IMDb > American Mary (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
American Mary

American Mary More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Driving down is half the trip.

Author: onetoten from Canada
19 May 2014

One of the most exciting things about movies is discovering a gem that you never heard of. This film came on a cable movie channel one night. If any film in the past 10 years were to pay homage to David Cronenberg, this one is it. The plot isn't the only engine drives this movie. It's driven by its mood, competent cast and its brazen disregard for conventional human boundaries. Miss Isabelle is pitch perfect as Mary. She's a quick-to-learn student who rapidly becomes a "practicing" teacher on her star patient. Miss Isabell's understated performance sets the mood with every character. You just can't take your eyes off this movie. One of those characters said, "Mary, driving down is half the trip." Thanks to the Soska sisters and everyone who worked on this film, that "drive" is worth watching more than once.

Awesome find

Author: bearkat03 from Texas
5 September 2013

I really enjoyed this film. I had actually never heard of it and found it on Amazon. I thought it was very well thought out and very well acted. I couldn't stop watching it. I wont ruin the show but to say I was disappointed with the ending, I did not want it to end. Many of the other reviews stated that this was a show for Women power and that men are a-holes, I did not see that in this film. I was shocked at how quickly she went from innocent student to artist. The interaction between the professor and Mary I felt that portion of the movie wasn't really followed through with throughout the film, especially the last scene that we saw him in; many unanswered questions. Overall, excellent film I will add to my collection.

Great little Revenge horror flick.

Author: Michael 'Hallows Eve' Smillie from New Zealand
27 January 2013

This film starts of quite well and gets you involved in the story from the beginning. It was made by the Soska twin sisters and it tells the story of a medical student trying to work her way to becoming a great surgeon. But as she finds out there are people who like to take advantage of you when you are trying to make ends meet. It stars Katharine Isabelle (GINGER SNAPS) and she plays the role of medical student Mary Mason very well. The Soska twins have a little role each in the film also. I did like the story and how it moves along and some of the scenes are quite cringe worthy. The plot has a revenge element to it and you understand why Mary ends up doing what she does. This would have to be one of the Soska's better movies to date in my opinion. A great little horror flick. I give it a solid 7.5 out of 10.

disappointing

Author: mclameoid from Canada
28 April 2013

I was looking forward to seeing this movie, I like Katherine and the concept looked good. This movies was a complete failure. Katherine acted so emotionless throughout the movie that the character became boring and her motivations were not understood. I especially hated her money problems, a American med student would have a crazy amount of debt, and she had already been dealing with it for years. Also the rape scene...ugh...This movies would be-more interesting if based in reality, the surgeries should have been more realistic, arm transplant would be impossible and it would have been cooler if the surgeries would have been failures. The ending came out of no where. Don't see this movie it sucked.

Like watching white paint dry to black

Author: thekarmicnomad from United Kingdom
4 May 2013

This film follows the lovely, naive Mary's descent into darkness. Unfortuanlty this is literally what it does. Mary has a hell of a few bad days, then descends into darkness; roll credits.

Watching her journey is a bit like watching a sex education film. Interesting stuff is going on but you are not part of it and you just have to sit watching uncomfortably until it is over.

The acting, script, lighting etc. is all good. Katharine gives a stella performance, easily pulling off sweet, sexy and sinister, but it is not enough.

There is initially an intriguing insight into a sub culture of people who want to express themselves through physical modification. But all the members of this culture turn out to be stupid, weak or cruel.

Not much gore but there are some disturbing scenes.

This has all the right ingredient but is non-engaging and dull.

Very surprised

Author: philipcook98 from Lochinver, north west coast, Scotland
31 October 2015

I put this film on this Saturday night,31st Oct 2015,after coming across it whilst looking for a good horror movie that might give proper scares/jumps or better still,when you get a chill right up your spine & things that makes you grateful not to be in any situation at all that resembles that level of pain !! Anyway,so I sat down to watch it,(hopeful its a good one),around half an hour into it the very strange characters appeared & it started to get more of my full attention, (you will see what I mean). Without making any spoilers I can safely tell you that,this is one of these films you turn shouldn't turn off,cause you'll miss the very bits of others who watched all of it talk about,so just keep watching. Lastly I would recommend getting comfy,get some munchies (for hardened horror fans,not if your squeamish) tell everyone else to shut up or leave the room for a couple of hours !! Now your ready to watch this VERY,VERY GOOD MOVIE,It takes a movie like this for me to give an 8 star rating,but this one is an easy 8,especially for a horror,ENJOY !!

Surprisingly Good and fun to watch!

Author: Chris Smith (RockPortReview) from United States
6 April 2015

The body modification sub culture is sort of the like the old time carnival freak show. People surgically mold, sculpt and pierce their way into something else but the person on the inside stays the same. The 2012 film "American Mary" features Katherine Isabelle, the breakout star of 2001's "Ginger Snaps", as a Med student who finds herself performing body mod surgeries that she finds out is quite good at.

Being a poor college student Mary Mason answer's a Craig's List style ad for a sleazy strip club owned by an even sleazier younger guy. During her "interview" something goes terribly wrong outside and Mary if offered $5,000 to do some impromptu surgery on some guy. She is freaked out but does it. Word gets around to the underground body mod culture and she is approached by some pretty strange characters to help them finish their work. Isabelle plays Mary perfectly, she is desperate enough too take these strange jobs, but is still grounded and very professional. She provides a desperately needed service to the extremely rich who believe she is an artist who works in the medium of skin.

She is first pursued by Beatrice who has transformed his/her body into Betty Boop. After completing a surgery on her for $10,000, her friend Ruby comes calling next. Rudy is transforming her body to look like an anatomically incorrect Barbie Doll and has a few things cut off and one thing sewn up. The film has a darkly comedic thread throughout. Ruby, Beatrice and the others are all portrayed as good people on the inside, but different on the out. While the exact opposite is true about the other so-called normal people.

Back at school Mary is invited to a swanky party thrown by one of the big shot surgeons, but she has unknowing just stepped into the lions den. She is drugged and raped by the surgeon, but little does he know the unique skills that Mary has recently acquired. Mary exacts swift and painful revenge upon the Doc. Making him her test subject for new procedures, keeping him alive and aware the whole time.

"American Mary" is full of interesting unique characters and well played throughout. It was written and directed by the Soska twins, Jen and Sylvia, who also play parts as customers to Mary. They bring a real sense of authenticity and care to the film, that would have been lost had it been done by anybody else.

Horror Film, with quirks, lots

Author: Steve B from United States
7 March 2015

I am giving this film a high rating for the creativity of the plot, story, and sets. I would call it slick and sexy. Katharine I. did a great job....probably on those hotist lists after this flick.

This horror story is obscure and almost fun except for all the gore. Most horror flicks just stick to that. This one is a revenge horror film too aside from the other obscure aspects.

I think the Soska sisters may be a pair to watch after seeing this. At least for this genre.

Skipped through some of the more graphic scenes actually, they were just too much for us.

I watched this just to see Katharine Isabelle.

Author: svartamoln from Santiago, Chile
8 January 2015

There's no doubt she is by far my favorite actress and all started when I watched Ginger Snaps. In my opinion she is definitely an underrated actress who's acted in several movies but few of them have played such an important role in her acting career like this one and of course Ginger Snaps. American Mary is a well-developed movie that I very much liked it because it combines blood, flesh, drama and a good storyline with such a great acting from Katharine Isabelle besides I must confess that I'm totally delighted by her work, I really but really loved it. The movie is interesting from beginning to end, funny at times but mostly intense and what I liked the most was the evolution of Mary, at first you're gonna see a student, pretty and very smart living alone, working and doing little things in order to get some money but you'll end up seeing someone totally different, a girl with no fears, vindictive but mainly unstable. Well, in case I hadn't said enough I wanna add the fact that unlike the typical gore movies where you'll only see deaths and blood with no sense, American Mary has a very good storyline about revenge.

Now you might be wondering why after this review I gave only 8 stars out of 10 and that's because of the ending, I didn't like it but I'm not sure if another one could have been better. Anyway, it's worth watching.

"You're gonna make a great slasher."

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
17 October 2014

Modern imitation of some of David Cronenbergs' filmography is nonetheless interesting and watchable on its own terms. It's really more of a drama than a horror film, with touches of gore and dark comedy, and is slow paced enough that it may have some viewers fumbling for their remotes. It plunges the audience into a world of sordid and off putting characters in a tale of sex and fetishism. Ultimately, it works its way towards a somewhat conventional finish, but getting there is still an amusing enough experience.

The lovely Katharine Isabelle, best known for her role as Ginger in the "Ginger Snaps" series, stars as Mary, a promising med student in desperate need of cash. So she accepts the offer from nightclub owner Billy (Antonio Cupo) to patch up a mangled associate of his. This leads to offers from other people, people who are into radical body modification, to perform a variety of "underground surgery". As Mary is immersed in this world more and more, it really takes a toll on her well-being.

If it weren't for Ms. Isabelle, who looks extremely sexy in a variety of outfits, this would have been a little harder to get through. She delivers an engaging lead performance, and is believable throughout Mary's personality arc. It is fun to see Mary take her new business so seriously that she dismisses one potential patient who's willing to settle for something as mundane as piercings. And we do get to see a number of individuals who've had some pretty nasty things done to themselves.

Some people may want to note that at least the gore in this movie is serving the story and never *becoming* the whole reason for its existence. The effects are generally well done.

Sibling directors Jen and Sylvia Soska (who also cameo in "American Mary" as the German twins) do have some potential, so it will be intriguing to watch the progress of their careers.

Six out of 10.