IMDb > Crooked Arrows (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Crooked Arrows More at IMDbPro »

More then Lacrosse!

Author: Artie K. Martin from Six Nations
21 May 2012

I seen this film described as a, "David vs Goliath" event; Small team vs Big team = Small team wins! That's it in a nutshell, but It's so much more then that! Sure lacrosse is in our blood and our families played for centuries - and that alone is enough to bring tears to peoples eyes when they watch this on the big screen - but the imagery and language of our people in a medium that will touch so much people - makes me proud!

This new awareness of haudenosaunee people in popular media is way past due! When's the last time you seen a native even in a sitcom let alone a Haudenosaunee? You may know about the Cree, Navajo, Seminole, Cherokee, and Apache, but how many people know about the Haudenosaunee (a.k.a. Iroquois) league of nations? I love how this film incorporates subtle facts about the Haudenosaunee and doesn't miss expressing our sovereignty!

For those of you who play lacrosse and especially the younger ones getting into the game - this movie is for you! Your eyes might tear up and you may get so excited you want to cheer along - but you'll walk out of the theater more knowledgeable and more importantly - INSPIRED!!

Niá:wen / Thank you to the actors, production team, and everyone involved - what a great experience!

Great heart warming movie about family, community, relationships, history and sports.

Author: trtn-387-854440 from Long Island City, New York
3 June 2012

My husband, my cousin and I really loved this movie. Being native we especially enjoyed the cultural aspects that we know so well. The music was very familiar to us. We are happy that all people will have a chance to enjoy the wonderful story, fabulous acting, and beautiful scenery. This is definitely a feel good movie for all. I am looking forward to buying it when it comes out on DVD. I would show it to my class. There are so many things that they could learn from this movie. I am also sure that my students and all movie goers can relate to the relationships and other aspects of the story. I hope everyone goes to see this movie. There is something for everyone to enjoy. Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It Follows "The Formula" ...BUT

Author: davidfurlotte from Canada
12 October 2012

"Crooked Arrows" is one of those movies that even if you know almost nothing about the sport of Lacrosse you get involved in the game so much so that you might just find yourself yelling at the screen and that is part of "The Formula" that works so very well for movies about sports.

BUT

If you start watching this movie thinking that "The Formula" is all there is to it, get prepared for a BIG Wake-up call.

This movie has managed to twist Native culture, Traditions, History and even Language all together so expertly that you are not only being entertained but being educated at the same time.

Saying that this movie is an emotional roller coaster would be akin to saying that Tecumseh was a great warrior. Both are major understatements.

I'm not going to give anything away here because I really believe that potential viewers should just watch and ENJOY this movie from start to finish without knowing more than what is in the synopsis.

Probably the biggest compliment I can pay the movie is by saying, "I'm Dave Furlotte and I'm a Crooked Arrow."

A truly amazing film!

Author: megangushue from Canada
2 November 2012

Crooked arrows is an outstanding film that not only teaches its audience about the native culture, but also the real sport of lacrosse. My family and I just recently watched this movie and thought that it was very well done. Having native in our blood, we felt that it really taught us something about our culture and it's traditions. Also we happen to huge lacrosse fans, which is what prompted us to watch this movie in the first place, we felt that this movie really showcased the best parts about lacrosse; the hard-hitting play, and most importantly establishing a sense of community amongst the team and faithful spectators. The director really did a great job combing those elements into one in order to give lacrosse the reputation it deserves. Crooked arrows is probably the first movie souly surrounding the sport and I am glad that it was. The whole cast and crew made a truly impactful film that has something for everyone. This will most definitely be on my Christmas list this year. A truly great movie that will always make me feel like I've learnt something.

The formulaic underdog sports movie but still a solid entry

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
6 November 2012

Plain and simple...if you like the underdog sports films (Rocky, Miracle, Friday Night Lights etc etc etc) then you will love this. If you don't care for them then you won't. The film is very formulaic, it is practically lifted right from The Mighty Ducks scripts. I'm not saying this makes it bad, I simply am using it to explain to readers why they will or will not like it. Now as many reviewers have said, the thing that sets Crooked Arrows apart from those other films is they fascinating use of Native American culture. Now whether or not the information they show is factual, I don't know. I hope that it is because I don't think Native American culture is often explored in film especially to this end. The characters are good, although perhaps slightly one dimensional without any one of them standing out. Good direction and sports cinematography leaves you cheering for the time and will still make you feel good in the end. Is it unique? No far from it. Does that make it less enjoyable? Nope not at all. Crooked Arrows is a feel good sports film like any other.

I like Brandon Routh a lot. He might not be a leading man and say what you will but he was a great Superman, loved him in Chuck and he does a solid job in the lead role in this film. We all know the character, a jaded, power hungry, rising company star who for whatever reason finds himself forced to return to his roots and find himself in the process. He pulls it off and he's likable and you will root for him. Gil Birmingham does a good as Routh's father and one of the tribal leaders. His role is understated but significant. The beautiful Chelsea Ricketts gives perhaps one of the best performances of the film as the strong willed, sassy Nadie. She is fun and outspoken and just a terrific female lead. Crystal Allen is supposed to be the female romantic lead for Routh's character but she is incredibly underused and the chemistry between them is only slightly sufficient. She is heavily wasted in the film. Michael Hudson plays Reed, probably the most significant character on the team. Him and Rickett's have great chemistry and banter and they should have done more of the romance based on the two of them then Routh and Allen. The rest of the members on the team all play their roles well but they just don't get any opportunity to stand out.

Director Steve Rash isn't exactly a first rate director and yet he has had his share of experience and it hasn't all been bad. He does small little cute teen romantic comedies decently well. He brings that style to Crooked Arrows and it works. The reviews for Crooked Arrows all say the same...it is clichéd and it is, there is no doubt about it. But there is certain a niche in the demographic for this type of sport's film and the fact that Lacrosse is a huge major sport that as far as I know has never been done on film and then Native American angle keeps this unique enough to be enjoyable. It won't ever be an award winner but that doesn't make it perfectly entertaining. 8/10

Unoriginal but still appealing

Author: zoerobe from United States
5 July 2012

"Crooked Arrows" breaks no new ground in plucky underdog sports movies, but does offer a sweet, mostly clean alternative to some of the current theater offerings. It's rated PG-13, but has no graphic sex scenes, contains a positive message, and even a non-lacrosse fan like this one, found the games edge-of-your-seat intense. It does offer proof that sports movie clichés stay the same regardless of the ethnicity of the underdogs, but no film's perfect.

Brandon Routh plays the reluctant coach of the Jackpots (later Crooked Arrows) a ragtag public high school lacrosse team made of mostly Native Americans. He's also responsible for negotiating a land deal with a shady white guy, and is regarded by most his tribe, as a sell-out. Tensions come to a head when his dad opposes selling the land, and the council decides that dad gets to stipulate what Routh must do in return. The team is sufficiently pugnacious (they start a brawl after losing to a snooty prep school), but they need a coach who can channel their aggression and boost their confidence enough to be serious contenders. Also, they need much better equipment, which to the movie's credit, is dealt with openly.

The players break down into recognizable types: the goofy, fat kid; the insanely talented guy who needs to learn to be a team player; the spunky tomboy who's got more cojones than all her teammates put together, etc. The opposing coach who coached the teenaged Logan, is blond, scowly and borderline psychotic - and at one point, in perhaps a nod to The Karate Kid, bellows, "No mercy!" from the sidelines during a game. Unsurprisingly, the team will learn valuable lessons in life, and the coach will also grow as a person. As a Mr. Miyagi-like mentor figure puts it, there's a reason lacrosse is called "the Medicine Game."

Entertaining family sports movie about the history of lacrosse in Native American culture & A Mighty Ducks remake. I say B-

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
16 October 2012

"Restore pride to our people, and their game. That is your first obligation." A Native American prep school lacrosse team is starting another season. Another very long season. When a change is made in order to restore pride in the people Joe Logan (Routh) is assigned as the new coach. A former All-American player himself (although he hasn't played at all since missing the big shot) the school thinks they have the answer. First of all I will say that this is a good and entertaining movie. That said it took me a little more then halfway through before I realized why I was experiencing Deja-vu. The coach of the down-on-its-luck-rag-tag team used to be the star for the best team in the state. He missed the final shot of the season and is shunned. He starts off coaching for personal gain but begins to grow with the team and teaches them what being a team means. I could keep going on about it but what I'm getting at here is that this movie is almost a shot for shot remake of "Mighty Ducks". This one deals with the history of lacrosse in the Native American culture and that part is interesting and the movie is entertaining but don't expect anything original. Overall, a fun movie to watch as a family. I give it a B-.

Good family/sports film

Author: SnoopyStyle
31 August 2013

Joe Logan (Brandon Routh) is a local boy who's trying to make his mark. He wants to negotiate a land deal with a casino owner. In order to make it happen, he must get the agreement from the tribal council. In return he is forced to coach the local Native high school lacrosse team.

Brandon Routh has never been one of my favorite actors. Ever since Superman, I have seen nothing but stiff acting from him. In a way, he's perfect for Superman, but he makes a terrible Clark Kent. He's definitely no Christopher Reeve.

I'm willing to accept Brandon's limitation here. It's a workable cliché filled family/sports movie. Chelsea Ricketts plays his plucky sister. While he's the coach, she wants to play.

Like many sports movie, the final game is too long and too predictable. But it has enough feel good moments to make this work.

This is nothing like Mighty Ducks.. CONTAINS SPOILER

Author: coldheartedtruth from United States
8 August 2013

To the guy who say's it a remake? C'mon... think of all the differences.

- Gordon misses the big shot for real... but Joe misses on purpose - Gordon gives up hockey and becomes a lawyer... Joe gives up LaCrosse and becomes a Casino Manager - Gordon is doing community service... Joe is just pressured into it. - Gordon shows up for the first couple of practices in a suit, talking on his "car phone"... Joe shows up in a suit and talks on his cell phone. - Gordon gets inspiration to turn it around from old hockey store dude.. Joe gets inspiration from old Indian dude. - Gordon gets his boss to sponsor and gets new equipment... Joe buys the new equipment himself. - The Ducks change their name and logo because of sponsorship... the crooked arrows change theirs because they want to. - Gordon recruits the big scary kid from the alley... Joe recruits his from the forest. - Gordon recruits his best player from another team... Joe just has to convince his best player to play. - Gordon takes his kids to a North Star practice for motivation... Joe takes his on a vision quest. - The duck kids fly through the skyway on roller blades... crooked arrow dudes fly through the forest and there is no roller blades involved. - Gordon's love interest with the players mom is new... Joe already had dated the players mom he falls for. - Gordon's falling out with the team involves players leaving... Joe's falling out involves him leaving. - Gordon quits his job for the sake of the team... Joe just screws over a developer. - Gordon's former team they faces in the championship still has his old coach... Joes former team they face in the championship game does not. - Gordon's former team are called "cake-eaters" by his team because they are rich kids... Joe's former team are not called "cake-eaters" even though they are also rich kids. - Gordon's best player gets hurt due to cheap shot in the big game and doesn't come back... Joe's best player gets hurt due to cheap shot and comes back for the final 20 seconds. - Gordon's captain that makes the big shot against his former team that he missed is the son of his love interest... Joe's captain that makes the big shot against his former team that he missed... is "not" the son of his love interest.

The differences are staggering... why one would even see similarity is beyond me.

Not the best, but not the worst

Author: Katelyn Avery from United States
28 January 2014

This movie was better than I thought, but its not the best movie about (modern day) Native Americans. Most of the good films are low budget so they are seen by a small audience. This was more mainstream than the others. However it only had a 6 million dollar budget, so that's why the box office didn't go well. They worked well with the budget though.

I didn't hate this movie but its not in my top 20 or anything. I wanted to keep watching but I also wanted more to happen. A few lose ends and missed potential. I also don't see why two white actors (Chelsea Ricketts and Brandon Routh) were playing Native Americans. They had a bunch of other real Native Americans in the film. I wasn't steaming mad but it did bother me. At least some people were really Native American. Everyone acted well.

Its not a movie I would watch with friends but I do suggest watching it. Also I like that Lacrosse was in a movie.