IMDb > Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

So disappointing

Author: Richard Burin from advicetothelovelorn.blogspot.com
21 October 2013

I'm resigned to the fact that "0 out of 124 people" will find the following review useful (in the world of IMDb, dissenting opinions are usually regarded as useless - quite odd, as I always enjoy reading reviews that challenge my thoughts on a film). Anyway, here goes: If the original Cloudy was like one of those Heston Blumenthal dishes that's both outrageously odd and utterly brilliant - I don't know, perhaps fried egg with jam and Rice Krispies - then this misguided, saccharine sequel is a pointless pudding, an overly sweet dessert that makes you sick up a bit of the main course.

Flint Lockwood (Bill Hader) lands a job with a shady corporation run by his childhood hero - funny how he wasn't mentioned in the first film - who decides to send Flint back to his home island for the post-first-film clean-up, whilst playing him off against his friends. The island itself is now inhabited by living beings made of food, including a cute little strawberry with the voice of Eric Cartman, a spider comprising Big Mac and fries, and a taco-dile that spits vegetables everywhere. Are you sure this script is ready? The problem, no doubt, is that Phil Lord and Chris Miller were only on hand to provide the story and exec-produce, with former South Park staffer Erica Rivinoja botching the writing job, and Cody Cameron (Shrek, Madagascar) and Cloudy contributor Kris Pearn taking care of the rest.

There are a few good jokes - the fishing trip, the translation, Steve the monkey generally - but it's largely overbearing sentiment, food creatures with punny names (essentially a Twitter hashtag that got out of hand), and Steve Jobs-based villainy, a sort of Robots/Wreck-It Ralph/Jurassic Park III hybrid, with a minimum of heart, wit and invention. I wanted something as anarchic and genuinely original as the first movie. Instead, I got a film that's not only aimed at kids, but doggedly conventional, and insultingly predictable, both in its re-treading of old ground and its telegraphing of old jokes.

It's the most disappointing movie I've seen for a couple of years at least.

Great fun!

Author: jimlacy2003 from United States
28 September 2013

Kind of what I expected but even better.

My kids saw and loved the first one (many times over). Then when my son saw a trailer for #2 he literally begged to see it today the 2nd day after opening.

The plot is a bit cliché but then not like it detracted from anything. The sights and sounds, the funny little cute things, etc., is what it is all about.

A point in about 20min in my younger son turned to me and "said, I like this part", and he really laughed a lot. I felt it's aimed mainly for kids, but then probably pretty enjoyable for adults too. Like they sprinkle in some humor in places that only teenagers and adults would get.

A fun film for the family, highly recommended.

Cute-sy and punny...not bad actually

Author: KJ Lao from Philippines
30 October 2013

I found the first movie unique and fun...the second was a bit less surprising but it was saved by the puns haha

Some of course might not like the lines but for me it was funny when needed :D

Everything was cute of course and was perfect for its intended audience (I watched this with at least 100 kids in the theaters...and all of them loved it..so much giggles and kid noise)

I was happy they didn't put much romance on it a hint as with the first movie but not overpowering to make it romantic

Storyline- hm well of course it is predictable and there aren't twist and turns you just know this will happen..it's a kids movie it should be simple with bright colors and lovable cute characters

and Cloudy 2 gave that.

Disappointing Sequel

Author: pinkarray
12 October 2013

I was so excited for this sequel because I love Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs especially Flint and I didn't like any of the characters very much in this film. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 was a dumb film with too much drama and stupidity. Flint is not very smart anymore and his voice is also super annoying. The characters are not very happy in the film, Flint's stupidity and clumsiness has caused chaos and got him looking deeply sad and crying a bit. There is also potty humor in this film as well, with the underwear. Flint is also curious, naive, not very talkative, and doesn't have a very big personality. See, this film didn't capture much of the magic of the first film. It's like the people that made this film has lost their intelligence and do not know how underrated the first film was.

This film actually had some pretty good and interesting parts moreso in the beginning before he started crying about something of his personality that has like completely ruined the whole point of the films. Flint's dad sung a silly song and the music in this film was also silly.

This film was a waste of time, I suggest you avoid it, it's nothing really special. I came home thinking the film would be more exciting and better if they had thought of better ideas.

The only part of the film I can say was decent was the animation, which was very close to the original.

I couldn't follow the storyline, it had a lot of plot holes and lame stuff.

This whole film was like annoying and unnecessary.

Animation is good but it's a sequel that wasn't really needed

Author: Tom_Soprano from England
25 October 2013

'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2' was yet another sequel to be released in 2013. The first one was a good solid animated film, not the best but it was different and I liked it. I didn't watch this with high expectations because the 1st one was just a good 7/10.

As in the first film, the animation is excellent with lots of bright colours etc. Characters are well designed just the same as the 1st. Everything looks good. The voices are mostly the same but it's a shame Mr.T didn't return to voice Earl Devereaux.

There are some funny moments throughout the film but the storyline in general just wasn't as good as the 1st. The original setting has changed because Flint's machine is still running and the town is being over run with food-animal hybrids. This was just a bit silly in general and didn't have the magic of the 1st film.

Overall it was just a bit unnecessary and a sequel that wasn't really needed. The title could've been more imaginative as well. I found it to be much like 'Despicable Me 2' where it was OK to watch for the 1st hour but then I was getting bored where it was just tedious. It's OK for a one time watch but the first one is definitely better. I'm sure the youngsters will enjoy it but the first one was more of a film that all ages could at least enjoy in full.

Also if Chester V is Flint's hero, why wasn't this mentioned in the first film?

5/10.

There's an undeniable pleasantness surrounding everything in the film.

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from www.GoneWithTheTwins.com
26 September 2013

Pixar might have a monopoly on the emotional depth and resonance that refuse to elude its high-class productions, but Sony Pictures Animation certainly knows how to make an entertaining animated feature. Instead of the weighty pathos that frequents the aforementioned company's projects, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" utilizes a nonstop, universally appealing sense of humor and endlessly imaginative visuals. Children and adults alike will revel in the comic wonderment of "foodimal" hybrids that fuse popular fruits and vegetables with energetic critters. After saving his island hometown of Swallow Falls from his victual-generating invention gone awry, lab-coated Flint Lockwood (Bill Hader) settles down with his friends to clean up the leftovers and build a new laboratory with romantic interest and meteorologist Sam Sparks (Anna Faris). He's assisted by his bushy-eyebrowed father Tim (James Caan), chicken-suited mascot Brent (Andy Samberg), police officer Earl (Terry Crews) and his son Cal (Khamani Griffin), Sam's cameraman Manny (Benjamin Bratt), and his pet monkey Steve (Neil Patrick Harris). Just as they begin the reconstruction, legendary inventor Chester V (Will Forte) lands in his helicopter to recruit Flint to his massive LiveCorp research facility in San Franjose, California, where he secretly plots to use the youngster and his invention for nefarious purposes (none-too-subtly dubbed "Operation Capture the Invention"). There's an undeniable pleasantness surrounding everything in the film even in regards to the villains. "Saturday Night Live" veteran Will Forte takes the reigns as a double-crossing, hip, evil-scientist megalomaniac guru, wielding an army of doppelganger holograms and sentinels in formidable armored robotic suits. His sidekick is an ape with communication skills named Barb, voiced by the instantly recognizable Kristen Schaal (known recently for providing voices on "Gravity Falls," "Adventure Time," "Bob's Burgers," "Archer," and "Despicable Me 2"). Just as the evildoers exude a goofy hilarity, even while executing criminal schemes, the rest of the film revels in infinitesimal details that amplify the joviality. Occasionally, the deeper notions of bullying, choosing role models, studying the living food instead of destroying it, and valuing friendships enter the picture, but they are quickly brushed under the carpet for more appealing animated absurdities and endangerment. Shrimpanzees, watermelophants, peanut butter and jellyfish, tacodiles, and bananostriches are but a few of the delightfully creative creature designs that run amok in Swallow Falls. Everything is just so ridiculously cute. The dialogue is also spectacular, using rapid-fire conversations and nonstop jokes to aid in visual merriments that include ravingly flamboyant gesticulations and a fabulous food fight finale. The character designs, unbridled movements, extreme facial expressions, and food monster adventures are consistently amusing, recreating a Jurassic Park of sorts, overrun by colossal, primordial, edible behemoths and wide-eyed, cuddly, dainty produce with faces. )

Undercooked.

Author: Metra Ton from Russia
14 January 2014

When I watched this sequel, I thought... no, I hoped - that NOTHING can really be worse than the original. But there is a good line from one writer: "If you go down... you gotta go all the way". Seems like the "Lot of people" who made this film shared the idea.

I don't know where to start... Perhaps with the basis - child cartoon. Unlike the original, this can actually be viewed by a child. Perhaps some toddler around 5 years old. There is plenty of smiling berries, marshmallows and the likes that serve a better cuteness dish than Fight the Power cats of the original. And there is actually morale. Again, I thought Avatar was the worst example of twisted logic. No. Let's promote fishing and save all the cute living food, just so that kids could grow up and find out... That food isn't magically pooped out of a Santa's rear. It's cooked from living animals, from killed and served plants... it's fished with hooks that kill you painfully. But no - that's a cartoon. Living is good, cooking(yeah, that was the main enemy) - is bad. Either way - again, for a child that wants cute and cuddly, kind and caring - that is a fitting cartoon. Perhaps he will be drawing with a brown crayon after watching it, but that's a side-effect. That's why it's 2, not 1 out of 10.

As for the rest of you people, who haplessly paid for it... Well, you can always get stoned hard. There are many movies that are supposed to be watched that way, and I bet this LSD-addict scripwriter's creation should do the trick.

If I had to put it in more organized manner, it would probably be like this: 1. Crazier than original. Overkill. 2. Twisted morale. About half of the story could be wrapped inside-out, it would still be a good cartoon... except it would make sense. 3. More predictability than the original. You know how it's going to end the first time you see Chester. Oh, well, kids are dumb, right? No need to stay true to the rules of cinema, to give the watcher at least the hope of something unusual.

Conclusion: Everyone wants to be unique. Even cartoons. And, as usually, when you just can't imagine a good way to be unique... You do something crazy. Like flinging your poo. Sure, you will stand out. You might even get top-views on YouTube! But unfortunately, for any logical person out there... You would still be just flinging the poo.

And that's how I see this franchise. It is unique, granted. But it's not worth "being" unique.

Fruitful Revisit

Author: Mek Torres from Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines
11 October 2013

2009's Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was based on a beloved book that turns out to be a really good and undeniably endearing adaptation, and that's satisfying enough for us to live without any sequel of it. But here it is, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, a film that gives Flint Lockwood and the gang an extra journey to this whimsical world. And surprisingly, it turns out to be all fun with wonderful animation and some memorable humor, especially when it involves puns. It's still extravagant for it to have a sequel, but if you're hungry for more of these delightful characters and their preposterous adventures, then this film is a worthwhile treat.

The main plot itself is immediately stale, focusing on that point gives the film a hint of tastelessness. There's even hardly any meat to its subtext which it rather mixes its random messages; it started with the childhood idol trouble cliché, then to Flint's relationship issues to his father and friends, and eventually tells an environmental friendly story. There's also an irony at the third message that the fact the animals, which are made of food, shouldn't be harmed, but eating sardines is fine. I understand what kind of analogy they're pulling off here, but then it gets a bit awkward when you give it a second look, at least it's not a sour remark. It sparks best when it simply explores around the context, which seems to be the only thing the film is interested in. It also works better when the "Foodnimals" were introduced, mostly because the characters are giving them names out of puns and that's pretty much of the film's humor. Puns may be annoying for some people, but it adds flavor to the gags.

Even a half-baked plot can't keep this from being entertaining, the world itself is already a pure delight. Many of the cast from the first movie returns; Bill Hader, Anna Farris, James Caan, and the rest still got it by bringing plenty of charm and sweetness in their characters. While the new ones; Terry Crews replaces Mr. T as Earl, but it seems perfect enough for him to fill these shoes. And Will Forte also gives a fun performance as Chester V. The visuals brings it to the table, it has become even more eye candy than before which makes a good recommendation to be seen in theaters. It's all deliciously adventurous and utterly whimsical that made things a lot lively.

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 is a piece of cake blockbuster that is easy enough for anyone to swallow. I believe this is good for people who need a little light entertainment in a while; as long as you're able to not chicken out from the film's numerous amount of cheesy puns. But in the end, you may get use to it, sometimes contagious, which made me pretentiously use some in this review. It's still undercooked regards to the plot, but the amazing technical work and great voice acting covered that up. It's no means to be perfect, we just sometimes need a simple funny and purely imaginative film to spend in our time, and this is one of the good choices.

I liked it

Author: pastrunho
16 January 2014

I love animations and visual effects so I love these films. The story isn't excellent but I don't care so much is these kind of films. Pixar is absolutely better in this, of course, but I love all these films, so I liked a lot also this one. The most thing I like in Pixar's films is that they aren't for children. In fact there're a lot of quotes that a child can't understand. Furthermore, the animations are really great, fantastic, gorgeous, something that a child can't realise and like totally. Although, there're a lot of funny moments but it's not enough for a better vote, so it's a 7, thanks to the animations. They are really well done, and also the ideas of the food-animals, or foodimals like the film said, but the story is just a 6. The first one was better, but I suggest to you to watch both of them, if you like animation films.

Why are people so negative!!

Author: chris_rowe-881-168820
30 December 2013

Ill start by saying I am 26 and I went with my 25 year old partner to watch this film, I have to review this film solely for the reason that people have been overly harsh with there assessments of this movie.

No animation film bar classic Disney really goes into any great story lines or tries to really pull at your heart strings or tries to go all in to win an Oscar, so for the people giving this a low rating I am genuinely baffled as to why.

These films in recent times try and do the following in my eyes: 1)Show a great imagination to capture an audience. 2)Create characters within the film that will sell merchandise as well as be loved by the people watching. 3)Entertain and show plot twists to keep the viewers engrossed throughout. 4)Be accessible for as many age groups as they can.

This film does all of that and more and is completely enjoyable. It is smart, funny and totally awesome for kids and adults alike.

Films like this aren't ever going to be up there with all time greats! but its films like this that warm your heart and make you smile!.

It is a great film for family, kids or even a date night.

Great film and look forward to number 3.

Enjoy and guarantee you will leave satisfied!!!!

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]