IMDb > Game Boys (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Game Boys

Game Boys More at IMDbPro »

A video game style movie that isn't action filled but yet great!!!!

Author: moviefreak2010 from United States
24 September 2011

3 1/2 out of 4 points

NOTE: Movie is only available on thecinemasnob.com.

The first time I've discovered Brad Jones, the writer-director and star of GAME BOYS was through Doug Walker's film KICKASSIA who played his internet show character The Cinema Snob. Since then, I've been a admirer of his show. It's only been a couple of months when I discovered Brad Jones the filmmaker with his films FREAK OUT, CHEAP, MIDNIGHT HEAT, and this film. The only other film I saw was CHEAP but I look forward to seeing the others.

But I look up about what all the movies are about and its safe to say that Jones' GAME BOYS is the most innocent and romantic of all his films. He steps away from the sleazy exploitation films for once to create this work of gem that can be recommended to those who are nostalgic about video games or particular...bad nostalgic video games.

The plot centers around Jones as Scott and his best friend Ray (Alex Shryock) as they like to do nothing but play video games, talk about video games, and buy video games from their local store. Jones befriends the cashier SALLY (Bianca Queen, also the producer of the film).

That day Scott is dumped by his girlfriend and becomes depressed. In order for Scott to get his mind off of things, Ray comes up with the idea of having a contest to whoever can get the highest amount of points on Custer's Revenge (which I never heard about till now).

Finding this game is going to be difficult so they search for the game. Meanwhile, Jones begins to have a romance with Sally and invites her to the contest as well.

The acting here is wonderful especially by Jarrid Foiles and Brain Irving who bring a lot to their roles. Jones and Queen's chemistry is very good and I wanted to see more of them together. Actually I never thought I say this but...BRING ON A SEQUEL.

Overall, Game Boys is an under rated gem from Brad Jones. The film is the most PG of all his movies even though all of the characters say the F-WORD like their passing out candy but it still doesn't take away from the innocent and warmness of the film. And trust me, after seeing CHEAP...this is a Disney film in comparison.