IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Not good enough

Author: bbewnylorac
9 February 2015

This movie is a big letdown. Here you have a good cast, a lovely college setting, good costumes and camera-work and great music. I feel the problem is the characters and the script. Intentionally or not, the characters come across as very white-bread and narrow minded. At first I though they were denigrating anyone who was "different" as a way of highlighting that such behaviour is wrong. But actually I think the script is genuinely making fun of anyone who's not a blonde bimbo or jock. Anna Kendrick is sweet but too serious for the lead role of Beca. And her character is too dark. The plot is air thin - guys you've got to give the audience something a bit meatier to chew on. But all that seems to happen is that a group of shrill young women stand around messing up their rehearsals. The End. Great teen movies like Bring It On and Ten Things I Hate About You have some depth and meaning and feeling to balance the goofiness. This movie is pure sugar and that's not good for you.

A Disaster

Author: jstreis3 from North Carolina
1 March 2013

Another reviewer stated: "...Rebel Wilson plays an amazing part and has given the Mean Girls script a run for their money..." I immediately felt the need to speak up and say that this movie is not even in the same category as Mean Girls. Mean Girls is meant to be ironic and satiric. Pitch Perfect was meant to be a plain ol' comedy, but whatever, that's beside the point.

The Music: Cliché, stupid, lame - they tried to put some throwbacks in there, but apparently no one knows about music that existed before the 80s. The movie tries to make the "mash-up" a hip new thing. It's not. People have been making mash-ups since music began. What do you think a medley is? Calm down. The lip- syncing was SO obvious and I could hear the audio engineer pitch correcting every singer.

The Acting: It wasn't bad. But my next point is...

The Writing: The plot was old and overused. The characters were exaggerated to the point where I wasn't sure if they were part of the joke or if I was supposed to take them seriously. The jokes sucked and were sort of racist. Rebel Wilson's lines weren't even that good, but her presence was sort of nice.

I get it. A writer tried to cash in on a profitable idea, and it worked. What I don't understand is all the rave reviews this crap got. Was it because a bunch of older men wrote reviews about hot young actresses? That's my best guess. (See Lena Dunham's girls.) I'll never know. What I do know is that I could not watch the whole thing and I had to turn it off.

Do not watch this trash ever, please!!! Ever!!! What a failure!

Author: aliarnccrn from Los angeles
15 February 2015

What a rare disaster! Pointless, talentless, disgusting not even movie but piece of trash!!!

What an ugly Beca!!! And I am not an angry person, but after I watched this waste of money and time, I am very angry at this pure ugliness. I will not run out of curse for idiots who came up with this idea. Awful!!! I gave it score 1 just because they don't have COMPLETE ABSOLUTE ZERO in the system. Trust me , it is real Zero! This is very intellectually degrading and it makes people with brain nauseous and the music is horrifying tasteless pop and the actors look like twilight monsters with unrealistic two dimensional static personalities showing horrible examples to people who watch this. Please never watch NO COSTUMES AT ALL and the costume designer is a fraud!!!!!

Is this what passes for a comedy? Hideously predictable, cheesy and formulaic

Author: Pete-Horam from United Kingdom
19 January 2013

Hideously predictable, cheesy and formulaic. The music is horrific chart pop drivel to match its commercial Hollywood style production. I waited to laugh throughout the entire movie but there was just nothing to laugh at. It is one of the very worst movies I've ever seen. You might just about like it if you happen to be a 10 year old girl.

If you have seen any of the 'comedies' where a group of 'quirky misfits' compete in an obscure competition and triumph 'against the odds' and the girl and the guy fall in love at the end and live happily ever after then you have already seen this one - just probably executed in at least a mildly amusing manner.

Please don't spend your money on this film. It's just the marketing people of Hollywood cashing in on the dumb and gullible who cotton onto the latest crazes like Xfactor and Britains Got Talent, the latter of which, predictably sparked a series of 'street dance' videos which I'm am sure everyone who loved this film also enjoyed. There are no original ideas here.

c r a p o l a

Author: johnnyrj from out there
22 December 2012

My wife told me to come over and sit on the couch with her and watch this funny/cute movie. She had caramel corn so I figured, what the hell, at least I get a snack.

From the opening I had a sneaking suspicion this was going to be a movie version of Glee. I asked and she said, "Not really, but there's some singing..." I immediately began to shovel as much caramel corn as I could get, paying close attention to globules of sweet goodness until the bowl was empty, whereupon I got up and went back to work. My sometimes tedious job of localization engineering held far more appeal than a group of angsty college kids slogging their way through a contrived script, towards a plot that Helen Keller could have seen from halfway around the globe.

There are no surprises here other than barf. That's right, BARF. The only redeeming moment of this wet turd was the projectile vomiting. Had she vomited on the made-by-kids-forced-into-slave-labor MAC, I would have given this movie another star.

The whole, "oh dad just leave me alone to be me" thing has been absolutely beaten to death year after year by Hollywood to the point where I didn't think anyone in their right mind could possibly consider funding this garbage. I guess when you are going to piggy back off the success of a (only the gods know why) hit TV series, anything goes.

I honestly don't see the appeal in ripping off everyone's music to make yet another version with lame electronic beats being thrown about.

Dear wannabe DJ rejects,

Owning a MAC doesn't make you a DJ, sorry. Anyone can own a iPod, MAC and or better notebook/laptop/tablet and download MP3s and then play them at a party.

Owning a giant pair of headphones with a lot of bass doesn't make you a DJ either. Anyone, literally ANYONE on this freaking planet can buy headphones.

Ruining original music by slapping whatever garbage beats you think are fresh/phat/sick/dope doesn't make you more innovative or interesting at all. Could you be more unoriginal? A one year old crapping himself while giggling can come up with this stuff. Just put the MAC in front of him and let him start slapping away at the keys and before you know it, a rave/party/whatever will break out.

It takes 0 talent to cut and paste some MP3s together, layer your own BS you've ripped off of someone else, then start altering the pitch while holding one earphone up to your head and gyrating like a complete idiot. Go learn to play an instrument and get some musical background and before you know it you'll be tossing all that electronic crap in the garbage where it belongs.

Musical done right

Author: kgmarra from United States
14 October 2012

This new comedic musical is right on pitch. Anna Kendrick plays Beca, a student at Barden University whose dream is to move to LA and become a DJ. Beca is uninterested in college, to say the least. Her father is a professor at her school and he advises her to join clubs to get more involved. Beca starts to work at the school radio station along with her admirer, Jesse (Skylar Astin).

When Beca's voice is heard by Chloe (Brittany Snow), one of the main girls of The Barden Bellas a capella group, Beca is recruited into this singing group. Jesse ends up joining the rival all-boys a capella group called The Treble Makers.

Beca soon realizes that The Bellas need some new music in order to improve their reputation and make it to the finals. However, the leader of the group, Aubrey (Anna Camp), is quite headstrong and refuses to change their music. The tension between these girls and The Treble Makers continues to grow and everything begins to unfold.

Walking into this movie with very low expectations, I definitely was pleasantly surprised. It is a musical done right. There is no breaking out into song; the only time people sing is during competitions. In fact, the music is terrific and I can't wait to download the entire soundtrack.

I was expecting slapstick comedy, especially with Rebel Wilson in the cast, but "Pitch Perfect" rests at the borderline. Speaking of Rebel, this movie would be nothing without her. Hilarious lines mixed with her perfect comedic timing equals a workout for your abs. It comes very close to stupidity but it doesn't quite cross the line.

"Pitch Perfect" is cute, silly, and fun. If you're looking for some laughs, take a watch. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Who knew that a movie about collegiate music could be so classless?

Author: jillvesta16
12 August 2013

Once again, I find myself in the minority, but aca-believe it - I didn't enjoy Pitch Perfect.

Pitch Perfect has no storyline. It is a droning Cinderella story minus the charm, and based on that knowledge, you won't be surprised when the Barden Bellas (yes, that's their real and extremely uncreative name) finally pull out a win in the college acapella contest against their sworn "enemies" after the proverbial mean stepsister gets out of the way.

It has some corny quotes, some of which are funny but can easily be dug up on Pinterest or IMDb. You'll find the same amount of amusement in just reading them, and you can skip the crude "humor" and barfing scenes too! Many PG-13 films I have watched are rather mild and the upped rating is primarily a marketing tactic. This is not one of them. There's some pretty risqué content in this one, so NO, Pitch Perfect is not a cute and harmless movie about a collegiate singing contest. Neither is it really about college or going to class, but maybe Barden is just a hangout for disenfranchised and clichéd misfits and not really a location for education.

Fat Amy is somewhat likable but the rest of the one-sided characters are nearly excruciating to watch. Characters are supposed to be the center of a movie in which there is no action, and all I got was a bunch of singing contest commentary and a headache from the absolute meaninglessness and vapidity of this film. I'm disappointed.

Unless you are trapped on a bus and forced to watch this movie (like yours truly was), you can easily skip it. Even if you are trapped on a bus and forced to watch this movie, just look out the window and listen to the music instead. The music is (kind of) enjoyable. However, nothing will beat your own pair of headphones or some earplugs.

Author: user-384-224515
13 May 2015

A friend of mine recommended me this movie because it was her favorite one so I decided to see it... oh, oh! My mistake. I lost my time watching this movie trying to find something funny or interesting in it. I would only tell my worst enemies to watch it because it's a torture!! I don't understand why do everybody likes it so much. It's such a shitty movie that if I had to choose between watching it again or to die in a painful and slow way I would definitely rather to die. Don't watch it if you have a little of self-love please don't. There are a lot of good movies out there you just have to look in the right places

Predictability personified

Author: spitfire2356 from Malta
14 August 2013

I simply love acapella music, I might be actually interested in a soundtrack if the songs sampled are actually full-length.

BUT - the predictability of this movie is simply unbelievable at all levels: the plot, the ethnicity and sexual choice of 'misfits', the 'romance', the twist, the ending. You name it you have it and more. The characters are cartoons of the flat B&W sketched type. I am not a big fan of political correctness but the jokes when not 'punny' where quite offensive to many people. I'm beginning to suspect that it may have been generated by a free smart phone app. This best-before 80's formula self-describes when one girl enjoys wallowing in another's vomit.

This movie represents everything that is wrong in modern media

Author: thommy741 from Germany
14 September 2013

I at least give this movie credit for trying and of course producer want money so there is nothing wrong in giving the viewers what they crave for: Really cheesy love-stories, arrogant bad-boys and girls that behave like they can't decide whether they wanna be rude or just girlish. And that's the core: Most of the people in this movie are just RUDE. If you laugh at the opening vomit-scene there is no doubt you will love the rest of this movie but gosh was that scene in bad taste!

Worst part is: The sining is not half-bad! It's the dialogue that drags it down and these chliché group of teenagers whose try desperately to be "special" (which is good) and then fall in the same trap most other modern teenage movies like StepUp3D do.

After so many anabolic-muscles and girlish overacting girls it's just black magic to me that no one seems to question this film's message.

Page 2 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]