IMDb > Schlussmacher (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Schlussmacher More at IMDbPro »

A German Attempt At American Comedy

Author: baharuka
9 August 2013

Matthias Schweighöfer is a popular German actor whose first movie I watched was "What A Man". As you can get from the non-German title, "What A Man" is rather international audience friendly, containing music with English lyrics etc. and its style is just like a light American romantic comedy. So is Schlussmacher's.

The movie is about Paul who works for a separation agency, which is a fictional agency that helps people get rid of their partners without the drama of a face-to-face conflict. He goes to the "dumped" person's house and gives the bad news. Paul also has a lover, an attractive woman with dark hair and eyes (like his partner in What A Man- the Turkish Sibel Kekilli) but their relationship has a problem- you should watch to learn more.

Paul's adventures as a "separator" are fun to watch and Toto, the dumped boyfriend of a customer who accompanies him, is interesting. Is the movie amazingly good? No, it rather follows the footsteps to make an average comedy but I'm learning German and I watch this guy's movies to practice my German and have some fun. It's hard to come by a German comedy which is in the style I'm familiar with. This movie is just that. So if you want to watch something light from Germany to have some fun, you might give this one a chance.

Charming ... and uplifting

Author: olliemankz from United States
16 April 2014

I read baharuka's review of Schlussmacher with interest, trying to ascertain how it was like an American comedy. I guess the idea was that it was light. Maybe the Germans are known for being rather overbearing; I don't know, I'm not sure I have ever seen a German comedy before. Well, maybe. At any rate, though, I think I felt heartened as I watched the movie because, as an American used to some of the typical comedic fare, I felt it was different from anything I had ever seen coming out of this country.

I won't mention the places where I felt the movie departed from the American so as not to spoil it for those who may wish to watch it afresh, which I think would be a good idea; me, I don't even like to know what a movie is about before I go into it. Let's just say that there was some refreshing humor and I loved the morale of the story. I felt the story was actually a lot more uplifting than much I have seen lately, being positive about romantic love ... as the Desiderata says, Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass. Everything about the movie was well-done as far as I could see, including the fabulous spaces in which these 20-somethings lived. Many a man may like a car driven here, too. Berlin was a beautiful backdrop. At one point as the hero and his antihero sidekick ... whom you will probably come to love ... were walking single-file, some amazing monumental buildings, relics no doubt from the era of Kaisers and the like, reared up behind them like monsters' heads. It was only at the end when the movie resorted to a couple of cheap ploys and schtick that one could perhaps say that the movie began to seem rather American, or maybe pedestrian could be the word. Also, the question could be asked, how was our hero going to keep his loft? But who ever worries about and works those things out in a movie? I guess, as in life, you have to field the curveballs. I thought it was very cute ... and, again, positive. Worth the watch, imho.