IMDb > "Major Crimes" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Captain Raydor takes over

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
13 August 2012

I've got to admit I will miss Kyra Sedgwick, but for the past couple of years Mary McDonnell has been honing and refining her character of Captain Sharon Raydor so that we are familiar with her. As Sedgwick left the LAPD, McDonnell was poised to take over.

I do love Captain Raydor, she stays in control no matter what, completely unlike Brenda Lee Johnson who occasionally liked to cowgirl it up and cut a few corners in the pursuit of justice. Cutting a few too many corners is what forced her to leave. Raydor will never cut corners, she's all about the rules.

Like Sedgwick this first season and probably for some time after that McDonnell will be gradually winning over, Tao, Flynn, Sanchez and Provenza,those who hold over from Brenda Lee's crew. Brenda Lee's crew took a long time to warm up to her and even though McDonnell rose from the ranks, the squad views her still as the woman who was investigating their methods from The Closer.

I'm not sure that bringing in Graham Patrick Martin a street kid who was a material witness to a murder left over from the last episode of The Closer is a good fit. Clearly he's brought in for two reasons, to get a younger audience watching the show and to develop a personal life for Captain Raydor. She's got two grown children and I'm sure they'll visit from time to time which will provide plots for future episodes.

I like what Mary McDonnell does with her character of Captain Raydor and I hope the show lasts.

Character development and plot movement

Author: donaldedwardbatt
18 September 2012

Major Crimes has taken the already rich and developed characters of The Closer and endowed them with more back story and more emotional depth. I particularly like that every character is now up front and am thoroughly enjoying the interplay among the characters. The new teen character is helping to expose a tender side of Lt. Raydor. Kudos to all the actors for developing such dynamic and sympathetic portraits.

In addition, the writing and directing is exemplary. The asides and business among the characters enriches the relationships, and the plots are moving, sometimes at breathtaking speed, but also with a rhythm that enhances the tension and release of the plot line. This show is the highlight of our television viewing week!

Good start

Author: alameli from Poland
15 August 2012

I was thinking whether to watch or not MAJOR CRIMES, and yes, I am gonna watch! Traditionally, quite a lot of humor. And, as in first episodes of THE CLOSER - conflict between the department and the new boss. This time conflict is deeper, I believe, and the scene between Provenza and Raydor was very intense. I was always fond of cap. Raydor both because she is played by Mary McDonnell and because she is such a pain in the ass. She is so cold-blooded and determined sometimes, and than next moment you can see her confusion and doubts - as with Rusty storyline here, which I liked very much, and I'm looking forward to see, what happens next with the boy.

I'm also curious, if Raydor's passion to the rules will ease with time, or if she'll have to break the rules one day, may be? And if there will be a situation, when she will not agree to negotiate plea bargain... All of this could be interesting twists in the plot and could enhance drama.

Love. This show!!

Author: Monethumphries from United States
18 September 2012

I watched The Closer from beginning to the end! I absolutely love this spin off. I love that some of the characters have stronger roles and I love the firm and human side that Mary McDonnell brings to the show. Last weeks episode was so realistic with the use of infra red surveillance equipment and I must say that I was on the edge of my seat during the shoot out! I love the continuing appearance of Rusty and honestly prefer him and his problems to Brenda Leigh's cats. Seeing Fritzy in ongoing episodes lends to the continuity of the story line of the last show of The Closer. I do miss Det. Gabrien and I hope he has moved on to to some opportunities but all in all I totally do enjoy the new show and the existing cast!

Rusty needs to go!

Author: e_j_powers
19 March 2015

The Closer was one of the best shows ever on TV. For the first few seasons, every episode was riveting and most episodes had an unexpected twist or surprise ending. The final episodes of the series gradually and flawlessly morphed Captain Raydor, who had always been a thorn in Brenda Leigh's side, into a hero and set her up to be the lead of the Major Crimes squad. The best of the cast from The Closer was carried over as well, and it looked as if the spin off might turn out to be nearly as good, if not quite as good, as the original show. Unfortunately, while Major Crimes is pretty good, even very good at times, it falls short of its early promise, mostly because of the storyline involving Rusty, Capt. Raydor's teenage ward. Rusty comes across as unpleasant, rude, annoying, and petulant, and the writers have given him way too much screen time. In addition, his constant presence at the police station is not credible, as detectives do not have time to coddle a whiny teenager as the Major Crimes squad does, going so far as to help Rusty with his schoolwork and offer him advice at every turn. Without Rusty the series would undoubtedly be far better. But as another reviewer mentioned, he is designed to attract young viewers, and so we're probably stuck with him for the run of the series. Too bad.

I hate Rusty too!

Author: whatithinkis from United States
3 January 2016

ha ha ha! I came here to check to see if maybe they've finally killed him off.

I LOVE the show but had to stop watching' cause I absolutely cannot stand him. So I checked the reviews (as I do periodically) chronologically and look what I found right off (from rosig- 55535 from Canada):

'The Rusty character has high jacked the show; a kidnapping has occurred. The story line is awful, the incessant whining is infuriating and his acting is awful . . .

May I ask if others feel the same way? I have seen other sites where the primary write-ups are virtually all "negative" Rusty based. Do the producers and writers not read these. The minute I see him come into a shot I fast forward. Not fun at all.'

YES! others feel the SAME WAY!

I feel EXACTLY the same way. PLEASE get rid of this guy. I WANT to watch the show and can't.

Update. Season 5, Episode 1: So . . . SPOILER ALERT . . . SPOILER ALERT . . . SPOILER ALERT . . . Rusty is now gay. Watching the show I am reminded that I truly enjoy it. Rusty at least looks a little better. Still sets my teeth on edge, but I fast-forwarded through his scenes and I really enjoyed the other parts of the show . . . SPOILER ALERT . . . he'll be moving out and somebody else will be moving in, so maybe he'll slowly ride off into the setting sun. LOVE the show . . . PLEASE get rid of Rusty once and for all. Some kind of tragic accident. Or a murder . . . !

Sigh . . . episode 10ish . . . they're keeping him. I give up. I just hate even seeing Graham Patrick Martin in the frame. Sorry Provenza and Sanchez, funny as you all are I give up. Good-bye.

A Good Spin-Off

Author: hipthop from United States
23 September 2012

I really enjoyed The Closer so I was really sad to hear about Kyra leaving. However, the spin-off, to me is very good. I think it has a totally different vibe and feel from the original show. I enjoy the supporting staff and like the continuation of their interactions. I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more information regarding the politics behind the change from Brenda to Raydor. On the pilot it seemed to insinuate that the background of "men's dominance and undermining tactics, would be continuing. However, I am glad not to see that at this point. I feel that took away from the premise of the show. I hope this show continues because I will certainly be a loyal fan.

This show is a winner!

Author: Paularoc from United States
23 August 2012

This spin-off is getting off to a great start. Most of Brenda's crew remains in Major Crimes and as to be expected doesn't warm up to Captain "by the book" Raydor, to say the least. I like the Raydor character and McDonnell's deadpan delivery style which often results in pithy and/or humorous observations. Like when she says to Provenza, in the second episode, something like "Why don't you stay with the department until you find a job where everything is always fair." This was not said sarcastically but ruefully for she has just been cheated out of a promotion - so no, life in the workplace is not always fair. McDonnell's character is so different from Sedgwick's - and this is good because they're both interesting. It's great that so many of the cast from The Closer moved over to the new show (Corey Reynolds' character didn't but Gabriel was my least favorite character so that's okay with me; besides given the attitude of a couple of the team members towards him, it would have made no sense to keep Gabriel in the Major Crimes department). I'm not too taken with the material witness kid yet but maybe he'll get a little less annoying. I liked the first episode of Major Crimes as much as I liked the first episode of The Closer. Here's hoping it will last as long.

I love it <3

Author: Tara Sinclair (t-sinclair)
11 September 2012

I must say, I don't care what anybody else thinks, if you were a real fan of the Closer, then basically, whats the difference??? Gosh i was just so Happy to see my people again :D....OK, Brenda and Gab are missing but the rest are there back to there usual gig....whats up...at least we have still got them a while longer, I was so happy to hear the music, see the crime and watch Buzz getting all Buzzie again...good, good, good, no complaints from me...keep the fun coming ;)....Just don't know what else I want to write about 10 lines more ^^. Umm, I think the Captains good and it was really funny bringing "Brenda's mess, back in" how could anybody not like it, changes had to be made...else people would have sued more ^^

Excellent plot!

Author: guldikeni from Turkey
13 October 2012

Excellent plot.I like Captain Raydor.Now that we can see more of her inner world. Of course I miss Brenda,but Captain Raydor is showing us that the same job can be performed in different yet equally perfect way.Provenza's more responsible personality(in comparison to that in 'The Closer')is really in place according to new circumstances.On the whole, characters are very attractive,interesting,consistent with reality and these in 'The Closer'.There is not logical gaps between 'The Closer' and 'MAJOR CRIMES'and this is respect for us, for viewers.We like clever plots.I hope it will continue.Thank you for creating such a wonderful film.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]