IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Funny but Problematic

Author: acheck-72629
6 June 2015

Great film aside from the racism (against Asians), sexism (slut shaming), and homophobia (against lesbians). Let's start with the racism - the Asian roommate almost never speaks, only has Asian friends, calls the main character "white girl", and is the only one (along with her friends) depicted playing video games. The Asian character that is in the "Bellas" speaks so softly you can't hear her, and says she ate her twin in the womb. The only possible joke here is one based on the stereotype of Asians as meek, and it is both unfunny and confusing.

Next, the sexism. The film focuses on women in a largely positive light, but there are still harmful undertones lurking throughout. Women are kicked out of their troupe for having sex with members of competing troupes, but the men are not subject to the same punishment. This could just be an over the top description of reality (and fits the troupe leader's character), but when coupled with the remaining character who "has sex a lot" and admits it as if it is a bad thing, it seems more problematic.

Finally the homophobia. Really not a fear of gays, but rather a distasteful mocking of them. The members of the troupe are constantly wondering if the character played by the black actress is a ~lesbian~ like it is some taboo subject and something to laugh at. Then, when she admits that she has a gambling problem, and later reveals she is a lesbian, the other characters seem to get some type of weird joy like "OMG we knew she was gay the whole time!" Literally the whole (unfunny and dragged out) joke was that this character was lesbian. Ha. Ha.

The rest of the movie was pretty funny. Without these three unfunny, problematic, and hurtful lines of "comedy", I would probably rate it as an 8/10.

Chick-flick that will either annoy or amuse you.

Author: ConsultingHobbitExtractors
6 March 2015

Since I didn't like this movie very much, I'll give it a less biased overview first, then talk about what I personally disliked in it in the back half. This is a very strong chick-flick comedy. I haven't seen very many movies like this since it's not really my scene, but I suppose the producers did a decent job with the movie. They included some rising stars that will probably be remembered for this movie. The film is memorable with lots of things to replicate and quote such as the aca- prefix and the cup beat. So in that regard, the filmmakers did their job well.

Even though I didn't appreciate the comedy, I suppose it was well scripted and acted with decent proficiency. The characters, though, were a bit more of a problem. It seemed to me like most of them were poorly written. Almost every character either acts like a jerk or is put in a position where they are laughed at because of being a certain stereotype or whatever (e.g. Cynthia Rose being lesbian, Benji's nerdy magic acts). They are, however, redeemed by having very distinct personalities. The only characters that I feel are exceptions to the previous statement are Fat Amy and Chloe. Fat Amy is able to generate humor without being mean or picked. This holds true for Chloe as well, though her character has below average depth and personality. However, Chloe is rather pivotal in the eventual transformation of the Bella group. I'll touch lightly on the other three main characters/groups of the movie, being Aubry, Beca, and the Trebles. Aubry is basically an antagonist for most of the movie, and is pretty hateable, and potentially annoying, but her obstinacy in retaining the Bellas' tradition was insufficiently explained. Beca has a detectable personality, but her character has relatively little depth, and she's rather unlikable and too easily irritated as main characters go. This especially detracts from her character since she basically becomes leader of the Bellas toward the end and hasn't really connected with the other girls in the group, though she has gained their respect and sympathy. Lastly, the rival Treble Makers are the main villains and have three key characters of Bumper, Donald, and Jesse. Jesse becomes kind of a protagonist and is more likable than the other Trebles since he tries to ingratiate himself with Beca. Bumper is a character that you can hate without trying, which is good since he's a villain. Donald, which is the Treble with glasses and a lot of screen time, fits the cinematic a Capella guy mold of dorky and annoying, which is established early in the movie.

The storyline is set up like a sports movie, and this is mostly accounted for by the various a Capella competitions throughout. It's fairly predictable, like lots of sports films though this is fictional and comedic of course, and there aren't any surprise ending style elements. The humor seems to be fairly mainstream female comedy, though my knowledge in that field is limited so don't take that as fact. There's a fair amount of sexual jokes and such in it, accounting for the PG-13 rating. There are also a number of running gags that mostly pertain to the characters (e.g. Aubry's vomiting at the beginning of the film). Beca's being promoted to leader of the Bellas near the end was kind of corny and inconsistent with Aubry's character, but they made the scene into a joke so that kind of made up for it.

That's about it for the unbiased portion of the review. I'll try to keep my opinions fairly brief in this back half. This movie did not really fit my personality. I wouldn't have chosen to see it and definitely wouldn't have chosen to sit through it. The only reason I did either is because I felt like I owed my brother for having him go to Battle of Five Armies, and he said I could pay him back by sitting through this. As I said before, I felt like the characters were all either picked on or were jerks throughout. The comedy wasn't really that palatable to me, so that caused me to have more of a problem with the smaller issues of the movie throughout. I can understand why other people enjoy it, but it just doesn't have the same affect on me. Most of the characters were really annoying, especially when they involved the Trebles, the two competition announcers, or the aca- prefix. I was considering having "Pretty aca-nnoying" as part of my headline, but there are enough of those already, so there's no point. In short, nothing from the first installment makes me want to go and see the sequel that's coming out in a month or so.

You can watch this under almost any number of circumstances. It's fine to see it on your own. You can watch clips of it and enjoy each individual scene. It's good to watch with a bunch of friends since there's not really any big plot points that will be missed if you don't catch a few lines. So while, I hated this movie, I suppose it's worth a shot for anyone looking for a decently executed comedy. Overall Rating: 4.2/10.

not good enough

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
22 August 2015

Beca joins her college a Capella group in order to get more socialized. I have heard too many things about pitch perfect, but watching it now seems like going back to those old good glee days. The new window that glee had opened for musicals and social school mainly matters, with the outcasts being the main focus, is, now days, too over run. So pitch perfect is nothing original. It can bring back memories of high school musical even. Some of the scenes were funny, except from the puking. I mean, after the first scene, the constant reminder of it and its repetition is just annoying. For the rest of the movie, things are just too predictable that you can guess what will happen from the fist few minutes of the movie. So 3 for pitch perfect.

Not funny and not about singing

Author: Simone Di Bella from Italy
1 July 2015

I watched this movie yesterday and I couldn't find almost any humour in it. I giggled a couple of times and that's it. About the musical side, I think that good singers sing for the love of music itself, not to celebrate themselves, which appears to be what moves those "singers" instead. Singing it's a matter of heart, not only of vocal cords, a thing that x-factor-like performers, like the characters of this movie, fail to understand. In my opinion these kind of performances should be held in circuses, because of the kind of skills involved.

Anyway I suppose it's a passable teenager movie, but not for particularly bright kids, which can choose among many other better movies if they're interested in music.

Like camp rock, but college

Author: Kayla
22 June 2015

This was probably the worst movie I've ever seen I've never written a review on here before but looking at that score I just kind of felt like I had to. First off it's almost impossible to stand Anna Kendrick's character, she's always complaining about something, which I could get behind if she wasn't complaining about things that us normal people can only dream about, such as free college, the most perfect guy ever likes her (seriously no guy on earth is that perfect), a big group of people want to be her friends. I know it's awful right? The reason she complains about the free college is because her dad is making her go (he's a professor, that's why it's free) but she's an adult, if she doesn't want to go she doesn't have to, but if she didn't go there wouldn't be a plot. Anyway, I didn't think it was that funny either, Rebel Wilson was the only one that made me laugh, and even then I didn't laugh that often. Maybe I just don't get singing humor. Even then they keep using the same gags over and over "aca-awesome" and the one girl that's really quiet and the lesbian, it gets old, it wasn't even that funny the first time. Anyway, the plot is boring anyway, self-absorbed brat joins a club she didn't want to join and finds out she likes it and makes new friends. How original! By the way, Becca mentioned her "stepmonster" one time and she was never brought up again, was she really a monster? Because she tends to exaggerate I mean she made free college sound like prison.

Sorry that my review is a train wreck, but it doesn't make the movie any less of one. Also I typed this on a phone there are bound to be typos.

This is so fun movie.

Author: carol movie from Japan
27 July 2016

This movie is so fun and lets us remember our youth. Especially, I love singing, so I listen to the soundtrack a lot of times. I'm Japanese, so I don't know much about what is the young in America and their school life, so I can learn those things from this movie. Off course, I don't have much knowledge about American music, so when I watched this movie. I didn't understand which song was old or how famous song it was. However, characters in this film do excellent and energetic performance, so foreigners can enjoy all the time, I think.

Also, riff-off is a must-see. There is it in the middle of this film, all singers are so sexy and they sing very famous song, so I sang to myself. Main characters have a great individuality and you will also enjoy their joke and dialogues.

If you watch this film, you will understand why it became so popular and be loved by people whole world.

Think of it as another version of Glee and you get this fun feel good flick

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
25 July 2016

Pitch Perfect stars Anna Kendrick,Skylar Astin,Anna Camp,Brittany Snow and Rebel Wilson and tells the tale of an up and coming DJ named Becca(Kendrick)who is picked by a group called The Barden Bella's(ran by Brittany Snow and Anna Camp)after they had a disastrous final last year and they are setting up new members to try and pick up where they left off. Becca of course falls for a guy called Jesse(played by Skylar Astin who I swear could pass off as Zachary Levi's twin brother may I add)and of course The Barden Bella leader doesn't want any romance whatsoever involved cause that could ruin their group. So the new found group that involves Becca,and a few more including the hilarious Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy who is the showstopper here and they try and compete in the accapella finals.

Overall I really enjoyed this movie as I got it on DVD recently and I was watching it last night. For those of you that don't know what Accapella is its basically a group of people that sing without any backing tracks as they do the backing tracks themselves with their mouths.

The story was good and I liked the songs they did in Accapella style like Don't You Forget About Me from The Breakfast Club,The Tin Cup song,Let's Talk About Sex,and a few more.

If you love Glee the TV show or if you watch YouTube and you listen to accapella music on that site then you will like this movie.

Elizabeth Banks (who co-produced this film and directed the sequel which I also got)stars.

Pitch Perfect

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
9 July 2016

I knew this film was about singing, and I knew a couple of the female stars in it, as for everything else, I was looking forward to seeing this sleeper hit for myself. Basically at the annual International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCAC), at Lincoln Center in New York City, the Bellas, from Barden University, are the first all- female group to make it to the finals. But they cannot compete against the all-male Treblemakers, as they perform uninspired arrangements, outdated girl songs, and they are humiliated by Aubrey Posen (Anna Camp) vomiting during her solo. Four months later, freshman Beca Mitchell (Anna Kendrick) is a new arrival at Barden, she has no desire to attend college, but her professor father (John Benjamin Hickey) has forced her, she wants to pursue a career as a DJ and music producer in Los Angeles, she spends her time making mash-ups and takes up an internship at the school radio station, where she gets to know fellow freshman Jesse Swanson (Skylar Astin). Beca's father finds out she has not been attending classes, so he makes a deal with her, if she joins a club and still wants to leave college after a year, he allow her to do so, and will pay her way to Los Angeles to pursue her career. Beca is persuaded by Chloe Beale (Brittany Snow) to join to Barden Bellas, Aubrey initially disapproves, but she sees Beca has talent, and soon other members join, that do not fit the group's typical mould, including Cynthia-Rose (Ester Dean), Stacie Conrad (Alexis Knapp), Lilly Onakuramara (Hana Mae Lee) and Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson). The new Bellas lineup perform at the southeastern regional competition at Carolina University, but at Aubrey's insistence they perform the same medley they did at the finals the previous year, but they do get second place and will progress to the semi-finals. Disaster strikes when the Treblemakers cause an uproar with the Bellas after the competition, Beca accidentally smashes a window with the trophy, she is arrested by the police, but Jesse, who joined the Treblemakers, bails Beca out, but it gets worse when her father gets involved and tells her he will no longer pay for to go to Los Angeles. Beca is infuriated and her friendship with Jesse is soured, and Aubrey will not listen to her suggestion for the Bellas to be more daring, at the semi-finals, during the Bellas' "traditional" performance, Beca provides an impromptu back-up of one of her favourite songs, the audience enjoy the remix, but the Bellas come third, behind the Footnotes and the Treblemakers. Aubrey is furious with Beca, who in turn quits, but things improve when the Footnotes are later disqualified from the national competition, because the lead singer was actually still in high school, meaning the Bellas can take part instead. The Bellas reform after spring break, without Beca, Chloe stands up to Aubrey for her stubbornness, the group fall apart, Beca meanwhile is declined an apology from Jesse, so she returns to the Bellas, apologising for her actions at the semi- finals, she wants another chance, Aubrey eventually allows it. Having had a heart-to-heart conversation, the Bellas decide to adopt Beca's more modern and original music style, meanwhile Treblemakers group leader Bumper Allen (Adam Devine) leaves after being offered a job to be backup singer for John Mayer, Jesse convinces them to let his previously rejected roommate Benji Applebaum (Ben Platt) join the group. At the a cappella national competition, the Bellas, with Beca's arrangement, sing a modern song, plus a performance of "Don't You (Forget About Me)", featured in The Breakfast Club, one of Jesse's favourite movies, this acts as a more effective apology from Beca, following the performance Beca and Jesse kiss, the Bellas win the competition, and six months later, they audition for new members. Also starring Elizabeth Banks as Gail Abernathy-McKadden, John Michael Higgins as John Smith, Alexis Knapp as Stacie Conrad, Ester Dean as Cynthia Rose, Hana Mae Lee as Lilly Onakuramara, Kelley Alice Jakle as Jessica and Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Tommy. Kendrick is likable as the determined would-be DJ and new talent to the gang, Camp is convincingly annoying as the uptight soloist, and Wilson with her Australian accent and big screen presence (literally) gets many of the laughs being the loud eccentric one. It is a simple story, an a cappella girl group struggling get a new talent and improve dramatically, there are clichés and stereotypical characters, but the script is smart, the energy is razor-sharp, and the singing talent and soundtrack in splendid, it is a most enjoyable musical comedy. Good!

Watch to suit!

Author: rwc-12978 from Hampshire, England
18 May 2016

Were we shocked when Jason Moore a musical director was announced as director of Pitch Perfect? Of course not. The story is based on a book but brought to life using Kay Cannon's writing of the screen play and Jason Moore's musical background. Pitch perfect is a teenage comedy with a musical twist (cute, silly and fun). The star character is Beca who joins and a Capella group but has high hopes of becoming a DJ. The film is gripping with ups and downs. Obviously! It has silly goofs, falling, puking and love. Beca is a freshman at Barden University. She Joins the Bellas, an all-girls singing group due to flattery and persuasion. The girls re-energised enter a campus competition against the other groups. The Star of the show is Anna Kendrick playing the beautiful Beca. The funniest character is Rebel Wilson playing fat Amy; revealed to the audience later why she has this nickname.

The characters are bubbly with the girls being silly and the guys being bad boys. Of Course! It's a good musical with amazing song choice and no random breaking into song. God that would be annoying!

There is no manly action but a lot is happening at any given time. The comedy is different we expect adult humour or clown like humour but what we get is immature childish humour thanks to Rebel Wilson's remarks and improvisation.

In Conclusion, I would recommend this film to anyone who's as immature as me if not you will hate it, so don't watch it. I would strongly recommend it if you enjoy childish humour with an adult twist due to some inappropriate language and scenes.

Unexpectedly turn out overwhelming fantastic

Author: Oasis5
26 April 2016

Expectation: 4/10

Outcome: 10/10

Great Music: 9/10

Effectiveness/Meaningful Scene: 10/10

Logical/Character Diversity: 8/10

WOW Factors: 10/10

Usually many movies with more than 6 main characters would faced a problem with stereotype and flat character which the extra come out just to fulfill the lead role(ex. Step Up 3) and their conflict "... to be or not to be in that movie is better..." always be the questions. (they just flat and motivation be the same without developing)

SPOILER WARNING

BUT!, this movie not even close to those low grade at all. All Scene are counted and related to the main story-line even the opening when the girl came out late from the toilet before blow-out on the stage and made me think the whole time "why she so dictate" until the peak scene in Act 3 when everyone tell story about themselves.

Even, Benji's story-line whom admired The Troublemaker but failed to join from his characteristic ... all come to peak at the peak scene. It would not WoW at all, If the movie hint about Blumper's careers but it's WoW and not hard to believe because it's always hint with Blumper's characteristic.

On the stage when Benji's show the magic, it would be just cool but no meaningful if it wasn't that his "weird" hobby made him fail to join the group. ... Yes! that was counted.

And this movie great enough to avoid the cliché scene when the lead role get the trophy.