IMDb > "Magic City" Castles Made of Sand (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Magic City" Castles Made of Sand (2012)

« Prev | 4 of 17 Episodes | Next »

Close but no Cigar

Author: Unknownian from United States
21 April 2012

This will be my last view of this show this season; and not because I haven't heard one "Neat", "Keen" or "Cool". It's the Pace. It plays like a Day Time Soap, and relies too much on trying to entertain us with the period (1959 Miami), and not with script quality. They toned down the nudity this episode to one fake set of Boobs. Last week the episode could have been called "Boob Quest". I'm sure the crew and cast are having a ball with filming in Miami and getting to live in 1959 when it was "Cool" to chain smoke, and drive cars that looked like Space Ships; however, that appeal wears off fast for a viewer. This episode was a wee bit better than last week; but not worth an hour of my life. Two notable moments were seeing Hotel Guests dance the twist which was actually invented in 1959 by Hank Ballard; and a well acted suspenseful moment delivered by Danny Houston (Ben Diamond) during a card game. Perhaps a condensed fast paced accurate movie could have developed successfully with this idea. Who knows...the Producers may hire a talented writer or two and save this show. I guess you'll have to wait for next season to find that out, because all the shows for this season have already been filmed.

1.3 Was Better than 1.2 ***1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
21 April 2012

You're reminded of the Jewish element at the Miami hotels circa 1959. "When does he want to see you?"-Next Shavuos. Ike takes pride in his kosher kitchen and the senator referring to you people and business. This is stereotyping at its best.

Both Ike and his wife look like they can soon have a fling.

Ben Diamond, as ruthless as every, scares Stevie that he knows about what's going on with the latter and the former's wife.

We view all the glamor and the glitz of the period. Jackie Kennedy's failure to appear at the beauty pageant is most disappointing to Ike's wife.

We see corrupt politicians and Ike's father gives us a scare when he collapses. We're all getting older.