IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Like a movie made out of weaker Glee episodes

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
25 May 2015

With the everywhere-talked-about release of the sequel to this 2012 movie, I thought it was high time finally give the original a watch. It proved not a good idea. The humor in here basically includes the level of vomiting, terrible word plays about penetration and menstrual cycles. This is a 105-minute movie directed by Jason Moore and written by Kay Cannon based on Mickey Rapkin's novel. Cannon returned for the sequel, Moore did not. Instead they went with Elizabeth Banks as director and she has a common past with Cannon, who is mostly famous for writing "30 Rock" episodes. I quite like this television series, so i was really baffled how bad her writing for this film here was. Anna Kendrick is an actress I actually quite like. She has charisma, looks and talent, a combination which is not too common these days. And she tried her best so that her performance could make up for many other flaws with this movie, but in the end it just wasn't enough. The script is just too bad. They start the film with giving Beca's main rival in the group a moment as embarrassing as it gets, so we could dislike her right away and prefer Kendrick's character. Rebel Wilson is like a younger Melissa McCarthy with the difference that she is entirely unfunny. I mentioned bad plays on words earlier and there are more of these. The repeated use of "aca-scuse me" was a negative highlight. Another flaw with this film was the ridiculous idea to include a guidebook according to which the singers were not allowed to have relationships with the guys from the rivaling men-only singers group.

I said in the title that there are some connection with Glee and it is true. They picked band members of all kinds of ethnicities, of all kinds of sexual preferences and of all kinds of body shapes, only they did not elaborate on it any further really. Basically, we know nothing about any of the character's except Kendrick's and that is quite an achievement for a film which has so many characters and runs for not too much under two hours. A very very negative achievement. One of the very few positive things about this film is the music, which wasn't as bad as the rest really. However, the band's final performance which apparently blew everybody away did not particularly wow me. I was pretty disappointed by this film. I hope Kendrick's next projects will be better. She showed us a couple times in the past that she is one of the best actresses from her generation, but movies like this one here do not do her justice. Not even close. Not recommended.

1/2 bad, 1/2 good, ending wrecks it

Author: tcrump452 from Australia
21 December 2012

I came into this movie thinking that it was going to be horrible. The first half of the movie was very boring and had bad jokes, bad performances and made me want to fall asleep.

Then the 2nd half was the exact opposite with it having good performances, funny jokes and the cast at it's max when it comes to entertainment.

Then ending screwed it all over.

If it has a goo ending i would give this movie a 6 but it was terrible so it gets a 3 from me.

I hope there is no sequel either

Unenjoyable, I may be too old?

Author: thisisdonovan from Australia
19 May 2013

I'll admit it, I'm not part of this movies target demographic. In saying that, I know a lot of people my age that really like this film. Me, I just didn't get it.

Having never seen the TV show Glee, this movie is basically what I imagine it to be.

The singing is annoying due to the insane amount of auto-tune involved. There's a weird love story which seems rushed and unconvincing.

When I bring this film up with my friends, they either love it, or they say "it's OK, but Rebel Wilson is hilarious". I don't find her funny at all. She basically just makes fat jokes. This in and of itself is not a bad thing, I love fat jokes! Make a good fat joke and I'm the guy at the back laughing the most (I'm aware that I'm a loser). But these jokes just aren't funny.

So, 3/10, probably because I'm too old. Could have been a higher score if the fat jokes were better.

Just Not Very Good!

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
15 June 2015

I'm not here to rain on someone's parade. If you enjoy this kind of stuff, it's OK with me. But I don't understand how something so inane could be so popular. It fails on so many levels. First of all, there is absolutely no realistic character development. These kids are just boring. They are types, thrown together because of their quirkiness, their ethnicity, their race, or even their sexual preference. The sad thing is that doing this doesn't lead to anything interesting. Ooh! You mean a fat girl could actually be talented!! I'll admit they have good voices, but so does everyone else in this film. So, where's the conflict? The leader threw up as they were performing for a national championship and is trying to get a second chance? Then there's the sullen main character. I got tired of her and her whiny portrayal in about five minutes. I couldn't care less if they won because I didn't like any of them. Throw in those boorish idiot commentators who never say one funny thing the whole show, and it becomes a snoozefest. A couple numbers are OK but there is no suspense or interest built up. When the big face off comes, we don't wonder for a second what is going to happen.

It's offensive!

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
11 August 2015

This film tells the story of a female acapella group in college, who has to fight off internal problems and face tough competition to win the national acapella competition.

"Pitch Perfect" is a very popular film, and I thought it editor be uplifting and inspiring. In fact, I find everything about this film to be wrong. First, the two judges keep saying very mean things about contestants, and on many occasions say degrading things about female contestants. They just don't seem to respect women.

Second, all the ethnic minority characters are portrayed as freaks. The Korean roommate is super rude, the Asian singer is mute, and the Negro singer is lesbian who takes advantage of every situation like a nymphomaniac.

Third, they are an acapella group, yet they have background music when they sing. The story is not inspiring or gripping either. I just don't understand what's right with this film.

What Glee would be, (if it sucked)

Author: richcarter1962 from United States
3 March 2013

Well it's official this is BY FAR the WORST movie I have ever set through in it's entirety. I kept making little excuses to myself, maybe the plot will reveal itself. I gave this movie a 2, and the only reason I gave it that is I have to save 1 star for a movie that is worse than this one. Just to let you know, the acting was horrible, the plot was not in evidence anywhere in the film. At least they were consistent the writing was just as bad as the acting, and let's not forget the brains behind this whole pathetic movie the director, he was just as inept as everyone else.

The story is somewhat of a "Bring It On" melded with "Glee", and a little "Full Metal Jacket" not that anything in the movie reminded me of Full Metal Jacket", but it did make want to eat my gun, just like Private Pyle.

Oh and while I am on the topic the little lie I told myself was that at least once they got to the competition at least these kids would be able to sing, wrong again, the music is not even any good. I suppose when you bring a lot of no name actors/actresses into a movie that was poorly written, poorly directed, poorly acted then you probably shouldn't expect much from it, hence the generous 2.

Do yourself a favor, don't waste 2 hours of your life watching this, I would rather watch Curling Finals from Quebec, at least it's funny.

A-ccaGlee

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
26 July 2015

Anna Kendrick plays Beca a moody, stroppy and reluctant freshman at Barden University who wishes she was working as a DJ.

The Barden Bellas are a female a-cappella group whose authoritarian lead singer (Aubrey) throws up when nervous and in the new academic year are struggling to find new female recruits. Beca decides to join the group but is in conflict with the Aubrey who seems to think despite evidence to the contrary that selecting safe songs from the last century will beat her all male rivals from the same college, the Treblemakers.

The film has a feel good feeling with plenty of songs new and old sang in pitch perfect a-cappella, great if you are a fan of the TV series Glee.

The film is however pitch perfectly predictable, schmaltzy and with all the stereotypes under the sun with some racist undertones (what a surprise its a Universal picture, the company well known for killing off the black guy in the first ten minutes!)

People from Far Eastern heritage have a hard time getting decent representation in films but here they make one Asian person out to be a weirdo and another to be socially intolerant and racist against whites. The black lady is a butch lesbian and the guy who gets his group disqualified because he was not a student is black as well. For some reason because the the filmmakers want you to think they are equal opportunity racists they also picked on deaf Jews in order to make a DJ joke.

Anna Kendrick's character is dislikeable and her love story subplot was poor. Aubrey is so bossy you wonder why she is not on stage as a soloist as no one else would ever sing with her because of her attitude.

Aubrey never realises that getting nearly beaten by a glove puppet singing group might be more to do with her failings.

On the positive side the songs keep things bubbling along, it presumably would make for a good date film even though there is some gross out humour here and there. Rebel Wilson keeps things fun playing the bubbly fat stereotype.

Super Shallow

Author: adrijdin from Canada
7 June 2015

I am giving this movie 5 stars (instead of say, 1) because it was watchable enough to hold my interest, some of the singing scenes were fun, and the characters were all right. I understand that this movie is aimed at the tween set and the need to go "a bit deeper" wasn't really seen. That being said, this movie was extremely surface level - it doesn't have the makings of the classic I thought it might be based on its level of popularity, and what's sad about that is that it did have the ingredients.

The main problem with this movie was that it wasn't SATISFYING. Part of the thrill of movies like this is that the mean characters finally get what they deserve or learn their lesson, and the hard work or effort of the more likable characters finally pays off in a triumphant series of scenes, but that just doesn't happen to any of the "bad guys" (I use that term loosely) in this film, and when the various climaxes hit, it was very hard for me to truly give a crap. The little bit of depth required to take this movie into the realm of "memorable" just wasn't put in. The result of this is that we don't care as much as we could, and a feeling of vague annoyance permeated my overall enjoyment while I was watching. I do understand that this is supposed to be a light, fun movie, but I'm sorry, there are dozens of classic light, fun movies (including those aimed at a younger audience) that have that WEE bit of substance that make them truly affecting and inherently non-shallow. The film tries to teach lessons, but ends up sending very mixed messages. Thus, the movie is shallow, and that is different from being light. Not only that, but the storyline was fairly weak (though the premise was pretty good, although there are plenty of affecting movies with fairly weak story lines, so that is not the main problem for me) and the dialogue at points was truly the opposite of terrific (again, that is not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it didn't help matters).

SPOILERS:

Examples of bad guys not getting what they deserved: a) Aubrey. She is the perfectionist leader of the group who refuses change, and there are many, many scenes with her bossing around (and being a total B*TCH to) Chloe, Beca and the girls. We spend the whole movie waiting for her to "get hers" but guess what, it never really happens. Whenever Beca tries to stand to Aubrey, it is so weak it is practically out of character, and no one ever really backs her up. So finally there is a very weak scene in which it all the girls finally decide to *kind of* stand up against Aubrey, (which is begun when Chloe FINALLY takes a stand against the abuse, and we are totally robbed of the satisfaction because Fat Amy directs her "stop fighting, guys!" at CHLOE and not Aubrey?!?) it ends in a ridiculous group fight complete with Lilly making angel wings in Aubrey's vomit. What the heck? Yes, the troop changes and tries something new and wins as a result, but I found it extraordinarily unsatisfying, and the climax utterly fails to penetrate the heart.

b) Bumper. This is the leader of the Bellas' rival a Capella troop the Treblemakers, who is a gigantic buffoon. This guy insults and dismisses people constantly, but instead of getting any payback he turns out to be the most successful guy in the whole movie, exiting upon getting some kind of audition in LA. Um, excuse me? So being a ruthless jerk that doesn't care about people and throws burritos at people from a moving vehicle is your ticket to success. Is that it?

c) Beca's Dad. Yes, we get it, she is super rude to him and wants nothing to do with him because he and her mom got a divorce. Even though they eventually reconcile, I was still expecting there to be some back story that explains why he doesn't seem to care that she is obviously extremely hurt over their divorce. On the flip side, he also doesn't get the apology he deserves from her, either. Final scene with them: completely unsatisfying. Light. Fluffy. Whatever.

d) Beca herself. She treats the guy that loves her (and that deep down inside she also loves) like crap for scene after scene, and gets on his case for doing wonderful things to help her. He *finally* stands up for himself, and it is slightly satisfying, but um, still, not really. But out of all the examples, this one was the most well-done, thankfully. I actually did enjoy the dynamic between Jesse & Beca and thought it was one of the best aspects of the movie, cliché as it was.

That aside, it wasn't funny, although I believe it was intended to be. I myself have found plenty of movies really funny when the critics say they weren't, etc. so this could be a personal thing, but I didn't laugh once. (I am the type to laugh at barf and farting and diarrhoea in movies, so I'm not THAT hard to please in this department.) But anyway, the example that stands out the most is the banter between competition commentators Gail and John-- it was bizarrely non-witty and unfunny, whereas this could have been the best part of the movie. For instance, another one of this movie's ultra-weakly executed lessons was to show that "girls can do it, too" and that ties into John's (and Gail's) anti-girl attitudes and comments. However, there's no payoff at the end. The girls finally do something original. Gail tells John he's a misogynist. John doesn't appear to care, or to have leaned his lesson, based on admitting they did a good job.

Dats all folks.

Oh Deat God I love soda pop

Author: Borden Stephens from Canada
3 June 2015

God if you're squeamish, don't watch this film. The vomiting in this movie is just, it's just too much. Especially the climax where she throws up everywhere is just absolutely gross and disgusting, it's not funny in the slightest, I could barely eat the entire day. The comedy is really cheap and the jokes are absolutely awful, I only gave this a 3 to be nice. Fat Amy is probably the best character in the entire film, which is decent, she was pretty good in Night at the Museum, which was great, but this isn't Night at the Museum, this is Pitch

Perfect, bitch! If you get turned on by puke, then oh BOY do I HAVE a movie for you. So Ya, eggplants suck, Believe in the Shield.

Doesn't live up to the hype

Author: Brenda Christie from Brazil
17 April 2013

I was really excited to watch this movie, I like Anna Kendrick and everyone had amazing things to say about this. I'm not a fan of musicals at all, I always skip the singing parts in movies. But I actually liked the performances in this. I'd never buy the soundtrack but the performances didn't bore or annoy the hell out of me. The first half of the movie was way more enjoyable than the second part. Anna Camp's character was getting on my nerves, and the conflicts with the Bellas ended up going on and on and it was so obvious how it would end up, and I was just annoyed and waiting for them to get the hell over it and skip to the part where they all listen to Beca. The film is highly predictable, you can guess everything that is gonna happen 10 minutes into the movie. Because of this, I was getting impatient waiting for things that I knew would happen, to finally happen. The movie had quite a few moments, but I wouldn't watch it again. I understand why people would enjoy this movie and look pass its flaws though. It wasn't the great movie I was expecting, but I don't regret watching it either. 6/10