IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Watch out - you're going to like it whether you want to or not!

Author: penwah2 from United States
5 October 2012

We two 50+ grandmas went to see this film on the spur of the moment because we enjoy musical movies. We were probably the oldest people in the audience which ranged down to younger teens but everyone, regardless of age, was laughing and having a grand time. Much less schmaltzy and self-serious than Glee, but wonderful vocals and dancing and personality. You can't help but fall in love with the hilariously quirky characters, especially Rebel Wilson as the irrepressible Fat Amy, Elizabeth Banks as Gail, the sexually frustrated female announcer, and Hanna Mae Lee as Lilly, the wackadoo who releases the most shocking comments in a voice that barely exceeds a murmur. Fun, feel-good and highly entertaining.

Aca-pathetic

Author: OrsonLannister from United States
10 October 2012

Most of the people I saw Pitch Perfect with truly enjoyed it. They laughed and clapped and booed at me when I expressed my disgust. For many, this movie will definitely be enjoyable. Make no mistake, that does not make it any less of an awful movie.

Several factors contribute to my low opinion of Pitch Perfect. The largest of these concerns is the cast of characters. While there are few complaints in the acting department, the characters themselves are among the worst set of "people" committed to screen in recent memory.

"Beca" (is that spelling supposed to be hip or something?) is an arrogant, brooding, selfish brat who spends most of her time sulking on her computer and complaining about being forced to go to COLLEGE and be with PEOPLE (blegh, right?!). This is a perfect setup for character development, right? Wrong. After a half-hearted apology for being a terrible human being before the climax, Beca morphs not into an upstanding social and moral butterfly, but a smug leader of the troop she so recently was kicked off of, and this is the image the audience is left with.

"Jesse" is the most cliché love interest one can imagine. Seriously, girls, if you ever meet a guy this perfect and blameless, marry him. Jesse prances throughout the movie being sweet to everybody, from his unrealistically nerdy roommate to the jerks he sings with. He pursues Beca valiantly for no particular reason and provides the cliché moral criticism Beca so desperately needs late in the movie (but of course he takes her back). While girls might be enthralled by this sentiment, no true development can occur through a character who is so blatantly one-dimensional.

Worst of all are the two commentators for the sing-offs, Gail and John. These two buffoons spew dialogue that is not only shockingly inappropriate for television/radio, they simply aren't funny. While clearly trying to channel Fred Willard's comedic performance from Best in Show, the pair instead come across as amusing as your drunk middle-aged parents at a frat party.

Other character "highlights" include the mind-bogglingly narrow-minded and stubborn team leader, Aubrey. Stacie provides the necessary college-aged sex-addicted tramp character (a character so over-the-top, you're guaranteed to squirm). Bumper (the captain of the boy's singing team) is a character so insanely arrogant and rude that he is not only hard to enjoy watching, he makes you want to kill every jock on the planet. Slowly.

The movie's second fatal flaw is its achingly stupid sense of humor. Yes, boys and girls, Fat Amy is funny. She has several good one liners and lends the movie its only spark of humor-related vitality. However, all else falls flat. The most achingly obvious example is the vomit-laden climax. Seriously, was that girl doing vomit-angels supposed to funny? I guess I just don't get it.

Also, for a PG-13 flick aimed at mostly female tweens, Pitch Perfect is surprisingly offensive. The movie takes heavy jabs at nerds, Asian people, Jewish people, redheads, and probably more that I fail to recall at the moment (not to mention several distasteful jokes like the one about eating another baby in the womb). Seriously, filmmakers, you aren't Sacha Baron Cohen, and you don't have the same audience.

Finally, the movie follows the most cliché (I like this word, don't I?) storyline imaginable. Girl has trouble in college. Girl meets boy who befriends her. Girl joins team of has-beens. Girl pushes away boy away because of her past and her daddy issues. Girl forced off team. Girl "learns lesson" and wins boy back and helps team of has-beens win championship. Yay, ingenuity!

Ultimately, the comedic sparks from the humorous character Fat Amy can not save Pitch Perfect. I'll be honest, this movie completely lost at the vomit scene(even Miss March was more tasteful than that!) I was quite aca-thankful when the movie came to its (very abrupt) ending.

Crazy Funny!!!

Author: dragora116 from United States
13 July 2012

Take Bring It On, Glee (not in the icky cheesy way, but because there's singing involved, the good kind), Mean Girls, and add some quick-witted, sharp-tongued dialogue and commentary, and you have the funniest of movies.

At first I was leery: a movie about A Cappella singing groups; I thought at best, it would be a teen flick. Yes, I know, Anna Kendrick. But bigger (some better) names have made some doozies. But, I was unbelievably surprised. Every kind of humour is covered here, and done to absolute perfection. You will be adopting many, many of the lines into your daily lexicon.

For me, Rebel Wilson (as Fat Amy) and Elizabeth Banks (as Gail, the commentator) have some of the most hysterically smart lines ever committed to celluloid (right up there with Young Frankenstein).

Loved it.

I would rather perfectly pitch myself off a building than watch this again.

Author: Hello_Im_David from United States
27 November 2012

I was never planning on seeing this particular movie after seeing the unfortunate trailer. However, I had heard good things about it from people who's opinions I used to trust. I won't make that mistake again. Pitch Perfect was awesomely terrible. It began innocently enough, but then it quickly devolved into a mash-up of just about every single cliché one can fathom. It has the loner girl who doesn't want to try new things but then she gets involved with a group and she has friends, yay! The girl falls for the guy, but she screws it all up, but don't worry they get back together in the end. The group starts out terrible, but then because of the new girl with fresh ideas they step up and win it all! So many eye rolls in one film!

Even after this, the worst part of the movie has to be the awful sound mixing. The songs are so doctored that one is painfully aware of the actors' lip syncing and it takes you right out of the movie. They could have at least tried to make it sound like the songs were being recorded live, rather then using so much auto tune and other forms of voice manipulation.

Then there were the plethora of jokes throughout that fell so flat it hurts. Some of those jokes were even repeated multiple times, because once wasn't bad enough. At least Rebel Wilson provides a few brief moments of relief from the onslaught of worn out and unfunny jokes.

But, like, that's just my opinion. If you like terrible things like Glee, then you will probably love this movie.

It has been years since I have seen a movie that I had such low expectations for...

Author: somf from United States
15 September 2012

That I loved so much. I scored free tickets to a Denver Screening awhile back and was just going to have my wife and 13 year old daughter go , but I watched the trailer and really thought Anna Kendrick was terrific in 50/50 and very good in Up in the Air so I thought, what the heck, I'm going too. Was I glad that I did. I laughed like crazy and loved the a capella singing. This film is really raunchy and just skirts around an R rating several times, but it is just so fun.

I am pretty confident that it is going to be the surprise box office hit of the fall and it is so much better than the films that it is bound to be compared to like Mean Girls, Bring it On, and even Bridesmaids.

Speaking of Bridesmaids Rebel Wilson almost steals the show with every scene that she is involved with being hilarious, and in a lesser movie her scenes most certainly would be worth paying the price of admission alone, but there are so many other talents involved. Elizabeth Banks has never been funnier. Skylar Astin as the love interest is also terrific though he needs to change his name, because for me the name Skylar brings only one thing to mind and she is married to Walter White.

This is no Oscar Winner, I am certain that I will see a dozen or so better movies this year, but none will having me laughing and smiling as much.

Aca-bysmal

Author: alikhat
6 July 2013

The single best thing I came away with after watching this movie was the wild relief I felt knowing that at least I didn't pay to subject myself to it. Some positive word-of-mouth made me curious enough to DVR it. An 81% rating on Rotten Tomatoes got me to sit through the whole thing (albeit with a fair amount of time spent pressing fast-forward), just to see if there was something - ANYTHING - that could justify such an absurdly high score.

Short answer: There wasn't.

I'm given to assume it got its high rating only because the studio wouldn't allow any critics to screen it without first producing proof that they possessed an IQ of 70 or under.

If you read the IMDb synopsis, you know the whole movie. Actually, if you've ever seen any film starring characters under 25, you know the whole movie. There is not a single unique idea to be found within a light year of its sorry script. Comparisons to Glee are inevitable, but the truth is, PP is so utterly dull and witless, so aggressively devoid of joy or humor or anything akin to real human feelings, it makes the worst episode of Glee look like Singin' In The Rain by comparison.

Ostensibly a comedy, the film is mercilessly unfunny. Their idea of hilarity seems to run the gamut from projectile vomiting to juvenile puns like a singing group called "The Minstral Cycles" to inserting "aca" into every exclamatory phrase, like, "Aca-scuse me?!" and "Aca-believe it!". Isn't that funny?! Aren't you just gasping for breath from the amusement of it all? ...Yeah, me neither.

The characters, who are either grotesque, shopworn stereotypes or dull, cardboard cutout caricatures, flap about from scene to scene without ever even accidentally bumping into a real human attribute or emotion. They're also supposed to be in college, but the movie is so bent on regurgitating teen film tropes that nothing they say or do is indicative of a person over 15.

You know your film is bad when you feel compelled to reference other better films to move the story along or motivate your characters. For Pitch Perfect, that other better film is The Breakfast Club, which the 2D heroine's would-be 2D boyfriend regards as the most meaningful thing ever. There's a scene where said heroine (she had a name, but really, who cares?) is sitting on her bed watching the flick on her laptop, tears welling up in her eyes to indicate some grand epiphany ...which, under the circumstances, must be her devastated realization of what a GOOD teen movie looks like.

In sum, this is a film I'd recommend only for use as a torture device on terrorists. Badly written, directed and acted with characters as irritating as a rash and music numbers so awful, even the editor's attempt to slice them into bite-sized bits couldn't make them any more palatable. Funny only for people whose sense of humor atrophied at age five and entertaining only for people who've never seen a movie before. I give this a "1" only because IMDb does not allow me to score in negative numbers.

If I could rate this 0 stars, I would.

Author: slackaxe
29 August 2013

This movie is an absolute, total, pitiful, dismal, ridiculous waste of time. I cannot possibly believe that anyone enjoys this movie. There is nothing meaningful and important, and the only reaction I have after watching this is the reaction to punch the face of the person nearest to me. I cannot relate to the characters whatsoever, and the story is maybe the weakest thing since my mother's homemade teriyaki sauce. If someone forced me to watch this again, I would gouge my eyeballs out with a spoon to avoid seeing it. Seriously, it's that bad. Never watch this movie. Ever. I cannot believe that there are people who view this as the best movie of all time. I know someone who has watched it at least 12 times and claims that it is her favorite movie. She thinks it is impacting and wonderful. The only impact that was associated with this movie to me was the impact of my fist smashing the disk into several bite sized pieces. I will never watch this movie again as long as I live.

Low point for this genre

Author: mwf-5 from Michigan
3 March 2013

Spoiler Alert (though hardly necessary for this predictable flick)

If you read IMDb's synopsis, you already know the entire story. It's the "group of teen misfits who band together and win a competition" movie. You've it a dozen times before.

This one has an updated, 2012 soundtrack, but all the other overdone cliché's for this genre are fully intact.

If, however, you find slick, unrealistic, overproduced, a cappella singing to be pure joy (Glee fan?), then you may find this movie tolerable.

On the other hand, if you value your free time, pass this one up. You will be spared several scenes of projectile vomiting, and the "riff-off" (which will likely induce your own nausea).

Offensive, Sloppy and Heartless

Author: stefanpulpitel
18 April 2013

Pitch Perfect is certainly a wildly popular movie, that came highly recommended by countless friends and family. I had no idea what it was about beyond 'singing,' so I fired up the DVD player at Château Pulpitel, and eagerly awaited the many laughs I was assured this film would provide.

Now they never really came. This film is as best I can gather, 'Glee: The Movie' with the basic plot elements of your 'Bring it On' style films. So if you love any of that stuff, stop reading now and go watch it. You'll love this film so you needn't bother about my opinions.

Okay, it's just us now, right?

Where this movie falls apart is in two aspects; firstly its complete disinterest in logic pertaining even to its own universe, and more worryingly, it has an offensive attitude that is nothing short of racist, sexist and more suited to your standard right wing attitude in its portrayal of non-Caucasians, Jewish people, people with eating disorders and women in general.

This movie doesn't care about what happened before, or why something is happening now. It's one big Deus ex machina from beginning to end. Why did Ben Platt's' character Benji, turn up as stage manager at the regional sing off event? Everyone else had to drive on the bus to get there. Where was he? Why was he a stage manager at another university, when he is a freshman amateur magician? Why was it that the best way to get rid of Adam Devine's' character Bumper was to have a hastily created scene with him immediately leaving to work with John Mayer- negating any interest in his relationship with Rebel Wilsons' appallingly offensive and unfunny Big Amy character? Why does no one EVER study? THey don't even carry books, or pens, or seem to talk about their subjects! This movie shows us countless avenues of interest and then never refer to them again. It sets up characters and dumps them never to be seen again. We are shown four acapella groups, one of which NEVER does anything, at all! Why bother with all of these settings if you never refer to it again? Because no one cared that much, would be my guess.

More shamefully however, is the constant prejudicial attitudes displayed in this film. This movie attempts to be funny by being daring, and outrageous. So we get not one, but two Asian characters who are simply awful stereotypes. One is a racist angry dorm- mate with the main protagonist, who manages to be an unlikeable bitchy Asian stereotype. The other is a 'crazy Asian' stereotype, who is a pyromaniac who rolls around in vomit. You know, because Asians can't be complex and meaningful. They are either bitchy nerds of perverts. We aren't allowed to hear non-white characters speak too much either- our token black character gets around 4 lines (you can't count the singing, because its all clearly auto tuned and added in post) but gets to be a problem gambling lesbian. But there's no motivation given, no reasoning. And after the moment of confession, NO ONE CARES. Maybe it's because she is black? The script writers were right to think that you can do great joke about racist stereotypes, but they missed the concept that you make fun of the behaviour and attitudes of racism, and expose the ridiculousness of it. What they do here is reinforce stereotypes, which should not be amusing for empathetic, caring members of the human race. But we plough deeper into this morass, with obesity, bulimia and deafness copping a serve. I strongly feel that no subject is off limits for humour, but you need to be funny. Making fun of Deaf Jews, Lesbians and Asians is not the same as being funny.

I found this to be a fairly heartless film, where morality and heart are irrelevances, and not one that I could recommend to others. This is not what comedy should be, if we're a truly civilised people.

Where's the musical?

Author: Philipe14 from United States
14 May 2015

Lots of fans could hardly wait for the sequel to come out, and now that it's here, I went back and watched PP again to see if I missed something. Nope, all that junk is still there. I was hoping to see a musical, but a vapid teen/college comedy showed up instead with a sprinkling of "music" in it. Most of the major roles were occupied by actors closer to 30 than college age at the time the movie was made. The music is spotty, at best, and the lip-syncing/dubbing is terrible. A lot of "fat girls are funny" humor involving Rebel Wilson's character (can she actually do comedy, or just Funny Fat Girl stuff?) And when they resort to vomit humor more than once, you know a movie is short on writing talent. The only bright spot is Anna Kendrick, and her solo with that coffee mug. I can hardly wait for PP2 to come out - - - at the $2 video rental box, it's a sequel I can wait for....

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]