IMDb > The Body (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
El cuerpo

The Body More at IMDbPro »El cuerpo (original title)

Excellent Thriller!!!

Author: dcabella77 from Rosario, Argentina
2 May 2013

At first, i tough this is not going to be a good movie, but later on i realize that has a very good plot and a solid performance of the entire cast. this is the kind of movie that you must see every detail. kept you intrigue along the entire film. The end was the best, a really good end, like the kind of movies you don't know what's gonna happened to the final. the art is for me another strong point, really well ambiance when you also can feel the mystery.

So i give 8 out of 10 to this great Spanish film. Very recommendable. PD: as you can see English is not my first language, so sorry for the basics lines.

Try to guess the solution of this mystery with success before the last 7 minutes and ...you are a genius!!!

Author: ntinoskouis from Greece
23 June 2013

At first i must say that in my opinion the makers of this wonderful movie intended not to make just a story that their audience will sit and enjoy the -well done- build tension , but they wanted to amaze their audience-and in my case they did it! You 'll not believe to your eyes at the last 7 minutes of this piece of art , of course you can try guessing about 10 scenarios at the first 94 minutes the solution of this mystery ...unsuccessfully . The actors were well selected and i must admit that they did their jobs very professional and they helped in the creation of this -almost- masterpiece ... I don't want to spoil anything , i recommend everyone to see this movie and some of you(like me for example) try not to stay with your mouth open at the end ...

One of the best thrillers of cinema. Excellent!!!

Author: Waldenir Silva from Alagoas, Brasil
15 June 2013

Congratulations to Spanish cinema by presenting us with yet another thriller / mystery spectacular without showing explicit sex, as we have seen in some Spanish films. The movie is great! The way that every thriller should be: it leaves you lost, but arrives somewhere. And this place is beyond the obvious. The atmosphere of suspense and tension remains, and we are honored by the environment's main plot: nothing less than a morgue! The unwinding of the film is fantastic, amazing and high quality. The Spanish film hardly disappoints me. This one does not disappoint at any time. We watch unblinking eyes and is surprised as the quality of the excellent climate of suspense. The final part is amazing, leaves us with an open mouth and makes us wonder as was thought up this great script. Without blinking my grade is 10! Never has a movie surprised me as much as this in recent years.

Thanks again Spanish cinema!

A perfectly crafted mystery & thriller from Spain

Author: Ajit Tiwari from India
15 June 2013

A very exciting thriller with many interesting and surprised fluctuations which probably even had puzzled Hitchcock but also made him proud.

The film is very classic, almost old-fashioned, and it flirts healthy and often with particularly mentioned the horror master. The story moves very smoothly between Film Noir, and more traditional contemporary thriller.

"The Body" is about a woman's dead body disappears from the morgue. The husband of the deceased woman, quickly becomes a target of both, the murder of his wife and stealing the body. He was called to the scene to assist with the investigation. The interrogations led by the right shady Commissar, with his own dim past and hearings interspersed with flashbacks of the couple's life, which is played in various flashbacks.

Everything takes place in a proper rainy night in the morgue and the surroundings could hardly be more nasty and claustrophobic. The film really works admirably well and fooling with the viewer, exactly where it wants. The script is well written and although certainly a gap or two can be found, don't bother to look when you are in the middle, instead of being frightened and follow the clues presented.

The film is directed by Oriol Paulo, who two years ago-wrote sovereign "Julia's Eyes" in which Belen Rueda plays Julia and in "The Body" she plays the unsympathetic Mayka (the deceased), an incredibly believable performance. There are good actors in all roles and although sometimes the commissar is near the border of caricature so successful balancing act and it never gets too much.

The last scene when everything unraveled is somewhat contrived. Everything needs was not unfolded and some unanswered questions are good to keep a little spice, but despite the somewhat pedagogical explanations in the end, everything leading up to it wonderfully confusing and nerve wracking as well, as I really hope to get jump-to more such films by Oriol Paulo ahead.

7.5/10.

This is a highly suspenseful and cerebral mystery , filled with twists and turns

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
1 September 2013

Mystery , intrigue about bizarre facts happen in a morgue .The same team - actress (Belen Rueda) , producer (Mikel Lejarza , Mar Targarona) , screenwriter (Oriol Paulo) , cameraman (Oscar Faura)- who made ¨The orphanage¨ and ¨The Julia's eyes¨ bring us another suspenseful film , ¨ The body¨ or ¨El Cuerpo¨ . The picture is thrilling and some moment brilliant , and the actors are quite reliable as Jose Coronado and Hugo Silva . And again a wonderful Belen Rueda as a nasty woman in a movie with intense sequences of tension and suspense . It deals with a veteran detective called Jaime Peña (Jose Coronado) searches for the body of a femme fatale (Belen Rueda is sensational in one of her best films along with ¨El Orfanato¨) which has gone missing from a morgue . As main suspect there appears her husband Alex Ulloa (Hugo Silva) . Alex is detained and finding alone in the morgue , he is terrorized by strange events , surrounded by corpses and then weird deeds take place .

The film contains tension , thriller , drama , mystery , plot twists and shocks , including decent scares with tense sequences especially in its final part , in a unexpected denouement , near of the end . Hitchcock-style psychological thriller , being surprisingly good and compellingly realized . The original as well as entertaining idea is overspread throughout the movie , but not totally satisfactory , including conventional pitfalls . The main cast is frankly fine , such as José Coronado as Inspector Jaime Peña who bears a dark past , Hugo Silva as upsetting Álex Ulloa , Belén Rueda as Mayka Villaverde , a selfish and domineering woman and the young lover Aura Garrido as Carla . The motion picture is pretty well , although sometimes stagy and packs excessive turns ; however is entertaining for continuous suspense . Sinister and mysterious atmosphere plenty of lights and shades , it is finely photographed by cameraman Oscar Faura . Suspenseful and stirring musical score by Sergio Moure who previously composed successful films as ¨Unconscious¨ and being expert on frightening atmosphere such as ¨Thesis on a Homicide" and ¨Kidnapped¨ .

The film was well produced by various producers , such as Joaquin Padro , Mar Targarona and Mercedes Gamero ; all of them have produced a lot of successes in the new Spanish cinema . Being professionally written and directed by Oriol Paulo who formerly realized only short movies and wrote ¨The Julia's eyes¨ . The movie will appeal to suspense enthusiasts and Belen Rueda fans . Rating : Good , better than average . It's well worth watching and contains some really thrilling scenes and disturbing images .

Tales-from-the-crypt-esque thriller

Author: Agnelin from Madrid, Spain
12 August 2013

Spain's industry -or, to better say, some young filmmakers and studios- are producing fine thrillers lately. "The body" feels like the last installment of a trilogy of movies all produced by the studios Rodar y Rodar and all starred by Belen Rueda, the first being the awarded and applauded "The orphanage".

Anyway, "The body" is an entirely different movie with very different goals, and it is more similar to the second movie, "Julia's eyes": it's a fast-paced thriller filled with twists, red herrings and a satisfactory ending. It follows young Alex, recently widowed of his older and richer wife, Mayka, who died of a sudden heart attack. Mayka was the owner of several pharmaceutical companies and is portrayed as a woman with a strange sense of humor and a domineering personality. This part of the movie is quite well done, because we are well informed of the peculiarities of this couple, even when the movie doesn't take a lot of time for this description (it's all done in flashbacks). Anyway, the action begins when Mayka's body goes missing from the morgue it was stored at, which brings police detective Jaime Peña to the crime scene.

Shortly thereafter, we learn that Alex has an affair with young and beautiful Carla, and that they have both plotted and executed the murder of Mayka. But the questions promptly arise in the characters' and the viewers' mind: is Mayka really dead? If so, who snatched the body, and with what purpose? And if she isn't dead, what happened and where is she?

Mayka is nowhere to be seen, but, dead or alive, her presence quickly infects the place, plaguing Alex's mind and making him fearful for whatever may be happening. Jaime Peña is deeply suspicious of him from the get-go and quickly becomes a fierce adversary to Alex.

As the search for the missing body goes on, Alex and Peña struggle to find out the truth, each with his own motive. And so does the viewer. The whole story unfolds in a bleak setting -a morgue, in the middle of the night-, with some winks to the supernatural, giving the movie the looks and feel of an extended "Tales from the crypt" episode.

"The body" is a good thriller that really delivers. The script takes some liberties in order to bamboozle the viewer, but -in my opinion- such liberties are not only inevitable but also forgivable (although many will probably differ). Ultimately, "The body" achieves what it set out for: grab our interest from the start, follow the story closely, keep guessing and changing our mind as to what really happened, and provide us with an ending that, even though it is not perfect and could be regarded as far-fetched, is quite fulfilling and fitting for this story and its characters.

The acting by the main four actors is good, the strongest man being the well-respected Spanish actor Jose Coronado.

Mystery thriller par excellence

Author: kosmasp
18 March 2014

This is how you have to do a movie like this. It's a ride from beginning to end and it will keep you guessing throughout. Maybe you'll get things right and see the signs, maybe you're just enjoying things unraveling as the movie flows by. Whatever the case, you can be more than entertained with this little gem.

The acting is top notch and the script is really clever (I try to use this term as lightly as possible) and there is a touch of coolness to the characters, that is not forced upon them. The story might seem bigger at the beginning that it finally turns out to be, and there might be people disappointed with the ending. Take a chance though ... or wait for the inevitable US remake ...

Marvellous movie!

Author: somkaviraj from India
8 March 2014

Of the various movies you see, there are those very few ones which linger in your mind for quite sometime & keeps you enthralled.

Well,this movie is one of them. A truly sublime thriller in every sense.

The story which is the spine of the movie is very good & the actors justify the role of characters brilliantly. Never mind the language, as Spanish is not my mother tongue but this movie really exemplifies that true cinema is beyond regions & boundaries. The direction is top notch & the movie grips you from the very beginning itself & won't let you go. As the story builds up & the viewer tries to decipher the next sequence,believe me it gives you unexpected twists & turns every time. I know I sound like I'm extolling the movie but it really deserves it. Overall,a very intelligent script, excellent direction & a true masterpiece movie indeed. See it to believe it.

Very suspenseful mystery thriller with an outrageously good ending

Author: Tom_Soprano from England
19 October 2014

El Cuerpo (THE BODY) was my first experience watching a Spanish film and I am extremely pleased I found it because it's a truly memorable movie.

The plot seems rather simple at the start, just like any usual police investigation but it goes so much deeper throughout the film. I was questioning everything and everyone and I still didn't see the twist coming. It was completely outrageous but executed to perfection, leaving me truly satisfied. The ending absolutely blew me away.

Most of the film is set in the morgue with lots of interrogations and phone calls being made, the film flows along at a nice pace with plenty of twists along the way. We see a twist, think the story is over and explained and then something else comes up! We see different parts of the movie from many different perspectives.

The story towards the end becomes so complex that we might just assume that it will have some sort of supernatural twist because I didn't see a way how it could go that would be realistic but what an ending! truly one of the best twists I've seen in any film.

I highly recommend this film, an excellent mystery thriller with an excellent cast. The subtitles were also easy to follow so that was good.

Excellent Thriller with a Memorable Twist at the End

Author: l_rawjalaurence from London
6 October 2014

THE BODY (EL CUERPO) is one of those thrillers that grips you at the beginning and never lets go till the very end. The plot is straightforward: Álex Ulloa (Hugo Silva) has suffered a sudden bereavement, as his wife Mayka (Belén Rueda) has died of a heart attack. The corpse has been taken to the morgue without a postmortem, but has mysteriously disappeared. The morgue security- guard Torres (Miquel Gelabert) has been scared out of his wits - so much so that he runs out of the building and is knocked down by a car. Inspector Jaime Peña (José Coronado) investigates the crime, but finds the task difficult as he is still plagued by the memory of his wife's death a decade earlier in a hit-and-run accident. Sometimes his emotions get the better of him.

Set largely in and around the morgue, Oriol Paulo's film is a masterpiece of modern film noir, complete with dark shadows, long tracking shots down corridors, and point-of-view shots where we share the protagonists' uncertainties about what is going on. To complicate the plot still further, he introduces flashbacks into the past lives of Jamie and Álex, to show how the past exerts an almost paralyzing influence over the present.

The action takes place one dark night, where the rain pours down outside, confining all the characters to the claustrophobic space of the morgue. Within that space, Jaime apparently tries his best to tease out the truth of the crime, but Álex keeps resisting him. On the other hand, Álex tries to communicate with his girlfriend Carla (Aura Garrido), in an attempt to elope with her, but finds his endeavors continually frustrated by circumstances. Neither he nor Jaime can apparently obtain what they want. In this disordered environment, the logic of cause and effect has been deliberately disrupted.

As the action unfolds, so director Paulo further complicates the action by introducing sequence that represent projections of the protagonists' imagination; in other words, putting their assumptions on screen. This further complicates our comprehension of the plot; we have no idea how to separate 'truth' from 'fiction'. This confusion makes the dénouement all the more shocking.

Brilliantly performed, with Coronado giving a quite outstanding performance as the guilt-ridden inspector, THE BODY deserves to be considered a modern classic.