IMDb > The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hitman's Bodyguard

The Hitman's Bodyguard More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Reynolds and Jackson were born for this moment

Author: allstarrunner from United States
9 August 2017

Wow, I was so impressed with this movie. I will admit that the first 20 minutes were pretty generic for me and I found myself thinking, "This is pretty much what I expected, but it's a free screening so just enjoy it." However, once Reynolds and Jackson team up on the screen the entire chemistry of the movie changes and it ended up being one of the funnest "buddy cop" movies I've seen in quite a while. (I know it technically isn't a buddy cop movie, but it really is for all intents and purposes.) The movie doesn't take itself seriously (were you really expecting that with Reynolds and Jackson?!), and just like any modern action/comedy the plot isn't meant to be something like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. This movie is 100% worth spending the cash to go see in the theater with a group of people. I can also tell you this, the atmosphere leaving the theater was great; this movie is a lot of fun!

Not everyone will like it, but I did.

Author: Grant Dawson from Texas
10 August 2017

The Hit-man's Bodyguard is a movie I never knew I wanted to see until I saw the first trailer. I was instantly hooked, and couldn't wait to see it on opening day. Well, I actually got a bit lucky for once as I was invited to see the movie almost two weeks before it opened. And I gotta say, it's one of the best action/comedy movies I've watched in quite a while...perhaps since Deadpool.

So what's this movie about? Well, it's about a guy (Ryan Reynolds) who used to run a protection agency before he lost a client and his business failed, forcing him to become a personal bodyguard. He is tasked by an Interpol agent to get a witness who is a former assassin (Samuel L. Jackson) to a courthouse to testify against a dictator. Craziness ensues.

While the story sounds interesting, it plays out in a pretty typical and predictable way. Not that I should have expected much more. It is an action/comedy film, after all. But predictability aside, the story does get the job done. Yeah, you'll be able to figure out how the film will end within the first 30 minutes or so, but that's not all that important, because it's all about the journey to that very predictable, and satisfying, ending. And boy, the adventure that Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds go on is extremely entertaining.

Being a comedy, you'd expect some good comedy in this film, right? Well, The Hit-man's Bodyguard delivers on that expectation and then some. Once you get past the movie's slow start, it's pretty much an all you can chuckle buffet. (The chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson is incredible!) Of course there are a few jokes that fall flat, but they are few and far between. Oh yeah, if you're a fan of Deadpool humor, you'll really like this movie. It's not full-blown Deadpool, but it's pretty damn similar.

Now, the biggest surprise for me with this movie is how great the action sequences are. The team behind this film definitely drew some influence from movies like John Wick and Jason Bourne for both the combat scenes and the chase scenes. They're riveting, with some great humor sprinkled in.

Overall, The Hit-man's Bodyguard is one of the biggest surprises of the year so far for me, and will definitely go down as one of the most enjoyable films of the year. It's funny, it's action packed, and the story is interesting enough to keep it all moving towards a satisfying conclusion. So yeah, I guess you could say it's pretty dang good. Go see it when it comes out on August 18th.

Great Action & Greater Laughs!!

Author: jmbousman from United States
9 August 2017

I just saw a preview of "Hitman's Bodyguard" last night with my wife. We are both fan's of action and comedy and went into this hoping it would be as good as we hoped from the actor's involved. I am a HUGE Sam Jackson fan and an equally big Ryan Reynolds fan. I'm glad to say that this movie did not disappoint!

I would've given this movie a 10 if only voting on the action and comedy but there were a couple of plot points that were slightly predictable. I don't feel these couple of things hurt the movie much due to what the movie is being advertised as, which is an action comedy and this is by far where it shines. I laughed harder during some scenes of this movie than I've laughed in a long time during a movie. The last I remember laughing harder is last year during "Deadpool".

If you like lots of action and great comedy with actors with plenty of chemistry and don't mind a significant amount of f-bombs, which if you're a Sam Jackson fan I'm guessing you don't, then drop some cash for a ticket. You won't be disappointed!!

Great action comedy

Author: SeanMcGraw from Redwood City, CA
8 August 2017

Just watched a sneak preview of The Hit-man's Bodyguard. I had high expectations given the cast of Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson. The movie exceeded these expectations! Over the top comedy and action -- best combination since Deadpool last year. Definitely worth watching!

I'm a long-time IMDb user, but this movie was so good, I felt I needed to get an IMDb login so I could review it!

Top movie I've seen this year, edging out Baby Driver!

Why all the bad reviews? Just sit back and enjoy this action/comedy!

Author: rogerarreola from Corona, CA
28 August 2017

I read some reviews that trashed this movie and I'm wondering if these are the same people that thought that Birdman (worst movie ever) was the best a couple of years ago. OK...I get it and I understand why people are hating on this movie. The movie is violent, predictable and has a script that is full of foul mouth language. But the beauty of the movie experience is that when you walk into a theater, turn off your brain and enjoy this movie for what it is. I laughed out loud and enjoyed this from beginning to end. Yes it is full of unrealistic stunts, bullet dodging and perfect aim by the "good guys" but that is what makes it enjoyable. Of course it is it is full of "F" words but that is what makes this movie fun.

Samuel L, Ryan Reynolds and Selma Hayek (who played a surprising role) are fun to watch. Trust me don't go in thinking that this is some type of Jason Bourne or Jack Ryan spin off because it's not. Just sit back and watch it with the intent on being entertained by this funny action/comedy. There are some references to some old movies so you have to be keen and recognize them.

Funny and well acted without a story

Author: Moody2008 from Romania
5 September 2017

I gave this movie such a high mark because it made me laugh like I haven't laughed in a while at a movie. It does not have an intricate plot-line, it is predictable but has great lines.

I will say this. With any other actors than Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson this would have been a flop. You can see the humor that Reynolds has in Deadpool and that Jackson has in Django Unchained here. I think this is what I liked the most.They also have great chemistry together, I personally would not have guessed this, but now it makes a lot of sense.

It has interesting action scenes. I personally am not really into that so it makes no difference to me, but they seem pretty good.They also don't go overboard to make it not credible, but exaggerated enough that it is funny.

It is easy, it does not make you think a lot afterwards but it entertains you and I think this was the role of this film.

Hope you enjoy this movie as much as I did.

Great entertainment

Author: thembipearl from South Africa
5 September 2017

Watched the movie about two weeks back. I must say that initially it was not my first choice. I am a big fan of action and looking at the showings it was too scientific and didn't interest me that much but nevertheless I ended up watching it because my first choice was? not available at a time.

I liked that it kept me intrigued and almost was wondering how Samwell and the most respected body guard are going to cross their paths. It was interesting, entertaining, funny, memorable and full of action. Probably one of the few movies I would like to watch again. Big up to the producers.

Rating: C+

Author: MSB Reviews from Portugal
10 September 2017

This is the type of film from which I always expect to receive a fun bit of entertainment. I know that I'm not going to watch a masterpiece, but I also hope it's not a waste of my time. Well, The Hit-man's Bodyguard isn't exactly a good movie, but it's also not a major letdown.

Easy to say that the standouts are undoubtedly the performances of Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson. As a film critic, there are always some aspects of a movie that I already know that they're going to be great. I mean, who goes into a film with RR and SLJ and expect them to shank their acting?! Fun fact: their chemistry is awesome and it carries the whole thing.

Samuel L. Jackson might even have the best lines of the script. It's funny how he plays a more relaxed and cool guy, while Reynolds portrays a very meticulous and careful type of special bodyguard. Usually, they play the other one's role so it's somehow interesting to see the relationship between their characters evolve. Ryan Reynolds is also hilarious, as he has been in his most recent movies. Honestly, they basically play an exaggerated version of their public personas in real life.

Nevertheless, their characters are surprisingly well-developed. Their backstories are compelling and they justify well enough why they followed their respective career paths. They're mostly showed in well-edited and captivating flashbacks that never seem out of place, so kudos to you, Patrick Hughes.

Elodie Yung (Amelia Roussel) proves that she deserves more roles in big-budget features because she's really great in this one. Gary Oldman is good as the villain, but here is where the screenplay starts to crumble. It's yet another cliché villain with no real motivations to do what he's doing and he doesn't even appear in the film that much. In addition to this, he's the main reason why the tone is so unbalanced since it feels a completely different movie every time he shows up. The script quickly jumps from a "buddy-cop" comedy to someone shooting a child ... Off-screen. Still, that happens.

The humor has its ups and downs. There are some good chuckles here and there, but some jokes just fall entirely flat. When they do work, it's mainly due to the excellent job of the cast that is able to pull them off. The action is fine, there are a bunch of cool chasing scenes (the ones through Amsterdam are indeed pretty great), but their editing lacks quality. In some shots, I can even see the stunt man driving the car, but thankfully the sequences are long enough to make me kind of forget those mistakes.

I praised Elodie Yung's performance and I keep that compliment. However, she's connected to one of my main issues with the protagonists' essence. Both Darius and Michael are who they are due to the love that they had in their lives, but once they show how the romances started, everything stops making sense. It's so cliché that it even becomes unrealistic and it's by far the laziest section of the screenplay in the whole film. Literally, it's like they "bumped into each other and fell in love" kind of romances.

Following that train of thought, this isn't groundbreaking. It's an action-comedy in its raw, predictable form. Fifteen minutes into the movie and I already knew the entire plot, so obviously every attempt to elevate the suspense or tension in a scene, fails miserably, also due to extreme foreshadowing. Consequently, the first half of the film drags a lot and it becomes a bit boring, but the action-heavy third act partially compensates the previously wasted time. Patrick Hughes should have reduced the runtime by 20-25 minutes, at least.

All in all, The Hit-man's Bodyguard doesn't disappoint me, but it also doesn't exceed my expectations. Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson carry the whole thing, either by pulling off some fine jokes or by perfectly portraying some surprisingly well-explored characters. However, both the plot and the villain follow every cliché in the book, as well as the unrealistic love stories that are so important to the main characters' personalities (Elodie Yung is great, though). The first half of the movie drags too much, consequently stretching the runtime too much, but it's still a movie that most audiences will fairly enjoy.

The film would have fallen flat if not for the efforts of Reynolds and Jackson

Author: HirenMalvaniya from Surendrangar, Gujarat, India
18 September 2017

There was a time when the buddy movie formula ruled the Hollywood cinematic universe. We loved the brashness of such films as Lethal Weapon or 48 Hours. But then the formula fizzled out and filmmakers moved to other things. To cite an obvious example, The Nice Guys (2016) starring such acting heavyweights as Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling was smartly set in the '70s but despite its okay plot, and superb acting by both Crowe and Gosling, wasn't a big box-office hit.

The Hit-man's Bodyguard looked like a great idea on paper – bring together Ryan Reynolds, fresh off the boat from his profanity-ridden Deadpool and Samuel L Jackson, who is known for his on-screen cussing, and wait for the fireworks to start as the duo at first go all out to murder each other and then develop a mutual respect that borders on friendship. And, for most part, director Patrick Hughes, of The Expendables 3 fame, gets it right. The best scenes in the film are when Reynolds and Jackson are pissing each other off. Reynolds doesn't roll off expletives like he does in Deadpool but Jackson does go over the top. Reynolds smartly plays the straight guy to Jackson's more gregarious character and it works.

The plot of the film is explained in its title itself. Reynolds is a down-on-his luck private security agent, who is cajoled by his girlfriend Elodie Yung, an Interpol agent, into making sure an ace hit-man, Samuel L Jackson, reaches the international court at Hague alive to testify against an evil dictator of Belarus – which is an actual country, by-the-by . The creepy dictator is played by Gary Oldman who gets to ham to his heart's content. Now, the bodyguard and the assassin have a history – it's revealed that Jackson tried to kill Reynolds some 28 times in the past – so one can see that their relationship isn't going to be easy. In fact, they start of by trying to kill each other and only Jackson's injury prevents him from killing his would-be bodyguard. The rest of film is devoted to the banter between them and how they defuse the tension and reach their goal.

The film's chief flaw is that director Hughes just doesn't get the tone right. Instead of concentrating on making a buddy movie with a smattering of violence, he goes for the overkill, piling up bodies by the dozen at every action set piece. Then, there are a couple of gory scenes as well that jar. Gary Oldman executes the wife and child of a rebel in cold blood and Reynolds is tortured through electric shocks in a graphic manner. The action scenes too don't have a fluid intensity that we have come to expect from Hollywood blockbusters. Then, while we get that Reynolds' motives for helping his ex is to get her back, there are too few scenes between him and Yung to get the chemistry going. Compared to that, the scenes between Jackson and his wife, played by Salma Hayek, are epic. She out-cusses him in a scene set in a jail and we see a nice montage of her fighting off guys in a bar and Jackson mooning over her as she uses the jagged edge of a beer bottle to open up a man's neck… that's love at first sight served with a Gothic twist.

The film would have fallen flat if not for the efforts of Reynolds and Jackson. We can see they are enjoying working with each other and it's their camaraderie plus some crazy-ass dialogue that saves the day. Watch the film if you are a Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson fan. Watch Midnight Run instead if you want to watch a real buddy movie…

Forgettable

Author: ayayayseba from london
24 September 2017

Well what a waste of my time. I don't know if the movie is bad or not, but i have seen this type of movies a 100 times. Very cliché, very embarrassing to look at times. Ryan Reynolds performing as a unsuited Deadpool, cause that's what his character is, Deadpool without a suit. We get it, he is suppose to be funny and sarcastic, but come on, not in every single line of the movie. There is a scene "spoilers" Where he is being torture, that it has the same feeling as when Wayde Wilson was being held in the mutant x underground laboratory.

On the other side, Samuel L Jackson, must have signed a contract to say motherfuker. every time he can or the producing company made that, because, well he says it at least 20 times. Really hard to finish movie. Is a movie that you wont even remember that existed a couple of moths from now. Watched in the cinemas. PLEASE Don't, wait for DVD release or stream it.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]