the slight change of the banana making some sort of dolphin chirp sound and galloping off with Barry on top. Two elements that were not quite on par with those from the first were the pacing and the story. The pacing up until the main characters arrive is slow and plagued with unnecessary filler, particularly the recycled animation from the first film and the story was harder to understand than that from the original. I also found it a little similar to that in 'Up' due to Chester V's revelation of using Flint towards the end of the film being similar to Charles Muntz becoming an enemy to Carl in 'Up.' Nevertheless the dialogue was as clever and witty as that in the original, especially the food puns ("Cut the cheese," "There's a leek in the boat," "Easy as - " "Pie!" etc) whether they were intentional or used to finish certain characters' sentences and I laughed at just about every one of Brent's "Uh ohs!" Further to the characters, Filnt, Sam, Brent, Steve, Tim (Flint's father) and Earl were as worthy as they were in the original and while I was let down by Earl's son having less screen time, Chester V, Barb and Barry the strawberry were welcoming new additions. Although Chester V has similar characteristics to Charles Muntz from 'Up,' Barb is sharp and sassy and Barry is cute (it is funny when he eats the USB and later poops it out along with a pile of jam in fear). Bill Hader, Anna Farris, Will Forte, Neil Patrick Harris, James Caan and Andy Samberg all did as solid a job as in the original voicing Flint, Sam, Chester V, Steve, Tim and Brent respectively although I was disappointed that Terry Crews replaced Mr T as the voice of Earl but Crews did his best to recreate the voice Mr T provided. Other than that, Kristen Schaal (the fourth actress, voice or otherwise, called Kristen I've heard of, the other three being Kristen Stewart who played Bella Swan in the 'Twilight' franchise, which I'm not as big a fan of as animation; Kristen Bell who voiced Anna in 'Frozen;' and Kristen Wiig who voiced Lucy in 'Despicable Me 2') was just as sharp and sassy as Barb. With regard to the soundtrack, it isn't quite the most memorable element of the film but I liked the use of 'Yummy, Yummy, Yummy' that was just as fitting here as 'Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows' was in the original as well as 'La Da Dee' by Cody Simpson, the song being played over the 2D/stop-motion-animated portion of the closing credits and Paul McCartney's 'New.' I also liked the beautiful and powerful incidental music being played during the flythrough or zooming out of the 'foodimals' land. The brief post-credits scene of Barb asking Steve out for a coffee and Steve suggesting dinner instead was a pleasant surprise.

Overall, this wasn't quite as entertaining as the original but the vibrant, inventive visuals, the soundtrack, the return of most of the original voice cast, the new characters and the food puns made this film altogether more tolerable. 7.5/10.

A Very Kid-friendly Affair!

Author: sohansurag from India
19 April 2014

I consider Nick-inspired animated movies as merely watchable but I have to admit, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs did make me laugh and I couldn't possibly give its sequel a miss. I was minutes into the movie and I was sporting the usual 'meh' face and then I watched as Earl Devereaux witnessed something wonderful break into (a) tear and yell "Its enough to make a grown man cry… But not this man. Get back in there TEAR!" and he pulled the tear back into his eye, THAT one scene sold me.

Welcome back to the hyper active animated Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 and following a short 'Previously' things are set it motion just after the first movie. Flint, having saved Swallow Falls from his own 'invention gone wrong', the FLDSMDFR, gets relocated to San Franjose by super inventor and Flint's idol Chester V who is tasked to clean Swallow Fans. But Chester ain't what he seems and has got some nefarious plans in the works.

Every scene in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is littered with hilarious stuff both animated and not. The comedy is written and executed well and the same goes for the visual gags that happens from start till end. The style from the first movie has been consistently maintained and if you liked the first one you are bound to like this one as well. The animation is fast and and it makes me wonder if it Nick behind it all.

As for the cast, almost everyone had me in splits. Be it Terry Crews' athletic cop Earl Devereaux or Andy Samberg's Brent McHale. Neil Patrick Harris' Steve the monkey, despite its limited lines, was just uproarious. Bill Hader and Anna Faris reprises their roles as Flint Lockwood and Samantha Sparks and does enough justice to promise you a few chuckles. The Will Forte voiced Chester made me think they took a jig at Steve Jobs.

Yes its first and foremost a kids movie and I only judged it so but in the end, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 was zany, juvenile (in a good way of course), and all out odd ball but it makes for a modestly entertaining flick for adults and could be blindly suggested for kids… its so colorful I could go wee…and that makes it a brilliant watch if u are high too.

Visual Cortex Overload ... I kinda like it

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 April 2014

It's 8 minutes after the first movie where Flint Lockwood and the gang saved the world. His scientific idol Chester V offers him a job at his Live Corp. His invention FLDSMDFR turns water into food, and has made their island home filled with 'foodimals'. Chester V offers to clean up the island while the inhabitants relocate. At Live Corp, Flint works tirelessly to be a Thinkquanaut. After a disastrous embarrassing party-in-a-box incident, Chester V enlist Flint to go back to the island. The FLDSMDFR is still operating, and monster foodimals are on the roam. Flint has to go back to shut down his invention before the foodimals learn to swim and destroy the world. However Chester V has some sinister plan unknown to Flint.

This movie is even more crazy and wilder than the original. It is visual cortex overload. Every part of the screen has something inventive going on. I kinda like it, but I understand if it overwhelms most people. That kind of over-stimulation can tire the audience out especially on the big screen. It is a children movie with ADD.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]