Key and Peele (TV Series 2012–2015) Poster

(2012–2015)

26 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Started out slow, keeps getting better
Austin Daboss2 March 2012
When I first heard of Key and Peele, I was very skeptical, since I never found MadTV to be extraordinarily funny, and these two guys never stood out to me on that show even. When I watched the first episode I wasn't pleasantly surprised, as the stand up acts were dry and the sketches were very hit/miss. Luckily I don't have a remote, so I watch comedy central pretty much all of the time my television is on. This means I watched the episodes succeeding the first, and I must say, they only get better. I found my self laughing hysterically at the last episode I saw, particularly at a sketch involving a group of Republicans disagreeing with Obama regardless of what he is saying. The stand up is a bit better too, but their main purpose is still to give the following sketches some context. All in all, Key and Peele have a good base with their smart writing and creative sketches, and they could have a great show if they continue to build upon that base.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Clever and Ahead of it's time
Ebonic Scholar15 July 2012
I was a bit afraid when I saw the teasers but blown away by the production value! Comedy is not just something to make you laugh. Comedy has levels to it watching Key & Peele I saw tragedy, Irony and humanity. There have been very few thought provoking comedy shows that have made me copy and paste youtube links and mail them to my friends. Key & Peele have somewhat tedious dialogs about their humdrum lives (sorry guys) But their comedic insights are brilliantly creative and should be revisited as ongoing themed webseries. I swear Jordan Peele is so dedicated to his scenes that his focus alone makes me laugh. This show is incredible and I search for new episodes of it in my comedy central on demand. Keep up the good work guys
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best sketch comedy show I've seen since Chappelle's Show
SeriousJest10 December 2012
I saw their "I Said Bitch" skit a few months ago when one of my friends shared it on Facebook. It caught me off guard with how clever, perfectly-timed, well-acted, multi-dimensional, and downright funny it was. I told myself that I would definitely start watching this show…but my hectic schedule caught up with me, and it faded from my memory before I was able to set aside time to watch one episode.

But the videos kept going viral on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and after clicking on "McFerrin vs. Winslow," "Ultimate Fighting Match Preview," "Yo Mama Has Health Problems," and "Gay Marriage Legalized," I was hooked! Next thing I know, I was ripping through episodes on Hulu, and posting and emailing episodes to my friends…I was even pulling co- workers into my office and telling them, "You HAVE to watch this sketch RIGHT NOW…it's only 4 minutes long."

This is the closest production I've found to Chappelle's Show, although the comparison isn't exactly fair. Chappelle's Show was outrageous and far beyond the bounds of anything anyone had seen on TV before (not taking away from the fact that it was extremely creative, witty, and funny), leading to ROTFLMAOs. Key and Peele is a bit more subdued, and much of its humor lies in its subtext. You'll still get a few ROTFLMAOs, but a lot of the laughs may just be LOLs, or smirks. Not every skit is a hit, but the producers manage to cut the less-funny skits before they get annoying, unlike Saturday Night Live (again, an unfair comparison because that show is live, while Key and Peele is pre- taped and edited).

Key and Peele are both extremely witty, charismatic, and talented comedians and actors. I enjoy their two-man stand up (I think it's a successful formula, when you have the right team), and watching the entire episodes actually allows you to enjoy the episodes more than simply watching them on YouTube because the setups often give you additional insight. Dave Chappelle used to do the same thing successfully. Peele's imitation of President Obama is impressive, and the "Anger Translator" skits are hilarious. I can't wait until Season 3.

For more reviews and a kickass podcast, check out: www.livemancave.com
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Thief of Though.
rodsweis5 February 2012
In the current state of movies and TV shows, executives try their best to appeal to a demographic obsessed with authenticity and genuine absurdity with purpose. With that being a handicap for some, most writing leans more toward absurdity for the sake of being absurd for no reason. When that happens, the line between genuine originality and simple stupidity becomes blurred. However, this show is the perfect polar opposite. Key and Peele manage to merge genuine ridiculousness with unparalleled brilliance. This show is sheer genius cloaked behind sheer nonsense which makes it the quintessential candidate that will represent absurdity and brilliance alike, and without prejudice. The very thing Shakespeare once held true himself.
23 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Genius
rzajac28 November 2014
I'm not saying it's perfect. Genius is not equal to Perfect. It's a little hit and miss... and yet I feel it deserves a '10'.

I think it deserves this because these guys (and their writers, natch!) have stumbled upon a wondrous land of infinite possibility. Not many people attain to this; which restriction is also an indicator of true artistry. From top to bottom, the produced sketches reek of talent and inspiration. From conception to writing to directing to acting... We are treated to comedy on blue-flame fire. It's head humor, it's body humor, it's slapstick, it's transcendent, it's bestial.

It'll be interesting to see how long ComCent lets it run.

And, btw, I PREFER the new format (using road trip bits as ligature).

Highlights: S04E03; Georgina and Esther (*gotta* watch it uncensored!). S04E10; The scat duel (brutally mocking and lovingly homaging the tradition at the very same time!).

I'm looking forward to K&P continuing on an upward trajectory... Forever and Ever, AMEN.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best if they made fun of famous news and clips
dochuskyblackmoon29 February 2012
Some stuff like "I got shot in the penis" was just wrong, but the "Racoon not Zombie bite" and "Unicorn Sighting" are very good! They take famous you tube clips, movies, and news and creates a spoof off of them. However I miss the "Bad Luck" skits and "Deal of no Deal" spoofs on Mad TV. The on stage jokes and skits that were done in front of an audience need a lot of work on, it can be funny from time to time however they tend to be stretched from what actually happened, for example, how key talks about how he cant sit in his seat while he laughs on a plane. Needs work but it seems like there is a lot of potential for this show.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In the pantheon
getupday11 June 2015
Key and Peele are the most acerbic, gutsy, and funny duo on American television today. In fact, comedy duos seem to be a lost art form in the United States (gone are the days of Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello, and Martin and Lewis). Perhaps, that's why Key and Peele seems fresh, while at the same time, hearkening back to pre-war era comedy. The writing is heavy on satire, but the performances are rife with pratfalls. In an era of snark and ironic distance, it's invigorating to watch a comedy in love with the execution of a sketch, not just the target of a joke. The cinematography also elevates the show above the usual crop, with its filmic look and splendid editing. Noting about this show is slapdash (Judd Apatow improv, this ain't). The show's writing and performing is deliberate and the dividends are many! Highly recommended.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really very bad , unfortunately
mikelmike7715 February 2012
This show is truly awful , I knew from watching the promos that it was going to be bad because not a single ad was funny . But I had no idea how bad it could be until I watched it , I was not disappointed . I don't know how anyone could interpret this stuff as funny , how they could sit there watch it and put it on the air , its a shame . I realize it must be difficult to put a funny skit show together , but why put garbage that is not at all funny , and I mean NOT AT ALL FUNNY !!! On the air ? It supposed to be very street and in the hood humor thats has an edge , and Peele resembles Pres. Obama nicely when made up , but they don't even use that to their advantage . Just not funny , Key has the habit of just yelling a lot and thinking that makes it funny , Peele who I think is the more funny of the two seems somewhat lost as if he knows how bad it is and is waiting for it to be realized . I don't blame you , take the money and the exposure ( any publicity is good ) as long as you can .
17 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its hard making a sketch show...
garwhite4415 February 2012
Remember a guy named Dave Chappelle? Take him and dilute his blackness between two guys and you have Key and Peele.

The show is designed exactly the same as a lot of other shows focused around one or two people; quick stand-up bits between skits. This being said, the show is pretty good. Its not all laughs all the time but when they nail a joke they really do NAIL it.

If you like racial humour mixed with truly creative writing (in the skits at least) then you should probably watch the first few episodes. The only bad thing about this show is the over-scripted and frankly very awkward stand up bits in front of the audience. Good show, good guys, bad stand-up. The skits are way to good to stop watching this show just cause of a little bad stand-up (which they might figure out SUCKS later on) i'll keep my digits crossed.
11 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not bad but needs a few changes...
Cpt_JackSparrow5 February 2012
At first when I heard of a Comedy sketch show starring 2 bi-racial (half black-half white) guys who's sketches coincide with them being bi-racial, it didn't sound too appealing.

However, I saw a small clip of "Key & Peele" on Conan and found the clip to be very funny. So, I decided to catch it on TV.

To my surprise, I was not disappointed. Not all of it is laugh out loud funny but it does make you smirk and at times you do indeed laugh out loud. The opening sequence was hilarious.

"Key and Peele" do grow on you. That being said, there is still a lot of work needed. For example, cutting out the whole stand-up bit they do in front of a live audience in between sketches.

The show should be purely a sketch show. Much like Portlandia. It is the same concept for Portlandia except for that it is the "black version".

The show is funny to all demographics especially black and white Americans which I believe was the main aim.

I will definitely be watching the next episode.
12 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Has its Ups and Downs.
RyanDaG201321 November 2013
The show will either keep me straight faced or in hysterics! Some really great writing and acting! Some skits are really not funny and should be skipped, either I don't get the joke or they're just generally not funny I don't know. But others are really good, no spoilers but a skit in Episode 5 of Season 1 is one of my favourites. The stereotypical black jokes are made quite a lot but they do it in different ways and it isn't overused too much which I like.

I definitely recommend to watch it if you have nothing to watch, or even if you do. You will have to get past some of the bad skits to get on the funny ones, but is definitely worth it.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chappelle Show format... gone amazingly wrong
J Walker21 February 2012
I had really high hopes for this show... As a black guy... I figured this would be a fair substitute for Chappelle to hold me over till the new season of Boondocks... then I watch it. Basically... every black stereotype imaginable... even ones I had forgotten about, get exploited for a laugh. I see they are trying to make fun of the stereotypes... but they just do it so badly it just reinforces it to me. There is no point to the show... I don't mean a comedy show has to have a serious point... but at least... a funny point... Its hackneyed sketch comedy with some truly unnatural and sad stand up in between. The only thing keeping me from writing a letter to Comedy Central(of which I'd never think of... hell I even liked Chocolate News) is the sincere hope that it gets better. Just my opinion though folks. Update: It got a bit better... they veered off the stereotype kick and just went to everyday issues... so thanks for that... Just seems like they carry their jokes out too far... pretty much every time to the point where if you thought it was funny at first, by the time it ends you are like... sigh... we get the point keep it moving...
18 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great SHow
molique-wesley22 October 2013
If you do not watch Key and Peele then something is seriously wrong with you. I can say that this is a must see show. I wait all year just to see this show. This show is one of the best shows on comedy central. I laugh at every sketch that they do. Every sketch that they do has some relevance to the real world that makes us laugh. Keegan Micheal-Key and Jordan Peele are really great actors and comedic. I started watching them when they both were on Madtv. They were the best even then One of the two best sketches that they have in my opinion are the Substitute Teacher and the President and his translator. If there is any show on comedy central to watch, Key and Peele is the one.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant and Genius Sketches
imdbimdb13 August 2015
these two are absolutely amazing- they are so clever, so original, so ahead of their time- their skits are just hilarious- every single one - they have amazing chemistry and over and over deliver brilliant performances- i loved them on mad TV, loved them in the white and nerdy video and now on comedy central and you tube- they make our entire family laugh- they are hands down the best comedians out there- i am surprised they are not featured in more movies and even given starring roles- they are both such naturally gifted comedians- i hope they continue to have great success and i hope they are around a long time to keep sharing their brilliance with us-
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure Stepin Fetchit comedy
jeffsh19 August 2015
The hotter topics in the discussion boards for this show asked people to draw a comparison between Key and Peele and The Dave Chappelle show. The general consensus could be summed up in one person's comment of:

"This show appeals to a wider audience"

By playing the silly Negro all they do is appeal to the WHITER audience looking for a socially acceptable outlet for their racism.

Shame on both of these "actors", and shame on President Obama for being involved with that Stepin Fetchit routine.

The only skit I found remotely funny was the football game, and when you look on YouTube you'll see the more racist the skit the more viewers it had. They loved the Slave sale, really appealed to white America concept of a better, simpler time in our history.
7 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Comedy Central Aired This?
Mike B30 April 2012
I am fan of many shows on Comedy Central: The Daily Shoe, Colbert Report and South Park. I am willing to try any new shows and was excited too see Key and Peele from the commercials showing him impersonating Obama. I saw the first episode where he wanted to call his wife a B%*#$ and wow it was not funny...at all! I am not offended by the type of jokes but it was plain and simple not funny. They just dragged out the joke so long and it just made it look so stupid. I gave it another shot and watched the episode where he got shot in the d*&^ and again it was not funny. It could of been a funny topic but somehow Key and Peele managed to mess it up. The show is basically taking a long overused plot and putting a joke in the end which isn't even funny.

Comedy Central shows some great shows, but sadly I have to change the channel whenever this shows comes on. Not funny at all!
13 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
its so bad
ctilley_00726 January 2015
I've tried to watch this, I've watched four episodes, I've given it a chance but it just isn't funny, this is a show for people with no taste, its for people with a barely functional brain, if you are reading this and thinking to yourself, i really like this show, then im sorry to tell you but you have no taste and are more than likely a very stupid person, probably too stupid to realize that you're stupid, this is bland, childish, thoughtless nonsense, there is so much better, this is bottom of the barrel, as far as comedy goes you would do better watching the old chappelle reruns, even if you've seen them before than to watch this and try to convince yourself that its funny
5 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The sketches are the best
Sarah2 December 2016
The stand-up parts of the show aren't that great, but the sketches are always hilarious. I normally skip the stand-up show, but its the sketches that really make it worth watching. Key and Peele is definitely my favorite sketch show, despite the lackluster stand-up in between. Sketches come across really well over a screen, but for stand-up you really just need to be there in the room. It loses a lot if you're not. They make some of the funniest sketches I've ever seen though. They're always very funny and very high quality. A lot of work goes into the design, the sets, the costumes, the characters, even the acting; its all very well crafted. And the humor is very on point. Its a shame the shows no longer running, hopefully someday it comes back.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When taking jokes too far goes wrong...
LawnBoy-45 July 2015
I really want to like this show more that I do. As pure comic talents, Key & Peele are great. They possess natural comedic talent and they are both very likable. The problem is that every skit devolves into yet another joke taken way too far. While the ideas and premises are mostly good, the skits are written such that the joke is revealed within the first 15 seconds and then exhaustingly repeated over and over and over until it has been milked to the point at which it is no longer funny, rather, it has become annoying and tiresome.

I remain convinced that these guys can do so much better and frustrated that they have yet to do so.
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Honestly this show is poop..
robkurz3522 September 2016
The humor in this show is sub par at best. I have to cringe sometimes when I see a really crappy skit. Im sitting there like damn, I'm gonna watch this until the end of the skit, but I know its not funny. Maybe funny if you are some brainwashed college student..

It has an obvious liberal slant. Aries Spears, one of my favorite comedians on MADtv, said it best. Key and Peele are basically white washed blacks trying to do black humor. "They ain't real niggas." as Aries would say.

Also Key and Peele came from a time where MADtv was going downhill and got canceled. Everyone knows the early seasons are best.
3 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Key and Peele make SNL look like the worst episode on Sesame Street
Key and Peele make SNL look like the worst episode on Sesame Street.

If these two where put on earth to do this series and that's it, we've been blessed.

This is top shelf comedic brilliance in every aspect. The quality of the skits is outstanding. I'm shocked how they fit so much entertainment in 30 min. Yet it leaves me smiling all day. Even the extra actors in the skits have better acting skills than most of the hosts on SNL.

Good days or bad days, these guys make me laugh.

My only complaint is that I wish each episode was at least 60 min.

And very sad this legendary series is over.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny, Clever, New Perspective.
Robocog6 June 2016
The show is pretty funny, the some of the skits they do are a little bland and generic, for example the "These Nuts" skit, and they do recycle skits every now and then (East/West, Slap-Ass), but a lot of the skits they do are hysterical, and clever. I understand some people hate the show, and the skits, making arguments that it's just a rerun Chappelle Show, but it is humor, and one type of humor can't speak to everyone. Personally, I love the show, and wish everyone else did too, but like everything ever created, there are flaws here and there. If you enjoy laughing at social tropes, and find humor about how things are today, then I encourage you to watch the show. If you don't like this type of humor, then don't watch the show.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All other ratings are fake
baba33331 November 2013
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SHOW Daniel Tosh talked about how they need to cancel this show for a reason! I just watched a skit were Key was bitten by a vampire and he was wearing a jogging suit and the whole skit was about how he needs to dress like the other vampires. Lame. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SHOW Daniel Tosh talked about how they need to cancel this show for a reason! I just watched a skit were Key was bitten by a vampire and he was wearing a jogging suit and the whole skit was about how he needs to dress like the other vampires. Lame. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SHOW Daniel Tosh talked about how they need to cancel this show for a reason I just watched a skit were Key was bitten by a vampire and he was wearing a jogging suit and the whole skit was about how he needs to dress like the other vampires. Lame.
6 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So funny
iandmcd3530 May 2014
Breaks down race to people. They put a spotlight on the stupidity of judging someone on the colour of their skin at the same time as they make a joke about the colour of their skin. What i get from this show, apart from many laughs, is we are all stupid people. The skin colour doesn't make you less or more stupid, we are all stupid. Funny guys, making a white guy from Australia, seeing it from your perspective and you seeing it from mine...... From the awkward white guy from Australia. Excellent show. P.S. I do have a big dick so....you know.....there is a chance.......we could be related.....am i allowed to make this joke.....it's funny when you guys do it... but i don't know, now i feel bad now.....
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this