IMDb > The Hangover Part III (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hangover Part III

The Hangover Part III More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 29: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Not really catching up to the other parts

Author: wowj99 from United States
20 July 2013

When I saw this movie I was excited to see it The Hangover part 3,yeah! you would think right? but when I saw it was humorless, no plot and last but no least NO hangover it was just trying to get money from Chow who was even goofier in this one, haha. I mean I think they could of done it a lot better. Bradley Cooper didn't seem happy to be in this movie at all! The acting was OK you could say. The plot was all over the place and like I said sadly no hangover just a completely pointless plot. it could've been better about 100%. The Audience wants to see a hangover not something else of course that is why it's called The Hangover. The scenes could've been better as well as the set and the scene where they were sneaking into the penthouse with the light flickering on and off and the way the camera was displayed was like what?!

Distasteful money grab

Author: ziranswan from Texas
16 June 2013

Do not waste your hard earned money on this load of garbage. Just because you enjoyed the first movie does not mean this one is worth seeing. Honestly, don't even see it out of curiosity, you will have wasted your time. All the remotely funny parts are blatantly shown in the trailer, and the rest of the movie is a somewhat serious gold heist in which nothing is funny. I gave this movie a 5 because at least the production value was good and Todd Phillips at least tried to veer off from the original two scripts. I have seen some terrible movies in my day, so I reserve my god-awful rating for god-awful movies. But um, don't see this movie. It's garbage wrapped in lies.

Why are the guys in this series less well-

Author: Hot 888 Mama from Jacksonville, FL
16 June 2013

-endowed when selected to be shown in the buff than then the men in something such as BOOGIE NIGHTS or FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL? Don't the guys that hang out in the HANGOVER series have any self respect? What kind of message do they think they are sending to the world--which accounts for more than half of the eyes on the screen for any U.S. flick--when they denigrate American manhood in such a fashion? Perhaps it would not be so bad if such a bon mot came out during the first five or ten minutes of a feature. But when it the very last image of the entire film that the audience is left with, it is underlined with an importance that otherwise might not be attached to it. Further, when such a joke from Mother Nature involves one of the five main characters, it carries a lot more weight with the rest of the universe than if it was just some extra's lame inch. With all of the potential threats currently facing America, we cannot afford to let our guard down, as the HANGOVER people do. Who'll have the last laugh now?

Disappointing

Author: Reasat Faisal from Bangladesh
15 June 2013

I made the huge mistake of getting my hopes high for this movie.I waited the whole time to see a humorous scene where i could laugh like the other parts of hangover but instead it ended with a very disappointing note.Maybe I had my hopes too much for this sequel.Its not a comedy movie but instead its genre should be drama. The only positive part about the movie is Mr. Chow (Ken jeong).He just stole the show from the wolf pack totally.If there is a hint of smile in your face after seeing the movie is because of this guy. I wonder what would happen if his role wasn't characterized properly. Overall my rating is very low for this movie because Hangover was one of my favorite movies of all time..... :(

A Lame Attempt

Author: PollyPick from Australia
13 June 2013

I was expecting so much more from this movie. I'm not especially picky when it comes to the movies I watch and I'll give anything a chance: from art house to blockbuster, Bollywood to Nollywood, shorts, whatever. I welcome movies that are entertaining, thought-provoking, beautiful or just plan kooky.

This none is none of those things.

The setup is one we expect: The gang is back. Cue the road trip, the disappearance of that one wolfpack member who always disappears, and the hijinx that ensue from the boys trying to save their friend. But the pacing grinds to a halt in places, the dialogue feels like it was written on the fly, and the characters remain undeveloped.

This movie seemed to drag on forever, in no small part due to the lacklustre writing. At least 15 minutes was spent with one or two characters narrating a laborious back story. The main characters seemed to be in a perpetual state of shock, which was repeatedly expressed by the lines "F&*k me!" or "WTF?" There was nothing witty or amusing about the script. The actors seemed like they were just going through the motions and their performances were as stilted as the pace of this movie.

For all these reasons, I just could not connect with any of the characters. I didn't care what happened to them one way or another.

The only thing I enjoyed while watching this was hanging out with my husband and eating popcorn for an hour.

While I relished the first movie, the only reason I imagine why this one was created was as a thinly veiled attempt to siphon as much money out of the movie-going masses as possible.

Unbelievably bovine.

Author: Advait Kamat from India
7 June 2013

I don't profess to be much of a sucker for the films that really value your popcorn but "The Hangover Part 3" is a tiresome experiment of an age-old concept. A concept that had come and should've gone with "The Hangover" a few years ago but unfortunately did not. The first installment was admirably zingy and surprisingly original, and worked solely because it fleshed out its characters so wonderfully well. The second one was basically ripped-off from the first one, but the repetitive and derelict gags and the familiar situations ended up getting the better of your patience. A greatly optimistic person would've believed that a third part would actually make sense when the second one clearly missed the mark by miles, and that's why, I presume, they've made a third one.

After the death of his father, Alan (Zach Galifianakis), a troubled loner, decides to take up therapy on the insistence of his family. Driving him to the rehab facility are his three friends Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms) and Doug (Justin Bartha), but get ambushed mid- way by a group of gangsters headed by Marshall (John Goodman). Marshall tells them that their friend Leslie Chow (Ken Jeong), who had escaped from the Bangkok prison he was in, conned him out of 21 million dollars worth of gold bars and now wants it back. Though they protest about not knowing Chow's location, they're told to get the loot in three days time and take away Doug as bait. The rest of the plot focuses on their attempts to reach and outsmart Chow of the loot and the things that eventually happen when everything predictably goes wrong.

"The Hangover Part 3" is nowhere as hilarious as the first installment, and the few weak gags that are thrown to us doesn't even classify it as a comedy. What it really is, is some kind of a farrago that doesn't know what it wants to be and ultimately settles for an unpropitious crime-comedy so lame-o that it's hard to guess which quip merits a laugh. One of the most vacuous instances in the film is Alan taking a smiling picture of himself at his father's funeral. If that was supposed to be a joke, it was either very mildly funny or completely doltish. There are a few more instances like these when we feel that the film begs us to laugh, or to be amused in any way, but the gags are often so feeble that we can only manage a weak chuckle. Somehow, "The Hangover Part 3" doesn't feel like an installment that deserves to be placed as a sequel to the wonderful first one, partly because it tries to tell a story convincingly, and a story that had the wheels to go the distance and redeem the makers of the shoddy second, but it's lost somewhere when it desperately pretends to be a comedy. Perhaps the most amusing thing about the film is how director Todd Phillips pulled out a small link from the first film and squashed and jabbed it to produce some kind of a dim-wit story that served as its plot. The lack of attention to the little details cannot be overlooked entirely, which were clearly perceptible because the makers want you to focus more on the plot, which in turn makes it hard to invest into the story and the characters.

On the flip side, though the film is too stodgy to be a good crime story and too unfunny to be a comedy, it is seldom boring, thanks to the little twists that the plot keeps throwing up every ten minutes or so. My favorite moment in the film was when Alan placed his sunglasses on the eyes of the character of the boy, who was the lost baby in the first part, now grown-up. The moment was, in some way, wickedly moving and the makers deserve some credit for weaving the character into the plot for a small sequence.

Of the performances, Galifianakis, who plays Alan, is as likable as ever and though the plot revolves around his character more, he effortlessly carries the film throughout its runtime. Jeong plays the sassy Chow with his usual flair, and provides the much needed energy to the sinking film. Cooper sleepwalks through his role, a role that must've been absurdly easy and undeserving for an actor of his stature. Helms, on the other hand, is largely unconvincing as Stu, the twitchy dentist who shone in the first installment, but is a mere distraction in this one. He serves absolutely no purpose to the plot and the Stu he plays is so radically different from the one we knew for so long. And, as always, it's enormous fun to see the terrific John Goodman play the bad guy.

"The Hangover 3" is easily the worst installment of the three, and a film that should've absolved the makers of making the scummy sequel to the fine first. If you are a fan of the first two installments, then you might be allured by the third. For me, it was nothing more than a wearisome end to a franchise that could've been so much more.

Didn't need the hangover franchise for this one

Author: jordansteel from India
6 June 2013

Lets face it. There was never any for sequels for this concept. Part 2 proved it and in part 3 they seem to accept it by announcing they quit. The movie revolves around thrills and action which work to a small extent by themselves has its funny parts but never really goes anywhere rather it goes downhill and by the end i wasn't expecting anything good so i wont say it let me down. I personally feel the Chow was a bit overdone here. Don't know the idea but it never really worked for me. Don't go by the hangover title. Its a misfit. Just average thriller with a little humor here and there. At best worth a watch on TV if you got nothing else to do on a weekend. Else skip this one.

Um, well, Um, yeah, not so good

Author: jason-697-936376 from Virginia
28 May 2013

I loved loved loved Hangover I. I liked liked Hangover II. I hate hated Hangover III. I really liked Hangover I, it was a lot of fun. Hangover II was a re dash of Hangover I in a different city. It was a bit raunchier, but still a lot of fun. Hangover III was NOT a hangover movie. It's storyline was different and included murder X3 in a NOT so funny manner. Sorry, but the humor of the Hangover series was dropped completely in this movie. I recommend you NOT watch, was not funny and was actually a bit sad. I love the stars of this movie... Was sad to see this!!!!! Okay, apparently I don't have enough line of text for this review. That is very funny, so sorry for the extraneous lines of review text. Ugh, what is with IMDb that I have to write so much. Have you see Fast and Furious 6? Well, it is pretty good for a popcorn movie. Have I made the 10 lines of text yet? Oh god, I hope so... Blah Blah Blah... Hehe, this tells me I have some grammar and spelling errors...

awesome....

Author: sifc33 from Louisville, KY
28 May 2013

This could easily be my favorite of all 3. The plot, story-line is great and keeps you interested. You already know, and empathize with the characters if you'd be following from the beginning.

I was a lil skeptical, just bc I though HO II, was pretty terri-bad. This picks up kinda where two left-off, just hilar. Also, you know they are going to "end" the series, and they did such a good job at getting closer.

Also, hat-tip to screenwriters, etc., bc this one doesn't have anywhere near the "shock" value humor that 2 and 1, relied so heavily on. Instead, it's actually pg-13'ish, and you can tell they weren't going for over-played locker-room humor, but rather but some effort into the script.

All in all, it's awesome and definitely worth seeing.

Oh and Alan (Zack G.,) by far has the best lines in the movie, he's amazing.

An adventure thriller masquerading as the third Hangover

Author: nbalive_fanatic from United States
26 May 2013

If you stayed away from the news on it, (like I did) then fans of the raunchy comedy series (like myself) may find it a bit surprising that this installment plays more like Lethal Weapon than Old School. Director Todd Phillips built himself up on films like the aforementioned Will Ferrell vehicle, as well as the original Hangover and Road Trip. However, instead of going the "more of the same" route that was used on The Hangover II, he veers off the beaten path. He deviates from the backtrack formula that help make the first film and, to a somewhat lesser extent the second, so successful. Yes, Doug does get kidnapped again, but the rest is unlike the familiar drug induced forays.

Instead, the final product is an amalgam of genres; becoming part gangster, part heist, part mystery and part chase. The disappointing thing is that a lot of laughs seem to have been lost along the way. This time around, the gang goes looking for Leslie Chow at the request of a crime figure named Marshall. Once a throwaway mention in The Hangover, He emerges here to reveal that Chow stole half of the take in a gold heist to tune of $20 million or so. On cue, he keeps Doug as collateral and orders The Wolfpack to bring back Chow and the money or their friend gets it. Double crosses ensue, f-bombs fly and things end where they all began.

My biggest grip with The Hangover II was the shift in tone and darker humor. Yes, the first had some pretty sick humor as well, but it never came off as mean spirited. It was good, clean (subjective, I know) fun. The second sucked a lot of that fun out of things with the shootings, missing fingers and FBI busts. This is the nail in the coffin. This movie is devoid of almost all of the silly magic that made the first one click. It pans out more like an action thriller with some attempted laughs peppered in because, oh yeah, that's kind of what the core audience came for. It's as if it forgets to be funny sometimes amidst the chase sequences. People die and get killed. Innocent animals get killed. Heck, even Alan has become more jerk than lovable goofball. Where did the fun go? There's not even a "hangover", for goodness sakes. Not even the injection of the female Zach Galifianakis (a perfectly casted cameo by Melissa McCarthy) helps shine light down this film's dark tunnel.

Jeong and Galifianakis trade off the best lines in what would have probably been better suited as a Hangover spin off. Perhaps, The Chow Adventures: The Hangover Continues. I will give Todd Phillips a hand here for his directing. This might lead to him getting big budget action jobs because he handled himself quite well here. It's just that the twisty-turns seem better for an Ashley Judd flick than the brain scrambled antics of the beloved Wolfpack. If you're looking for laughs that match the first outing or even the second, you'll be sorely disappointed. However, if you're looking for a movie that ties up some loose ends, features a few good quirky comedy bits and some entertaining set pieces then The Hangover III might be your cup of tea. Even if it is a bit bitter.