Pitch Perfect (2012) Poster

(2012)

If I could rate this 0 stars, I would.
slackaxe29 August 2013
This movie is an absolute, total, pitiful, dismal, ridiculous waste of time. I cannot possibly believe that anyone enjoys this movie. There is nothing meaningful and important, and the only reaction I have after watching this is the reaction to punch the face of the person nearest to me. I cannot relate to the characters whatsoever, and the story is maybe the weakest thing since my mother's homemade teriyaki sauce. If someone forced me to watch this again, I would gouge my eyeballs out with a spoon to avoid seeing it. Seriously, it's that bad. Never watch this movie. Ever. I cannot believe that there are people who view this as the best movie of all time. I know someone who has watched it at least 12 times and claims that it is her favorite movie. She thinks it is impacting and wonderful. The only impact that was associated with this movie to me was the impact of my fist smashing the disk into several bite sized pieces. I will never watch this movie again as long as I live.
45 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not good enough
bbewnylorac9 February 2015
This movie is a big letdown. Here you have a good cast, a lovely college setting, good costumes and camera-work and great music. I feel the problem is the characters and the script. Intentionally or not, the characters come across as very white-bread and narrow minded. At first I though they were denigrating anyone who was "different" as a way of highlighting that such behaviour is wrong. But actually I think the script is genuinely making fun of anyone who's not a blonde bimbo or jock. Anna Kendrick is sweet but too serious for the lead role of Beca. And her character is too dark. The plot is air thin - guys you've got to give the audience something a bit meatier to chew on. But all that seems to happen is that a group of shrill young women stand around messing up their rehearsals. The End. Great teen movies like Bring It On and Ten Things I Hate About You have some depth and meaning and feeling to balance the goofiness. This movie is pure sugar and that's not good for you.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a piece of crap
abisio29 May 2015
Surprised by the unexpected success of the Pitch Perfect 2; I decided to give a try to the first part. Not that I was planning to see the second but out of curiosity. Let's clarify; I like music but know nothing about the mechanic of it. An acquaintance; well versed in opera, told me that you can get sounds with your mouth and throat than no other instrument can; so the premise of an "a capella" movie must be something interesting.

Well; do not lose you time. There are a few know songs but it is hard to believe the music was not instrumental. Choreographs OK; but not better than GLEE which is free to watch. The story is so full of clichés that the characters predict the outcome. The situations and motivations are absurd; but the resolution are even worse It is really not a surprise since characters are not properly defined; so their behavior change according to the movie needs.

Acting is terrible. Brittany Snow is able to cause empathy follow in a second place by Skylar Astin; but the rest of the cast is awfully forced or uninterested or boring(like Anna Kendrick ). The worse surprise was Rebel Wilson; she is absolutely not funny.

How poorly is this movie directed and scripted that John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Banks are there also (she is one of the producers and future director of the second installment ) like in Greeks plays as "narrators" basically informing us that performance is good or bad.

Again; I know nothing about mechanic of music; but I am pretty sure judges in this kind of competitions evaluate sound quality and originality over modern songs.

In brief; do not lose your time.

In fact; the only the only moment trying to do something smart
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Predictable teen movie
stefanievanwijk15 January 2015
A movie about a tomboy girl who joins a acappela girlgroup which is in a fight with a boygroup. The girl falls in love with a boy, wants to change the boring stigma of the acapella group, gets in a fight with the lead girl (queen B) and has a troubled relationship with her father: all the classical ingredients for a teen movie.

The only reason why I don't give this movie a 1 out of 10 is because of Rebel Wilson: an extremely talented actress who improvised a lot in the movie which made it a little bit more bearable.

Pitch Perfect is just a typical teen movie: predictable jokes, predictable characters and a predictable storyline. So its not a surprise that this movie can be described in one word: predictable.

If you are between the age of 14/16; I'm sure you will enjoy this movie, especially if you haven't seen a lot of these kind of movies. But if you are in your twenties and pretty much watched all of the classical teen movies, this is just a waste of your time.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watch out - you're going to like it whether you want to or not!
penwah25 October 2012
We two 50+ grandmas went to see this film on the spur of the moment because we enjoy musical movies. We were probably the oldest people in the audience which ranged down to younger teens but everyone, regardless of age, was laughing and having a grand time. Much less schmaltzy and self-serious than Glee, but wonderful vocals and dancing and personality. You can't help but fall in love with the hilariously quirky characters, especially Rebel Wilson as the irrepressible Fat Amy, Elizabeth Banks as Gail, the sexually frustrated female announcer, and Hanna Mae Lee as Lilly, the wackadoo who releases the most shocking comments in a voice that barely exceeds a murmur. Fun, feel-good and highly entertaining.
146 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Aca-bysmal
alikhat6 July 2013
The single best thing I came away with after watching this movie was the wild relief I felt knowing that at least I didn't pay to subject myself to it. Some positive word-of-mouth made me curious enough to DVR it. An 81% rating on Rotten Tomatoes got me to sit through the whole thing (albeit with a fair amount of time spent pressing fast-forward), just to see if there was something - ANYTHING - that could justify such an absurdly high score.

Short answer: There wasn't.

I'm given to assume it got its high rating only because the studio wouldn't allow any critics to screen it without first producing proof that they possessed an IQ of 70 or under.

If you read the IMDb synopsis, you know the whole movie. Actually, if you've ever seen any film starring characters under 25, you know the whole movie. There is not a single unique idea to be found within a light year of its sorry script. Comparisons to Glee are inevitable, but the truth is, PP is so utterly dull and witless, so aggressively devoid of joy or humor or anything akin to real human feelings, it makes the worst episode of Glee look like Singin' In The Rain by comparison.

Ostensibly a comedy, the film is mercilessly unfunny. Their idea of hilarity seems to run the gamut from projectile vomiting to juvenile puns like a singing group called "The Minstral Cycles" to inserting "aca" into every exclamatory phrase, like, "Aca-scuse me?!" and "Aca-believe it!". Isn't that funny?! Aren't you just gasping for breath from the amusement of it all? ...Yeah, me neither.

The characters, who are either grotesque, shopworn stereotypes or dull, cardboard cutout caricatures, flap about from scene to scene without ever even accidentally bumping into a real human attribute or emotion. They're also supposed to be in college, but the movie is so bent on regurgitating teen film tropes that nothing they say or do is indicative of a person over 15.

You know your film is bad when you feel compelled to reference other better films to move the story along or motivate your characters. For Pitch Perfect, that other better film is The Breakfast Club, which the 2D heroine's would-be 2D boyfriend regards as the most meaningful thing ever. There's a scene where said heroine (she had a name, but really, who cares?) is sitting on her bed watching the flick on her laptop, tears welling up in her eyes to indicate some grand epiphany ...which, under the circumstances, must be her devastated realization of what a GOOD teen movie looks like.

In sum, this is a film I'd recommend only for use as a torture device on terrorists. Badly written, directed and acted with characters as irritating as a rash and music numbers so awful, even the editor's attempt to slice them into bite-sized bits couldn't make them any more palatable. Funny only for people whose sense of humor atrophied at age five and entertaining only for people who've never seen a movie before. I give this a "1" only because IMDb does not allow me to score in negative numbers.
75 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I would rather perfectly pitch myself off a building than watch this again.
Hello_Im_David27 November 2012
I was never planning on seeing this particular movie after seeing the unfortunate trailer. However, I had heard good things about it from people who's opinions I used to trust. I won't make that mistake again. Pitch Perfect was awesomely terrible. It began innocently enough, but then it quickly devolved into a mash-up of just about every single cliché one can fathom. It has the loner girl who doesn't want to try new things but then she gets involved with a group and she has friends, yay! The girl falls for the guy, but she screws it all up, but don't worry they get back together in the end. The group starts out terrible, but then because of the new girl with fresh ideas they step up and win it all! So many eye rolls in one film!

Even after this, the worst part of the movie has to be the awful sound mixing. The songs are so doctored that one is painfully aware of the actors' lip syncing and it takes you right out of the movie. They could have at least tried to make it sound like the songs were being recorded live, rather then using so much auto tune and other forms of voice manipulation.

Then there were the plethora of jokes throughout that fell so flat it hurts. Some of those jokes were even repeated multiple times, because once wasn't bad enough. At least Rebel Wilson provides a few brief moments of relief from the onslaught of worn out and unfunny jokes.

But, like, that's just my opinion. If you like terrible things like Glee, then you will probably love this movie.
92 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Low point for this genre
mwf-53 March 2013
Spoiler Alert (though hardly necessary for this predictable flick)

If you read IMDb's synopsis, you already know the entire story. It's the "group of teen misfits who band together and win a competition" movie. You've it a dozen times before.

This one has an updated, 2012 soundtrack, but all the other overdone cliché's for this genre are fully intact.

If, however, you find slick, unrealistic, overproduced, a cappella singing to be pure joy (Glee fan?), then you may find this movie tolerable.

On the other hand, if you value your free time, pass this one up. You will be spared several scenes of projectile vomiting, and the "riff-off" (which will likely induce your own nausea).
38 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Probably The Dumbest Movie Ever Made In Movie History **** This Review May Contain Spoilers *****
David Zecua9 August 2013
Oh what to say about this garbage of a movie? Oh yea I wish I were be able to give this movie a 0/10 but due to IMDb I have to give at least a 1. That is how awful and stupid this movie is. The only 2 good things about this movie are the Universal logo and when this movie finally over. Although I haven't really sat through this piece of crap I'm still giving it my review y'all could hate on me but I don't care. Okay, so yea I've only sat through like half hour or so but I had to turn off the TV because it was really stupid and unrealistic in terms of college and probably the worst movie of 2012 that I've seen. This movie is not funny it's stupid and inaccurate when it comes to being in college. The students in the movie are not even carrying any books around, so what do students do in the movie? Do they learn anything? Another thing, the selection of music. The selection of music in this movie is absolutely horrible, I hate modern pop it's really stupid and overrated and they only played that in this movie and with People in this movie messing it up even more now it's even more annoying now and then they try to rap to a throwback from the 80s or 90s, wow really why? That's my jam there and they just messed it up with their annoying ass auto tuned singing voices. Plus this movie is not funny it's dumb, annoying and overrated, critics why are you giving this piece of crap so much credit that it does not deserve at ALL? That goes for people too that suck this movie's dick. Seriously the score for this movie is too high, a 7.2 is way too high for this movie . I'm not even gonna bother finishing this movie, half hour is already a lot of time wasted on this bull-crap, okay Fat Amy is not funny at all people I didn't laugh at her jokes once, because there stupid and unfunny to me and all the rest of the humor in this damn movie is dumb and unfunny. I do not recommend this movie, If you like stupid ass overrated movies or crap like Glee or anything like that you'll like this one but otherwise if you do have common sense, do not waste your valuable hard working time, your time is much much more important than this movie. I would NEVER pay money to even get this on DVD. So yea people don't watch this movie this movie sucks

and is stupidly overrated and over-hyped. Well people if you get mad at me, you should be grateful that I'm saving you from wasting your valuable time from this movie. Well anyway this it people bye have a great day. Please do not your waste your time on Pitch Perfect it is so absolutely God awful.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Offensive, Sloppy and Heartless
stefanpulpitel18 April 2013
Pitch Perfect is certainly a wildly popular movie, that came highly recommended by countless friends and family. I had no idea what it was about beyond 'singing,' so I fired up the DVD player at Château Pulpitel, and eagerly awaited the many laughs I was assured this film would provide.

Now they never really came. This film is as best I can gather, 'Glee: The Movie' with the basic plot elements of your 'Bring it On' style films. So if you love any of that stuff, stop reading now and go watch it. You'll love this film so you needn't bother about my opinions.

Okay, it's just us now, right?

Where this movie falls apart is in two aspects; firstly its complete disinterest in logic pertaining even to its own universe, and more worryingly, it has an offensive attitude that is nothing short of racist, sexist and more suited to your standard right wing attitude in its portrayal of non-Caucasians, Jewish people, people with eating disorders and women in general.

This movie doesn't care about what happened before, or why something is happening now. It's one big Deus ex machina from beginning to end. Why did Ben Platt's' character Benji, turn up as stage manager at the regional sing off event? Everyone else had to drive on the bus to get there. Where was he? Why was he a stage manager at another university, when he is a freshman amateur magician? Why was it that the best way to get rid of Adam Devine's' character Bumper was to have a hastily created scene with him immediately leaving to work with John Mayer- negating any interest in his relationship with Rebel Wilsons' appallingly offensive and unfunny Big Amy character? Why does no one EVER study? THey don't even carry books, or pens, or seem to talk about their subjects! This movie shows us countless avenues of interest and then never refer to them again. It sets up characters and dumps them never to be seen again. We are shown four acapella groups, one of which NEVER does anything, at all! Why bother with all of these settings if you never refer to it again? Because no one cared that much, would be my guess.

More shamefully however, is the constant prejudicial attitudes displayed in this film. This movie attempts to be funny by being daring, and outrageous. So we get not one, but two Asian characters who are simply awful stereotypes. One is a racist angry dorm- mate with the main protagonist, who manages to be an unlikeable bitchy Asian stereotype. The other is a 'crazy Asian' stereotype, who is a pyromaniac who rolls around in vomit. You know, because Asians can't be complex and meaningful. They are either bitchy nerds of perverts. We aren't allowed to hear non-white characters speak too much either- our token black character gets around 4 lines (you can't count the singing, because its all clearly auto tuned and added in post) but gets to be a problem gambling lesbian. But there's no motivation given, no reasoning. And after the moment of confession, NO ONE CARES. Maybe it's because she is black? The script writers were right to think that you can do great joke about racist stereotypes, but they missed the concept that you make fun of the behaviour and attitudes of racism, and expose the ridiculousness of it. What they do here is reinforce stereotypes, which should not be amusing for empathetic, caring members of the human race. But we plough deeper into this morass, with obesity, bulimia and deafness copping a serve. I strongly feel that no subject is off limits for humour, but you need to be funny. Making fun of Deaf Jews, Lesbians and Asians is not the same as being funny.

I found this to be a fairly heartless film, where morality and heart are irrelevances, and not one that I could recommend to others. This is not what comedy should be, if we're a truly civilised people.
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It has been years since I have seen a movie that I had such low expectations for...
somf15 September 2012
That I loved so much. I scored free tickets to a Denver Screening awhile back and was just going to have my wife and 13 year old daughter go , but I watched the trailer and really thought Anna Kendrick was terrific in 50/50 and very good in Up in the Air so I thought, what the heck, I'm going too. Was I glad that I did. I laughed like crazy and loved the a capella singing. This film is really raunchy and just skirts around an R rating several times, but it is just so fun.

I am pretty confident that it is going to be the surprise box office hit of the fall and it is so much better than the films that it is bound to be compared to like Mean Girls, Bring it On, and even Bridesmaids.

Speaking of Bridesmaids Rebel Wilson almost steals the show with every scene that she is involved with being hilarious, and in a lesser movie her scenes most certainly would be worth paying the price of admission alone, but there are so many other talents involved. Elizabeth Banks has never been funnier. Skylar Astin as the love interest is also terrific though he needs to change his name, because for me the name Skylar brings only one thing to mind and she is married to Walter White.

This is no Oscar Winner, I am certain that I will see a dozen or so better movies this year, but none will having me laughing and smiling as much.
114 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Where's the musical?
Philipe1414 May 2015
Lots of fans could hardly wait for the sequel to come out, and now that it's here, I went back and watched PP again to see if I missed something. Nope, all that junk is still there. I was hoping to see a musical, but a vapid teen/college comedy showed up instead with a sprinkling of "music" in it. Most of the major roles were occupied by actors closer to 30 than college age at the time the movie was made. The music is spotty, at best, and the lip-syncing/dubbing is terrible. A lot of "fat girls are funny" humor involving Rebel Wilson's character (can she actually do comedy, or just Funny Fat Girl stuff?) And when they resort to vomit humor more than once, you know a movie is short on writing talent. The only bright spot is Anna Kendrick, and her solo with that coffee mug. I can hardly wait for PP2 to come out - - - at the $2 video rental box, it's a sequel I can wait for....
36 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who knew that a movie about collegiate music could be so classless?
jillvesta1612 August 2013
Once again, I find myself in the minority, but aca-believe it - I didn't enjoy Pitch Perfect.

Pitch Perfect has no storyline. It is a droning Cinderella story minus the charm, and based on that knowledge, you won't be surprised when the Barden Bellas (yes, that's their real and extremely uncreative name) finally pull out a win in the college acapella contest against their sworn "enemies" after the proverbial mean stepsister gets out of the way.

It has some corny quotes, some of which are funny but can easily be dug up on Pinterest or IMDb. You'll find the same amount of amusement in just reading them, and you can skip the crude "humor" and barfing scenes too! Many PG-13 films I have watched are rather mild and the upped rating is primarily a marketing tactic. This is not one of them. There's some pretty risqué content in this one, so NO, Pitch Perfect is not a cute and harmless movie about a collegiate singing contest. Neither is it really about college or going to class, but maybe Barden is just a hangout for disenfranchised and clichéd misfits and not really a location for education.

Fat Amy is somewhat likable but the rest of the one-sided characters are nearly excruciating to watch. Characters are supposed to be the center of a movie in which there is no action, and all I got was a bunch of singing contest commentary and a headache from the absolute meaninglessness and vapidity of this film. I'm disappointed.

Unless you are trapped on a bus and forced to watch this movie (like yours truly was), you can easily skip it. Even if you are trapped on a bus and forced to watch this movie, just look out the window and listen to the music instead. The music is (kind of) enjoyable. However, nothing will beat your own pair of headphones or some earplugs.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny's Cousin
Melissaslist29 December 2012
I watched this on cable last night. My friend who suggested we watch it told me she'd heard from many that it was very funny. I did not think it was funny at all. We watched about half of it (maybe the good parts were in the second half?) Doubtful.

As soon as the girl projectile vomited I just sorta knew it was going to be awful. NOT because I don't like silly humor. Actually I love it...when it's done right. But this in my opinion was just done wrong and I did not laugh once whereas clearly this was meant to be a comedy. I loved Rebel Wilson in Bridesmaids. She was hilarious. I was hoping she would make this more entertaining but that was not the case.

I don't know what it is with Hollywood lately. It's either vampires or glee club. Its a little too much already. I would have liked to have watched this movie with people who claimed it was hilarious and have them explain to me what about it was funny. I just did not see it at all.
37 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Aca-pathetic
OrsonLannister10 October 2012
Most of the people I saw Pitch Perfect with truly enjoyed it. They laughed and clapped and booed at me when I expressed my disgust. For many, this movie will definitely be enjoyable. Make no mistake, that does not make it any less of an awful movie.

Several factors contribute to my low opinion of Pitch Perfect. The largest of these concerns is the cast of characters. While there are few complaints in the acting department, the characters themselves are among the worst set of "people" committed to screen in recent memory.

"Beca" (is that spelling supposed to be hip or something?) is an arrogant, brooding, selfish brat who spends most of her time sulking on her computer and complaining about being forced to go to COLLEGE and be with PEOPLE (blegh, right?!). This is a perfect setup for character development, right? Wrong. After a half-hearted apology for being a terrible human being before the climax, Beca morphs not into an upstanding social and moral butterfly, but a smug leader of the troop she so recently was kicked off of, and this is the image the audience is left with.

"Jesse" is the most cliché love interest one can imagine. Seriously, girls, if you ever meet a guy this perfect and blameless, marry him. Jesse prances throughout the movie being sweet to everybody, from his unrealistically nerdy roommate to the jerks he sings with. He pursues Beca valiantly for no particular reason and provides the cliché moral criticism Beca so desperately needs late in the movie (but of course he takes her back). While girls might be enthralled by this sentiment, no true development can occur through a character who is so blatantly one-dimensional.

Worst of all are the two commentators for the sing-offs, Gail and John. These two buffoons spew dialogue that is not only shockingly inappropriate for television/radio, they simply aren't funny. While clearly trying to channel Fred Willard's comedic performance from Best in Show, the pair instead come across as amusing as your drunk middle-aged parents at a frat party.

Other character "highlights" include the mind-bogglingly narrow-minded and stubborn team leader, Aubrey. Stacie provides the necessary college-aged sex-addicted tramp character (a character so over-the-top, you're guaranteed to squirm). Bumper (the captain of the boy's singing team) is a character so insanely arrogant and rude that he is not only hard to enjoy watching, he makes you want to kill every jock on the planet. Slowly.

The movie's second fatal flaw is its achingly stupid sense of humor. Yes, boys and girls, Fat Amy is funny. She has several good one liners and lends the movie its only spark of humor-related vitality. However, all else falls flat. The most achingly obvious example is the vomit-laden climax. Seriously, was that girl doing vomit-angels supposed to funny? I guess I just don't get it.

Also, for a PG-13 flick aimed at mostly female tweens, Pitch Perfect is surprisingly offensive. The movie takes heavy jabs at nerds, Asian people, Jewish people, redheads, and probably more that I fail to recall at the moment (not to mention several distasteful jokes like the one about eating another baby in the womb). Seriously, filmmakers, you aren't Sacha Baron Cohen, and you don't have the same audience.

Finally, the movie follows the most cliché (I like this word, don't I?) storyline imaginable. Girl has trouble in college. Girl meets boy who befriends her. Girl joins team of has-beens. Girl pushes away boy away because of her past and her daddy issues. Girl forced off team. Girl "learns lesson" and wins boy back and helps team of has-beens win championship. Yay, ingenuity!

Ultimately, the comedic sparks from the humorous character Fat Amy can not save Pitch Perfect. I'll be honest, this movie completely lost at the vomit scene(even Miss March was more tasteful than that!) I was quite aca-thankful when the movie came to its (very abrupt) ending.
139 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Crazy Funny!!!
dragora11613 July 2012
Take Bring It On, Glee (not in the icky cheesy way, but because there's singing involved, the good kind), Mean Girls, and add some quick-witted, sharp-tongued dialogue and commentary, and you have the funniest of movies.

At first I was leery: a movie about A Cappella singing groups; I thought at best, it would be a teen flick. Yes, I know, Anna Kendrick. But bigger (some better) names have made some doozies. But, I was unbelievably surprised. Every kind of humour is covered here, and done to absolute perfection. You will be adopting many, many of the lines into your daily lexicon.

For me, Rebel Wilson (as Fat Amy) and Elizabeth Banks (as Gail, the commentator) have some of the most hysterically smart lines ever committed to celluloid (right up there with Young Frankenstein).

Loved it.
145 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Like a movie made out of weaker Glee episodes
With the everywhere-talked-about release of the sequel to this 2012 movie, I thought it was high time finally give the original a watch. It proved not a good idea. The humor in here basically includes the level of vomiting, terrible word plays about penetration and menstrual cycles. This is a 105-minute movie directed by Jason Moore and written by Kay Cannon based on Mickey Rapkin's novel. Cannon returned for the sequel, Moore did not. Instead they went with Elizabeth Banks as director and she has a common past with Cannon, who is mostly famous for writing "30 Rock" episodes. I quite like this television series, so i was really baffled how bad her writing for this film here was. Anna Kendrick is an actress I actually quite like. She has charisma, looks and talent, a combination which is not too common these days. And she tried her best so that her performance could make up for many other flaws with this movie, but in the end it just wasn't enough. The script is just too bad. They start the film with giving Beca's main rival in the group a moment as embarrassing as it gets, so we could dislike her right away and prefer Kendrick's character. Rebel Wilson is like a younger Melissa McCarthy with the difference that she is entirely unfunny. I mentioned bad plays on words earlier and there are more of these. The repeated use of "aca-scuse me" was a negative highlight. Another flaw with this film was the ridiculous idea to include a guidebook according to which the singers were not allowed to have relationships with the guys from the rivaling men-only singers group.

I said in the title that there are some connection with Glee and it is true. They picked band members of all kinds of ethnicities, of all kinds of sexual preferences and of all kinds of body shapes, only they did not elaborate on it any further really. Basically, we know nothing about any of the character's except Kendrick's and that is quite an achievement for a film which has so many characters and runs for not too much under two hours. A very very negative achievement. One of the very few positive things about this film is the music, which wasn't as bad as the rest really. However, the band's final performance which apparently blew everybody away did not particularly wow me. I was pretty disappointed by this film. I hope Kendrick's next projects will be better. She showed us a couple times in the past that she is one of the best actresses from her generation, but movies like this one here do not do her justice. Not even close. Not recommended.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What "Glee" Wishes it Could Be.
Markus Emilio Robinson7 October 2012
"Pitch Perfect" is basically "Bring It On", but with a cappella singing groups instead of cheerleaders…and it's also a million times funnier. Directed by Jason Moore and adapted by Kay Cannon from Mickey Rapkin's novel, "Pitch Perfect" tells the story of Beca (played by Anna Kendrick) an aspiring DJ attending Barden University, who's hobbies include seclusion, nonconforming and listening to Mashups (which kind of makes her a conformist). In an attempt to have Beca become more socially active, her father (who is also a professor at the University) urges her to join a club on campus. But upon perusing each club (especially the glee clubs) she quickly decides that the loner lifestyle is far less humiliating. That is, until a rather awkwardly nude run-in with one of the members of the The Bellas, an all-girl a cappella group on campus that sings nothing but Ace of Base. And since The Bellas are coming off of an embarrassing loss at the previous year's singing competition, Beca, as well as a multitude of other "a ca-losers"; including Fat Amy (as advertized) and Lilly, the girl who can apparently speak no higher than a whisper, are asked to try out in a desperate hope that a group of misfits could be just the thing that sends the conservative Bellas all the way to the finals of the national Glee-esque competition. And if this doesn't sound generic enough, there is also a love story subplot centered around Beca and a guy who looks shockingly like Dane Cook. OK, so if this sounds like every teen flick that you've ever seen, about a misunderstood misfit who ends up helping the popular kids (that were mean to her in the beginning of the movie) win their something-or-other championship/tournament, only to discover that in the end that they are all the same no matter their social standing, then that is only because, from synopsis alone, "Pitch Perfect is exactly that. But before you write this dark horse off, let me just say that due to a sharply satirical script and a surprisingly hilarious, eccentric and immensely engaging cast, which include the likes of Brittany Snow, Hana Mae Lee, Rebel Wilson (as Fat Amy) Skylar Astin and Anna Kendrick, giving a performance which not only solidifies herself as a true leading lady in any genre, but also as the new Kristen Bell, but with talent, "Pitch Perfect" does elevate itself far above the mundane-ness of your everyday teen comedy. In fact, from the non-stop laughs, to the quite satirical teenage dialogue, to the perfectly hilarious "Best in Show"-esque banter from Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins, who play the two commentators of the national a cappella competition, "Pitch Perfect", aside from a curiously abrupt ending, works on EVERY level; even in its rarest of sappy moments.

"Pitch Perfect" vs. "Glee": The main reason "Pitch Perfect" works so well is actually quite simple. Where "Glee" is so in love with its self-proclaimed perception that glee clubs are the new "cool", this is a comedy that isn't afraid to make fun of a cappella groups, glee clubs and people randomly breaking out into song, while at the same time presenting interesting characters that audiences want to root for. So, if you where thinking of avoiding this film on the basis of your dislike of "Glee" (or that awful show "The Sing-Off") but find yourself being dragged to see it anyways, no need to worry because chances are you will be happily surprised by what "Pitch Perfect" has to offer.

Final Thought: Even though most of the comedy here is on the cruder side, this is still a PG-13 venture. In short, "Pitch Perfect" is not the raunchy female buddy comedy, filled with overlong skits about feces that "Bridesmaids" was. But good news…"Pitch Perfect" is so much more funny and (more importantly) more accessible than "Bridesmaids" will ever be. What I mean by "accessible" is, men will be able to watch this movie without hearing the phrase: "You wouldn't get it because you're a man." All kidding aside, I haven't seen a comedy with this much clever teenage personality since "Easy A". So, in the comedic cesspool that has been 2012, filled with half-assed attempts such as "That's My Boy" and "The Watch", "Pitch Perfect" is not only my pick for the biggest surprise to come out of the genre this year, but also the funniest movie of the year (so far); narrowly edging out "21 Jump Street".

Written by Markus Robinson, Edited by Nicole I. Ashland

Follow me on Twitter @moviesmarkus
75 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Disaster
jstreis31 March 2013
Another reviewer stated: "...Rebel Wilson plays an amazing part and has given the Mean Girls script a run for their money..." I immediately felt the need to speak up and say that this movie is not even in the same category as Mean Girls. Mean Girls is meant to be ironic and satiric. Pitch Perfect was meant to be a plain ol' comedy, but whatever, that's beside the point.

The Music: Cliché, stupid, lame - they tried to put some throwbacks in there, but apparently no one knows about music that existed before the 80s. The movie tries to make the "mash-up" a hip new thing. It's not. People have been making mash-ups since music began. What do you think a medley is? Calm down. The lip- syncing was SO obvious and I could hear the audio engineer pitch correcting every singer.

The Acting: It wasn't bad. But my next point is...

The Writing: The plot was old and overused. The characters were exaggerated to the point where I wasn't sure if they were part of the joke or if I was supposed to take them seriously. The jokes sucked and were sort of racist. Rebel Wilson's lines weren't even that good, but her presence was sort of nice.

I get it. A writer tried to cash in on a profitable idea, and it worked. What I don't understand is all the rave reviews this crap got. Was it because a bunch of older men wrote reviews about hot young actresses? That's my best guess. (See Lena Dunham's girls.) I'll never know. What I do know is that I could not watch the whole thing and I had to turn it off.
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Aca-mazing. Truly enjoyed Pitch Perfect.
taylordemski12 September 2012
I absolutely loved this movie. Saw an advanced screening and the entire theater was laughing and clapping throughout the movie! Refreshing to see a comedy and musical combo. A lot like Glee (minus the cheesy factor) mixed with witty comedy like in Bridesmaids and other modern popular comedies. Great casting! Any college girl is bound to love it. This is a movie even my mom would enjoy. It held my interest throughout and i think it was well produced. My boyfriend even enjoyed the comedy aspect of it! A great girls night out movie choice or even a date night movie. I feel like overall everybody loved it, I definitely did. I hope this movie earns the recognition it deserves. Its going to be a hit among young audiences like myself!
113 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
good and bad takes turns in this one...
Dominik Schlatter27 April 2013
The problem of this movie is that there are some very good scenes and some horrible ones. Let's have a look at it, shall we?

The good: The romance between Anna and Skylar was set up nicely. The scenes in the radio studio were cute. The acapella performances were cool. (I'm no expert) The super-nerd who is finally allowed to join the group and turns out to be really good. Nice.

The bad: - I don't like Rebel Wilson as a comedian. Even though her character had some killer lines, she delivers them with little comic timing or joy. (Let me clarify the term "joy": The character she plays is not a cheerful one. I get it. But have you seen Kevin Spacey in Horrible Bosses? Now there's an actor who enjoys his work. Or Melissa Mc Carthy in Identity Thief? See what I mean?) I don't understand why people think she's funny. But that's just my (very) personal opinion. - Some ideas of the movie are half-baked at best. Like for example Anna Camps character. The entire movie she behaves like a jerk and at the end the're all friends. Just like that. I expected more of this conflict. Or the arrogant DJ who doesn't listen to Becas music. Then he does listen to it and thinks it's good. What happens then? What about Becas DJ career?? - The Bellas are pretty boring (performance wise) 90% of the movie. Then they come up with crazy-genius performance for the finals. Out of the blue!! Wouldn't they have had to practice for this? Seemed pretty complex to me, considering how they sucked as a group before. - The group is the usual mix of clichés. We have a colorful mix of people. But none of them really matters.

The ugly: - Some elements are just plain stupid. The Asian girl of the group has no voice, but gets picked for the team. They had an audition, man! What was the point of that? Then her character utters these ridiculous nonsense one-liners here and there. She appears to be a total sociopath, but everybody is OK with this? Please... - Becas roommate is (again: for no reason at all) really hostile and unfriendly. We get no explanation. It makes no sense and should not be in the movie. That's bad and sloppy story telling.

So all in all it's a decent movie that has some scenes that sort of ruin everything and prevent it from being a really good movie.

Pity!
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Musical done right
kgmarra14 October 2012
This new comedic musical is right on pitch. Anna Kendrick plays Beca, a student at Barden University whose dream is to move to LA and become a DJ. Beca is uninterested in college, to say the least. Her father is a professor at her school and he advises her to join clubs to get more involved. Beca starts to work at the school radio station along with her admirer, Jesse (Skylar Astin).

When Beca's voice is heard by Chloe (Brittany Snow), one of the main girls of The Barden Bellas a capella group, Beca is recruited into this singing group. Jesse ends up joining the rival all-boys a capella group called The Treble Makers.

Beca soon realizes that The Bellas need some new music in order to improve their reputation and make it to the finals. However, the leader of the group, Aubrey (Anna Camp), is quite headstrong and refuses to change their music. The tension between these girls and The Treble Makers continues to grow and everything begins to unfold.

Walking into this movie with very low expectations, I definitely was pleasantly surprised. It is a musical done right. There is no breaking out into song; the only time people sing is during competitions. In fact, the music is terrific and I can't wait to download the entire soundtrack.

I was expecting slapstick comedy, especially with Rebel Wilson in the cast, but "Pitch Perfect" rests at the borderline. Speaking of Rebel, this movie would be nothing without her. Hilarious lines mixed with her perfect comedic timing equals a workout for your abs. It comes very close to stupidity but it doesn't quite cross the line.

"Pitch Perfect" is cute, silly, and fun. If you're looking for some laughs, take a watch. I give it a 7 out of 10.
51 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Predictability personified
spitfire235614 August 2013
I simply love acapella music, I might be actually interested in a soundtrack if the songs sampled are actually full-length.

BUT - the predictability of this movie is simply unbelievable at all levels: the plot, the ethnicity and sexual choice of 'misfits', the 'romance', the twist, the ending. You name it you have it and more. The characters are cartoons of the flat B&W sketched type. I am not a big fan of political correctness but the jokes when not 'punny' where quite offensive to many people. I'm beginning to suspect that it may have been generated by a free smart phone app. This best-before 80's formula self-describes when one girl enjoys wallowing in another's vomit.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Something Special
rivertam2628 September 2012
I didn't want to like it. Despite what you may think I don't want to like movies like this . I hate myself for it. But there's such an overwhelming charm when things are executed just right and I just can't help it. Pitch Perfect centers on Becca played the emerging star Anna Kendrick (in a role which will solidify her status if it its as big as it deserves ) a freshman at college. Her father is a professor and she's angsty and rebellious. After a brief set up we enter the unknown world of acapella singing, Which is singing with no instruments. Apparently a huge thing at this college and we meet different groups there well 2 mostly the troublemakers an all male group that always slays the competition and the Bellas who churn out the same old fashioned nonsense and are recovering from a year that didn't end well to say the least. After some persuasion Becca joins the Bellas looking to add some of her much needed zest to liven up the competition.I'm sure you can guess what happens and it's no lie that the film is formulaic in that way. However, the approach to the material is what differentiates it. It's handled with an original, saucy, smart originality. it doesn't downplay it's focus but instead celebrates it in all it's corny glory. The film takes a little getting used to but about half way through i was so sold on all the wonderful characters and the films undeniable charm. Filled with exciting musical numbers and solid performances from Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy, the adorable Skylar Kenstin as Beccas love interest and so many others Pitch perfect is something truly special. Not to say t's flawless it's a little amateur in spots and Brittany Snow's character feels a little confusing. But it's easy to overlook the small stuff when the film is so entertaining.
69 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overrated and gross
kristofen14 September 2014
How this got rated higher than Mean Girls is beyond me. At least Mean Girls managed to be raw without losing its class. Pitch Perfect was so desperate for cheap laughs its cringe worthy. I actually watched it with a group of friends, one actually fell asleep and the others weren't laughin, or at least not at the movie. First of all, (if i remember correctly) a bunch of misfits join a choir to go against a rival group. Okay, where did they even come up with this idea? A UNIVERSITY choir so desperate for members they pick ALL weird girls. But I digress, thats not the worst. Just the immaturity of the plot all throughout. Rivalries like that don't exist, normally people move on and don't dwell on the fact they were teased. Who are they to them anyway? Its just a bunch of pranks and childish competition from adults. And if Anna Kendricks character was supposed to be an average boring girl then they did a perfect job with her. The humor was just gross, the girl throwing up and then having the whistle land in there ughh I almost puked. And the Asian girl saying "I ate my twin in the womb" thats not funny! Or relatable. This is what I mean by "desperate". Then the scene with the puppets singing "F. U. F U very much" OH HO HO is funny becas she said eff you OH! I cannot quote anything except for fat amy talking about her nickname, whereas i can quote almost every scene in mean girls "you go Glen Coco!". There's not that many funny girls' movies out there so there's not much to compare it to. But this movie further emphasizes why there's not that many funny girls' movies out there...The only reason this got a one is because of the effort in the music and choreography. If you like fart jokes and pop songs then this is the perfect movie for you.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this