IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Musical done right

Author: kgmarra from United States
14 October 2012

This new comedic musical is right on pitch. Anna Kendrick plays Beca, a student at Barden University whose dream is to move to LA and become a DJ. Beca is uninterested in college, to say the least. Her father is a professor at her school and he advises her to join clubs to get more involved. Beca starts to work at the school radio station along with her admirer, Jesse (Skylar Astin).

When Beca's voice is heard by Chloe (Brittany Snow), one of the main girls of The Barden Bellas a capella group, Beca is recruited into this singing group. Jesse ends up joining the rival all-boys a capella group called The Treble Makers.

Beca soon realizes that The Bellas need some new music in order to improve their reputation and make it to the finals. However, the leader of the group, Aubrey (Anna Camp), is quite headstrong and refuses to change their music. The tension between these girls and The Treble Makers continues to grow and everything begins to unfold.

Walking into this movie with very low expectations, I definitely was pleasantly surprised. It is a musical done right. There is no breaking out into song; the only time people sing is during competitions. In fact, the music is terrific and I can't wait to download the entire soundtrack.

I was expecting slapstick comedy, especially with Rebel Wilson in the cast, but "Pitch Perfect" rests at the borderline. Speaking of Rebel, this movie would be nothing without her. Hilarious lines mixed with her perfect comedic timing equals a workout for your abs. It comes very close to stupidity but it doesn't quite cross the line.

"Pitch Perfect" is cute, silly, and fun. If you're looking for some laughs, take a watch. I give it a 7 out of 10.

This movie represents everything that is wrong in modern media

Author: thommy741 from Germany
14 September 2013

I at least give this movie credit for trying and of course producer want money so there is nothing wrong in giving the viewers what they crave for: Really cheesy love-stories, arrogant bad-boys and girls that behave like they can't decide whether they wanna be rude or just girlish. And that's the core: Most of the people in this movie are just RUDE. If you laugh at the opening vomit-scene there is no doubt you will love the rest of this movie but gosh was that scene in bad taste!

Worst part is: The sining is not half-bad! It's the dialogue that drags it down and these chliché group of teenagers whose try desperately to be "special" (which is good) and then fall in the same trap most other modern teenage movies like StepUp3D do.

After so many anabolic-muscles and girlish overacting girls it's just black magic to me that no one seems to question this film's message.

Overrated and gross

Author: kristofen from United States
14 September 2014

How this got rated higher than Mean Girls is beyond me. At least Mean Girls managed to be raw without losing its class. Pitch Perfect was so desperate for cheap laughs its cringe worthy. I actually watched it with a group of friends, one actually fell asleep and the others weren't laughin, or at least not at the movie. First of all, (if i remember correctly) a bunch of misfits join a choir to go against a rival group. Okay, where did they even come up with this idea? A UNIVERSITY choir so desperate for members they pick ALL weird girls. But I digress, thats not the worst. Just the immaturity of the plot all throughout. Rivalries like that don't exist, normally people move on and don't dwell on the fact they were teased. Who are they to them anyway? Its just a bunch of pranks and childish competition from adults. And if Anna Kendricks character was supposed to be an average boring girl then they did a perfect job with her. The humor was just gross, the girl throwing up and then having the whistle land in there ughh I almost puked. And the Asian girl saying "I ate my twin in the womb" thats not funny! Or relatable. This is what I mean by "desperate". Then the scene with the puppets singing "F. U. F U very much" OH HO HO is funny becas she said eff you OH! I cannot quote anything except for fat amy talking about her nickname, whereas i can quote almost every scene in mean girls "you go Glen Coco!". There's not that many funny girls' movies out there so there's not much to compare it to. But this movie further emphasizes why there's not that many funny girls' movies out there...The only reason this got a one is because of the effort in the music and choreography. If you like fart jokes and pop songs then this is the perfect movie for you.

Do not watch this trash ever, please!!! Ever!!! What a failure!

Author: aliarnccrn from Los angeles
15 February 2015

What a rare disaster! Pointless, talentless, disgusting not even movie but piece of trash!!!

What an ugly Beca!!! And I am not an angry person, but after I watched this waste of money and time, I am very angry at this pure ugliness. I will not run out of curse for idiots who came up with this idea. Awful!!! I gave it score 1 just because they don't have COMPLETE ABSOLUTE ZERO in the system. Trust me , it is real Zero! This is very intellectually degrading and it makes people with brain nauseous and the music is horrifying tasteless pop and the actors look like twilight monsters with unrealistic two dimensional static personalities showing horrible examples to people who watch this. Please never watch NO COSTUMES AT ALL and the costume designer is a fraud!!!!!

Is this what passes for a comedy? Hideously predictable, cheesy and formulaic

Author: Pete-Horam from United Kingdom
19 January 2013

Hideously predictable, cheesy and formulaic. The music is horrific chart pop drivel to match its commercial Hollywood style production. I waited to laugh throughout the entire movie but there was just nothing to laugh at. It is one of the very worst movies I've ever seen. You might just about like it if you happen to be a 10 year old girl.

If you have seen any of the 'comedies' where a group of 'quirky misfits' compete in an obscure competition and triumph 'against the odds' and the girl and the guy fall in love at the end and live happily ever after then you have already seen this one - just probably executed in at least a mildly amusing manner.

Please don't spend your money on this film. It's just the marketing people of Hollywood cashing in on the dumb and gullible who cotton onto the latest crazes like Xfactor and Britains Got Talent, the latter of which, predictably sparked a series of 'street dance' videos which I'm am sure everyone who loved this film also enjoyed. There are no original ideas here.

c r a p o l a

Author: johnnyrj from out there
22 December 2012

My wife told me to come over and sit on the couch with her and watch this funny/cute movie. She had caramel corn so I figured, what the hell, at least I get a snack.

From the opening I had a sneaking suspicion this was going to be a movie version of Glee. I asked and she said, "Not really, but there's some singing..." I immediately began to shovel as much caramel corn as I could get, paying close attention to globules of sweet goodness until the bowl was empty, whereupon I got up and went back to work. My sometimes tedious job of localization engineering held far more appeal than a group of angsty college kids slogging their way through a contrived script, towards a plot that Helen Keller could have seen from halfway around the globe.

There are no surprises here other than barf. That's right, BARF. The only redeeming moment of this wet turd was the projectile vomiting. Had she vomited on the made-by-kids-forced-into-slave-labor MAC, I would have given this movie another star.

The whole, "oh dad just leave me alone to be me" thing has been absolutely beaten to death year after year by Hollywood to the point where I didn't think anyone in their right mind could possibly consider funding this garbage. I guess when you are going to piggy back off the success of a (only the gods know why) hit TV series, anything goes.

I honestly don't see the appeal in ripping off everyone's music to make yet another version with lame electronic beats being thrown about.

Dear wannabe DJ rejects,

Owning a MAC doesn't make you a DJ, sorry. Anyone can own a iPod, MAC and or better notebook/laptop/tablet and download MP3s and then play them at a party.

Owning a giant pair of headphones with a lot of bass doesn't make you a DJ either. Anyone, literally ANYONE on this freaking planet can buy headphones.

Ruining original music by slapping whatever garbage beats you think are fresh/phat/sick/dope doesn't make you more innovative or interesting at all. Could you be more unoriginal? A one year old crapping himself while giggling can come up with this stuff. Just put the MAC in front of him and let him start slapping away at the keys and before you know it, a rave/party/whatever will break out.

It takes 0 talent to cut and paste some MP3s together, layer your own BS you've ripped off of someone else, then start altering the pitch while holding one earphone up to your head and gyrating like a complete idiot. Go learn to play an instrument and get some musical background and before you know it you'll be tossing all that electronic crap in the garbage where it belongs.

Aca-sh*t

Author: user-384-224515
13 May 2015

A friend of mine recommended me this movie because it was her favorite one so I decided to see it... oh, oh! My mistake. I lost my time watching this movie trying to find something funny or interesting in it. I would only tell my worst enemies to watch it because it's a torture!! I don't understand why do everybody likes it so much. It's such a shitty movie that if I had to choose between watching it again or to die in a painful and slow way I would definitely rather to die. Don't watch it if you have a little of self-love please don't. There are a lot of good movies out there you just have to look in the right places

Predictability personified

Author: spitfire2356 from Malta
14 August 2013

I simply love acapella music, I might be actually interested in a soundtrack if the songs sampled are actually full-length.

BUT - the predictability of this movie is simply unbelievable at all levels: the plot, the ethnicity and sexual choice of 'misfits', the 'romance', the twist, the ending. You name it you have it and more. The characters are cartoons of the flat B&W sketched type. I am not a big fan of political correctness but the jokes when not 'punny' where quite offensive to many people. I'm beginning to suspect that it may have been generated by a free smart phone app. This best-before 80's formula self-describes when one girl enjoys wallowing in another's vomit.

Lesbi-honest....

Author: LittleLotti from United States
30 July 2013

I truly thought this would be a new favorite movie for me. However even half-way through I just knew I would never want to see it again. I am stunned that so many people think it's fantastic. Honestly a lot of the people I know who adore this movie are really immature. But I guess that's beside the point. Pitch Perfect reminded me of that movie that you think is awesome when you're thirteen, and when you watch it again in your early twenties you can't believe you ever liked it. The characters are unlikable (besides Fat Amy because she's the only one who says anything slightly funny), and it's a really predictable story that is WAY too cliché. Granted, there are some okay movies that are predictable that you still enjoy watching (The Proposal for instance), but this is not one of them. Bottom line; this is a movie that was extremely overrated and made out to be some fantastic, enjoyable favorite, when in reality it was boring, dumb, and on the verge of annoying. I am truly shocked at the high reviews people gave it because I think it is one of the worst movies I've seen.

good and bad takes turns in this one...

Author: Dominik Schlatter from Switzerland
27 April 2013

The problem of this movie is that there are some very good scenes and some horrible ones. Let's have a look at it, shall we?

The good: The romance between Anna and Skylar was set up nicely. The scenes in the radio studio were cute. The acapella performances were cool. (I'm no expert) The super-nerd who is finally allowed to join the group and turns out to be really good. Nice.

The bad: - I don't like Rebel Wilson as a comedian. Even though her character had some killer lines, she delivers them with little comic timing or joy. (Let me clarify the term "joy": The character she plays is not a cheerful one. I get it. But have you seen Kevin Spacey in Horrible Bosses? Now there's an actor who enjoys his work. Or Melissa Mc Carthy in Identity Thief? See what I mean?) I don't understand why people think she's funny. But that's just my (very) personal opinion. - Some ideas of the movie are half-baked at best. Like for example Anna Camps character. The entire movie she behaves like a jerk and at the end the're all friends. Just like that. I expected more of this conflict. Or the arrogant DJ who doesn't listen to Becas music. Then he does listen to it and thinks it's good. What happens then? What about Becas DJ career?? - The Bellas are pretty boring (performance wise) 90% of the movie. Then they come up with crazy-genius performance for the finals. Out of the blue!! Wouldn't they have had to practice for this? Seemed pretty complex to me, considering how they sucked as a group before. - The group is the usual mix of clichés. We have a colorful mix of people. But none of them really matters.

The ugly: - Some elements are just plain stupid. The Asian girl of the group has no voice, but gets picked for the team. They had an audition, man! What was the point of that? Then her character utters these ridiculous nonsense one-liners here and there. She appears to be a total sociopath, but everybody is OK with this? Please... - Becas roommate is (again: for no reason at all) really hostile and unfriendly. We get no explanation. It makes no sense and should not be in the movie. That's bad and sloppy story telling.

So all in all it's a decent movie that has some scenes that sort of ruin everything and prevent it from being a really good movie.

Pity!