IMDb > "So Random!" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"So Random!" More at IMDbPro »

You're Trying Too Hard, Disney!

Author: slimer8489 from United States
2 December 2014

Alright, so this show came after Demi Lovato supposedly left the show, Sonny with a Chance. In order to save the show, they bring us a show based off of the show that the Sonny character acted in on Sonny with a Chance. And man, they made a big mistake.

First off, it's Disney Channel! The clean, politically correct kids network. I'm sorry, Disney Channel, but you're just not cut out for shows like this. I can see Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network doing this (in fact, they have, and both of those shows were piles of crap), since they have an "edge" to them, but not Disney Channel. But this was during a time when Disney Channel was pumping out shows like this, like Prank Stars. So, this show seems awful literally right from the start.

First off, the performances. They're annoying as hell. The most annoying of performances comes from that weird guy who looks like he's too old for the show. He kind of creeps me out, too.

Second, the "skits". Sometimes, you'll get an original one, like The I'm Going to Marry Zach Feldman Show, but most of the time, you just get "skits" built around pop-culture. Don't believe me? Well, in every episode, they would always make a Harry Potter joke. Repetitive much, repetitive? Yeah, we get it! You don't like Harry Potter! Please move on! More annoyances include a game show parody with nothing but pop-culture references as the guests (like Willow Smith, Fred, and some other guy); MC Grammar (get it? Ha ha! Wait, nothing was funny) and The Biggest Loser Ruins Your Meal, which reminds me...

Third, the "jokes" are too darn predictable, the most predictable one being from The Biggest Loser Ruins Your Meal, where a cop says to an inmate that this is going to be his "last meal ever" (and he does say it in emphasis). Then, we cut to a 90-degree angle, where it only shows the inmate's back and the side of his face. He's the only one there, and he spends the whole time cheering. When I first saw this, I knew what was coming. Going by the way how he's just standing there, and his meal is just sitting there, where ANYONE can grab it, I knew that something was going to happen to it. And sure enough, something did happen to it! Two joggers who claim to be from The Biggest Loser come and you guessed it, take it away! See what I mean? I could go on for hours about this show, but since it's canceled (thank God!), this is where I end my review.

Overall, it just wasn't the right move for Disney Channel. I know they were trying to be like that, but their channel was already established as a too clean network.

So Random... More Like "So Awful!"

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
29 October 2012

A sketch show starring a group of people 5 or 6 years younger than me? Hmmm... Where did I see that before? Oh, of course! This show is a FREAKIN' RIPOFF OF NICKELODEON'S "ALL THAT!"!!!! Unfunny, not witty, and idiotic, this show makes the Brady Bunch Variety Hour look like the Carol Burnett Show! Let's see if there are any signs of this show ripping off "All That!"... "Whale Boy" is a ripoff of "Ear Boy". There are also musical performances by people who don't sing, and a moronic parody of MC Hammer, "MC Grammar". And yes, this is the spin-off of a TV Series I already hate, "Sonny With a Chance". Bottom line: Avoid this TV Series like the Megnitis Outbreak!

So Random was done better 15 years ago and was called All That

Author: ccole-7 from Somewhere in WNY
26 August 2011

"So Random" has already been done. 15 years ago there was a show called "All That", and truthfully many of the skits are so similar in nature that they are pretty much ripped off, with one exception: the "So Random" skits aren't funny. Case in point: "Ask Ashley" from "All That" has become "Tantrum Girl" on "So Random." "Everyday French with Pierre Escargot" is now "Learning Spanish with Reynaldo Rivera." They even ripped off a sketch from SNL by doing a celebrity edition of "Wheel of Fortune." As someone who loves sketch comedy, I understand that there are going to be similarities among shows. But, this isn't an homage to what has been done, this is basically recycled material, and it isn't even done well. To be honest, most of the cast looks disinterested. Maybe it's because most of the cast is now in their 20's with one exception, and the material isn't appealing to them, so they don't sell it as being funny. It comes across as already been done, because it already has been done. I am all for sketch comedy, just try to make it your own. Don't do what others have done.

Has potential, hope it lives up to it

Author: ShiekJ1 from United States
13 June 2011

This show, has a lot of potential, that for the moment they are not living up to. The writers are trying too hard, the actors are trying to hard, and the audience is trying to hard to laugh at forced jokes.

You can tell that the actors don't find the sketches as funny as the writers think that they are. Hopefully they will take a page out of the SNL and All That book and let the actors contribute far more to the writing than the show is currently doing. After all, THEY ARE THEIR TARGET AUDIENCE, not the writers.

Sonny With A Chance, although started off rough, it started becoming a really decent show. Considering they have generally the same writers and pretty much the same cast, there is a pretty good chance that the show will improve.

I wish them all the best of luck for the potential I see for the show.

The show within a show is now a show of its own

Author: bobbymckay93277
25 June 2011

For viewers of Sonny With a Chance, this is the show within the show but is now its own show. After Disney & Demi Levato split ways, the cast of Sonny With a Chance were kept on and Disney decided to just make the cast do a sketch comedy show in the style of All That, MadTV & SNL which is what So Random was supposed to be within the show Sonny With a Chance.

The show is just skits with some musical guest stars mixed in every so often. The musical guest stars are what you'd hear on Radio Disney so if Disney & Radio Disney aren't your cup of tea, you won't like this show. If they are then you'll enjoy this.

Whatever Became Of MacKenzie Falls?

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
9 July 2011

The sudden departure of Demi Lovato from Sonny With A Chance left the rest of the show's cast member somewhat up in the air. I mean as clean teen idols, the Magic Kingdom already has Selena Gomez and Brigit Mendler so they're believers in being prepared.

But instead of cannibalizing the rest of the cast to different projects Disney Studio decided to keep the group together and the show within the show that was in Sonny With A Chance now became So Random. While the other show was on we did see some nice sketch comedy, now we see nothing but on So Random with some occasional musical interludes.

The interesting thing is how Sterling Knight's character Chad Dylan Cooper who had previously disdained the Randoms in favor of his teen soap opera Mackenzie Falls is now part of this show with no explanation. Just whatever happened to his precious Falls?

The sketch comedy is G-rated Saturday Night Live material and pretty funny. I hope this one stays around for a while and the beauty is it can have revolving regulars, cast members can come and go, but the show goes on.

I hope it does.

Disney's first Sketch Comedy Show. (not just for kids!)

Author: evensmart
6 June 2011

So Random is based off the sketch comedy show that was within Disney's "Sonny With A Chance." Much like SNL, the very talented young cast pokes fun at Pop Culture, has ridiculous fake infomercials, and guest musical acts. The new show is very similar to the Holiday special last year, which was one of Sonny's highest rated episodes. The first episode had some gems! Helmet Ninja's concept and antics had my wife and I cracking up as they tried to pursue the evil villain with a "Safety First!" approach. It's kind of hard to defeat evil carrying around padded helmets and safety mats! Sure to be a hit! Can't wait to see more!

Confused about non-renewal of So Random!

Author: fallout330 from United States
15 August 2012

I"m wondering why the Disney channel would cancel a show that was intelligently funny and enjoyable to watch. I personally did several episodes over the year, with my two daughters, and truly felt that the show had a definite future. All the actors on the show where very talented and played the various roles very well, especially Doug Brochu, Brandon Smith, Allisyn Arm, Tiffany Thornton, Sterling Knight, Matthew Montgomery and Damien Hass . Very unfortunate to see this one canceled. It's funny that other shows that have stayed on for years on the Disney channel, that did not equal in entertainment value compared to this one, were renewed, but this one was not. I don't get it.

Best show on Disney

Author: weessie2 from United States
28 October 2012

This show is smart and funny, easily the best show on the Disney network. I'm surprised by other less positive reviews. Any sketch show will have its ups and downs, but nearly every episode has at least one sketch that will make milk come out of my nose. Our whole family watched this when it was on, and we sure miss it. We'd like to see the mother-daughter duo get more skits. One favorite character is Julia Peters, who surely is someday going to marry Zach Feldman. We can all quote Mr. Goodman, the coolest teacher who doesn't play by the rules. Perhaps both Julia and Mr. Goodman are ready to be challenged by adversaries. We love all the pop culture send-ups like Harry Potter and Gollum competing on Wheel of Fortune. My absolute favorite sketch was Your Daughter's Closet, a TV ad for a store for middle aged women who want to dress like tweens on girl's night out.

Fortunately The More Talented Cast Members Are Getting More Screen Time

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
29 February 2012

After a very lame start "So Random" began to figure out what it wanted to be and has quietly moved toward becoming a Disney version of Nickelodeon's "Roundhouse" (1992-1994).

"Roundhouse" was a classic sketch comedy show for adolescents; with skits, music, and dancing showcasing a group of relatively unknown young actors and dancers.

Although "So Random" lacks some of the originality of "Roundhouse" ("Tantrum Girl" is a weak reprise of "Ask Ashley" from "All That" and "Kid Lawyer" is an improved Judge Trudy" from "The Amanda Show") the writers have managed to inject enough new material into each episode to keep it fresh.

It has come a long way from its "Sonny With A Chance" origins; a show that was slowly straggling on its Demi Lovato – Sterling Knight focus. It had become increasingly obvious that Brandon Smith and Allisyn Ashley Arm were "Sonny's" comedic strength and extremely frustrating that they were relegated to supporting roles. Both are far better utilized on "So Random".

Arm (who looks like Saoirse Ronan playing Amanda Bynes) also benefits from frequent pairing with new cast member Audrey Whitby. These two girls have a natural comedic chemistry that produces a lot of synergy when they play off against each other.

It's no coincidence that the quality improvement has coincided with Whitby's increasing screen time. She has created an obsessive teen character (Julia Peters) with her own television show (The I'm Going To Marry Zach Feldman Show) in the tradition of "Wayne's World". With Arm as her cameraman the screen is filled with extreme close-ups of the manic Julia and her breathless dialogue, which compare favorably with television's best classic comedy segments.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.