IMDb > The Brass Teapot (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Brass Teapot

The Brass Teapot More at IMDbPro »

Excellent comedy, truly original film, not 'just another movie'

Author: barb-627-568728 from United States
8 March 2013

I truly enjoyed this movie. It has an original plot and it isn't over done. Juno Temple was wonderful, and although I'm not normally a film buff, I was so impressed with this film that I couldn't help but put a review in.

The plot was so unique, and included enough history that you really start to wonder...

A great dark comedy - it's not a stupid comedy, it can really make you think. How far would YOU go? What would YOU do if you had possession of the teapot? If a movie can make you think - actually think about what you'd do - it's a successful film, in my opinion.

Great film - great cast! This is one I'll purchase to keep in my home to watch again!

As Ramaa Mosley's debut film, "The Brass Teapot" shines.

Author: Chad Pierce
13 April 2013

Ramaa Mosley's debut film "The Brass Teapot" stands out as an enjoyable indie flick. Having been a fan of Juno Temple for quite some time, it's nice to see her breaking out into larger roles.

The acting in the film superb, and the plot plays out well. The film is quite enjoyable all around, and makes you question your moral integrity when you put yourself in their position.

The temptation of money is a powerful one. How far would you go to get all the money you have ever wanted?

Ultimately, it's an enjoyable film that you should check out given the chance.

No rubbing or wishing required

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
6 March 2013

Ramaa Mosley's The Brass Teapot is yet another film that exercises its unalienable right to be an enthusiastically quirky gem of an indie film. My definition of "enthusiastically quirky" will likely be different than yours, as mine concerns a premise that needed to take a considerable amount of time to develop and an even larger amount of work in order to sustain feature-length. The quintessential example that comes to mind is last year's black comedy Bernie, by notorious indie director Richard Linklater, concerning the gentle town funeral director who did the unthinkable by killing a verbally abusive older woman whose husband had recently passed. It was a terrific motion picture in terms of tone, character development, and setting, but also, took on the challenge of humanizing a rather genial character doing the truly despicable. What made it "enthusiastically quirky" was just the overall way it was conducted, with characters with enigma and personality, and a storyline that you wouldn't believe would be interesting after fifty minutes. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, when you see enthusiastically quirky, you'll know enthusiastically quirky.

But I digress. The Brass Teapot revolves around John and Alice (Michael Angarano and Juno Temple , respectively), a lower middle class couple struggling to make ends meet in such unforgiving times. He is a telemarketer selling needless Television warranties. She is a woman unable to accept an entry-level position and start straight at the top, with an arts history major under her belt.

One day, they stumble upon an antique shop run by an older woman, and when she finds herself in an "I desperately want this phase," Alice steals a brass teapot out of the blue. Not long after stealing it, Alice and John discover that the teapot, which is beautifully welded and meticulously crafted, actually possesses a strange power; if the owner of it inflicts pain on themselves or someone else they will be rewarded with money, often in the hundreds. This causes Alice and John to resort to drastic measures to obtain cash, with methods including a full-Brazilian wax and dental surgery without any Novocaine. They soon learn that their newfound treasure and only source of income is a highly desired piece by not only violent Orthodox Jews but a mysterious Asian man, who claims that everyone who has come in contact with that pot has emerged forever changed and not for the better.

Of course, Alice and John do not listen and play by the teapot's obscure rules, which seem to change at anytime. For example, after a while the pot seems to stop providing so much cash for physical pain and resorts to mental pain, which Alice and John decide to inflict on each other and their closest friends. The comic possibilities are endless, and writer Tim Macy (Who also wrote the 2007-short of the same name) exposes them all with blackly funny results and a zealous energy.

However, perhaps one-hundred and one minutes devoted to a story of a teapot that can produce money at the expense of pain may be a bit lengthy. I can see some tiring after twenty minutes and some wanting more from this story. For me, this was around perfect length; it exercises all or most possibilities that can be done with the story, it keeps things fast-paced and entertaining, and, for the most part, we resonate with the characters' dilemmas and see them as more as story archetypes. This is a better alternative than melodramatic indie fare, to say the least.

I've been victim to stupidity when it comes to picking films based on their actors and not totally thinking the premise over, but The Brass Teapot was a fine gamble. It has heart, wit, intelligence, and humor almost bursting from its seams. Mark it down as yet another quirky film for the year of 2013, but put it in the category of quirky films that work efficiently.

Starring: Michael Angarano and Juno Temple. Directed by: Ramaa Mosley.

Surprisingly good

Author: JenEvans1 from United Kingdom
18 March 2013

I read the plot for this one and thought that it sounded a bit lame. But it was, in fact surprisingly good! It was certainly original - even though we could guess what would happen at times, when it did happen it was much more entertaining than expected.

The stars, Juno Temple and Michael Angarono were a great combination. But the plot didn't rely solely on its central characters to provide the fun - there were a couple of great sub-plots in there - the sister and her husband were an excellent addition to the storyline, as were their snooty friends.

I thought that the inventive ways in which the characters tortured themselves was hilarious, for me the only danger seemed to be that at some point the plot would get too dark and lose its sense of humour. But I'm glad to say that it didn't'. Im scoring this an 8 because I really did enjoy it all the way to the end!

Forego The Pain Of Watching

Author: from United States
14 May 2013

"The Brass Teapot" is an ultra-thin allegory pointing an accusatory finger at the folly of human greed at any cost. The Get-Rich-Quick American ideal of reaping big reward without hard work is also observed - from 10,000 feet.

Predictable from frame one, this film is woefully miscast. The male lead, Michael Angarano, sleepwalks through a part requiring far more thoughtfulness than he's capable of delivering. Perhaps it's in the comparison. He shares the screen with greed incarnate, a spot-on Juno Temple. They're educated young marrieds "a couple of notches above white trash" struggling financially in bad economic times without hope of a good job. A legendary brass teapot is stolen by she and soon afterward it's discovered money spits out when pain is registered nearby.

Unfortunately, "The Brass Teapot" wallows in the aforementioned white trash sentiments. The masochism, physical, sexual and emotional sadism flies fast and furious and veers well into gratuitous. Scenes that should boil with an acrid potency - the verbalization of the partners worse thoughts about each other - are instead thrown away and unintentionally become satire.

Add two Hasidic Jews threatening the couple but who don't want the (stolen from their Aunt) teapot back (????). Then there's a mysterious Chinese doctor trying to save the couple from the teapot's clutches. Seems thousands used the teapot through many, many centuries but it takes our white trash heroes to have the courage to give it up. Balderdash!

The Director's inclusion of personal beliefs, Theosophy, further tarnishes the teapot. Bad form, Ms. Mosley.

While the story sounds fun and entertaining, it is poorly executed. With neither enough seriousness nor comedy, "The Brass Teapot" fails to whistle loud enough to be heard from the kitchen. (Unless you relish schadenfreude.)

lazy Sunday afternoon

Author: Speek_ from Netherlands
7 April 2013

My first review on IMDb. I wanted to write this, because the current reviews, i felt, were too positive. NOT because this is a bad movie, but just because it's an indie movie, shot on a low budget, doesn't make it a good movie. The movie is well written, the acting is very decent, but for me, it just didn't do it. From before the first scene in the movie, you can predict what is going to happen. The title says it all. They get the teapot, and all is well, then they get in trouble, but it all turns out for the best. blablabla same'ol same'ol. The only original thing about the movie is the teapot, but again, the title says it all. But if you're home on a Sunday afternoon and have nothing to do, this is definitely something to watch, also not a bad idea for a first date. It has a couple of laughs, partial nudity, a lot of intimate moments, and you don't really have to pay attention. Oh, and i did like the soundtrack/score. For that I gave it 6 stars

Greed and Regret

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
8 December 2013

Alice (Juno Temple) and John Macy (Michael Angarano) is a young couple that is facing economical difficulties. John is a loser that has been working as salesman in a lousy job in order that Alice concludes the college. However, the ambitious Alice aims a top position and cannot find a job. When John is fired from his job, he has a car accident with Alice on the road in front of an antique house. Alice sees a brass teapot and steals it. Soon she discovers that the teapot is magic and makes money whenever they hurt themselves. The couple is visited by Dr. Ling (Stephen Park) that tells that they should give up of the teapot; otherwise they will be destroyed by the evil power. But the greedy Alice does not want to stop and reaches a next level of meanness.

"The Brass Teapot" is a dark comedy of one joke, a young ordinary couple in love with each other that hurts each other to make money. The story has funny moments, the sexy Juno Tempo shows off most of the time but the plot could have a message against greed and how far a person would go for money. Anyway this movie entertains in a Sunday afternoon. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Loucos por Dinheiro" ("Crazy for Money")

Started out alright, but then the steam went out of the kettle...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
17 April 2014

"The Brass Teapot" started out as quite alright and lasted so up until just after the mid-point or there about, then the steam started to escape out of the kettle (if you get the pun), and it drastically went down in speed and lost appeal fast.

The story is about a struggling young couple who happen to come across a magical brass teapot that has the ability to conjure forth money whenever there is pain and misery in its vicinity. And while every seems to be grand and wonderful with all the money in the world at hand, the curse that the teapot bears soon starts to take a toll on the couple.

I will say that the storyline was good and it had some very interesting moments and aspects. And there were also moments throughout the movie that were great and funny. But it just started to become a dragged out pain to sit through the movie somewhere after the mid-point.

Acting-wise, then "The Brass Teapot" does have some good actors and actresses to the cast list. And it is good to see talents that are in the movie for the talents and not just because they are glamorous and famous.

"The Brass Teapot" had potential, but it just wasn't fully put to use. While I enjoyed the first part of the movie, I ended up with my phone in my hand a couple of times throughout the last part. And as such, because the movie failed to keep my attention, then I am rating "The Brass Teapot" a mere mediocre 5 out of 10 stars.

The Brass Teapot is beautiful

Author: moviefreakjps from Atlanta, GA
15 March 2013

From my review title, I mean I find the teapot itself and the film as a whole quite beautiful. It follows the structure of a fairytale and is quite entertaining throughout. I came across the film through being a huge fan of Juno Temple. After first seeing her in the amazing Greg Araki film Kaboom, I have come to the conclusion that she is wonderful in everything she is in, and everything she is in is wonderful. It remains true here. To avoid spoilers, I will review the film as it involves its setup, which is masterfully executed. A young couple needs money (as many can relate), and a small car accident in front of a thrift store changes their entire life. At the thrift store, Juno's character finds a gorgeous brass teapot (hence the title) and runs with it. By this, I mean literally runs with it. And this teapot spits out cash, but how this happens is wonderfully twisted. I will recommend this to anyone and everyone. Juno Temple must not be stopped.

I had more trouble accepting the storyline than the good performances

Author: edshullivan from Canada Toronto Ontario
13 March 2014

Okay, so I did not give The Brass Teapot a resounding thumbs up, but that is not to discredit the fine acting performances provided by Juno Temple and Michael Angarano, who are the two main stars of the film. The Brass Teapot is just one of those films that did not establish itself in any certain genre. This film is not a comedy, nor is it a drama, nor is it an adventure film. Then what type of film is it you ask of me? Well that is the dilemma I have with this film. It is all over the map, and the main theme being this young married couple who are trying to make it in the business world with little success to date stumble upon a magic brass teapot that spews out hordes of fresh dollar bills when the couple exerts some form of pain upon themselves.

Sooooo, that sounds like an interesting plot doesn't it? Well I don't know what you want to draw out of a film, but I know what I don't want to see in a film. What I don't want to see is over an hour of the film focusing in on the various ways a young couple can subject themselves to continued self inflicted pain by burning, punching, kicking, biting and tripping each other just to see a few bucks spew out of their brass teapot.

Of course there are a number of characters who are trying to figure out how this young struggling couple all of a sudden are living on millionaires row in a mansion. And so the chase is on, and the magical brass teapot exchanges hands a few times as various villains and saviors try to confiscate the teapot from the young couple.

I just found that there was no magic in The Brass Teapot that kept me entertained, nor was the story line appealing. I gave it a 5 out of 10 based on the good performances of Juno Temple and Michael Angarano.