IMDb > "Lilyhammer" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lilyhammer"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Lilyhammer" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Truly a great drama, with well served black comedy

Author: FrankTagliano from Norway
2 February 2012

After some episodes of "Lilyhammer", I really think they have made something original here. Steven Van Zandt is acting like a champ, and carries the show. It's not just a drama, but it also have some funny moments. Van Zandt have some golden comments and bring something Italian-American over to little Norway. Van Zandt as a mobster in ice cold Lillehammer is suitable, and so far this show has surprised me. A lot of good supporting actors here too. Like Fridtjof Såheim and Trond Fausa Aurvaag, both well respected actors in Norway. The level of acting is good overall, with characters that brings the best and worse out of each other. I'm looking forward to the continuation, and I recommend others to see it too.

Amusing crime drama

Author: helmuc from United Kingdom
8 February 2012

I will start with a sentence: it isn't usual American crime drama. Throughout the scenario you will be submerged in Scandinavian culture with their simplicity, beautiful landscapes and people who prefer to keep silent instead of talking things people around already know... and that sounds kinda Sicilian :)

Watched both first series and wow! ... waiting for the next one :)

simply brilliant!

And, yes - I meant "amusing" as it is full with original and interesting Norwegian characters and loaded with comedy elements.

Humm, many will say the name of the real town is Lillehammer, but remember that the name of his dog was Lily - and then the picture is complete.

If you are after blood, whores, drugs and uber violence - these TV series are not probably for you - it is all about being what? hey - watch it!

Great show!

Author: jr-289-665106 from Washington State
10 February 2012

I loved it. I heard Little Stevie on The Sern Show the other day and couldn't wait to watch this. This is a continuation of Little Stevie's character in another well known mobster drama as far as I'm concerned. I hope we get to see a lot more of this show. You will not be disappointed with this if you have enjoyed any of Stevie's other portrayals of a bad a** mobster. I could watch episode one over and over again. This is truly one of my favorite shows running right now. And best of all it is brought to us by Netflix. I hope to see a lot more from this wonderful entertainment company. Moreover, I hope to see more of Little Stevie Van Zandt. Thank you for reading & enjoy!

Refreshing and well Written

Author: Leslie Bransfield from Canada
11 February 2012

I thought this was an amazing series and hope that it continues for a second season. I found it to be very well written and entertaining. I sat and watched all 8 episodes in one sitting because I was hooked within the first 30 min. Good characters, good acting, good story line. Lots of twists and turns but Frank always comes out smelling like a rose. Anybody who has an interest in sopranos or shows like it will enjoy it. Also, over 50 percent of the dialogue is subtitled but don't let that detour you from giving it a chance. Its well worth it.

Steven Van Zandt surprised me in this series. Sure he's doing what he does best as a mafioso character, but its nice to see him on the screen again and handled the lead role very well.

Lilyhammer and Netflix

Author: kc1997 from United States
18 February 2012

When I first heard Netflix was making an original episode I was not at all impressed. I was like great, pile on crap to your already disgraced name. Well, I was wrong. Forgive me Netflix. I absolutely, love this new series. I put the show on this afternoon, and I have been glued to it all day. I am now on the 8th episode. Van Zandt (The Sopranos) is ruthlessly awesome. He may be a thug/wiseguy, and uses his bullish ways to get what he wants in this small, sheepish town of Norway, but you find yourself attached to his character. The townspeople, each have unique story to tell. They are all odd in a wonderful way.

The only thing I see a problem is.., subtitles. I like it, but may turn off some viewers. So, if your not a foreign film watcher, or like to read, you will hate it. No, this is not a foreign film...just an example. The entire film is spoken in Norweign with atiny bit of English spoken. So be warn. Who knows you might like it, and learn a new language. It could happen. Overall, I love Steven Van Zandt is in this series..A+ job.

LilyHammer Simply Amazing.

Author: kylejones_123 from Canada
26 February 2012

Steve is amazing in the show and its creation, great story line, great characters. I really hope Nexflix runs 10 seasons. Good job Netflix keep making Lilyhammer the great show that it is. Great job Steve.

Anyone who watches the first episode will be hooked into watching all eight amazing episodes in one day. The show has its great funny points throughout all episodes, and a great story line with amazing talent from all the cast. Please Take sometime to watch this amazing first time production by Netflix.

Frank "The Fixer" Tagliano (Steven Van Zandt), a former member of the New York mob, is put in the witness protection program after testifying in a trial in the United States. Tagliano is relocated to Lillehammer in Norway as he was intrigued by the town when he saw television images of the 1994 Winter Olympics, and therefore chooses to start his new life, as Norwegian-American immigrant Giovanni Henriksen.

Frank Tagliano is a New York Mobster who is relocated to Norway, Lillehammer after giving up his boss to the FBI

Author: JesusPrice from Norway
17 February 2012

(I don't know what the last guy was talking about - this show is laugh out loud funny).

The show starts off pretty fast by Frank Tagliano (Steve Van Zandt) who's a New York Mobster, giving up his boss to the FBI. Within the first 20 minutes of the first episode he's relocated to Norway, more specifically, Lillehammer. This is due to the fact that he saw the Winter Olympics in '94 and decided it was a good place to start a new.

From there Frank has to adapt to Norwegian society which is proving to be quite the challenge. Public works officials like the good folk over at NAV aren't very helpful when it comes to adapting. Frank soon realizes that in order for him to succeed in Norway, he's going to have to resort to his old ways.

The show is funny, very funny. There are some things that seem a little thin, for example how fast he learns to understand Norwegian. Though he doesn't seem to understand a hundred percent of the time what people say (like the review before me implied). Other than that I think everyone who plays a part in this show does a great job. There's no reason why this show would deserve anything beneath a 8/10 rating.

And if you think I'm getting paid to say this: No, I'm not. But I thought the show deserved an honest review, and not a biased one. Give it a chance, I didn't think I'd be very funny but now I'm really looking forward to season two.

Norwegian show not American

Author: MNorge from Norway
11 March 2012

A lot of people seems to think that this is a US produced show ... It's not ! The show is a Norwegian idea and written, directed and produced in Norway by a Norwegian company. It's not an original American / Netfix produced show. Netfix only bought the rights to show it in the USA If you look at the list of production crew, you wont see any American names: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1958961/fullcredits#cast Does anyone here really think that any multi zillion dollar American production studio would spend money on a series in Norway, with mostly Norwegian actors, language and culture ? get real ! The show is great by the way

and to "eastcoastguyz" comment of 5 May 2012

"This is a spin-off from The Sopranos regardless if anyone wants to admit it or not. Same character with a different name. The show had promise but it's ruined by excessive subtitles that are totally uncalled for. In Norway they also speak English, so there is no need for the subtitles for a series that's target is the American audience"

The show is first and foremost targeted to a Norwegian audience. Netflix has become somewhat involved in season 2, but it is still targeted first and foremost to the Norwegian audience. The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation ( NRK ) has the first hand right to broadcast the series and decides how many seasons etc. Unless NRK decides to not want to continue with the show, that's how it is.

The series has been sold to over 130 countries world wide.

As for Language and subtitles ... It would be a silly series, if everyone were to speak English. English is not the main Language in Norway and while it no doubt would be comfortable for an English speaking audience, it would look and sound totally ridiculous in a series made from Norway. It would be unnatural. We live in the real world up here North ...

black comedy in tongues

Author: Jay Littlefeather from Burnaby, BC
14 February 2012

this Netflix exclusive series was a delight to watch. full of darkness and humor . the characters are diverse and unique . adds some culture shock for non residents of Norway and its a fun ride to watch a light hearted look at a mafia goon go good sort of?

it nice that he makes good decision amount bad when it comes to helping out the right people. definitely looking forward to more episodes and worth watching a couple times.

The setting is very unique, the story may be predictable at times but over all still a great chapter series.

it does contain course language, some racial inappropriateness, nudity and other sensitive material for some viewers.

Great New Crime Drama...with some comedy

Author: justin-mendygral from North Carolina
10 February 2012

I first heard of Lilyhammer through a Howard Stern interview with Steven Van Zandt. Since I was a huge Sopranos fan I immediately became interested in Lilyhammer. The show itself is great and I'm really impressed with Netflix's first original program. One concern is that they would not have enough funding to continue the project. Lilyhammer will never be confused with Soprano's but it has a lot of similarities to all organized crime dramas. Steven and the other actors do a great job, the only issue I have is sometimes it is difficult understand the native actors. While it does add authenticity to the setting it requires you to give your full attention to the screen. Luckily, the show is great and there is no worry of losing interest.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]