IMDb > "Key and Peele" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Key and Peele"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Key and Peele" More at IMDbPro »

Started out slow, keeps getting better

Author: Austin Daboss from United States
2 March 2012

When I first heard of Key and Peele, I was very skeptical, since I never found MadTV to be extraordinarily funny, and these two guys never stood out to me on that show even. When I watched the first episode I wasn't pleasantly surprised, as the stand up acts were dry and the sketches were very hit/miss. Luckily I don't have a remote, so I watch comedy central pretty much all of the time my television is on. This means I watched the episodes succeeding the first, and I must say, they only get better. I found my self laughing hysterically at the last episode I saw, particularly at a sketch involving a group of Republicans disagreeing with Obama regardless of what he is saying. The stand up is a bit better too, but their main purpose is still to give the following sketches some context. All in all, Key and Peele have a good base with their smart writing and creative sketches, and they could have a great show if they continue to build upon that base.

Clever and Ahead of it's time

Author: Ebonic Scholar from United States
15 July 2012

I was a bit afraid when I saw the teasers but blown away by the production value! Comedy is not just something to make you laugh. Comedy has levels to it watching Key & Peele I saw tragedy, Irony and humanity. There have been very few thought provoking comedy shows that have made me copy and paste youtube links and mail them to my friends. Key & Peele have somewhat tedious dialogs about their humdrum lives (sorry guys) But their comedic insights are brilliantly creative and should be revisited as ongoing themed webseries. I swear Jordan Peele is so dedicated to his scenes that his focus alone makes me laugh. This show is incredible and I search for new episodes of it in my comedy central on demand. Keep up the good work guys

Best sketch comedy show I've seen since Chappelle's Show

Author: SeriousJest from United States
10 December 2012

I saw their "I Said Bitch" skit a few months ago when one of my friends shared it on Facebook. It caught me off guard with how clever, perfectly-timed, well-acted, multi-dimensional, and downright funny it was. I told myself that I would definitely start watching this show…but my hectic schedule caught up with me, and it faded from my memory before I was able to set aside time to watch one episode.

But the videos kept going viral on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and after clicking on "McFerrin vs. Winslow," "Ultimate Fighting Match Preview," "Yo Mama Has Health Problems," and "Gay Marriage Legalized," I was hooked! Next thing I know, I was ripping through episodes on Hulu, and posting and emailing episodes to my friends…I was even pulling co- workers into my office and telling them, "You HAVE to watch this sketch RIGHT NOW…it's only 4 minutes long."

This is the closest production I've found to Chappelle's Show, although the comparison isn't exactly fair. Chappelle's Show was outrageous and far beyond the bounds of anything anyone had seen on TV before (not taking away from the fact that it was extremely creative, witty, and funny), leading to ROTFLMAOs. Key and Peele is a bit more subdued, and much of its humor lies in its subtext. You'll still get a few ROTFLMAOs, but a lot of the laughs may just be LOLs, or smirks. Not every skit is a hit, but the producers manage to cut the less-funny skits before they get annoying, unlike Saturday Night Live (again, an unfair comparison because that show is live, while Key and Peele is pre- taped and edited).

Key and Peele are both extremely witty, charismatic, and talented comedians and actors. I enjoy their two-man stand up (I think it's a successful formula, when you have the right team), and watching the entire episodes actually allows you to enjoy the episodes more than simply watching them on YouTube because the setups often give you additional insight. Dave Chappelle used to do the same thing successfully. Peele's imitation of President Obama is impressive, and the "Anger Translator" skits are hilarious. I can't wait until Season 3.

For more reviews and a kickass podcast, check out: www.livemancave.com

Genius

Author: rzajac from Taichung, Taiwan
28 November 2014

I'm not saying it's perfect. Genius is not equal to Perfect. It's a little hit and miss... and yet I feel it deserves a '10'.

I think it deserves this because these guys (and their writers, natch!) have stumbled upon a wondrous land of infinite possibility. Not many people attain to this; which restriction is also an indicator of true artistry. From top to bottom, the produced sketches reek of talent and inspiration. From conception to writing to directing to acting... We are treated to comedy on blue-flame fire. It's head humor, it's body humor, it's slapstick, it's transcendent, it's bestial.

It'll be interesting to see how long ComCent lets it run.

And, btw, I PREFER the new format (using road trip bits as ligature).

Highlights: S04E03; Georgina and Esther (*gotta* watch it uncensored!). S04E10; The scat duel (brutally mocking and lovingly homaging the tradition at the very same time!).

I'm looking forward to K&P continuing on an upward trajectory... Forever and Ever, AMEN.

In the pantheon

Author: getupday from United States
11 June 2015

Key and Peele are the most acerbic, gutsy, and funny duo on American television today. In fact, comedy duos seem to be a lost art form in the United States (gone are the days of Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello, and Martin and Lewis). Perhaps, that's why Key and Peele seems fresh, while at the same time, hearkening back to pre-war era comedy. The writing is heavy on satire, but the performances are rife with pratfalls. In an era of snark and ironic distance, it's invigorating to watch a comedy in love with the execution of a sketch, not just the target of a joke. The cinematography also elevates the show above the usual crop, with its filmic look and splendid editing. Noting about this show is slapdash (Judd Apatow improv, this ain't). The show's writing and performing is deliberate and the dividends are many! Highly recommended.

Best if they made fun of famous news and clips

Author: dochuskyblackmoon
29 February 2012

Some stuff like "I got shot in the penis" was just wrong, but the "Racoon not Zombie bite" and "Unicorn Sighting" are very good! They take famous you tube clips, movies, and news and creates a spoof off of them. However I miss the "Bad Luck" skits and "Deal of no Deal" spoofs on Mad TV. The on stage jokes and skits that were done in front of an audience need a lot of work on, it can be funny from time to time however they tend to be stretched from what actually happened, for example, how key talks about how he cant sit in his seat while he laughs on a plane. Needs work but it seems like there is a lot of potential for this show.

The Thief of Though.

Author: rodsweis from mars
5 February 2012

In the current state of movies and TV shows, executives try their best to appeal to a demographic obsessed with authenticity and genuine absurdity with purpose. With that being a handicap for some, most writing leans more toward absurdity for the sake of being absurd for no reason. When that happens, the line between genuine originality and simple stupidity becomes blurred. However, this show is the perfect polar opposite. Key and Peele manage to merge genuine ridiculousness with unparalleled brilliance. This show is sheer genius cloaked behind sheer nonsense which makes it the quintessential candidate that will represent absurdity and brilliance alike, and without prejudice. The very thing Shakespeare once held true himself.

Key and Peele make SNL look like the worst episode on Sesame Street

Author: Harrison Tweed from Canada
4 March 2017

Key and Peele make SNL look like the worst episode on Sesame Street.

If these two where put on earth to do this series and that's it, we've been blessed.

This is top shelf comedic brilliance in every aspect. The quality of the skits is outstanding. I'm shocked how they fit so much entertainment in 30 min. Yet it leaves me smiling all day. Even the extra actors in the skits have better acting skills than most of the hosts on SNL.

Good days or bad days, these guys make me laugh.

My only complaint is that I wish each episode was at least 60 min.

And very sad this legendary series is over.

The sketches are the best

Author: Sarah
2 December 2016

The stand-up parts of the show aren't that great, but the sketches are always hilarious. I normally skip the stand-up show, but its the sketches that really make it worth watching. Key and Peele is definitely my favorite sketch show, despite the lackluster stand-up in between. Sketches come across really well over a screen, but for stand-up you really just need to be there in the room. It loses a lot if you're not. They make some of the funniest sketches I've ever seen though. They're always very funny and very high quality. A lot of work goes into the design, the sets, the costumes, the characters, even the acting; its all very well crafted. And the humor is very on point. Its a shame the shows no longer running, hopefully someday it comes back.

Funny, Clever, New Perspective.

Author: Robocog
6 June 2016

The show is pretty funny, the some of the skits they do are a little bland and generic, for example the "These Nuts" skit, and they do recycle skits every now and then (East/West, Slap-Ass), but a lot of the skits they do are hysterical, and clever. I understand some people hate the show, and the skits, making arguments that it's just a rerun Chappelle Show, but it is humor, and one type of humor can't speak to everyone. Personally, I love the show, and wish everyone else did too, but like everything ever created, there are flaws here and there. If you enjoy laughing at social tropes, and find humor about how things are today, then I encourage you to watch the show. If you don't like this type of humor, then don't watch the show.