IMDb > "Continuum" (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Continuum"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Continuum" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

There aren't "good guys" or "bad guys" here. That's the point.

Author: jeff-cusack
11 July 2012

A lot of reviews here have argued that Continuum show advances a pro- corporate, anti-democracy viewpoint. It doesn't, but you could be forgiven for thinking that. Most American shows have a clear good guy (the protagonist) and a clear bad guy (the antagonists).

This show, however, follows the Canadian tendency to operate in shades of grey. Continuum presents two opposing factions, and asks the viewer to make up their own mind whether they agree with the protagonist or the antagonists.

I'm not speaking from my own interpretation, but the official stance of the people behind the show. The "choose your side" mentality has been presented repeatedly in an explicit manner, most recently on the Continuum Facebook page, where a post recently asked, "Which side are you on? Team Kiera or Team Liber8?"

The show doesn't choose a side, but instead presents an interesting challenge to viewers which some won't be ready to meet:

The Freedom Fighters (antagonists) use brutal methods to accomplish their goals, but their cause is just.

The protagonist character Kiera operates within the law, uses non- lethal force, does what she thinks is right, and tries to protect people... And yet she champions the cause of despots.

Do you believe in the righteous champion of despotism, or the brutal champions of freedom? ...Or do you side with neither?

Best Canadian Show Ever

Author: Amy Reyn from Canada
16 July 2012

This show is better than any Canadian show I've seen so far. I'm actually surprised it's Canadian, we normally see extremely low tech and odd plot structures.

Continuum is amazing for so many reasons: the writing, the cohesive nature of every episode, the technology, the visuals, the editing, the flashbacks, the graphics, the acting, the music, the speed of action. I look forward to the rest of the season because I feel like, while other TV shows play at being high tech and futuristic, this show doesn't play around. This show IS high tech, it IS awesome! Watch this show because you won't be disappointed.

First impression

Author: Upright Man from Seattle
28 May 2012

**minor spoilers only for the first episode for explanation of the series**

This Canadian series caught my eye on a trip up north to Vancouver (where it's actually being filmed), and I'm very glad it did. I was surprised to see a very good cast anchored by Rachel Nichols and sci-fi fans will recognize a lot of faces from other series. This review is only after the pilot episode, so obviously I don't know how the series will turn out, but it looks like a very promising cyberpunk/cop hybrid series.

It is a time travel show in which future corporate "Protector" Kiera Cameron (Nichols) is unwittingly zapped back through time from an evil corporation-run 2077 to present day 2012 when trying to prevent a group of freedom fighters (or terrorists depending on your politics) from escaping execution through some kind of wormhole.

Not realizing the situation, Kiera tries to call for backup using her implants' encrypted transmission but instead reaches young computer genius Alec Sadler who happens to be inventing the future technology in his step father's barn. The escaped prisoners realize that instead of being transported back the six years they were supposed to be in order to stop the evil corporations from taking control, they've been sent back over sixty years.

Unfortunately, when they realize they can't strike against the future evil corporations, they decided the present ones will do just fine! Kiera realizes she must bring in the escapees before they start an all out war in present day Vancouver! Problem is she hasn't been born yet and hence has no jurisdiction. While investigating the transport site, she meets up with Detective Carlos Fonnegra and passes herself off as a Portland detective and the series begins.

It has a lot of cool near future tech like augmented reality eye implants, as well as recording and memory implants. To top it off she comes back wearing her Protector issue smart chameleonware body armor that not only deflects bullets, but provides invisibility cloaking, can interface with computers, and also deliver electric shocks, making Kiera a bit of a super spy in the present day.

A Sci-Fi Treat

Author: delightful-life
28 May 2012

The premise - A cop (Rachel Nichols) is accidentally sent to 2012 from the year 2077 along with a very very potent terrorist group, a group that the present league of police/crime fighters are just not equipped to handle.

By 2077 governments have been replaced by corporate rule and the terrorists are trying to bring back democracy by a revolution, so they have decided to go back to the past. Unfortunately though they wanted to go back just 6 years they are accidentally taken back 60.

I have just seen the pilot episode, and this was just brilliant. It was almost like a big budget movie and the quality is about 90% that of Fringe. Plus the novelty and the tech part exceeds Fringe! The main girl in the show is the pretty girl they introduced in the last season of Alias, and she was sort of the only disappointment. Its just like from Alias, she looks good but her acting is too artificial. Jennifer Garner would have just rocked this role. :-).

The Sci-fi is super good, and 'that' is the main attraction of this show. I am not sure if they would be able to keep this up, but I really hope they do, as right now there are very few good shows.

Is it recommended? Yes, definitely worth our 45mins. :-).............

-------

Addendum:

After reading a lot of the negative review of this show, yes, I too agree to many of that. The quality is not 90, but about 75% that of Fringe. But this show left me really excited and surprised right after seeing it. A majority of the TV shows are just mediocre/silly and this one definitely is 'not' mediocre.

----------------------

Review after seeing the 2nd and 3rd episodes:

The 2nd episode was pretty awful compared to the pilot and was disappointed. I decided to give it one final shot and see the 3rd episode, and it was good (relatively). I think I should give this show some time before making a final judgement. Some character development started happening in the 3rd episode and they have removed some of the cheeziness from the 2nd. It seems as if they are learning from their mistakes, but they didn't go back to edit out their mistakes from the previous episodes (aren't these shows shot continuously over a period of time and then aired months later, or maybe even a few weeks later, so doesn't it give them ample time?).

The sci-fi aspect is making me stick on. :-).

Check it out if you have some extra time and make your own decision.

-----------------

Review after 2 full seasons:

The show became significantly better after a few hiccups. I had thought that this show would loose steam, but no, they have greatly widened the story line, more characters and good character development.

Thank You for reading. Cheers!

I'm hooked!

Author: markimel1
21 January 2013

Let me tell you…I watched the final episode of season 1, and…I can't wait season 2!!!

Canadians sure know how to make a great TV show! I've always liked Canadian TV movies, high quality „products" by all means…and „Continuum" is just like a fresh breeze on your face. Why?! Because it's mysterious, very well made, smart, intelligent, and it puts your logic to a test! If you loved „The X files", liked „Millenium", watched „Fringe" and love mystery and suspense with a smart and refreshing story, „Continuum" is the way to go!

It explores theories… time travel, history, future…it questions today and its impact on tomorrow, and how yesterday's decisions become today's reality. It also brings a healthy dose of nice special effects, and just the dosage that can't hurt and make the show too „virtual".

Acting is superb! The characters are slowly being developed, the backgrounds seem to perfectly fit…all in all…exactly what fans of sci-fi and mystery need(ed)!

Continuum

Author: justin-kruger-412-905885 from San Francisco, CA
2 July 2012

What make Continuum different and interesting, isn't the central plot to the show, it's the characters and their motives. It's a bit more nuanced than your typical good cops vs. bad guys.

The show starts off in a distant but possible future where governments begin to fail to repay their debts and Corporations bail out the governments, to what extent we don't know. You do learn that the government very close with these corporations, and that not everyone enjoys how the corporations are running things.

A group of terrorists are constantly trying to disrupt the corporations and bring them down with any-means necessary, or so we are lead to believe, and this is where the show get's interesting. The terrorist are really just terrorists, but rather they are revolutionaries that are trying to build an honest society without the corruption of the corporations.

As the series unfolds. I like knowing that the core 'good' characters want the world to be a better place and are fighting for what is right, while the other characters each have their motives and their means. They each make their own decisions and don't have simple 'bad guy' motives. In fact several times I found my self rooting for the revolutionaries because heck I don't want a corrupt government in place, and some of the characters when given the option of fighting without violence opt for it.

If you give this show a chance I think it's one of the most compelling scifi shows out there. If you liked Caprica, or Battlestar Galactica you will like this show. The characters are very strong and compelling.

Continuum - A Great Idea That Works

Author: bobprice101 from United Kingdom
7 September 2012

Continuum is very well acted thanks to a host of established actors from other series. The leading lady Rachel Nichols is thoroughly convincing in character and has the on-screen ability to keep viewers wondering and watching what she is going to do next. The overall plot has lots of room for development which is significant if the series is to continue. Best of all viewers will want to watch episode after episode because the storyline is that good. Special Effects are very good too as should be expected today but the show obviously has been awarded a fair sized investment because there is a sophisticated gloss to the entire production other shows don't have. The first series is very good and I am currently looking forward to the second. If the second is as good as the first this could develop into a long-term show. I sincerely hope so.

Promising!

Author: tmz-401-518812 from Canada
19 June 2012

This show looks promising! An interesting storyline with talented actors and actresses. Fantastic CGI. Easily the best new sci-fi show this month.

Why are people immediately assuming it is backed by corporate America? Last I checked there was more than one country in North America. A 'North American Union' would contain at least 3 countries. Just because the plot starts with corporations taking over the world? People have barely watched 1 episode and they are already jumping to conclusions. The possibilities are endless, the story has obviously captured your attention, why are you bashing it?

There is no conspiracy theory, the main character is doing her job. Not quite sure how that equates to her stopping freedom?

Look past real world existing oppressive regimes. If you haven't noticed, it is a Canadian made and produced show, and I can almost guarantee the storyline is going to be surprising you as it progresses. You can feel that as the main character Rachel learns more during her experiences in the past, and how that experience will affect the future time line.

Continuum brings Canada Sci-fi to the fore

Author: rich-stryker
31 July 2012

My week is not started until I get to watch my Continuum.

There is something about the program that engrosses me. I am so happy that the show doesn't hide that it is filmed in Canada and doesn't need to make the Canadian Armed Forces look uber- tough nor the police all spit and polish. The film quality and special effects are sharp and look up-to-date with American standards, I know the Canada has been doing such quality for American shows for decades. Also, it was hilarious to see "Carlos" doing the nude bathing scene and getting his butt kicked by a woman when normally Hollywood does the opposite.

The storyline is slow at points but it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the show. The teasers and cliffhangers in the show such as in episode 9 makes you want to come back for more.

The show does use swearing. I'd prefer to have nothing at all but at least they keep it down to a minimum.

I am hopeful that there will be a second season and that foreign companies will start showing the program. I think it will do well in the UK and US.

Keep up the good work!

One of the Best

Author: melcher-2001 from Santa Fe, New Mexico
17 November 2014

This is one of the most creative and imaginative shows on television. It honors the sci-fi genre by actually addressing the questions we must ask ourselves about the future and how our actions in the present will shape it. This is what science fiction, at it's best, is meant for. Instead of depending on elaborate sets and overblown special effects (almost everything is filmed on location in Vancouver) the show leans heavily on good writing and performances and a plot that twists and turns without coming off as totally implausible or absurd.

Although it draws one in with the familiar vocabulary of a police procedural, Continuum isn't a western or a magical fantasy in disguise, but a sobering look at very contemporary questions. Much like the superlative Battlestar Galactica (only with a much smaller budget) it isn't afraid to address scary subjects. And yet it's still fun.

Best performances are by the leads Rachel Nichols and Erik Knudson, with a cast of great supporting actors. Nichols, as Kiera carries us with her admirably through all of the twists and turns. I believe the key here is an admirable restraint that keeps performances focused on creating convincing characters while opening the doorway to a dazzling array of narrative possibilities. Rather than relying on formulas the show gets more interesting as it goes along.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]