IMDb > Pitch Perfect (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Crazy Funny!!!

Author: dragora116 from United States
13 July 2012

Take Bring It On, Glee (not in the icky cheesy way, but because there's singing involved, the good kind), Mean Girls, and add some quick-witted, sharp-tongued dialogue and commentary, and you have the funniest of movies.

At first I was leery: a movie about A Cappella singing groups; I thought at best, it would be a teen flick. Yes, I know, Anna Kendrick. But bigger (some better) names have made some doozies. But, I was unbelievably surprised. Every kind of humour is covered here, and done to absolute perfection. You will be adopting many, many of the lines into your daily lexicon.

For me, Rebel Wilson (as Fat Amy) and Elizabeth Banks (as Gail, the commentator) have some of the most hysterically smart lines ever committed to celluloid (right up there with Young Frankenstein).

Loved it.

Watch out - you're going to like it whether you want to or not!

Author: penwah2 from United States
5 October 2012

We two 50+ grandmas went to see this film on the spur of the moment because we enjoy musical movies. We were probably the oldest people in the audience which ranged down to younger teens but everyone, regardless of age, was laughing and having a grand time. Much less schmaltzy and self-serious than Glee, but wonderful vocals and dancing and personality. You can't help but fall in love with the hilariously quirky characters, especially Rebel Wilson as the irrepressible Fat Amy, Elizabeth Banks as Gail, the sexually frustrated female announcer, and Hanna Mae Lee as Lilly, the wackadoo who releases the most shocking comments in a voice that barely exceeds a murmur. Fun, feel-good and highly entertaining.

It has been years since I have seen a movie that I had such low expectations for...

Author: somf from United States
15 September 2012

That I loved so much. I scored free tickets to a Denver Screening awhile back and was just going to have my wife and 13 year old daughter go , but I watched the trailer and really thought Anna Kendrick was terrific in 50/50 and very good in Up in the Air so I thought, what the heck, I'm going too. Was I glad that I did. I laughed like crazy and loved the a capella singing. This film is really raunchy and just skirts around an R rating several times, but it is just so fun.

I am pretty confident that it is going to be the surprise box office hit of the fall and it is so much better than the films that it is bound to be compared to like Mean Girls, Bring it On, and even Bridesmaids.

Speaking of Bridesmaids Rebel Wilson almost steals the show with every scene that she is involved with being hilarious, and in a lesser movie her scenes most certainly would be worth paying the price of admission alone, but there are so many other talents involved. Elizabeth Banks has never been funnier. Skylar Astin as the love interest is also terrific though he needs to change his name, because for me the name Skylar brings only one thing to mind and she is married to Walter White.

This is no Oscar Winner, I am certain that I will see a dozen or so better movies this year, but none will having me laughing and smiling as much.

Aca-mazing. Truly enjoyed Pitch Perfect.

Author: taylordemski from College Station
12 September 2012

I absolutely loved this movie. Saw an advanced screening and the entire theater was laughing and clapping throughout the movie! Refreshing to see a comedy and musical combo. A lot like Glee (minus the cheesy factor) mixed with witty comedy like in Bridesmaids and other modern popular comedies. Great casting! Any college girl is bound to love it. This is a movie even my mom would enjoy. It held my interest throughout and i think it was well produced. My boyfriend even enjoyed the comedy aspect of it! A great girls night out movie choice or even a date night movie. I feel like overall everybody loved it, I definitely did. I hope this movie earns the recognition it deserves. Its going to be a hit among young audiences like myself!

What "Glee" Wishes it Could Be.

Author: Markus Emilio Robinson
7 October 2012

"Pitch Perfect" is basically "Bring It On", but with a cappella singing groups instead of cheerleaders…and it's also a million times funnier. Directed by Jason Moore and adapted by Kay Cannon from Mickey Rapkin's novel, "Pitch Perfect" tells the story of Beca (played by Anna Kendrick) an aspiring DJ attending Barden University, who's hobbies include seclusion, nonconforming and listening to Mashups (which kind of makes her a conformist). In an attempt to have Beca become more socially active, her father (who is also a professor at the University) urges her to join a club on campus. But upon perusing each club (especially the glee clubs) she quickly decides that the loner lifestyle is far less humiliating. That is, until a rather awkwardly nude run-in with one of the members of the The Bellas, an all-girl a cappella group on campus that sings nothing but Ace of Base. And since The Bellas are coming off of an embarrassing loss at the previous year's singing competition, Beca, as well as a multitude of other "a ca-losers"; including Fat Amy (as advertized) and Lilly, the girl who can apparently speak no higher than a whisper, are asked to try out in a desperate hope that a group of misfits could be just the thing that sends the conservative Bellas all the way to the finals of the national Glee-esque competition. And if this doesn't sound generic enough, there is also a love story subplot centered around Beca and a guy who looks shockingly like Dane Cook. OK, so if this sounds like every teen flick that you've ever seen, about a misunderstood misfit who ends up helping the popular kids (that were mean to her in the beginning of the movie) win their something-or-other championship/tournament, only to discover that in the end that they are all the same no matter their social standing, then that is only because, from synopsis alone, "Pitch Perfect is exactly that. But before you write this dark horse off, let me just say that due to a sharply satirical script and a surprisingly hilarious, eccentric and immensely engaging cast, which include the likes of Brittany Snow, Hana Mae Lee, Rebel Wilson (as Fat Amy) Skylar Astin and Anna Kendrick, giving a performance which not only solidifies herself as a true leading lady in any genre, but also as the new Kristen Bell, but with talent, "Pitch Perfect" does elevate itself far above the mundane-ness of your everyday teen comedy. In fact, from the non-stop laughs, to the quite satirical teenage dialogue, to the perfectly hilarious "Best in Show"-esque banter from Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins, who play the two commentators of the national a cappella competition, "Pitch Perfect", aside from a curiously abrupt ending, works on EVERY level; even in its rarest of sappy moments.

"Pitch Perfect" vs. "Glee": The main reason "Pitch Perfect" works so well is actually quite simple. Where "Glee" is so in love with its self-proclaimed perception that glee clubs are the new "cool", this is a comedy that isn't afraid to make fun of a cappella groups, glee clubs and people randomly breaking out into song, while at the same time presenting interesting characters that audiences want to root for. So, if you where thinking of avoiding this film on the basis of your dislike of "Glee" (or that awful show "The Sing-Off") but find yourself being dragged to see it anyways, no need to worry because chances are you will be happily surprised by what "Pitch Perfect" has to offer.

Final Thought: Even though most of the comedy here is on the cruder side, this is still a PG-13 venture. In short, "Pitch Perfect" is not the raunchy female buddy comedy, filled with overlong skits about feces that "Bridesmaids" was. But good news…"Pitch Perfect" is so much more funny and (more importantly) more accessible than "Bridesmaids" will ever be. What I mean by "accessible" is, men will be able to watch this movie without hearing the phrase: "You wouldn't get it because you're a man." All kidding aside, I haven't seen a comedy with this much clever teenage personality since "Easy A". So, in the comedic cesspool that has been 2012, filled with half-assed attempts such as "That's My Boy" and "The Watch", "Pitch Perfect" is not only my pick for the biggest surprise to come out of the genre this year, but also the funniest movie of the year (so far); narrowly edging out "21 Jump Street".

Written by Markus Robinson, Edited by Nicole I. Ashland

Follow me on Twitter @moviesmarkus

Aca-pathetic

Author: OrsonLannister from United States
10 October 2012

Most of the people I saw Pitch Perfect with truly enjoyed it. They laughed and clapped and booed at me when I expressed my disgust. For many, this movie will definitely be enjoyable. Make no mistake, that does not make it any less of an awful movie.

Several factors contribute to my low opinion of Pitch Perfect. The largest of these concerns is the cast of characters. While there are few complaints in the acting department, the characters themselves are among the worst set of "people" committed to screen in recent memory.

"Beca" (is that spelling supposed to be hip or something?) is an arrogant, brooding, selfish brat who spends most of her time sulking on her computer and complaining about being forced to go to COLLEGE and be with PEOPLE (blegh, right?!). This is a perfect setup for character development, right? Wrong. After a half-hearted apology for being a terrible human being before the climax, Beca morphs not into an upstanding social and moral butterfly, but a smug leader of the troop she so recently was kicked off of, and this is the image the audience is left with.

"Jesse" is the most cliché love interest one can imagine. Seriously, girls, if you ever meet a guy this perfect and blameless, marry him. Jesse prances throughout the movie being sweet to everybody, from his unrealistically nerdy roommate to the jerks he sings with. He pursues Beca valiantly for no particular reason and provides the cliché moral criticism Beca so desperately needs late in the movie (but of course he takes her back). While girls might be enthralled by this sentiment, no true development can occur through a character who is so blatantly one-dimensional.

Worst of all are the two commentators for the sing-offs, Gail and John. These two buffoons spew dialogue that is not only shockingly inappropriate for television/radio, they simply aren't funny. While clearly trying to channel Fred Willard's comedic performance from Best in Show, the pair instead come across as amusing as your drunk middle-aged parents at a frat party.

Other character "highlights" include the mind-bogglingly narrow-minded and stubborn team leader, Aubrey. Stacie provides the necessary college-aged sex-addicted tramp character (a character so over-the-top, you're guaranteed to squirm). Bumper (the captain of the boy's singing team) is a character so insanely arrogant and rude that he is not only hard to enjoy watching, he makes you want to kill every jock on the planet. Slowly.

The movie's second fatal flaw is its achingly stupid sense of humor. Yes, boys and girls, Fat Amy is funny. She has several good one liners and lends the movie its only spark of humor-related vitality. However, all else falls flat. The most achingly obvious example is the vomit-laden climax. Seriously, was that girl doing vomit-angels supposed to funny? I guess I just don't get it.

Also, for a PG-13 flick aimed at mostly female tweens, Pitch Perfect is surprisingly offensive. The movie takes heavy jabs at nerds, Asian people, Jewish people, redheads, and probably more that I fail to recall at the moment (not to mention several distasteful jokes like the one about eating another baby in the womb). Seriously, filmmakers, you aren't Sacha Baron Cohen, and you don't have the same audience.

Finally, the movie follows the most cliché (I like this word, don't I?) storyline imaginable. Girl has trouble in college. Girl meets boy who befriends her. Girl joins team of has-beens. Girl pushes away boy away because of her past and her daddy issues. Girl forced off team. Girl "learns lesson" and wins boy back and helps team of has-beens win championship. Yay, ingenuity!

Ultimately, the comedic sparks from the humorous character Fat Amy can not save Pitch Perfect. I'll be honest, this movie completely lost at the vomit scene(even Miss March was more tasteful than that!) I was quite aca-thankful when the movie came to its (very abrupt) ending.

Something Special

Author: rivertam26 from United States
28 September 2012

I didn't want to like it. Despite what you may think I don't want to like movies like this . I hate myself for it. But there's such an overwhelming charm when things are executed just right and I just can't help it. Pitch Perfect centers on Becca played the emerging star Anna Kendrick (in a role which will solidify her status if it its as big as it deserves ) a freshman at college. Her father is a professor and she's angsty and rebellious. After a brief set up we enter the unknown world of acapella singing, Which is singing with no instruments. Apparently a huge thing at this college and we meet different groups there well 2 mostly the troublemakers an all male group that always slays the competition and the Bellas who churn out the same old fashioned nonsense and are recovering from a year that didn't end well to say the least. After some persuasion Becca joins the Bellas looking to add some of her much needed zest to liven up the competition.I'm sure you can guess what happens and it's no lie that the film is formulaic in that way. However, the approach to the material is what differentiates it. It's handled with an original, saucy, smart originality. it doesn't downplay it's focus but instead celebrates it in all it's corny glory. The film takes a little getting used to but about half way through i was so sold on all the wonderful characters and the films undeniable charm. Filled with exciting musical numbers and solid performances from Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy, the adorable Skylar Kenstin as Beccas love interest and so many others Pitch perfect is something truly special. Not to say t's flawless it's a little amateur in spots and Brittany Snow's character feels a little confusing. But it's easy to overlook the small stuff when the film is so entertaining.

Musical done right

Author: kgmarra from United States
14 October 2012

This new comedic musical is right on pitch. Anna Kendrick plays Beca, a student at Barden University whose dream is to move to LA and become a DJ. Beca is uninterested in college, to say the least. Her father is a professor at her school and he advises her to join clubs to get more involved. Beca starts to work at the school radio station along with her admirer, Jesse (Skylar Astin).

When Beca's voice is heard by Chloe (Brittany Snow), one of the main girls of The Barden Bellas a capella group, Beca is recruited into this singing group. Jesse ends up joining the rival all-boys a capella group called The Treble Makers.

Beca soon realizes that The Bellas need some new music in order to improve their reputation and make it to the finals. However, the leader of the group, Aubrey (Anna Camp), is quite headstrong and refuses to change their music. The tension between these girls and The Treble Makers continues to grow and everything begins to unfold.

Walking into this movie with very low expectations, I definitely was pleasantly surprised. It is a musical done right. There is no breaking out into song; the only time people sing is during competitions. In fact, the music is terrific and I can't wait to download the entire soundtrack.

I was expecting slapstick comedy, especially with Rebel Wilson in the cast, but "Pitch Perfect" rests at the borderline. Speaking of Rebel, this movie would be nothing without her. Hilarious lines mixed with her perfect comedic timing equals a workout for your abs. It comes very close to stupidity but it doesn't quite cross the line.

"Pitch Perfect" is cute, silly, and fun. If you're looking for some laughs, take a watch. I give it a 7 out of 10.

I would rather perfectly pitch myself off a building than watch this again.

Author: Hello_Im_David from United States
27 November 2012

I was never planning on seeing this particular movie after seeing the unfortunate trailer. However, I had heard good things about it from people who's opinions I used to trust. I won't make that mistake again. Pitch Perfect was awesomely terrible. It began innocently enough, but then it quickly devolved into a mash-up of just about every single cliché one can fathom. It has the loner girl who doesn't want to try new things but then she gets involved with a group and she has friends, yay! The girl falls for the guy, but she screws it all up, but don't worry they get back together in the end. The group starts out terrible, but then because of the new girl with fresh ideas they step up and win it all! So many eye rolls in one film!

Even after this, the worst part of the movie has to be the awful sound mixing. The songs are so doctored that one is painfully aware of the actors' lip syncing and it takes you right out of the movie. They could have at least tried to make it sound like the songs were being recorded live, rather then using so much auto tune and other forms of voice manipulation.

Then there were the plethora of jokes throughout that fell so flat it hurts. Some of those jokes were even repeated multiple times, because once wasn't bad enough. At least Rebel Wilson provides a few brief moments of relief from the onslaught of worn out and unfunny jokes.

But, like, that's just my opinion. If you like terrible things like Glee, then you will probably love this movie.

Aca-bysmal

Author: alikhat
6 July 2013

The single best thing I came away with after watching this movie was the wild relief I felt knowing that at least I didn't pay to subject myself to it. Some positive word-of-mouth made me curious enough to DVR it. An 81% rating on Rotten Tomatoes got me to sit through the whole thing (albeit with a fair amount of time spent pressing fast-forward), just to see if there was something - ANYTHING - that could justify such an absurdly high score.

Short answer: There wasn't.

I'm given to assume it got its high rating only because the studio wouldn't allow any critics to screen it without first producing proof that they possessed an IQ of 70 or under.

If you read the IMDb synopsis, you know the whole movie. Actually, if you've ever seen any film starring characters under 25, you know the whole movie. There is not a single unique idea to be found within a light year of its sorry script. Comparisons to Glee are inevitable, but the truth is, PP is so utterly dull and witless, so aggressively devoid of joy or humor or anything akin to real human feelings, it makes the worst episode of Glee look like Singin' In The Rain by comparison.

Ostensibly a comedy, the film is mercilessly unfunny. Their idea of hilarity seems to run the gamut from projectile vomiting to juvenile puns like a singing group called "The Minstral Cycles" to inserting "aca" into every exclamatory phrase, like, "Aca-scuse me?!" and "Aca-believe it!". Isn't that funny?! Aren't you just gasping for breath from the amusement of it all? ...Yeah, me neither.

The characters, who are either grotesque, shopworn stereotypes or dull, cardboard cutout caricatures, flap about from scene to scene without ever even accidentally bumping into a real human attribute or emotion. They're also supposed to be in college, but the movie is so bent on regurgitating teen film tropes that nothing they say or do is indicative of a person over 15.

You know your film is bad when you feel compelled to reference other better films to move the story along or motivate your characters. For Pitch Perfect, that other better film is The Breakfast Club, which the 2D heroine's would-be 2D boyfriend regards as the most meaningful thing ever. There's a scene where said heroine (she had a name, but really, who cares?) is sitting on her bed watching the flick on her laptop, tears welling up in her eyes to indicate some grand epiphany ...which, under the circumstances, must be her devastated realization of what a GOOD teen movie looks like.

In sum, this is a film I'd recommend only for use as a torture device on terrorists. Badly written, directed and acted with characters as irritating as a rash and music numbers so awful, even the editor's attempt to slice them into bite-sized bits couldn't make them any more palatable. Funny only for people whose sense of humor atrophied at age five and entertaining only for people who've never seen a movie before. I give this a "1" only because IMDb does not allow me to score in negative numbers.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]