IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

c r a p o l a

Author: johnnyrj from out there
22 December 2012

My wife told me to come over and sit on the couch with her and watch this funny/cute movie. She had caramel corn so I figured, what the hell, at least I get a snack.

From the opening I had a sneaking suspicion this was going to be a movie version of Glee. I asked and she said, "Not really, but there's some singing..." I immediately began to shovel as much caramel corn as I could get, paying close attention to globules of sweet goodness until the bowl was empty, whereupon I got up and went back to work. My sometimes tedious job of localization engineering held far more appeal than a group of angsty college kids slogging their way through a contrived script, towards a plot that Helen Keller could have seen from halfway around the globe.

There are no surprises here other than barf. That's right, BARF. The only redeeming moment of this wet turd was the projectile vomiting. Had she vomited on the made-by-kids-forced-into-slave-labor MAC, I would have given this movie another star.

The whole, "oh dad just leave me alone to be me" thing has been absolutely beaten to death year after year by Hollywood to the point where I didn't think anyone in their right mind could possibly consider funding this garbage. I guess when you are going to piggy back off the success of a (only the gods know why) hit TV series, anything goes.

I honestly don't see the appeal in ripping off everyone's music to make yet another version with lame electronic beats being thrown about.

Dear wannabe DJ rejects,

Owning a MAC doesn't make you a DJ, sorry. Anyone can own a iPod, MAC and or better notebook/laptop/tablet and download MP3s and then play them at a party.

Owning a giant pair of headphones with a lot of bass doesn't make you a DJ either. Anyone, literally ANYONE on this freaking planet can buy headphones.

Ruining original music by slapping whatever garbage beats you think are fresh/phat/sick/dope doesn't make you more innovative or interesting at all. Could you be more unoriginal? A one year old crapping himself while giggling can come up with this stuff. Just put the MAC in front of him and let him start slapping away at the keys and before you know it, a rave/party/whatever will break out.

It takes 0 talent to cut and paste some MP3s together, layer your own BS you've ripped off of someone else, then start altering the pitch while holding one earphone up to your head and gyrating like a complete idiot. Go learn to play an instrument and get some musical background and before you know it you'll be tossing all that electronic crap in the garbage where it belongs.

Funny's Cousin

Author: Melissaslist from United States
29 December 2012

I watched this on cable last night. My friend who suggested we watch it told me she'd heard from many that it was very funny. I did not think it was funny at all. We watched about half of it (maybe the good parts were in the second half?) Doubtful.

As soon as the girl projectile vomited I just sorta knew it was going to be awful. NOT because I don't like silly humor. Actually I love it...when it's done right. But this in my opinion was just done wrong and I did not laugh once whereas clearly this was meant to be a comedy. I loved Rebel Wilson in Bridesmaids. She was hilarious. I was hoping she would make this more entertaining but that was not the case.

I don't know what it is with Hollywood lately. It's either vampires or glee club. Its a little too much already. I would have liked to have watched this movie with people who claimed it was hilarious and have them explain to me what about it was funny. I just did not see it at all.

Do not watch this trash ever, please!!! Ever!!! What a failure!

Author: aliarnccrn from Los angeles
15 February 2015

What a rare disaster! Pointless, talentless, disgusting not even movie but piece of trash!!!

What an ugly Beca!!! And I am not an angry person, but after I watched this waste of money and time, I am very angry at this pure ugliness. I will not run out of curse for idiots who came up with this idea. Awful!!! I gave it score 1 just because they don't have COMPLETE ABSOLUTE ZERO in the system. Trust me , it is real Zero! This is very intellectually degrading and it makes people with brain nauseous and the music is horrifying tasteless pop and the actors look like twilight monsters with unrealistic two dimensional static personalities showing horrible examples to people who watch this. Please never watch NO COSTUMES AT ALL and the costume designer is a fraud!!!!!

Predictable teen movie

Author: stefanievanwijk1 from Netherlands
5 January 2015

A movie about a tomboy girl who joins a acappela girlgroup which is in a fight with a boygroup. The girl falls in love with a boy, wants to change the boring stigma of the acapella group, gets in a fight with the lead girl (queen B) and has a troubled relationship with her father: all the classical ingredients for a teen movie.

The only reason why I don't give this movie a 1 out of 10 is because of Rebel Wilson: an extremely talented actress who improvised a lot in the movie which made it a little bit more bearable.

Pitch Perfect is just a typical teen movie: predictable jokes, predictable characters and a predictable storyline. So its not a surprise that this movie can be described in one word: predictable.

If you are between the age of 14/16; I'm sure you will enjoy this movie, especially if you haven't seen a lot of these kind of movies. But if you are in your twenties and pretty much watched all of the classical teen movies, this is just a waste of your time.

Super cool movie, everyone should watch this

Author: Bharanidaran ramani from Chennai
24 January 2014

When i first heard about this movie, it did not interest me much, even though iam a fan of comedy movies. I assumed this to be like the pathetic "street dance" type stereotype movies. Hell no. This is not only a unique version, but also a truly aspiring performances by the starts

The movie starts and ends at the same place as like any other stand off competition, but then this one focuses a bit more on the story part of it and the typical fall out happens, people reunite and pull it off. Sounds a bit boring isn't it? But not so. It is very difficult to take such a standard 2-liner story so entertaining and worth watching.

I think the success of the movie is mostly due to the acumen performances of the starts Anna and Anna. Although the group boasts of acoustic singing group the song in the grand finale did not sound realistic and was a give away. Nevertheless it was toe-tapping and very energetic as one would expect.

The movie does not use erotica as the selling point, which is a very good attempt. As a stereotype in Hollywood movies, with beautiful there is always a nudity round the corner, but the director had made sure there are no such nonsense in the movie.

Also the fact that girl dolls such as Anna would turn out to be a rapper was a stand up factor and sure deserve a round of applause. The movie had a few scenes which made me go back to remember "Scary movie" ugh!!! But thankfully its over very soon and does not deviate the screenplay

Girls on a stand-off and they do win!! Enjoyed it

This movie represents everything that is wrong in modern media

Author: thommy741 from Germany
14 September 2013

I at least give this movie credit for trying and of course producer want money so there is nothing wrong in giving the viewers what they crave for: Really cheesy love-stories, arrogant bad-boys and girls that behave like they can't decide whether they wanna be rude or just girlish. And that's the core: Most of the people in this movie are just RUDE. If you laugh at the opening vomit-scene there is no doubt you will love the rest of this movie but gosh was that scene in bad taste!

Worst part is: The sining is not half-bad! It's the dialogue that drags it down and these chliché group of teenagers whose try desperately to be "special" (which is good) and then fall in the same trap most other modern teenage movies like StepUp3D do.

After so many anabolic-muscles and girlish overacting girls it's just black magic to me that no one seems to question this film's message.

Strains mightily against its PG13 rating

Author: Jonny 99 from United States
2 April 2013

"Pitch Perfect" becomes a somewhat painful experience for empathetic souls who can feel the writers struggling against its PG13 constraints. The biggest confirmation of this is a joke involving one of the a Capella singing groups covering Lily Allen's "F*** You". It has to pull its punches by only suggesting bulimia jokes around Anna Camp's character Aubrey. Seriously dark lines are uttered at a whisper by Hana Mae Lee's Lilly although these are some of the funniest in the piece (as a bonding ritual she's asked her biggest secret to she stops the show with "I ate my twin the womb".) It's unfortunate the producers didn't abandon the tween market and go for the "Hangover" hard-R crowd - while funny this could have been hilarious. As far as the cast Rebel Wilson's "Fat Amy" ("it saves you having to call me that behind my back anyway") stands out among a group of actresses not sufficiently distinguishable from each other. In short, while short of its potential, an entertaining film.

A fantastic film for a capella fans!

Author: BlaZ3r from Belgium
9 January 2013

This was a movie i had very low expectations and boy i was so wrong. I thought this was pretty darn funny. You could see that the acting was spot on and i loved Anna Kendrick, i really hope to see some more of her in the near future. And she actually can sing. She stars even on Broadway on some occasions. Off course i was surprised about Brittany Snow, i had no idea she could actually sing like this, so this was a double surprise for me!

Music was spot on and i really liked the male and female voices so much harmony, even thinking of buying the soundtrack. If your in need of a movie for the weekend or just for a movie night? You can't go wrong really, this is a movie for almost everyone.

You won't regret it!

Looking a bit tired there...

Author: Rich Wright
20 September 2013

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that this film wouldn't even exist if not for Glee. We have a team of misfit girls including a gay one, a fat one, a quiet psychopath, a projectile vomiter etc. who take on professional singing harmony groups in a contest. They start off terrible, and are the laughing stock of the school. But gradually, when the leader of this kooky troupe realises that OTHER PEOPLE'S ideas besides hers could work, and when they APPRECIATE THEIR OWN UNIQUE SKILLS while BONDING AS A UNIT, things start to click. Then come the final contest... they finish last before killing themselves. I kid, I kid.

There is a tune in this movie called The Cup Song in which an auditionee for the competition improvises using only a beaker to perform a catchy little ditty. This has quickly become a much imitated fad on Youtube, with many wannabees trying (and usually failing) to copy the scene. It's a shame then, that the rest of the screenplay is as predictable as Katie Price's latest pregnancy, being stuffed full of obvious jokes and hoary old plot devices. The production numbers are good, even show-stopping in some cases, but is that enough to recommend it? Not really.

Still, if you're young and haven't yet been rendered a cynical Statler and Waldorf clone by this strange, cruel world, you might be able to enjoy it more. To which I respond by saying: I don't envy your taste, but can I have your youth?! 5/10

Pitch Perfect Review

Author: Kelli Heeringa from United States
17 February 2013

Just a girl with a dream to keep to herself and her music. All she needs in life is to get done with college and find a job composing music, working with what she loves. However, this becomes more of a challenge than expected for Beca (played by Anna Kendrick) who ironically runs into a group of girls who are compiled of complete opposites, but yet at the same time, these girls are more similar to each other than any of them could have ever imagined. Directed by Jason Moore, Pitch Perfect creates an "acca-amazing" film that has its viewers hooked from the first a cappella performance, building climactically through each musical number , revealing new friendships and relationships, all comically displayed; don't be surprised, even the least musically inclined few may be astounded to find themselves singing along with this hysterical uproar.

When Beca arrives at Barden University with no expectations, looking for a place to just fit in, she comes across the Barden Bella's a cappella group. With reservation, she participates in practices and performances all while fighting off the charming new freshman, Jesse (Skylar Astin), part of the all male, rivalry, a cappella group, the Treblemakers. While the Barden Bellas aren't exactly your typical "pretty-girl" group, the diversity adds to the laugh-out-loud humor that appears to be present throughout the entire film.

To Moore's credit, Pitch Perfect isn't simply a remake of the popular TV show, Glee. Originality abounds in this admired film, creating its own storyline unique to the industry. Besides the fact that the music is completely brilliant (because who doesn't love elegant, beautiful harmony) , writer Kay Cannon deserves a standing ovation for crafting this masterpiece with strategic humor and a legitimate plot.

To be sure not to exclude, much credit also is due to the acting; especially by Rebel Wilson who plays Fat Amy, called such a name "so twig bitches like you don't do it behind my back". Wilson is the primary source of laughter in this movie and never ceases to amaze her audience in providing good, clean, humorous entertainment. She is essentially the comedic relief to an already amusing film. Similarly, Benji (played by Ben Platt), originally denied from the Treblemakers because of his obsession with magic and Star Wars, adds to the movie with his quirkiness. It seems that every cast member seems to fit in perfectly and was excellently selected by Moore.

Pitch Perfect may possibly be one of the more unique, comical productions of 2012. With its originality played out perfectly and its musical accents throughout the film, it will have viewers running right back to watch it again. An outstanding combination of this and the well- casted, phenomenal acting, Moore earns himself five stars from this "acca-awesome" movie.