IMDb > "Key and Peele" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Key and Peele"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Key and Peele" More at IMDbPro »

Started out slow, keeps getting better

Author: Austin Daboss from United States
2 March 2012

When I first heard of Key and Peele, I was very skeptical, since I never found MadTV to be extraordinarily funny, and these two guys never stood out to me on that show even. When I watched the first episode I wasn't pleasantly surprised, as the stand up acts were dry and the sketches were very hit/miss. Luckily I don't have a remote, so I watch comedy central pretty much all of the time my television is on. This means I watched the episodes succeeding the first, and I must say, they only get better. I found my self laughing hysterically at the last episode I saw, particularly at a sketch involving a group of Republicans disagreeing with Obama regardless of what he is saying. The stand up is a bit better too, but their main purpose is still to give the following sketches some context. All in all, Key and Peele have a good base with their smart writing and creative sketches, and they could have a great show if they continue to build upon that base.

Best sketch comedy show I've seen since Chappelle's Show

Author: SeriousJest from United States
10 December 2012

I saw their "I Said Bitch" skit a few months ago when one of my friends shared it on Facebook. It caught me off guard with how clever, perfectly-timed, well-acted, multi-dimensional, and downright funny it was. I told myself that I would definitely start watching this show…but my hectic schedule caught up with me, and it faded from my memory before I was able to set aside time to watch one episode.

But the videos kept going viral on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and after clicking on "McFerrin vs. Winslow," "Ultimate Fighting Match Preview," "Yo Mama Has Health Problems," and "Gay Marriage Legalized," I was hooked! Next thing I know, I was ripping through episodes on Hulu, and posting and emailing episodes to my friends…I was even pulling co- workers into my office and telling them, "You HAVE to watch this sketch RIGHT NOW…it's only 4 minutes long."

This is the closest production I've found to Chappelle's Show, although the comparison isn't exactly fair. Chappelle's Show was outrageous and far beyond the bounds of anything anyone had seen on TV before (not taking away from the fact that it was extremely creative, witty, and funny), leading to ROTFLMAOs. Key and Peele is a bit more subdued, and much of its humor lies in its subtext. You'll still get a few ROTFLMAOs, but a lot of the laughs may just be LOLs, or smirks. Not every skit is a hit, but the producers manage to cut the less-funny skits before they get annoying, unlike Saturday Night Live (again, an unfair comparison because that show is live, while Key and Peele is pre- taped and edited).

Key and Peele are both extremely witty, charismatic, and talented comedians and actors. I enjoy their two-man stand up (I think it's a successful formula, when you have the right team), and watching the entire episodes actually allows you to enjoy the episodes more than simply watching them on YouTube because the setups often give you additional insight. Dave Chappelle used to do the same thing successfully. Peele's imitation of President Obama is impressive, and the "Anger Translator" skits are hilarious. I can't wait until Season 3.

For more reviews and a kickass podcast, check out: www.livemancave.com

Clever and Ahead of it's time

Author: Ebonic Scholar from United States
15 July 2012

I was a bit afraid when I saw the teasers but blown away by the production value! Comedy is not just something to make you laugh. Comedy has levels to it watching Key & Peele I saw tragedy, Irony and humanity. There have been very few thought provoking comedy shows that have made me copy and paste youtube links and mail them to my friends. Key & Peele have somewhat tedious dialogs about their humdrum lives (sorry guys) But their comedic insights are brilliantly creative and should be revisited as ongoing themed webseries. I swear Jordan Peele is so dedicated to his scenes that his focus alone makes me laugh. This show is incredible and I search for new episodes of it in my comedy central on demand. Keep up the good work guys

Best if they made fun of famous news and clips

Author: dochuskyblackmoon
29 February 2012

Some stuff like "I got shot in the penis" was just wrong, but the "Racoon not Zombie bite" and "Unicorn Sighting" are very good! They take famous you tube clips, movies, and news and creates a spoof off of them. However I miss the "Bad Luck" skits and "Deal of no Deal" spoofs on Mad TV. The on stage jokes and skits that were done in front of an audience need a lot of work on, it can be funny from time to time however they tend to be stretched from what actually happened, for example, how key talks about how he cant sit in his seat while he laughs on a plane. Needs work but it seems like there is a lot of potential for this show.

The Thief of Though.

Author: rodsweis from mars
5 February 2012

In the current state of movies and TV shows, executives try their best to appeal to a demographic obsessed with authenticity and genuine absurdity with purpose. With that being a handicap for some, most writing leans more toward absurdity for the sake of being absurd for no reason. When that happens, the line between genuine originality and simple stupidity becomes blurred. However, this show is the perfect polar opposite. Key and Peele manage to merge genuine ridiculousness with unparalleled brilliance. This show is sheer genius cloaked behind sheer nonsense which makes it the quintessential candidate that will represent absurdity and brilliance alike, and without prejudice. The very thing Shakespeare once held true himself.

Has its Ups and Downs.

Author: RyanDaG2013 from United Kingdom
21 November 2013

The show will either keep me straight faced or in hysterics! Some really great writing and acting! Some skits are really not funny and should be skipped, either I don't get the joke or they're just generally not funny I don't know. But others are really good, no spoilers but a skit in Episode 5 of Season 1 is one of my favourites. The stereotypical black jokes are made quite a lot but they do it in different ways and it isn't overused too much which I like.

I definitely recommend to watch it if you have nothing to watch, or even if you do. You will have to get past some of the bad skits to get on the funny ones, but is definitely worth it.

Very funny show with two talented guys

Author: F_Jenkins from la
7 November 2013

I'm baffled at the comparisons to Dave Chappelle. All the Chappelle skits were "what if black people did this..." or "here's a black person in this odd situation..." This show is ten times better.

Although the two stars are black, it's hardly a "black show." It covers all demographics. The skits are incredibly well produced - basically little short films. They're directed like theatrical movies. The cinematography is pretty good. They always have apt music. But the strength of the show is the fact Key and Peele are both extremely talented. This show wouldn't have worked if one or both were average actors. They're both excellent actors with wide ranges and superb comic timing.

Some of the skits are laugh out loud funny ("East West College Bowl" - "Who erased the browsing history" to name a couple). The skits that don't work so well are not because the writing is bad; the writing is good. It's usually the premise isn't strong (You could see the gag in "mobster surprise party" a mile away - then it goes on and on). But strong skits far outweigh the weak ones.

The show's only weakness is the stand up they do in between the skits in front of a live audience. It's actually not bad most of the time but stand up doesn't work in 2 minute increments. The show would probably be stronger without the audience just having K&P just introduce the skits.

In the pantheon

Author: getupday from United States
11 June 2015

Key and Peele are the most acerbic, gutsy, and funny duo on American television today. In fact, comedy duos seem to be a lost art form in the United States (gone are the days of Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello, and Martin and Lewis). Perhaps, that's why Key and Peele seems fresh, while at the same time, hearkening back to pre-war era comedy. The writing is heavy on satire, but the performances are rife with pratfalls. In an era of snark and ironic distance, it's invigorating to watch a comedy in love with the execution of a sketch, not just the target of a joke. The cinematography also elevates the show above the usual crop, with its filmic look and splendid editing. Noting about this show is slapdash (Judd Apatow improv, this ain't). The show's writing and performing is deliberate and the dividends are many! Highly recommended.

Genius

Author: rzajac from Dongshih, Taiwan
28 November 2014

I'm not saying it's perfect. Genius is not equal to Perfect. It's a little hit and miss... and yet I feel it deserves a '10'.

I think it deserves this because these guys (and their writers, natch!) have stumbled upon a wondrous land of infinite possibility. Not many people attain to this; which restriction is also an indicator of true artistry. From top to bottom, the produced sketches reek of talent and inspiration. From conception to writing to directing to acting... We are treated to comedy on blue-flame fire. It's head humor, it's body humor, it's slapstick, it's transcendent, it's bestial.

It'll be interesting to see how long ComCent lets it run.

And, btw, I PREFER the new format (using road trip bits as ligature).

Highlights: S04E03; Georgina and Esther (*gotta* watch it uncensored!). S04E10; The scat duel (brutally mocking and lovingly homaging the tradition at the very same time!).

I'm looking forward to K&P continuing on an upward trajectory... Forever and Ever, AMEN.

So funny

Author: iandmcd35 from Australia
30 May 2014

Breaks down race to people. They put a spotlight on the stupidity of judging someone on the colour of their skin at the same time as they make a joke about the colour of their skin. What i get from this show, apart from many laughs, is we are all stupid people. The skin colour doesn't make you less or more stupid, we are all stupid. Funny guys, making a white guy from Australia, seeing it from your perspective and you seeing it from mine...... From the awkward white guy from Australia. Excellent show. P.S. I do have a big dick so....you know.....there is a chance.......we could be related.....am i allowed to make this joke.....it's funny when you guys do it... but i don't know, now i feel bad now.....