IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Low point for this genre

Author: mwf-5 from Michigan
3 March 2013

Spoiler Alert (though hardly necessary for this predictable flick)

If you read IMDb's synopsis, you already know the entire story. It's the "group of teen misfits who band together and win a competition" movie. You've it a dozen times before.

This one has an updated, 2012 soundtrack, but all the other overdone cliché's for this genre are fully intact.

If, however, you find slick, unrealistic, overproduced, a cappella singing to be pure joy (Glee fan?), then you may find this movie tolerable.

On the other hand, if you value your free time, pass this one up. You will be spared several scenes of projectile vomiting, and the "riff-off" (which will likely induce your own nausea).

Offensive, Sloppy and Heartless

Author: stefanpulpitel
18 April 2013

Pitch Perfect is certainly a wildly popular movie, that came highly recommended by countless friends and family. I had no idea what it was about beyond 'singing,' so I fired up the DVD player at Château Pulpitel, and eagerly awaited the many laughs I was assured this film would provide.

Now they never really came. This film is as best I can gather, 'Glee: The Movie' with the basic plot elements of your 'Bring it On' style films. So if you love any of that stuff, stop reading now and go watch it. You'll love this film so you needn't bother about my opinions.

Okay, it's just us now, right?

Where this movie falls apart is in two aspects; firstly its complete disinterest in logic pertaining even to its own universe, and more worryingly, it has an offensive attitude that is nothing short of racist, sexist and more suited to your standard right wing attitude in its portrayal of non-Caucasians, Jewish people, people with eating disorders and women in general.

This movie doesn't care about what happened before, or why something is happening now. It's one big Deus ex machina from beginning to end. Why did Ben Platt's' character Benji, turn up as stage manager at the regional sing off event? Everyone else had to drive on the bus to get there. Where was he? Why was he a stage manager at another university, when he is a freshman amateur magician? Why was it that the best way to get rid of Adam Devine's' character Bumper was to have a hastily created scene with him immediately leaving to work with John Mayer- negating any interest in his relationship with Rebel Wilsons' appallingly offensive and unfunny Big Amy character? Why does no one EVER study? THey don't even carry books, or pens, or seem to talk about their subjects! This movie shows us countless avenues of interest and then never refer to them again. It sets up characters and dumps them never to be seen again. We are shown four acapella groups, one of which NEVER does anything, at all! Why bother with all of these settings if you never refer to it again? Because no one cared that much, would be my guess.

More shamefully however, is the constant prejudicial attitudes displayed in this film. This movie attempts to be funny by being daring, and outrageous. So we get not one, but two Asian characters who are simply awful stereotypes. One is a racist angry dorm- mate with the main protagonist, who manages to be an unlikeable bitchy Asian stereotype. The other is a 'crazy Asian' stereotype, who is a pyromaniac who rolls around in vomit. You know, because Asians can't be complex and meaningful. They are either bitchy nerds of perverts. We aren't allowed to hear non-white characters speak too much either- our token black character gets around 4 lines (you can't count the singing, because its all clearly auto tuned and added in post) but gets to be a problem gambling lesbian. But there's no motivation given, no reasoning. And after the moment of confession, NO ONE CARES. Maybe it's because she is black? The script writers were right to think that you can do great joke about racist stereotypes, but they missed the concept that you make fun of the behaviour and attitudes of racism, and expose the ridiculousness of it. What they do here is reinforce stereotypes, which should not be amusing for empathetic, caring members of the human race. But we plough deeper into this morass, with obesity, bulimia and deafness copping a serve. I strongly feel that no subject is off limits for humour, but you need to be funny. Making fun of Deaf Jews, Lesbians and Asians is not the same as being funny.

I found this to be a fairly heartless film, where morality and heart are irrelevances, and not one that I could recommend to others. This is not what comedy should be, if we're a truly civilised people.

Funny's Cousin

Author: Melissaslist from United States
29 December 2012

I watched this on cable last night. My friend who suggested we watch it told me she'd heard from many that it was very funny. I did not think it was funny at all. We watched about half of it (maybe the good parts were in the second half?) Doubtful.

As soon as the girl projectile vomited I just sorta knew it was going to be awful. NOT because I don't like silly humor. Actually I love it...when it's done right. But this in my opinion was just done wrong and I did not laugh once whereas clearly this was meant to be a comedy. I loved Rebel Wilson in Bridesmaids. She was hilarious. I was hoping she would make this more entertaining but that was not the case.

I don't know what it is with Hollywood lately. It's either vampires or glee club. Its a little too much already. I would have liked to have watched this movie with people who claimed it was hilarious and have them explain to me what about it was funny. I just did not see it at all.

Aca-mazing. Truly enjoyed Pitch Perfect.

Author: taylordemski from College Station
12 September 2012

I absolutely loved this movie. Saw an advanced screening and the entire theater was laughing and clapping throughout the movie! Refreshing to see a comedy and musical combo. A lot like Glee (minus the cheesy factor) mixed with witty comedy like in Bridesmaids and other modern popular comedies. Great casting! Any college girl is bound to love it. This is a movie even my mom would enjoy. It held my interest throughout and i think it was well produced. My boyfriend even enjoyed the comedy aspect of it! A great girls night out movie choice or even a date night movie. I feel like overall everybody loved it, I definitely did. I hope this movie earns the recognition it deserves. Its going to be a hit among young audiences like myself!

Where's the musical?

Author: Philipe14 from United States
14 May 2015

Lots of fans could hardly wait for the sequel to come out, and now that it's here, I went back and watched PP again to see if I missed something. Nope, all that junk is still there. I was hoping to see a musical, but a vapid teen/college comedy showed up instead with a sprinkling of "music" in it. Most of the major roles were occupied by actors closer to 30 than college age at the time the movie was made. The music is spotty, at best, and the lip-syncing/dubbing is terrible. A lot of "fat girls are funny" humor involving Rebel Wilson's character (can she actually do comedy, or just Funny Fat Girl stuff?) And when they resort to vomit humor more than once, you know a movie is short on writing talent. The only bright spot is Anna Kendrick, and her solo with that coffee mug. I can hardly wait for PP2 to come out - - - at the $2 video rental box, it's a sequel I can wait for....

Probably The Dumbest Movie Ever Made In Movie History **** This Review May Contain Spoilers *****

Author: David Zecua from United States
9 August 2013

Oh what to say about this garbage of a movie? Oh yea I wish I were be able to give this movie a 0/10 but due to IMDb I have to give at least a 1. That is how awful and stupid this movie is. The only 2 good things about this movie are the Universal logo and when this movie finally over. Although I haven't really sat through this piece of crap I'm still giving it my review y'all could hate on me but I don't care. Okay, so yea I've only sat through like half hour or so but I had to turn off the TV because it was really stupid and unrealistic in terms of college and probably the worst movie of 2012 that I've seen. This movie is not funny it's stupid and inaccurate when it comes to being in college. The students in the movie are not even carrying any books around, so what do students do in the movie? Do they learn anything? Another thing, the selection of music. The selection of music in this movie is absolutely horrible, I hate modern pop it's really stupid and overrated and they only played that in this movie and with People in this movie messing it up even more now it's even more annoying now and then they try to rap to a throwback from the 80s or 90s, wow really why? That's my jam there and they just messed it up with their annoying ass auto tuned singing voices. Plus this movie is not funny it's dumb, annoying and overrated, critics why are you giving this piece of crap so much credit that it does not deserve at ALL? That goes for people too that suck this movie's dick. Seriously the score for this movie is too high, a 7.2 is way too high for this movie . I'm not even gonna bother finishing this movie, half hour is already a lot of time wasted on this bull-crap, okay Fat Amy is not funny at all people I didn't laugh at her jokes once, because there stupid and unfunny to me and all the rest of the humor in this damn movie is dumb and unfunny. I do not recommend this movie, If you like stupid ass overrated movies or crap like Glee or anything like that you'll like this one but otherwise if you do have common sense, do not waste your valuable hard working time, your time is much much more important than this movie. I would NEVER pay money to even get this on DVD. So yea people don't watch this movie this movie sucks

and is stupidly overrated and over-hyped. Well people if you get mad at me, you should be grateful that I'm saving you from wasting your valuable time from this movie. Well anyway this it people bye have a great day. Please do not your waste your time on Pitch Perfect it is so absolutely God awful.

What a piece of crap

Author: abisio from Miami
29 May 2015

Surprised by the unexpected success of the Pitch Perfect 2; I decided to give a try to the first part. Not that I was planning to see the second but out of curiosity. Let's clarify; I like music but know nothing about the mechanic of it. An acquaintance; well versed in opera, told me that you can get sounds with your mouth and throat than no other instrument can; so the premise of an "a capella" movie must be something interesting.

Well; do not lose you time. There are a few know songs but it is hard to believe the music was not instrumental. Choreographs OK; but not better than GLEE which is free to watch. The story is so full of clichés that the characters predict the outcome. The situations and motivations are absurd; but the resolution are even worse It is really not a surprise since characters are not properly defined; so their behavior change according to the movie needs.

Acting is terrible. Brittany Snow is able to cause empathy follow in a second place by Skylar Astin; but the rest of the cast is awfully forced or uninterested or boring(like Anna Kendrick ). The worse surprise was Rebel Wilson; she is absolutely not funny.

How poorly is this movie directed and scripted that John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Banks are there also (she is one of the producers and future director of the second installment ) like in Greeks plays as "narrators" basically informing us that performance is good or bad.

Again; I know nothing about mechanic of music; but I am pretty sure judges in this kind of competitions evaluate sound quality and originality over modern songs.

In brief; do not lose your time.

In fact; the only the only moment trying to do something smart

What "Glee" Wishes it Could Be.

Author: Markus Emilio Robinson
7 October 2012

"Pitch Perfect" is basically "Bring It On", but with a cappella singing groups instead of cheerleaders…and it's also a million times funnier. Directed by Jason Moore and adapted by Kay Cannon from Mickey Rapkin's novel, "Pitch Perfect" tells the story of Beca (played by Anna Kendrick) an aspiring DJ attending Barden University, who's hobbies include seclusion, nonconforming and listening to Mashups (which kind of makes her a conformist). In an attempt to have Beca become more socially active, her father (who is also a professor at the University) urges her to join a club on campus. But upon perusing each club (especially the glee clubs) she quickly decides that the loner lifestyle is far less humiliating. That is, until a rather awkwardly nude run-in with one of the members of the The Bellas, an all-girl a cappella group on campus that sings nothing but Ace of Base. And since The Bellas are coming off of an embarrassing loss at the previous year's singing competition, Beca, as well as a multitude of other "a ca-losers"; including Fat Amy (as advertized) and Lilly, the girl who can apparently speak no higher than a whisper, are asked to try out in a desperate hope that a group of misfits could be just the thing that sends the conservative Bellas all the way to the finals of the national Glee-esque competition. And if this doesn't sound generic enough, there is also a love story subplot centered around Beca and a guy who looks shockingly like Dane Cook. OK, so if this sounds like every teen flick that you've ever seen, about a misunderstood misfit who ends up helping the popular kids (that were mean to her in the beginning of the movie) win their something-or-other championship/tournament, only to discover that in the end that they are all the same no matter their social standing, then that is only because, from synopsis alone, "Pitch Perfect is exactly that. But before you write this dark horse off, let me just say that due to a sharply satirical script and a surprisingly hilarious, eccentric and immensely engaging cast, which include the likes of Brittany Snow, Hana Mae Lee, Rebel Wilson (as Fat Amy) Skylar Astin and Anna Kendrick, giving a performance which not only solidifies herself as a true leading lady in any genre, but also as the new Kristen Bell, but with talent, "Pitch Perfect" does elevate itself far above the mundane-ness of your everyday teen comedy. In fact, from the non-stop laughs, to the quite satirical teenage dialogue, to the perfectly hilarious "Best in Show"-esque banter from Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins, who play the two commentators of the national a cappella competition, "Pitch Perfect", aside from a curiously abrupt ending, works on EVERY level; even in its rarest of sappy moments.

"Pitch Perfect" vs. "Glee": The main reason "Pitch Perfect" works so well is actually quite simple. Where "Glee" is so in love with its self-proclaimed perception that glee clubs are the new "cool", this is a comedy that isn't afraid to make fun of a cappella groups, glee clubs and people randomly breaking out into song, while at the same time presenting interesting characters that audiences want to root for. So, if you where thinking of avoiding this film on the basis of your dislike of "Glee" (or that awful show "The Sing-Off") but find yourself being dragged to see it anyways, no need to worry because chances are you will be happily surprised by what "Pitch Perfect" has to offer.

Final Thought: Even though most of the comedy here is on the cruder side, this is still a PG-13 venture. In short, "Pitch Perfect" is not the raunchy female buddy comedy, filled with overlong skits about feces that "Bridesmaids" was. But good news…"Pitch Perfect" is so much more funny and (more importantly) more accessible than "Bridesmaids" will ever be. What I mean by "accessible" is, men will be able to watch this movie without hearing the phrase: "You wouldn't get it because you're a man." All kidding aside, I haven't seen a comedy with this much clever teenage personality since "Easy A". So, in the comedic cesspool that has been 2012, filled with half-assed attempts such as "That's My Boy" and "The Watch", "Pitch Perfect" is not only my pick for the biggest surprise to come out of the genre this year, but also the funniest movie of the year (so far); narrowly edging out "21 Jump Street".

Written by Markus Robinson, Edited by Nicole I. Ashland

Follow me on Twitter @moviesmarkus

Predictable teen movie

Author: stefanievanwijk1 from Netherlands
5 January 2015

A movie about a tomboy girl who joins a acappela girlgroup which is in a fight with a boygroup. The girl falls in love with a boy, wants to change the boring stigma of the acapella group, gets in a fight with the lead girl (queen B) and has a troubled relationship with her father: all the classical ingredients for a teen movie.

The only reason why I don't give this movie a 1 out of 10 is because of Rebel Wilson: an extremely talented actress who improvised a lot in the movie which made it a little bit more bearable.

Pitch Perfect is just a typical teen movie: predictable jokes, predictable characters and a predictable storyline. So its not a surprise that this movie can be described in one word: predictable.

If you are between the age of 14/16; I'm sure you will enjoy this movie, especially if you haven't seen a lot of these kind of movies. But if you are in your twenties and pretty much watched all of the classical teen movies, this is just a waste of your time.

Not good enough

Author: bbewnylorac
9 February 2015

This movie is a big letdown. Here you have a good cast, a lovely college setting, good costumes and camera-work and great music. I feel the problem is the characters and the script. Intentionally or not, the characters come across as very white-bread and narrow minded. At first I though they were denigrating anyone who was "different" as a way of highlighting that such behaviour is wrong. But actually I think the script is genuinely making fun of anyone who's not a blonde bimbo or jock. Anna Kendrick is sweet but too serious for the lead role of Beca. And her character is too dark. The plot is air thin - guys you've got to give the audience something a bit meatier to chew on. But all that seems to happen is that a group of shrill young women stand around messing up their rehearsals. The End. Great teen movies like Bring It On and Ten Things I Hate About You have some depth and meaning and feeling to balance the goofiness. This movie is pure sugar and that's not good for you.

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]