IMDb > And While We Were Here (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
And While We Were Here

And While We Were Here More at IMDbPro »

A slow-moving but worthwhile piece about happiness, connection, and the things that get in their way.

Author: Super Ultra
22 November 2013

I was tempted to give this a 10, because it does what it does very well, and ... I loved it. I'm giving it a 9, mainly because it's not just about me, and (judging from the other reviews it's gotten) it takes a certain kind of person--and definitely a certain mood--to appreciate what this movie has to offer. On a different night, I wouldn't have had the patience to sit through it, and that's partly because I can't slow myself down often enough, but it's also partly because the movie doesn't do quite as much as it could to draw the viewer in. You need to be in a relaxed, introspective state of mind, I think, but if/when you are, you might find this as rewarding as I did.

I don't want to say a whole lot about the plot, the characters, or the issues that they try to deal with. Part of what I like most about this movie is the way it reveals these things, so I think it's best to not know many details going in. But I will say that there seem to be some important lessons about life and relationships that could be taken away from this, and the messages come across in a natural, unforced way. This is pretty rare.

Reviewers have pointed out that Bosworth does a fine job here, and I completely agree, but the rest of the cast also deserves plenty of praise. Most of what's going on in this movie is pretty subtle, and lesser actors/actresses would have tried to overdo things--and a lesser director would've let them. Even minor missteps in acting or directing can be quite a turn-off for me, but I don't recall any such thing in this case. The locations and camera work didn't hurt either. I was immersed from start to finish.

I also loved the dialogue. Here, too, what I appreciated was that it wasn't overdone, nor was it too subtle. The people on screen talked pretty much like you'd expect them to. (I never found myself thinking, "That character would never put things that way.") Nothing seemed artificial.

So, I guess I could sum things up by saying this is a patient, enjoyable, and flawlessly executed study of certain issues many of us are going to run up against at some point in our lives. I honestly think that many reviewers just don't get it.

A waste of a good title.

Author: Paul Lefebvre from London Canada
22 August 2013

I just finished watching this movie, having watched it because I was intrigued by the title -- sometimes titles just hook me right off the bat and make me want to see if the movie lives up to the expectations the title created -- and I enjoy watching Kate Bosworth ever since the Young Americans TV series in the Summer of 2000.

Also, having been to Ischia many years ago, I hoped it would remind me of my sojourn.

From the trailer, I was expecting a gentle romance in a faraway picturesque island between two people who have found each other.

Wrong.

Instead we have a travelogue featuring a woman looking for fun who finds it by having a fling with with a bored college kid. Granted, he is good-looking but she could have picked just about any other kid off the street considering how little chemistry there is between the two. We're not even entirely certain what prompts her to do this considering how much her husband -- in his own way -- loves her, and she must him. I don't think the movie can even be considered romantic fluff because there isn't any fluff. Romantic or otherwise. Or sensuality. We aren't even made to care what happens.

During the movie I wondered to myself what Woody Allen would have done with this.

I was disappointed with the waste of such a good title.

brutally honest

Author: ivona-lol555-716-1507 from Croatia
31 May 2014

I expected something else from the trailer, true.

But I still love this movie. It's so brutally honest. So simple. It's a movie about life and love. The kind ones that actually happen, not some Hollywood bullshit. How lines between people are messy and you can't see where they start and where they end. How some people have a huge influence on us. It's a movie about a woman finding herself. It's raw, but it's real. You have to find beauty in simplicity to really appreciate it. Some people are here just to show us that there is more of this world than what we have. Everything we thought we knew so well and sure about, now we doubt. The things you never thought you needed a second thought, yet you will. Nothing, ever, is sure. We do not see the lines between us, other people and things and that's why it's so hard to break from society and do something else. To have strength to leave something that meant so much to us, to have the strength to admmit that it doesn't no more.

I enjoyed it very much.

Beautiful and moving

Author: Marina Verenikina from United States
3 November 2013

I loved this movie. And although it put me in a very melancholy mood, which I didn't want on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I loved every minute of it. The score is so incredibly beautiful yet rather simple (my favorite type of score). The other music and the end credit song created such a special vibe.

And, of course, the setting was stunning. The script, the actors, the story - i loved it all.

I don't understand while other reviews are so negative. Maybe people are looking for an idiotic typical romantic flick? If so, this is definitely not what they will get with this one.

amour m'apprend à se nourrir de flammes et de larmes

Author: emile-paulina from Lithuania
23 February 2014

I think that a lot of people perceive this movie incorrectly. The lack of chemistry between Jane and Caleb, and Leonard, in my opinion, was done in purpose. The story that is told is not about love, it's about liberation.

Jane and Leonard have been having a strained relationship, they're both tired from each other but neither steps forward and ends this "drag". This results in Jane embarking on an adventure with Caleb. While he may be infatuated by her the feeling isn't mutual. Jane would've ran away with whatever guy that came along, it's irrelevant if he's Caleb, Mark or Giovanni.

Grandma Eves says in one of the tapes "You know the truth when you find it" and that's exactly what Caleb's purpose was. He brought Jane the truth, he made her see where she's standing and where she wants to be.

In the end Jane realizes that she doesn't need Leonard nor Caleb and she moves on. Yes, she broke their hearts but I think from the very beginning it is clear that this is not a happy story. There are no happy endings in life

'Inspiring' Chick-Flick.....

Author: Errington_92 from United Kingdom
17 September 2013

If you asked me to summarise And While We Were Here briefly, my answer would be inspiring chick-flick. Though using the word inspiring is solely theoretical. In practice And While We Were Here does not deliver as it emerged itself in a cliché we've seen time after time.

Set amongst picturesque Italian locales, freelance writer Jane (Kate Bosworth) is searching to complete her first book in the company of husband Leonard (Iddo Goldberg), a touring classical musician. Though their visit to Italy takes a back seat as their relationship is explored. It's established early that their relationship is lacking fullness from Jane's perspective as Leonard has contrasting interests and opinions. Jane's dissatisfaction, highlighted by an unsensual sex scene, tells us all we need to know.

This begins the build-up to Jane's journey of life's meaning, attempting to inspire the audience. During a day of sightseeing Jane meets free-spirited Caleb (Jamie Blackley), a younger man whose zest for life puts a spring in Jane's step. In typical click-flick procedure Jane feels she has met the man of her dreams excited by Caleb's knowledge of culture and life. Inevitably Caleb causes a three-way tension between himself, Jane and Leonard leading to predicable sentimentality and drama.

Reflecting over And While We Were Here there are criticisms to be made. Firstly Jane's lust for the younger, exciting Caleb is a worn concept. Does life's fulfilment always have to result in seeking adventure with strangers? This platitude continued with Jane occasionally listening to her Grandmother's war experiences where she learnt to make the most of life in dire circumstances. We get it...

It was hard to see what Jane saw in Caleb beyond his rebellious nature. This is not to say Caleb was not portrayed well with Jamie Blackley giving an energetic performance. Despite Caleb's personality relating to And While We Were Here's theme of fulfilling life, I could not to disagree with Leonard reference of Caleb as "that child". If Caleb seems immature then why should audiences emote towards Jane?

In addition Jane and Leonard's deteriorating relationship was one-sided. Only Jane's side is portrayed with Leonard's reasoning being antagonised rather than explored. His only defense comes in a revealing confrontation near And While We Were Here's climax. Whilst we're supposedly meant to sympathise with Jane's raw emotions, Leonard did make some convincing arguments which lent sympathy towards him. Rather it's Jane who comes across as hostile. She conducted herself harshly towards Leonard and her reasoning within their argument did not deliver. Either this was the fault of Bosworth, the script or both. This only adds to my argument of And While We Were Here trying but failing to be inspirational though it was certainly a chick-flick, by no means a positive praise.

This movie gave me a personal closure and inspiration to change my life

Author: palcic
4 November 2013

No words can describe my emotions while I was watching this movie. I felt like it was telling my personal story in a bit different way.

I was that Caleb. I was exactly 19. Except that I was the traveler and the woman was on her territory. The beginning of my vacation was absolutely non-significant... And then, I met Her. She was a bit older. I fell for her... And she fell for me... The story ended in exactly the same way.

For a long time I haven't seen a story that touched me so much. For me, having a personal insight of what it felt like, it was an emotional roller-coaster, from beginning to the end. I floated between emotions of the three characters, as if they were my own.

And the story is not the only catch. The choice of location, the filming, editing, the music... Wow... Bingo!!! This is what I call a complete movie package.

Should I add a need for a sequel teaser? I'm now 34, I'm now on the other side of the story, unhappily married w/o children... Last year I got in touch with my love from 15 years ago. The door has opened to start a new life.

I hesitated. But, after seeing this movie tonight, I'll accept the words from the grandma in the movie "the time is shiftable" and apply them into my own life!!!.

This was, personally, the best movie I've seen in a few years!!!

Awesome Film

Author: manfred-ollie from Australia
25 December 2014

I think; And While We Were Here is a brilliant piece of cinema. One must get past the male/ female bias agenda. Re;some comments. Has anybody not been in such a boring relationship like Leonard and Jane's? I have seen many relationships like theirs; and they are still together. Their mistakes; losing her wallet, Stubbing his toe, their lovemaking are all very incite full observations of LIFE; when you are so bored with each other. Though; like many married people some stay together for life. I thought Caleb and Jane first kiss in the lane way was very intimate and arousing also; I disagree with some comments. In real life Jane would have stayed with Leonard and kept having interesting lovers on the side. Just; my warped view, here. I have met many Leonard's; most women stay with them. I can never understand this? Leonard's pain is palpable on the train in the last scene. This is great directing and great writing and acting. I would say that Kat Coiro is one great philosopher; writer and director and actor I see; as well! and attractive to boot. My Goodness; Such a talent; woh And the answer to;And While We Were Here? Is; to keep working towards understanding ourselves while we are here.

An elegant and quietly beautiful romance.

Author: Tinker_be11 from United Kingdom
26 May 2015

I came across this film one evening after listening to the soundtrack (I won't name it as it gives away spoilers if you know the content of the song), and was intrigued by the few clips and trailers I could find online - it was the most beautiful film. The island of Ischia is a quaint, crumbling backdrop for a very elegant and believable love affair, immediately providing a sense of escape and tranquility for the viewer as they get to know Jane and how she sees the world. The relationships in this film are incredible - sewing hints of doubt and mistrust in carefully considered dialogue and Kate Bosworth's very serious expressions. Jane's husband is delightfully executed as the most boring, standoffish man ever to be in a film, which works perfectly to show how an affair with a younger man would seem like an easy escape for Jane. Jamie Blackley also shines as the younger love interest, his gimmicks, boyish attitude and slight arrogance bouncing off Jane's pensiveness and grief to produce a very sweet romantic encounter. None of the acting feels forced or unrealistic.

It is hard to believe the whole film takes place in less than a week, as the raw emotions that change so often throughout the film could easily take place over a relationship of several months. The intensity is balanced with hazy montages as Jane and Caleb explore the island, and the whole thing reminded me of old Italian films as well as pieces like Roman Holiday. However, if you are after a light-hearted holiday romance, this is not that film. I think, as other reviews have mentioned, you have to be in a certain frame of mind to fully appreciate all aspects of this film, as beautiful though it is, I understand how some people might find it dull or too focused.

I've given it a 9 as although it is one of my favourite films, I know it was originally released at film festivals in black and white, and then colour for public release. I feel it would work even better in black and white - does anyone know if it is possible to get the b/w version?

And While We Were Here - brief

Author: Vultural ~ from Cheung Chau
25 October 2014

Troubled couple arrive in Naples and settle in. He to play viola for concerts, she to work on WWII novel / memoir. Gorgeous settings of isle of Ischia, offset by serious, depressing tone of a husband and wife who can no longer communicate with each other. She meets a 19 year old, still very boyish, reckless and full of youthful energy. He comes off as initially annoying, and I cannot say he grew on me, but I did get accustomed to him. The plot meanders around as the young wife (Kate Bosworth - quite good here) broods much of the time. Much of her story is internal, thinking and rethinking, about her situation and possibilities. All the time, she is listening to recordings of her grandmother, recalling her own youth. "Chick flick" might resonate more with female viewers.