IMDb > "The Firm" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Firm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Firm" More at IMDbPro »

The Firm, not your average crime drama.

Author: Valithanithizum from United States
8 January 2012

The Firm brings to the table an action thriller crime drama that establishes itself as one of the premiere shows on television. Josh Lucas plays the roll of Mitch McDeere, who is a criminal defense lawyer.

Displayed at the beginning we first learn of his involvement in a scheme that goes way beyond just his criminal cases. Those reasons lead him to be assailed by not only the Mob, but crossed and entrapped into his own firm.

Rewinding the time table we journey back 6 weeks before to see exactly how all this played out. Thus begins the gripping tale of The Firm full of honesty, and deceit. Justice, crime, love, and violence, the firm incorporates very strong lead acting by Josh Lucas which carries the show beautifully. A wonderful witty script, and excellent content make this so far an excellent show and one that will most likely draw in quite a large amount of viewers as we are engrossed with how the story unfolds.

Plenty of riveting action, strong acting, meaningful content, and highly entertaining. I think The Firm establishes itself as something else besides just another TV show.

Top Notch TV

Author: del hart from Tenerife
12 January 2012

Looking at the four reviews that have been posted so far it seems there is a split decision, so i just wanted to make sure that the "good" reviews got the upper hand, so to speak. The writing, directing, acting and plot so far is excellent, i know it is hard to judge something with only seeing the first two episodes, but all i can say is if it continues in this manner then we are in for a really great drama/thriller. For Mr Lucas to jump into the shoes of Tom Cruise and do such a good job, is a credit to his abilities , OK there was a little poetic license applied, but that is expected from any show that is produced, and easy to skip over, it is Television, entertainment for goodness sake, not rocket science. All in all it the opening episodes have set the stage to what could be a really great program, and just for the benefit of the people that will not like it, i have nothing whatsoever to do the the program, and it is a totally unbiased opinion. For those of you that needs to see where this continues from, just grab a copy the the original 1993 film of the same name and give it a spin.

Have a look, make up your own mind

One of the best series in the past few years.

Author: Igor Chouzhyk from United States
13 January 2012

Though this TV-Series is not based fully on the amazing book by John Grisham, it is still as interesting and captivating to watch, as it was to read the book. It has great cast with Josh Lucas and charming Molly Parker along with other great actors. Interesting plot which will keep you guessing what happens next. I am sure that this is the best new series in the past few years and hopefully this won't be another Flashforward and The Event which lasted only for one season. I really think that this show is here to stay, it has a lot of potential and so many ways which it can go. Also, if you love The Suits as much as I do, then I am sure you will love The Firm too.

I kind of like it.

Author: blanche-2 from United States
27 January 2012

I don't remember much about the film "The Firm," and I didn't read the book. This TV series takes up where the film and book left off, with Mitch McDeere (Josh Lucas) deciding to opt out of witness protection after the mobster who wanted him dead dies himself. He and his family, Abby (Molly Parker), their daughter Claire (Natasha Calis), his brother Ray (Callum Keith Rennie), a detective, and Ray's girlfriend Tammy (Juliette Lewis) come home. Mitch opens a private practice, but soon joins forces with a large law firm when he gets a case that could turn into a class action suit.

There's lots going on in this show -- it's told in flashback, and we're shown some very intriguing flash forwards that the story is leading up to. One of Mitch's assigned cases is of a young woman accused of killing a wealthy old lady she had just met; the large firm has some sort of interest in this case, but as yet, we don't know why. And while the mobster is dead, his son has just taken over. Will he want a contract put out on Mitch and his family? We don't know at the time of this writing. And other cases come and go. Plus stuff happening on the family front.

Josh Lucas is very strong as Mitch, and I absolutely love Molly Parker as his wife - a wonderful, graceful presence. Juliette Lewis, as Ray's sexy girlfriend who doesn't look much like a receptionist, is great, as is Rennie as Ray.

I keep reading this show is going to be canceled. Gee, I hope we get to see the whole season.

Great Show, Great characters.

Author: nicmegara from USA
24 January 2012

There is always more to a show than what meets the eye and some critics are either too biased or too old to know what a good show is. I'm not saying i have any experience in that regard but i watch enough TV to know a good show when i see it. The pilot is everything to a new TV show. I believe this show had everything you need in a pilot. Suspense, thrill, curiosity, heart, wit, smarts. etc. etc....The past 4 episodes i've seen haven't failed either. Regardless if you read the stories or saw the movie which i didn't even know existing. I have seen the movie but didn't put the two together. It doesn't matter anyway you will be entertained nonetheless. Great show on a bad network, NBC hasn't been in the loop with good shows. (in my eyes).

Good TV!

Author: dryvodkamartini from United Kingdom
14 January 2012

At first glance, this show appears to be heading downhill with your cliché flashback, & not just one, but two. For me personally, it can be off-putting as you're left wondering at what point the story will return to the present and how long that will take. A somewhat sluggishly directed chase scene at the very beginning can be slightly discouraging, however, things can only get better!

From the main actor to the rest of the cast as introduced in the pilot, they all portray their characters well and deliver good performances. It's not a perfect set-up and there's room for improvement as far as some of the guest appearances are concerned, but all in all a good show!

Would I recommend this show to friends? Yes and hopefully they keep delivering!

I'm Sticking With It -- and Still Hanging in There

Author: cabluedevil25 from United States
4 March 2012

Have watched THE FIRM since it started. The "wet-behind-the-ears" Tom Cruise has returned 10 years later as the mature Josh Lucas in the Mitch McDeere role -- and that's a huge improvement. Lucas carries the show, and is a terrific (albeit hugely idealistic) lead. The brother Ray has caught fire as his best ally in the past 2-3 shows, after a modest start.

I suppose the two biggest reasons I like this show are (1) it's a combination of Perry Mason & The Fugitive, and (2) Tricia Helfer is the most venomous female lead since Jane Badler in "V". She snarls when talking about people behind their backs (all of whom are beneath her), then turns on the charm when they drop into her penthouse office.

There are instances in several episodes where the story lags, but then there's an action scene just around the corner to perk you up. Also, each episode includes a weekly case that must be started and decided within about 38-40 minutes of airtime -- not easy to pull off. The rest of the hour is spent on advancing the overall plot line. But despite this observation, it's still a damn good show -- so I'm in for the duration.

UPDATE -- so now it's nearly three months later in the saga ... NBC has jacked us around by switching it to Saturday nites, then pre-empting it in a heartbeat. But I'm still t'round, and a loyal fan. I have caught the headlines about the upcoming "cancellation" -- but that's something I'm not buying since we're now only 4-5 shows short of the 22 episodes that were originally shot. I suspect with episode 22 will come the resolution of the whole yarn, and I'm good with that. Josh Lucas is still firmly in control as the lead, and does a damn good job. The characters of Ray, Tammy, and Abby have defined themselves as the weeks have gone by. Two weeks ago, after a surprise suicide, I was trying to figure out where they would head next to keep me riveted, but the storywriters have now brought the long smoldering MOB out of the bullpen, and back into the picture, as well as this surprisingly strange behavioral twist in Mrs. McDeere. I think both of these plots will play out nicely in the next month, and THE FIRM will run its course. Again, I think it is entertaining, dynamic, and just feverish enough in its pacing to outrun our chance to say "now wait a minute" when something doesn't ring 100& true. It is a lot like the vastly underrated film "The Parallax View", where Director Alan Pakula gave us a roller-coaster of (somewhat) plausible plot twists, and never let us catch our breath to protest. So the critique here is unwavering -- I've been in the flow for 18+ weeks, I'm good to go for the final 4. I happen to like this show ... and Josh Lucas is THE MAN... !

Great show and keeps you intensely interested.

Author: elvispress-ley from Hutchinson, KS
11 March 2012

Over the last 5 days, my wife and I have just watched all the episodes so far. While i see some negative reviews, i feel how we have watched the show have been far more enjoyable. We did like wise with Lost and Prison Break. So maybe we have found a system that works well for us (watch several episodes at once) but i feel with shows i listed above, it may well be essential. This way you can keep up to date and be more clued in to the show and story lines. While i see something that i feel is stupid, i.e. they all discover that the list of numbers on the noble card is now a fake, they never presume that the bag/case may have been altered in some way, LIKE be bugged. Besides which show or movie doesn't have little flaws or errors? Anyway the way this show is written, directed and acted is extremely clever and we so hope it goes beyond one season.

Exciting and Thought Provoking

Author: wnicolow-1 from United States
8 April 2012

We have enjoyed this series and find each member of the cast grows on you like a good friend. The only problem we have is with the network and the fact that they keep delaying episodes or changing the broadcast time.

The many little stories going on simultaneously with the cast is great and the director never leaves you without continuity from chapter to chapter. Some viewers may not prefer the on-going investigation of corruption that appears to creep along from episode to episode. But that is what real life is about. This program is similar in format to one of my other favorite series: "Burn Notice".

Watch it and you will be hooked.

Good show, definitely worth watching.

Author: mendo49 from United States
18 March 2012

I enjoy this program. It's refreshing to have a show that is intelligent and entertaining. I like the difference of the characters, the two brothers are as different as night and day, as well as the two women - a nice compliment. I did not read the book or see the movie, so I am not familiar with the storyline but it's interesting, nice twists and turns. A bit of an adjustment in showing the end of the story and then to the beginning, it keeps the show interesting.

Unlike this show, so much of the programming on TV these days isn't worth watching - too stupid, too much sex, too many breasts, canned laughter, lame characters, spoiled children - young and old, idiot story lines, etc.

Good show. I feel that this show is worth the time it took to register for this site and hopefully, it will encourage other people to watch this program, I hope it will not be canceled.