IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Super Shallow

Author: adrijdin from Canada
7 June 2015

I am giving this movie 5 stars (instead of say, 1) because it was watchable enough to hold my interest, some of the singing scenes were fun, and the characters were all right. I understand that this movie is aimed at the tween set and the need to go "a bit deeper" wasn't really seen. That being said, this movie was extremely surface level - it doesn't have the makings of the classic I thought it might be based on its level of popularity, and what's sad about that is that it did have the ingredients.

The main problem with this movie was that it wasn't SATISFYING. Part of the thrill of movies like this is that the mean characters finally get what they deserve or learn their lesson, and the hard work or effort of the more likable characters finally pays off in a triumphant series of scenes, but that just doesn't happen to any of the "bad guys" (I use that term loosely) in this film, and when the various climaxes hit, it was very hard for me to truly give a crap. The little bit of depth required to take this movie into the realm of "memorable" just wasn't put in. The result of this is that we don't care as much as we could, and a feeling of vague annoyance permeated my overall enjoyment while I was watching. I do understand that this is supposed to be a light, fun movie, but I'm sorry, there are dozens of classic light, fun movies (including those aimed at a younger audience) that have that WEE bit of substance that make them truly affecting and inherently non-shallow. The film tries to teach lessons, but ends up sending very mixed messages. Thus, the movie is shallow, and that is different from being light. Not only that, but the storyline was fairly weak (though the premise was pretty good, although there are plenty of affecting movies with fairly weak story lines, so that is not the main problem for me) and the dialogue at points was truly the opposite of terrific (again, that is not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it didn't help matters).

SPOILERS:

Examples of bad guys not getting what they deserved: a) Aubrey. She is the perfectionist leader of the group who refuses change, and there are many, many scenes with her bossing around (and being a total B*TCH to) Chloe, Beca and the girls. We spend the whole movie waiting for her to "get hers" but guess what, it never really happens. Whenever Beca tries to stand to Aubrey, it is so weak it is practically out of character, and no one ever really backs her up. So finally there is a very weak scene in which it all the girls finally decide to *kind of* stand up against Aubrey, (which is begun when Chloe FINALLY takes a stand against the abuse, and we are totally robbed of the satisfaction because Fat Amy directs her "stop fighting, guys!" at CHLOE and not Aubrey?!?) it ends in a ridiculous group fight complete with Lilly making angel wings in Aubrey's vomit. What the heck? Yes, the troop changes and tries something new and wins as a result, but I found it extraordinarily unsatisfying, and the climax utterly fails to penetrate the heart.

b) Bumper. This is the leader of the Bellas' rival a Capella troop the Treblemakers, who is a gigantic buffoon. This guy insults and dismisses people constantly, but instead of getting any payback he turns out to be the most successful guy in the whole movie, exiting upon getting some kind of audition in LA. Um, excuse me? So being a ruthless jerk that doesn't care about people and throws burritos at people from a moving vehicle is your ticket to success. Is that it?

c) Beca's Dad. Yes, we get it, she is super rude to him and wants nothing to do with him because he and her mom got a divorce. Even though they eventually reconcile, I was still expecting there to be some back story that explains why he doesn't seem to care that she is obviously extremely hurt over their divorce. On the flip side, he also doesn't get the apology he deserves from her, either. Final scene with them: completely unsatisfying. Light. Fluffy. Whatever.

d) Beca herself. She treats the guy that loves her (and that deep down inside she also loves) like crap for scene after scene, and gets on his case for doing wonderful things to help her. He *finally* stands up for himself, and it is slightly satisfying, but um, still, not really. But out of all the examples, this one was the most well-done, thankfully. I actually did enjoy the dynamic between Jesse & Beca and thought it was one of the best aspects of the movie, cliché as it was.

That aside, it wasn't funny, although I believe it was intended to be. I myself have found plenty of movies really funny when the critics say they weren't, etc. so this could be a personal thing, but I didn't laugh once. (I am the type to laugh at barf and farting and diarrhoea in movies, so I'm not THAT hard to please in this department.) But anyway, the example that stands out the most is the banter between competition commentators Gail and John-- it was bizarrely non-witty and unfunny, whereas this could have been the best part of the movie. For instance, another one of this movie's ultra-weakly executed lessons was to show that "girls can do it, too" and that ties into John's (and Gail's) anti-girl attitudes and comments. However, there's no payoff at the end. The girls finally do something original. Gail tells John he's a misogynist. John doesn't appear to care, or to have leaned his lesson, based on admitting they did a good job.

Dats all folks.

Oh Deat God I love soda pop

Author: Borden Stephens from Canada
3 June 2015

God if you're squeamish, don't watch this film. The vomiting in this movie is just, it's just too much. Especially the climax where she throws up everywhere is just absolutely gross and disgusting, it's not funny in the slightest, I could barely eat the entire day. The comedy is really cheap and the jokes are absolutely awful, I only gave this a 3 to be nice. Fat Amy is probably the best character in the entire film, which is decent, she was pretty good in Night at the Museum, which was great, but this isn't Night at the Museum, this is Pitch

Perfect, bitch! If you get turned on by puke, then oh BOY do I HAVE a movie for you. So Ya, eggplants suck, Believe in the Shield.

Doesn't live up to the hype

Author: Brenda Christie from Brazil
17 April 2013

I was really excited to watch this movie, I like Anna Kendrick and everyone had amazing things to say about this. I'm not a fan of musicals at all, I always skip the singing parts in movies. But I actually liked the performances in this. I'd never buy the soundtrack but the performances didn't bore or annoy the hell out of me. The first half of the movie was way more enjoyable than the second part. Anna Camp's character was getting on my nerves, and the conflicts with the Bellas ended up going on and on and it was so obvious how it would end up, and I was just annoyed and waiting for them to get the hell over it and skip to the part where they all listen to Beca. The film is highly predictable, you can guess everything that is gonna happen 10 minutes into the movie. Because of this, I was getting impatient waiting for things that I knew would happen, to finally happen. The movie had quite a few moments, but I wouldn't watch it again. I understand why people would enjoy this movie and look pass its flaws though. It wasn't the great movie I was expecting, but I don't regret watching it either. 6/10

Looking a bit tired there...

Author: Rich Wright
20 September 2013

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that this film wouldn't even exist if not for Glee. We have a team of misfit girls including a gay one, a fat one, a quiet psychopath, a projectile vomiter etc. who take on professional singing harmony groups in a contest. They start off terrible, and are the laughing stock of the school. But gradually, when the leader of this kooky troupe realises that OTHER PEOPLE'S ideas besides hers could work, and when they APPRECIATE THEIR OWN UNIQUE SKILLS while BONDING AS A UNIT, things start to click. Then come the final contest... they finish last before killing themselves. I kid, I kid.

There is a tune in this movie called The Cup Song in which an auditionee for the competition improvises using only a beaker to perform a catchy little ditty. This has quickly become a much imitated fad on Youtube, with many wannabees trying (and usually failing) to copy the scene. It's a shame then, that the rest of the screenplay is as predictable as Katie Price's latest pregnancy, being stuffed full of obvious jokes and hoary old plot devices. The production numbers are good, even show-stopping in some cases, but is that enough to recommend it? Not really.

Still, if you're young and haven't yet been rendered a cynical Statler and Waldorf clone by this strange, cruel world, you might be able to enjoy it more. To which I respond by saying: I don't envy your taste, but can I have your youth?! 5/10

Funny but Problematic

Author: acheck-72629
6 June 2015

Great film aside from the racism (against Asians), sexism (slut shaming), and homophobia (against lesbians). Let's start with the racism - the Asian roommate almost never speaks, only has Asian friends, calls the main character "white girl", and is the only one (along with her friends) depicted playing video games. The Asian character that is in the "Bellas" speaks so softly you can't hear her, and says she ate her twin in the womb. The only possible joke here is one based on the stereotype of Asians as meek, and it is both unfunny and confusing.

Next, the sexism. The film focuses on women in a largely positive light, but there are still harmful undertones lurking throughout. Women are kicked out of their troupe for having sex with members of competing troupes, but the men are not subject to the same punishment. This could just be an over the top description of reality (and fits the troupe leader's character), but when coupled with the remaining character who "has sex a lot" and admits it as if it is a bad thing, it seems more problematic.

Finally the homophobia. Really not a fear of gays, but rather a distasteful mocking of them. The members of the troupe are constantly wondering if the character played by the black actress is a ~lesbian~ like it is some taboo subject and something to laugh at. Then, when she admits that she has a gambling problem, and later reveals she is a lesbian, the other characters seem to get some type of weird joy like "OMG we knew she was gay the whole time!" Literally the whole (unfunny and dragged out) joke was that this character was lesbian. Ha. Ha.

The rest of the movie was pretty funny. Without these three unfunny, problematic, and hurtful lines of "comedy", I would probably rate it as an 8/10.

Chick-flick that will either annoy or amuse you.

Author: ConsultingHobbitExtractors
6 March 2015

Since I didn't like this movie very much, I'll give it a less biased overview first, then talk about what I personally disliked in it in the back half. This is a very strong chick-flick comedy. I haven't seen very many movies like this since it's not really my scene, but I suppose the producers did a decent job with the movie. They included some rising stars that will probably be remembered for this movie. The film is memorable with lots of things to replicate and quote such as the aca- prefix and the cup beat. So in that regard, the filmmakers did their job well.

Even though I didn't appreciate the comedy, I suppose it was well scripted and acted with decent proficiency. The characters, though, were a bit more of a problem. It seemed to me like most of them were poorly written. Almost every character either acts like a jerk or is put in a position where they are laughed at because of being a certain stereotype or whatever (e.g. Cynthia Rose being lesbian, Benji's nerdy magic acts). They are, however, redeemed by having very distinct personalities. The only characters that I feel are exceptions to the previous statement are Fat Amy and Chloe. Fat Amy is able to generate humor without being mean or picked. This holds true for Chloe as well, though her character has below average depth and personality. However, Chloe is rather pivotal in the eventual transformation of the Bella group. I'll touch lightly on the other three main characters/groups of the movie, being Aubry, Beca, and the Trebles. Aubry is basically an antagonist for most of the movie, and is pretty hateable, and potentially annoying, but her obstinacy in retaining the Bellas' tradition was insufficiently explained. Beca has a detectable personality, but her character has relatively little depth, and she's rather unlikable and too easily irritated as main characters go. This especially detracts from her character since she basically becomes leader of the Bellas toward the end and hasn't really connected with the other girls in the group, though she has gained their respect and sympathy. Lastly, the rival Treble Makers are the main villains and have three key characters of Bumper, Donald, and Jesse. Jesse becomes kind of a protagonist and is more likable than the other Trebles since he tries to ingratiate himself with Beca. Bumper is a character that you can hate without trying, which is good since he's a villain. Donald, which is the Treble with glasses and a lot of screen time, fits the cinematic a Capella guy mold of dorky and annoying, which is established early in the movie.

The storyline is set up like a sports movie, and this is mostly accounted for by the various a Capella competitions throughout. It's fairly predictable, like lots of sports films though this is fictional and comedic of course, and there aren't any surprise ending style elements. The humor seems to be fairly mainstream female comedy, though my knowledge in that field is limited so don't take that as fact. There's a fair amount of sexual jokes and such in it, accounting for the PG-13 rating. There are also a number of running gags that mostly pertain to the characters (e.g. Aubry's vomiting at the beginning of the film). Beca's being promoted to leader of the Bellas near the end was kind of corny and inconsistent with Aubry's character, but they made the scene into a joke so that kind of made up for it.

That's about it for the unbiased portion of the review. I'll try to keep my opinions fairly brief in this back half. This movie did not really fit my personality. I wouldn't have chosen to see it and definitely wouldn't have chosen to sit through it. The only reason I did either is because I felt like I owed my brother for having him go to Battle of Five Armies, and he said I could pay him back by sitting through this. As I said before, I felt like the characters were all either picked on or were jerks throughout. The comedy wasn't really that palatable to me, so that caused me to have more of a problem with the smaller issues of the movie throughout. I can understand why other people enjoy it, but it just doesn't have the same affect on me. Most of the characters were really annoying, especially when they involved the Trebles, the two competition announcers, or the aca- prefix. I was considering having "Pretty aca-nnoying" as part of my headline, but there are enough of those already, so there's no point. In short, nothing from the first installment makes me want to go and see the sequel that's coming out in a month or so.

You can watch this under almost any number of circumstances. It's fine to see it on your own. You can watch clips of it and enjoy each individual scene. It's good to watch with a bunch of friends since there's not really any big plot points that will be missed if you don't catch a few lines. So while, I hated this movie, I suppose it's worth a shot for anyone looking for a decently executed comedy. Overall Rating: 4.2/10.

not good enough

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
22 August 2015

Beca joins her college a Capella group in order to get more socialized. I have heard too many things about pitch perfect, but watching it now seems like going back to those old good glee days. The new window that glee had opened for musicals and social school mainly matters, with the outcasts being the main focus, is, now days, too over run. So pitch perfect is nothing original. It can bring back memories of high school musical even. Some of the scenes were funny, except from the puking. I mean, after the first scene, the constant reminder of it and its repetition is just annoying. For the rest of the movie, things are just too predictable that you can guess what will happen from the fist few minutes of the movie. So 3 for pitch perfect.

Not funny and not about singing

Author: Simone Di Bella from Italy
1 July 2015

I watched this movie yesterday and I couldn't find almost any humour in it. I giggled a couple of times and that's it. About the musical side, I think that good singers sing for the love of music itself, not to celebrate themselves, which appears to be what moves those "singers" instead. Singing it's a matter of heart, not only of vocal cords, a thing that x-factor-like performers, like the characters of this movie, fail to understand. In my opinion these kind of performances should be held in circuses, because of the kind of skills involved.

Anyway I suppose it's a passable teenager movie, but not for particularly bright kids, which can choose among many other better movies if they're interested in music.

Like camp rock, but college

Author: Kayla
22 June 2015

This was probably the worst movie I've ever seen I've never written a review on here before but looking at that score I just kind of felt like I had to. First off it's almost impossible to stand Anna Kendrick's character, she's always complaining about something, which I could get behind if she wasn't complaining about things that us normal people can only dream about, such as free college, the most perfect guy ever likes her (seriously no guy on earth is that perfect), a big group of people want to be her friends. I know it's awful right? The reason she complains about the free college is because her dad is making her go (he's a professor, that's why it's free) but she's an adult, if she doesn't want to go she doesn't have to, but if she didn't go there wouldn't be a plot. Anyway, I didn't think it was that funny either, Rebel Wilson was the only one that made me laugh, and even then I didn't laugh that often. Maybe I just don't get singing humor. Even then they keep using the same gags over and over "aca-awesome" and the one girl that's really quiet and the lesbian, it gets old, it wasn't even that funny the first time. Anyway, the plot is boring anyway, self-absorbed brat joins a club she didn't want to join and finds out she likes it and makes new friends. How original! By the way, Becca mentioned her "stepmonster" one time and she was never brought up again, was she really a monster? Because she tends to exaggerate I mean she made free college sound like prison.

Sorry that my review is a train wreck, but it doesn't make the movie any less of one. Also I typed this on a phone there are bound to be typos.

This is so fun movie.

Author: carol movie from Japan
27 July 2016

This movie is so fun and lets us remember our youth. Especially, I love singing, so I listen to the soundtrack a lot of times. I'm Japanese, so I don't know much about what is the young in America and their school life, so I can learn those things from this movie. Off course, I don't have much knowledge about American music, so when I watched this movie. I didn't understand which song was old or how famous song it was. However, characters in this film do excellent and energetic performance, so foreigners can enjoy all the time, I think.

Also, riff-off is a must-see. There is it in the middle of this film, all singers are so sexy and they sing very famous song, so I sang to myself. Main characters have a great individuality and you will also enjoy their joke and dialogues.

If you watch this film, you will understand why it became so popular and be loved by people whole world.