IMDb > American Assassin (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Bad Movie even if you didn't read the Novel

Author: Ernest Poirier from Ontario, Canada
14 September 2017

Let's start with those of us who are huge fans of Vince Flynn, and his numerous novels about Mitch Rapp. If you have read American Assassin, I highly warn you NOT TO SEE THIS MOVIE, as it will be a complete disappointment. The only similarities are: The title, the characters, and the fact that Stan Hurley bites a guy's ear off. The other 92% of the movie is pure Hollywood b/s. The movie only needs to use the book as a guide, and take the story off the pages and onto the big screen, and it's a blockbuster, but no - they can't do that. They have to hack and mutilate a great story by Vince Flynn, and twist so many things that it makes you feel like walking out of the theatre.

Now - let's say that you never read Vince Flynn's novel. I still would not recommend seeing this movie. The plot is sketchy at best. You have actors playing roles that they can't pull off (i.e. A french-man playing a Mossul agent). arggg. And then there is the second rate special effects / CGI. There is a particular scene near the end of a Navy Helicopter flying into the scene where Mitch Rapp has located the nuclear bomb (i.e. that's not part of the book either, and it's the premise for the movie)...but back to the chopper - it's obviously a special effect. Fast forward 10 minutes to the end, and the USS IKE (Aircraft Carrier) is in the ocean and there are waves crashing over it's deck. SOOO LAME.

Shame on the director, producer and anyone else who was responsible for butchering a phenomenal novel. I pray there isn't a part 2.

Fantastic

Author: chiefconsultant
18 September 2017

I wasn't sure what to expect but I was terrifically surprised. Great story with lots of intrigue and action. Excitement and thrills throughout the film. Probably not going to be an Oscar contender, although Michael Keaton did a superb job in my opinion, but I don't care it was just awesome.

Starts strong but fades by the end.

Author: goodtime-336-74081 from Australia
13 September 2017

This movie could have been much more but instead, due to a nonsensical climax, it is just another Hollywood very average effort. And they wonder why box office takings are down these last couple of years. The story line starts out believable enough - terrorists attack that kills a loved one and a survivor looking for revenge. Formulaic but watchable. The CIA, as usual in US movies of this type, appear far more successful in surveillance and covert action than is often the case in real life. The cast are OK and handle their roles well for the most part, putting aside the usual cliché or three re CIA/Special ops agents in the field. I found the movie acceptable right up to the ending where the bad guy sets out to Nuke the US Fleet. Nothing about that part of the story line was in the least bit believable. It may well have played out much better in the original book upon which the movie was based but fails miserably here. A wasted $20. Better value waiting for the movie to hit your movie streaming site of choice.

Plenty of action and thrills to keep you entertained in a espionage thriller.

Author: cruise01
15 September 2017

American Assassin is an action packed esponiage thriller that never slows down and even shows that Dylan O'Brien can take on a stone cold killer role. I was very impressed with the movie.

Mitch (Dylan O'Brien) was on a Mediterranean trip with his girlfriend, which he proposes on the beach. Until, a group of terrorists attack on the beach by shooting at every civilian they see. Mitch witnesses his girlfriend getting killed in the attack. A year or so later, Mitch highly trained himself to go on a vengeance after the terrorists that killed his girlfriend. He trained himself through MMA classes until he gets kicked out for being brutal to the other opponent. He is skilled with weaponry at a shoot range until he loses it and walks into the shooting range. And he has a lead to the terrorists responsible. Only to be followed and captured by the CIA. Who tends to recruit him led by Stan (Michael Keaton). While they are on a mission trail in hunting a terrorist that has stolen nuclear material which traces back to a rogue agent named Ghost (Taylor Kitsch). Mitch will stop at nothing to eliminate the threat even if it requires him to disobey his orders.

American Assassin is that type of action film that entertains with putting the main character into a revengeful path. It may not be a memorable plot or worth mentioning. But it is exciting to see a gritty, brutal Dylan O'Brien taking out bad guys. I wont be surprised if this will be his franchise just like there are other spy action movies like Bond or Jason Bourne. The action sequences are brutal; the fight scenes are quick and gritty. Mitch Rapp never holding back in letting a bad guy escape. It is fun to see Dylan O'Brien going through several action set pieces in trying to stop the villain from setting off a nuclear bomb.

Dylan O'Brien may have found his calling in an action franchise. I am glad he did instead of being stuck in the Teen Wolf series. And growing up to be a brute mean machine as a stone cold killer. He is good as an action star and as well as in the Maze Runner movies. Michael Keaton was also good as Mitch Rapp's trainer into the CIA. Sanaa Lathan was also good as Irene, who sees Mitch as a good potential in there team. Taylor Kitsch was good as the villain, who was once in the marines and went rogue against what he stood for.

Like all else, the plot is forgettable. It is kind of an origin story with Mitch Rapp going on a brute path in finding bad guys on his own until he gets recruited. I am sure this plot has been done too many times in other spy action movies. Were the main hero goes in every set piece trying to track down were the bomb is. Or where the bad guy is. And the villain is a rogue agent. I am sure, there are some Jack Ryan movies that may have been similar.

Overall, American Assassin is a really good film. There is plenty of shoot them up action and brutal fight sequences with Dylan O'Brien taking on an action hero role. It definitely is a great start to a franchise, if this was a success. Sure, the plot may have its flaws of being similar or nothing memorable. But it's just pure action packed entertainment.

I rate the film 4.5 out of 5 stars.

An action/thriller filled with espionage, intrigue and plenty of action

Author: hollywoodhernandez-70868 from Dallas, Texas
14 September 2017

American Assassin is an action/thriller filled with espionage, intrigue and plenty of action. Dylan O'Brien (The Maze Runner and MTV's Teen Wolf) plays C.I.A. trainee Mitch Rapp. You'll be amazed at the transformation of O'Brien as he buffs up to play the stone cold killer in American Assassin. The movie is based on the best selling novels of Vince Flynn and directed by Michael Cuesta, who also directs the TV series Homeland.

O'Brien's character, Mitch Rapp, becomes a lone wolf who is obsessed with revenge after terrorists kill his girlfriend while they are on vacation on a small island in the Mediterranean. He trains for a year in MMA and with weapons. He is so ruthless that he is kicked out of both his martial arts class and his weapons training class. His plans are to pose as an American who is sympathetic to the cause of Isis so he can get near enough to kill members of their terrorist cells.

While he's making his plans he also being watched by the C.I.A. and they extract him from his first mission in Libya and offer him a chance to be a part of a super secret and elite black ops team. Sanaa Lathan plays Irene Kennedy, a C.I.A. Deputy Director who is in charge of the black ops team and Michael Keaton (who looks fantastic at age 66) is a former Navy Seal who's in charge of training the team. As an ensemble the actors make for a very entertaining movie.

Keaton and his team travel all over the world to stop a terrorist plot between Russia and Iran to build a nuclear weapon. On the mission the team discovers a former black ops team member, only known as "Ghost", who is now a mercenary and is brokering the deal between the two countries. "Ghost", played by Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights) is a former protegee of Keaton who's now seeking revenge against his former mentor and against The United States, a country who he feels betrayed him.

While the cast is strong, it's O'Brien who carries the movie. He's on par with any former actor who's played James Bond except, unlike the Bond characters, he doesn't play his part with any humor or sarcasm. He plays it full out serious. He's a man obsessed with violence and killing, which makes for a very bloody and intense movie.

American Assassin is rated a very strong "R" for violence and it has a run time of 1 hour and 51 minutes. It will keep you enthralled and on the edge of your seat from start to finish. On my "Hollywood Popcorn Scale" I rate American Assassin a JUMBO.

Hollywood Hernandez

It's made of clichés but the result is pretty damn good!

Author: Kapten Video
13 September 2017

Boy (Dylan O'Brien) sees her fiancé killed in terrorist attack and vows bloody revenge. He becomes a CIA counterterrorism agent, training under the seasoned pro (Michael Keaton) whose past suddenly returns to haunt him. Also starring: Yousef 'Joe' Sweid, Sanaa Lathan, David Suchet, Taylor Kitsch, Shiva Negar. Along „Renegades", this is one of the good recent actioneers that has a risk of not finding an audience it deserves. Probably because everybody thinks that yeah, trailer ain't bad, but we've seen enough stuff like this. But wide release is actually around the corner yet, so let's hope for the best. „American Assassin" may have a very typical action thriller trailer, and it's true that the story is made of clichés mostly, but the result is actually very enjoyable. The action is bloody and satisfying, the actors are good and charming, and the characters are just interesting enough to make you care. Almost all of the spy or secret agent action movies I've seen do the mistake of being pretty watchable for the most part but ruining the end: * introducing too many surprise twists to explain the events (= lazy storytelling), * taking itself too seriously (= becoming increasingly dull or heavy- handed), * or favoring often seen tired (how many times have you seen a final shootout on the roof of the building while it's raining, for example?). „American Assassin" never drops the baton, or pacing for that matter, which makes it fresher than most of its ilk. Also, the movie wins greatly by having three cool but not that widely known male actors in leads, one of them older and two younger. Let's examine them one by one, shall we? Kitsch is surely one of the greatest American action stars still unrecognized by the wider audience. He's got the muscle, the looks, the charm – what's not to like? If only his part was bigger. This is the only sad thought I had when the movie ended. You remember Kitsch from „Friday Night Lights" series, HBO's „True Detective" season 2, „John Carter" (as John Carter), „Battleship", Oliver Stone's „Savages", and „The Lone Survivor". Still can't quite recall the face? Told you so. One of the unregonignized greats. Dylan O'Brien in the lead is a star of long-running „Teen Wolf" series and also appears in „The Maze Runner" trilogy. It's good to see him starring in a movie now, and he looks fit to kick ass too! I totally bought him as a young hero. And last but not the least, let's bow down to Michael Keaton, one of the more charismatic movie stars of 1980's and 1990's who's probably not that well-known anymore. But he has lost none of the charm. This measured performance of ruthless counterterrorism veteran is probably the most memorable thing in the movie overall. Maybe it's time for Keaton revival? He's appeared in quite good projects lately – „Birdman", „Spotlight", „The Founder". Playing Vulture in newest „Spider-Man" did not probably hurt either, at least not his bank account. All in all, this movie is one of the rare positive examples where tired and overused clichés find a new life thanks to committed movie makers – CIA, terrorists, trained to kill, nuclear threat, plutonium and all the other blah blah blah is not interesting just by itself anymore. The young hero of „American Assassin" is actually the central character of so far 15 popular political thriller novels, so with any future commercial success, we may have witnessed a birth of a new action man who is interesting enough to compete with Jason Bourne, Jack Ryan, or the others. Director Michael Cuesta is also known for 2011's „Roadie" and 2014's „Kill the Messenger", look them up, both are interesting. So what if the movie is not exactly original? It's watchable and fresh, and the explosive ending is a joy to witness!

Birth of an Assassin

Author: Hollifeld from US
15 September 2017

A fun action movie with a top-notch turn by Dylan O'Brien as young Mitch Rapp.

O'Brien's handling of the character's emotional arc supported the sometimes thin plot and occasional dialog clunkers. Michael Keaton was amazing in his first action film roll and was intense and believable as a former Navy S.E.A.L. and infamous Covert Ops team leader. Shiva Negar, who plays Rapp's counterpart, Annika, was the surprise of the film and came across as believable and amazingly competent at her job. Sanaa Lathan and Taylor Kitch also did a great job with with what they were given, but, unfortunately, they were saddled with the majority of the aforementioned clunkers.

This movie would have gotten a 10-star rating from me if the pacing had been consistently tight all the way through and the dialog had been sharper. These are all highly intelligent, highly trained people whose words should be as quick and deadly as they are.

The great cast and intense action sequences still made this a winner for me despite my quibbles, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. If you want an action film to squeeze in between Horror and Super Hero movies, American Assassin will fit the bill nicely.

Exhilarating and fun, with a great performance from Dylan O'Brien, but needs a more-shaped world.

Author: Saint Jimmy
13 September 2017

American Assassin was not made to be "new". The movie does what it needs to do. It provides a satisfying story full of action at every turn. While the story is, as I said, satisfying, it is not without its faults. Some of the one-dimensional side characters should have had more backstory. For those who worried about how Dylan O'Brien would do in the role of Mitch Rapp, I think it is safe to say that he absolutely nailed it. In fact, Dylan, Michael Keaton, and Taylor Kitsch all turned in great performances. If there is a sequel, and I really hope there is one, I look forward to seeing the world around the main characters fleshed out.

I saw this film today OH BOY!

Author: buddyluv-27132 from San Jose, Ca
15 September 2017

I saw this film today OH BOY! It was very good. The acting was superb the fight scenes authentic and there is humor in it as well. The lead actor who I have never heard of was amazing and Michael Keaton is always so solid. Very suspenseful. The professional critics will pan this because it's about killing terrorists which we all know they love being the left wing retards they are. I am goi8ng to save it on Netflicks so when it goes to DVD I can watch it again.

JOHN WICK meets MAN ON FIRE...and God help anybody caught in the middle.

Author: Carycomic from Torrington, CT, USA
15 September 2017

Dylan O'Brien is a relatively new name to me. But, he did a very convincing job portraying Mitch Rapp. A man who trains himself single-mindedly (and almost single-handedly) to track down the terrorist leader responsible for the death of his five-minute fiancé' (along with dozens of other innocent tourists) in Spain eighteen months earlier.

It's a mixed blessing, though, that he tracks down the terrorists posing as an American jihadist sympathizer. Because it makes the CIA aware of his existence. Not to mention, gets him captured--and nearly killed--by his quarry through a bit of overconfidence!

What follows is admittedly pretty predictable. Rescue by counter- terrorist commandos; an offer he can't refuse (train to be an anti- terrorist hit man or go to Federal prison); the training, itself, under ex-Navy SEAL Stan Hurley (enjoyably played by Michael Keaton); and, of course, the literal baptism-by-fire overseas when Team Orion crosses paths with renegade ex-teammate "The Ghost" (almost too-well played by Taylor Kitsch) who has a hidden agenda more shocking than all his accomplices!

I won't spoil the rest of the plot. Suffice it to say that, as end-of-summer blockbusters go (technically, the first day of fall isn't till Sept. 22), this movie is well worth the admission price.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]